Rumor--some Alaska cruises cancelled? If so, which ones has anyone heard?

12cruise2

I received notice about noon today that my May 29th Westerdam sailing was going to be cancelled and I was moved to the Eurodam on May 28th.   Same category and same fare.   Here is the email:  

Dear Valued Guest,

We are very sorry to inform you that your 7-day Inside Passage voyage on Westerdam has been cancelled, but are pleased to advise that we have arranged to transfer your booking to a comparable voyage on board Eurodam departing one day earlier.

In order to assure that we can deliver the best Alaska vacation possible as we resume full operation for the first time in three years, we have made the difficult decision to delay the start of one of our two Seattle vessels. As a result of this decision, the early sailings ofWesterdam will be cancelled and her return to service will now be June 12, 2022. Unfortunately, this cancellation affects your reservation. Please accept our most sincere apologies. We know you have been looking forward to your cruise and we feel confident you will enjoy sailing on Eurodam.

We will be transferring your booking automatically to Eurodam’s Saturday departure the day before your current booking. Your cruise will now include scenic cruising in Glacier Bay National Park rather than in Hubbard Glacier, and your itinerary will include all of the same ports of call, plus the addition of Icy Strait Point, Alaska.

Your booking will transfer at your current fare and in the same or equivalent stateroom category (subject to availability), with incentives and promotions protected. Guests with Holland  America  Line’s Flight Ease® air will have their flights rebooked to the new voyage. All other non-cruise-fare purchases through Holland America Line, such as shore excursions, gifts, dining and spa, will be refunded in the original form of purchase.

Guests with independent air arrangements will need to contact their travel advisor or the airline to rebook their flights. Should you incur un-reimbursable change fees, a reimbursement form is available on our website. If you purchased independent vacation travel insurance, please submit a claim through your carrier before submitting a reimbursement request for denied or partially paid claims.

A Signature-Class ship, Eurodam features many of the Holland America Line amenities you were looking forward to onWesterdam, including Pinnacle Grill, Canaletto, the full Music Walkexperience (including Lincoln Center Stage, B.B. King’s Blues Club, and Billboard Onboard), EXC® Port to Table programming, The Greenhouse Spa & Salon®, and more. In addition, Eurodam offers Tamarind, our highly acclaimed restaurant with cuisine exploring the culinary traditions of East Asia. For more information on Eurodam, please visit our website.

We anticipate you or your travel advisor will receive your new booking confirmation by February 14, 2022.

If you prefer not to sail on the replacement voyage on Eurodam, please use the Cancellation Preferences form by February 15, 2022 to cancel your booking and receive a full refund of all monies paid to Holland America Line to the original form of purchase. All non-cruise fare purchases through Holland America Line such as unused Flight Ease® air, specialty dining, spa and shore excursions will be automatically cancelled and refunded to the original form of payment. 

In the event any portion of the cancelled cruise's fare was paid using a previously issued Future Cruise Credit, that FCC will be returned to the guest’s Mariner number account. Please see the Terms & Conditions on the Cancellation Preferences form for more details. If any portion of your travel was not booked through Holland America Line, other booking and cancellation conditions and policies may apply.

Should you have any questions please reach out to your travel advisor or to us at the appropriate office. Our team will be happy to assist you and review your options with you.

• Thanks 4

Does this cruise stop in Victoria and does anyone know if Canada is accepting cruise ships this summer?  If not, will the Senator from Alaska introduce the bill in Congress to allow the temporary cancellation of the PSVA that was done last summer to allow cruise ships out of Seattle not to stop in Victoria?

• Like 2

The first two sailings of the Westerdam have been consolidated  with the Eurodam.  I don't think it is time to worry about the Alaska season.  It's early in the season, so it makes good business sense to combine the Saturday and Sunday sailings that early in the season, especially if the ships have a low passenger count.

The Westerdam is expected resume its Alaska sailings June 12, 2022.

• Like 3

We were on Westerdam 5/8 sailing and we too got an email moving us to the Eurodam the day before. I’m not happy as our FCCs from our cancelled 2020 and 2021 cruises expire in Dec 2022. Wish we could just move to 2023. This year is still so uncertain. 

I originally had a group of over 30 cabins and now we’re down to 7 with 3 of them looking to pull out. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

Does this cruise stop in Victoria and does anyone know if Canada is accepting cruise ships this summer?  If not, will the Senator from Alaska introduce the bill in Congress to allow the temporary cancellation of the PSVA that was done last summer to allow cruise ships out of Seattle not to stop in Victoria?

I don't believe that our Canadian Friends have officially said anything about cruise ships this summer.  However, the cruise lines, the Port of Seattle, and all the Alaskan ports are all gearing up.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

The first two sailings of the Westerdam have been consolidated  with the Eurodam.  I don't think it is time to worry about the Alaska season.  It's early in the season, so it makes good business sense to combine the Saturday and Sunday sailings that early in the season, especially if the ships have a low passenger count.

The Westerdam is expected resume its Alaska sailings June 12, 2022.

But it stinks for those who already made travel arrangements on our own. Now we have only 2 weeks to decide what to do. I don’t think I’ll ever sail HAL again. 

• Like 1

Just now, mom4mom said:

But it stinks for those who already made travel arrangements on our own. Now we have only 2 weeks to decide what to do. I don’t think I’ll ever sail HAL again. 

Totally agree with the disruption of travel plans. Not fair, expensive, stressful and aggravating.  I am sorry for you and everyone else that got caught in the change.  I hope that you will be able to make it work without too much of a financial hit.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mom4mom said:

We’re also booked on Westerdam and being moved over to Eurodam.  Half of us booked Independent Travel and half  booked through HAL Flight Ease.  We booked Independent flights and the price has gone up.   My understanding is we will be reimbursed by HAL for the difference by filling out the form in the letter from Gus.  🤞

We’re definitely going and hoping to get new Booking #’s by end of week so we can rebook our tours.  In these times of Covid we just have to go with the flow although this was a bit of a surprise!  

• Like 6

Who knows, but this may be a good sign for cruises out of Vancouver.

Why would a cruise line eliminate capacity leaving outof Seattle, if the cruises out of Vancouver were likely to be delayed?  

You could possibly shift some of those on vancouver cruises  to seattle cruises.  This consolidation reduces those options.

The number of passengers accross the board could be poor.   In which case, we may be seeing consolidation soon out of Vancouver.    

1 hour ago, strickerj said:

When was this announced? I recently voluntarily switched from a one-way out of Vancouver to the Eurodam out of Seattle, and I don't recall seeing the Westerdam as an option.

Email received this afternoon notifying of the switch over to the Eurodam.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

Well our Panama cruise this April/May on the Noordam is scheduled to stop in Victoria and end in Vancouver, BC so I don't think there is any worry at this time about Canada come summer. (yet)

• Like 1

I just booked the 5/8 Westerdam sailing on 1/29 while sailing on the Zuiderdam.  I never received any letter or other notice today. We'll cancel as we don't want to sail on the Eurodam (nothing against it; we specifically wanted to sail on the Westerdam)

Edited by Btimmer

I couldn't find itinerary for 28 May but check your new one carefully. Some earlier and later in month have G/B and ISP same day and ISP from 6 pm to 10 pm (sunset at 945 pm). Also, a tender in Sitika. Because of health issues I am not going on either. sightcrr. 

Good morning, 

The HAL ships are not tendering in Sitka. I checked the cruise ship schedule just to confirm and all the Eurodam and WEsterdam cruises are at the Sitka Cruise Terminal which is 6 miles outside of town. There are shuttles to take you in to the convention center. The Sitka people have this down and it's a very easy experience. 

Icy Strait Point has a new gondola system which is handicapped accessible (DH's scooter drives right on). The dock is long but they have complimentary carts to take you to the excursion center. From there it's not a long walk to the Cannery Building and the spot for fresh doughnuts.

Karen

• Thanks 2

According to the email we received our May 15-22 Westerdam cruise is now being moved to the Eurodam for May 14-21. Based solely on that email we spent two hours online and on the phone rebooking our independent Seattle flights.  We hesitated waiting up to two weeks until an official revised booking arrived for fear compatible flights might no longer be available.  Hopefully Holland is true to their word. This cruise was already a cancellation of 2020 moved to 2021 moved to 2022 so getting FCC again didn't appeal to us.

• Like 3

Double check the itinerary for the May 28 sailing.   It does not call at ISP or Glacier Bay.    It's doing Hubbard Glacier.  There are alternating itineraries on the Eurodam.   I'm booked on the May 28 sailing, which is why I noticed it.   Unless they are planning to change the itinerary and haven't updated their website.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisewiththekids said:

Double check the itinerary for the May 28 sailing.   It does not call at ISP or Glacier Bay.    It's doing Hubbard Glacier.  There are alternating itineraries on the Eurodam.   I'm booked on the May 28 sailing, which is why I noticed it.   Unless they are planning to change the itinerary and haven't updated their website.

The letter sent out by Gus via email said Glacier Bay and Icy Straight.  My PCC confirmed it.  We were moved from Westerdam, 29th to the Eurodam, May 28th.   They haven’t updated Website yet! 

• Like 1

Just to further complicate things, my PCC just today confirmed the opposite, that the itinerary for the May 28 Eurodam sailing remains unchanged with Hubbard Glacier and no Icy Straight.     I guess time will tell, but it's frustrating not to be sure.     Looking at the website, the itineraries change every other week.   One week Icy Straight and Glacier Bay and the next week Hubbard Glacier without Icy Straight.

5 hours ago, cruisewiththekids said:

Just to further complicate things, my PCC just today confirmed the opposite, that the itinerary for the May 28 Eurodam sailing remains unchanged with Hubbard Glacier and no Icy Straight.     I guess time will tell, but it's frustrating not to be sure.     Looking at the website, the itineraries change every other week.   One week Icy Straight and Glacier Bay and the next week Hubbard Glacier without Icy Straight.

Yes, still showing Hubbard but the Boat Tour not showing under Ship Excursions.  Maybe a sign?  Right now they are in the Process of moving Westie Passengers over.  We’re now all set with Room Assignments and Air has been changed by PCC, too.    YAY

We’re fine with either Itinerary since it’s  Daughter and Family’s first time to AK and  either one will be new for them.  The rest of us have been on both Itineraries and don’t really care where we go.  

On 2/1/2022 at 2:01 AM, Chinook Wind said:

I believe that Canadian ports were re-opened way back in November.  Remember the clever jokes about ice breakers? 😉

I’m of the understanding that Canadian ports are closed till Feb 28 2022 and am awaiting hearing decision on if they will extend closer or open up again ? Anyone know more I’d love to hear . My final payment for Alaska cruise is due Feb 27th the day before.