Rumor--some Alaska cruises cancelled? If so, which ones has anyone heard?

12cruise2

46 minutes ago, shirley valentine said:

I’m of the understanding that Canadian ports are closed till Feb 28 2022 and am awaiting hearing decision on if they will extend closer or open up again ? Anyone know more I’d love to hear . My final payment for Alaska cruise is due Feb 27th the day before. 

depending on your sail date, HAL might have moved your final payment date up.  We were originally supposed to pay final 2/7 and then it was moved to 3/9 for 5/8 sail date.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, shirley valentine said:

I’m of the understanding that Canadian ports are closed till Feb 28 2022 and am awaiting hearing decision on if they will extend closer or open up again ? Anyone know more I’d love to hear . My final payment for Alaska cruise is due Feb 27th the day before. 

They are open.  This is from the Govt. of Canada's travel page:  

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

L.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shirley valentine said:

The Canadian government announced in July of last year that ports would reopen to cruise ships as of November 1, 2021, which allows for the full 2022 season.

• Like 1

I just did a little research on the May 28 itinerary.     The May 28 sailing of the Eurodam appears to currently be the only sailing not scheduled to visit Glacier Bay.     I checked the port schedule, and Eurodam is usually there on Tuesdays, and it looks like no more than two ships a day are calling there.    On the Tuesday of the May 28 sailing, the date Eurodam would normally call on Glacier Bay (Tues 5/31), there are already two ships scheduled, Seabourn Odyssey and Nieuw Amsterdam.    So we'll see what happens.    Every other Tuesday, the Eurodam is on the Glacier Bay schedule.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cruisewiththekids said:

I just did a little research on the May 28 itinerary.     The May 28 sailing of the Eurodam appears to currently be the only sailing not scheduled to visit Glacier Bay.     I checked the port schedule, and Eurodam is usually there on Tuesdays, and it looks like no more than two ships a day are calling there.    On the Tuesday of the May 28 sailing, the date Eurodam would normally call on Glacier Bay (Tues 5/31), there are already two ships scheduled, Seabourn Odyssey and Nieuw Amsterdam.    So we'll see what happens.    Every other Tuesday, the Eurodam is on the Glacier Bay schedule.

I checked with my PCC again this afternoon and she said it is  Hubbard Glacier and not changing as she was previously told.   Agree, we’ll see what happens!  🤷‍♀️

On 1/31/2022 at 1:54 PM, 12cruise2 said:

On another  thread, someone has mentioned that possibly some Alaska cruises have been cancelled.  

So at this point it turns out only one cruise was cancelled.  The someone on the other thread didn't mention his/her source. I wish people would be more careful about starting rumors.

Edited by Boatdrill
  • Like 1

On 2/4/2022 at 1:10 AM, Boatdrill said:

So at this point it turns out only one cruise was cancelled.  The someone on the other thread didn't mention his/her source. I wish people would be more careful about starting rumors.

yes I agree some of the threads are misleading.  And then the voices of knowledge try to help only to get flamed.   oh well.

My husband and I are on our 3rd booked Alaskan cruise. The 1st was in 2020. The 2nd was the Westerdam that was recently rebooked to our 3rd, the Eurodam.

My 1st question is on dining. We had confirmed dining on the Westerdam, but are now on a waitlist.  We prefer traditional dining. Has anyone had any luck getting into trading dining from the waitlist?

My 2nd question is on upgrades. I read a recent thread from someone who was upgraded from a regular veranda to a spa veranda. Is there a way to make sure that does not happen?

We are hoping the 3rd time is the charm for our Alaskan cruise!

1 hour ago, raroalmasa said:

My 1st question is on dining. We had confirmed dining on the Westerdam, but are now on a waitlist.  We prefer traditional dining. Has anyone had any luck getting into trading dining from the waitlist?

My 2nd question is on upgrades. I read a recent thread from someone who was upgraded from a regular veranda to a spa veranda. Is there a way to make sure that does not happen?

If you want 2nd (main) sitting for dinner, you should be able to get it easily. In my experience it has not been fully booked in recent years. 
I don't know about early sitting, but there should be people dropping off the list by the time final payment rolls around. There are always some who cancel out when the money is due. 

If you selected a specific cabin (didn't book a guarantee), you can have your booking marked 'do not upgrade' and you won't be moved. 

• Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 8:43 PM, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

Does this cruise stop in Victoria and does anyone know if Canada is accepting cruise ships this summer?  If not, will the Senator from Alaska introduce the bill in Congress to allow the temporary cancellation of the PSVA that was done last summer to allow cruise ships out of Seattle not to stop in Victoria?

On 1/31/2022 at 9:09 PM, Ferry_Watcher said:

I don't believe that our Canadian Friends have officially said anything about cruise ships this summer.  However, the cruise lines, the Port of Seattle, and all the Alaskan ports are all gearing up.

On 2/2/2022 at 9:21 PM, shirley valentine said:

Someone who works at the Vancouver pier for the cruise ship season says that plans are underway for the cruise season to begin on schedule and that there is a big hiring fire this week for all the companies that operate at the pier.  They posted in the Canada forum.  Great news!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Someone who works at the Vancouver pier for the cruise ship season says that plans are underway for the cruise season to begin on schedule and that there is a big hiring fire this week for all the companies that operate at the pier.  

Perhaps it's a hiring fair ?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, raroalmasa said:

My husband and I are on our 3rd booked Alaskan cruise. The 1st was in 2020. The 2nd was the Westerdam that was recently rebooked to our 3rd, the Eurodam.

We are hoping the 3rd time is the charm for our Alaskan cruise!

We just received our new cabin assignment and we are one cabin away from our original number.  Fortunately our confirmed early dining transferred also.  I suggest you either: If lunch is still being served inquire at the desk in the main dining room, call dining reservations as soon as you get in your cabin or visit the reservations desk (on the Koningsdam it was on deck 2 Atruim) The sooner you do the better chance you have of getting what you want.

Your experience sounds just like ours.  We were supposed to be on the Oosterdam in 2020, the Westerdam in 2021 and now the Eurodam in 2022.  I'm just thrilled to finally actually be going.