P&O flights

Hightackle84

On 3/2/2022 at 11:15 PM, tring said:

Can I ask what time your Manchester flight leaves from Manchester? 

I realise there may be more than one flight from there, but we will be flying Manchester to Malta later in the summer and we are getting a bit worried about how early we will need to be at the airport considering I have seen mention of people having to be there way ahead of Caribbean cruises for testing etc.  We will be staying overnight in an airport hotel, but had not anticipated leaving the hotel earlier than about 4.00am. 

Hi our flight time with Tui is s 06:00hr

5 hours ago, purplesea said:

I too have been looking for the information required before a flight to Malta but can't find it. The link above only refers to flights to the Caribbean. 

I am just assuming that P&O will issue the necessary information nearer the time.

5 hours ago, MX-Drew said:

That link is for Caribbean fly cruises, I don't think (but I may be wrong) a PCR test is required for Malta. 

Yes, sorry you're both correct. I assumed I was since I followed a link from my cruise planner.

No wiser then.

17 minutes ago, latin princess said:

Hi our flight time with Tui is s 06:00hr

Thanks a lot, that is what we feared.  If we are expected to be at the airport four or five hours earlier, we may be changing the holiday.

53 minutes ago, latin princess said:

Scroll to the tip of the linked page and then find section 1 before you cruise click on med fly cruises

I've read that but it makes no mention of any lateral flow/pcr test required at the Airport or Port before embarkation which i'm quite surprised about, not sure if it's an omission or they've scrapped testing prior to boarding.

11 hours ago, Francisdrake said:

I've read that but it makes no mention of any lateral flow/pcr test required at the Airport or Port before embarkation which i'm quite surprised about, not sure if it's an omission or they've scrapped testing prior to boarding.

Yes I am surprised too

I have just had an e-mail from P&O saying that we require a PLF before our flight to Malta.

Antigen test requirement:
To board Azura in Malta, all guests aged five years and above will need to organise and pay for a private antigen (lateral flow) test within 72 hours (24 hours for unvaccinated guests) prior to embarkation (NHS tests will not be accepted). Guests will need to present their negative antigen test certificate at the ship's terminal in Malta and, for those flying into Malta on a TUI charter flight, at the UK airport check-in desk.

I have also noted that they have updated their website with regards to flights too.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, purplesea said:

I have just had an e-mail from P&O saying that we require a PLF before our flight to Malta.

Antigen test requirement:
To board Azura in Malta, all guests aged five years and above will need to organise and pay for a private antigen (lateral flow) test within 72 hours (24 hours for unvaccinated guests) prior to embarkation (NHS tests will not be accepted). Guests will need to present their negative antigen test certificate at the ship's terminal in Malta and, for those flying into Malta on a TUI charter flight, at the UK airport check-in desk.

I have also noted that they have updated their website with regards to flights too.

I find it interesting that if you board in Southampton, P&O pay for the test but fly to Malta (or elsewhere) and we have to pay. As far as I know it is not an entry requirement for Malta so if purely a P&O requirement. I'm not convinced they do much good anyway to be honest.

As an afterthought, why the NHS one not acceptable? It is no different to the ones you pay for, both are done at home and although you send a picture off of the paid test, there is no check you did the test.

2 minutes ago, purplesea said:

The e-mail does go on to say that they are giving everyone over 5 years old  £15 on board spend as compensation.

So in theory they are also paying, but you've got the hassle of organising it!!

That does make a difference. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

As an afterthought, why the NHS one not acceptable? It is no different to the ones you pay for, both are done at home and although you send a picture off of the paid test, there is no check you did the test.

Good point. You can get a 'Fit To Fly' antigen test to do at home from Lloyds Pharmacy for £12.99. Website says "Upload your results to have them verified by a trained professional"

These look to be the same (FlowFlex) as the NHS ones I've used.

Will P&O accept these? They aren't being very specific.

I think the problem with testing is because a large number of the sites are now closing down and also no collection sites.  I understand for instance the one recommended by P&O in Southampton for private tests has gone.

8 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Personally I do not think the NHS test should be used for holiday purposes on a point of principle.

What principle is that? I have had to pay my taxes just like those not going on holiday (in general).

To be honest though, the question has to asked “what is the point of these tests?” By that I mean, the health questionnaire asks it you have had this or that symptoms but they don’t ask for negative tests you don’t have norovirus for example.

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Personally I do not think the NHS test should be used for holiday purposes on a point of principle.

Also the NHS tests can be used for entry to football grounds, night clubs etc. I don't go to any of those so why can't I use it to go on a cruise?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

Also the NHS tests can be used for entry to football grounds, night clubs etc. I don't go to any of those so why can't I use it to go on a cruise?

That was a specific government ruling, and is no longer in force. 

Using a NHS test when not required to do so by the government is different.

4 minutes ago, wowzz said:

That was a specific government ruling, and is no longer in force. 

Using a NHS test when not required to do so by the government is different.

I get your 2nd half but then again does it not still save the NHS? Oh no that's no longer required so why on a cruises ship?

Also just because it is no longer in force does not mean it didn't happen.

What about no negative test required for norovirus?

Edited by MX-Drew

28 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Using NHS resources for personal reasons.

6 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

From next month most people will have to pay for NHS covid tests.  It will be interesting to see whether NHS tests can used for travel from April onwards.

I think with the arrival of deltacron, and the very great concern that we need to continue high levels of testing to ensure we continue to check for any new variant, this decision may well be reversed.

Edited by terrierjohn

5 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

From next month most people will have to pay for NHS covid tests.  It will be interesting to see whether NHS tests can used for travel from April onwards.

That thought had crossed my mind too.

2 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I think with the arrival of deltacron, and the very great concern that we need to continue high levels of testing to ensure we continue to check for any new variant, this decision may well be reversed.

But LFT tests do not identify new variants.  You need PCR tests for that.