Determination of “formal optional” nights

Pudgesmom

Pudgesmom: 

Unless Regent has made a recent change--a single segment of 14 nights' or less duration does not involve any Formal Night(s).  It makes NO difference if one booked that segment as part of a follow-on (B/t/B) cruise which might be 16 days, or more. Or, the reverse--as the initial segment.  

Bottom Line:  Each segment is considered as separate from what may have been booked prior or post.  There is no carry-through.  We have done this Math on several (pre-Covid) Regent B/t/Bs when planning what to pack--like my Tux--prior to heading to the airport.  

Please clarify that part of your entry as to a 14 nights' segment which "can be booked as a longer, 21 day" situation.  Are you referencing either a pre-stay at the embarkation Port; and/or a post cruise stay at the debarkation Port which was booked as part of the total Regent cruise package?  Or--an extended Land Excursion?  Like, a Safari?  Again, as part of a Regent "package".   

Based on our experience:  this has not been a factor.  Just consider days on the ship for each segment.  

GOARMY!

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, GOARMY said:

Please clarify that part of your entry as to a 14 nights' segment which "can be booked as a longer, 21 day" situation.  Are you referencing either a pre-stay at the embarkation Port; and/or a post cruise stay at the debarkation Port which was booked as part of the total Regent cruise package?  Or--an extended Land Excursion?  Like, a Safari?  Again, as part of a Regent "package".   

For example, we have a back to back cruise from London to London (Southampton really), followed by a London to Barcelona. These cruises can also be booked as part of longer cruise, as 65 night Stockholm to Rome. Since each of our cruises are 12 nights, we do not expect to have a formal night on either of our cruises, despite the option for a long cruise that would include these 2 shorter cruises. The pre and posts are not included when determining if the cruise is long enough to include a formal night.

Just to add one more thing, if you're onboard for Christmas or New Year's, there will be passengers who dress in formal wear for the holiday meals.

1 hour ago, 1982CruzStart said:

No matter how long your cruise is there are no "formal" nights, there are only "formal optional" nights and therefore you don't have to worry about any formal nights at any time if you aren't into dressing up. You never have to feel like you need to dress formal. 

I think the issue with some people is that even if it's 'Formal Optional' there are still enough people in formal wear that they may feel 'out-of-place' if they're just in country club casual.

Fortunately that hasn't bothered me since I was about nineteen years old, so it sure makes my packing easier.  🙂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Come to think of it, all of our cruises so far have been under the 16-night cutoff for FO nights...but our next two booked are longer than that so we'll see how it goes on those sailings.

(I'm still not planning on bringing my tux...or even a suit, for that matter.  But who knows, I might...)

• Like 3

19 hours ago, 1982CruzStart said:

No matter how long your cruise is there are no "formal" nights, there are only "formal optional" nights and therefore you don't have to worry about any formal nights at any time if you aren't into dressing up. You never have to feel like you need to dress formal. 

Thank you; I noted the ”formal optional” in the title of my post. I was aware of that. I wanted to know so we could decide whether we even needed to consider packing those type of clothes. We personally are very unlikely to want to dress up anyway, just wanted to know.

There will be no formal optional night on your 14 night cruise.  We booked 44 nights in 2018.  It was part of a 59 night Grand Cruise, but could also be broken into segments. We did 3 segments all booked as a single cruise.  None were 16 nights so there was no formal nights during the cruise.  However people did dress up on the nights of the Captain's Reception.  But it was clearly optional.  I brought a sport coat and tie and felt plenty dressed enough. Would have felt fine without either the tie or the sport coat. 

2 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

I brought a sport coat and tie and felt plenty dressed enough. Would have felt fine without either the tie or the sport coat. 

I brought a few ties on my first Regent cruise.  Didn't wear any of them.  Haven't brought one since.

I do travel with a sport coat, and to be honest the only time I wear it is if the restaurant is on the chilly side...it's more for comfort than fashion.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2022 at 9:52 AM, UUNetBill said:

I brought a few ties on my first Regent cruise.  Didn't wear any of them.  Haven't brought one since.

I do travel with a sport coat, and to be honest the only time I wear it is if the restaurant is on the chilly side...it's more for comfort than fashion.

I hate wearing ties and sport coats.  But my wife disagrees with me, so I wear ties and sport coats.. 😜

• Haha 1