Central Park/Boardwalk balcony music levels on Oasis-class ships

Hi all

I'm new to Oasis class ships with cabins that look over the interior areas so please bear with me 🐻 I have watched some YouTube videos that have me concerned.

If I book a cabin on a ship like Oasis or Allure  with a balcony that overlooks Central Park or Boardwalk  will I be subjected to loud ship elevator-type music that I don’t necessarily like?  I would hope that they at least adjust the volume at different times of the day and have no music when people are trying to sleep. Since there are 5 decks that overlook these areas, I also suspect there is a lot of variation in loudness, which is highly dependent on both cabin and speaker location. So, any guidance on where this is a problem and where this is no problem at all would be useful.

Thanks 

Krusty

Having stayed in a CP balcony in allure (an accessible one, so in the 14th floor), my issue was not from CP at any time, but from the pool deck above, which during the afternoon, was too loud (yes, with the bathroom door closed) to take a nap. I heard that in 13 and below, it is better.

Our Boardwalk last 5 aft cabins deck #9 was the loud noise coming from the late night movies that were played on certain nights. We wouldn't book this type of cabins again...JMHO.

23 minutes ago, KrustyCruiser said:

So, any guidance on where this is a problem and where this is no problem at all would be useful.

This depends on how sounds affect you - for some, there's no problem anywhere, because they can tune out everything, including the noises from above (pool deck). For others, who would wake with the softest sounds (even with the balcony door closed), the problem could be everywhere. If you are the latter type, don't book a neighborhood cabin.

We have always booked an ocean balcony on the hump, this past December we booked a CP balcony on the Allure. We weren't sure how we would like it, but it was great! We just booked a b2b on the Harmony and reserved the same cabin we had last year 🙂

28 minutes ago, KrustyCruiser said:

Hi all

I'm new to Oasis class ships with cabins that look over the interior areas so please bear with me 🐻 I have watched some YouTube videos that have me concerned.

If I book a cabin on a ship like Oasis or Allure  with a balcony that overlooks Central Park or Boardwalk  will I be subjected to loud ship elevator-type music that I don’t necessarily like?  I would hope that they at least adjust the volume at different times of the day and have no music when people are trying to sleep. Since there are 5 decks that overlook these areas, I also suspect there is a lot of variation in loudness, which is highly dependent on both cabin and speaker location. So, any guidance on where this is a problem and where this is no problem at all would be useful.

Thanks 

Krusty

Basically, there's soft piano music on some evenings, otherwise it's pretty quiet unless the make believe cricket sounds will bother you.😀  In the afternoon, there's live music emanating from the pool deck and I enjoy by sitting in the balcony prior to getting ready for dinner.  I usually select deck 12 facing the CP cafe. 

Never had a problem falling asleep in the evenings.

• Like 1

When the balcony door is shut you hear very little on the BW.  If you go to bed late (midnight or later) you won’t hear anything in my experience.  The CP is definitely less than the BW.  If you stay on deck 10 or 11 in CP, I can’t imagine you would hear any noise with the balcony door shut at any time.  

During the day there can be some noise on the BW.  So if you sleep during the day this could bother you if you are sensitive to noise.  

I’ve stayed in both types of cabins and many times on the BW.  Never had an issue sleeping or napping.  Definitely avoid deck 14, but that goes for any cabin.  

On your CP balcony during the day, you may hear music carrying down from the pool deck (typically Caribbean style and louder on higher decker than lower ones).  Except on deck 14, the pool deck noise should not be much of an issue with balcony door closed.  On deck 14, OV balconies are also impacted.

Some evenings they have live musicians performing in Central Park (for example a guitar or violin or such).  You might be able to hear this sitting on your balcony, depending on your position. You should not hear it with your door closed.

BW can have more activity and noise…movies, shows, kids parties, but closing your balcony door should blunt ghat noise a lot.  And that show noise tends to by 11 or 12 at night.  Still, the noise sensitive sorts. Might not like BW.

The only time I have experienced unreasonable "noise" in Central Park was on Oasis, right after the amp.  They installed some ungodly loud speaker system on the pool deck and the sound levels were truly unbearable.  I think they finally did something to reduce the noise levels but it was a couple of days into the cruise.  Hopefully they fixed it permanently.  

We stayed in a Boardwalk Balcony one time and will never do it again. It was fine most of the time with the door closed, but one night they had some party for the crew on the BW with a band that went on until 1am, and it was LOUD. I was glad to see the crew being appreciated and able to enjoy the ship, but we were given no notice and had an early excursion the next morning and were not happy campers to be kept up that late. 

16 hours ago, KrustyCruiser said:

Hi all

Thanks 

Krusty

Boardwalk is LOUD. We had the last normal size cabin overlooking the water show. Did not anticipate the late showings. Tried to get an early rest a couple of nights. Wasn’t happening. We would book  Central Park next time 

I would be thrilled if it were elevator type music. We have enjoyed Central Park balconies in the past, but it seems since the return there has been either loud music from the pool in the  late afternoon (after 4 o’clock) or even worse, some kind of pool game with a screaming /Screeching  staff.

Closing  the balcony door does seem to help muffle the sound, but we generally enjoyed sitting on the balcony  around 5pm.  That has been a no-go  on several cruises since the return.

perhaps I will try a different room located on the other end of Central Park. 

Edited by cruisegirl1

I have complained for years to RCI on every survey that the music level on all venues is too loud.  But that is one area that RCI does not listen to cruisers as witnessed by many other cruisers who tell me they write it up also.  We were on the Oasis for two cruises in December and although we would have liked to listen to the musicians in Central Park, they were so loud that we left.  It was uncomfortable. 

Thanks everyone for your responses. Probably the one thing we like least about cruising is being subjected to overly loud live or recorded music that seems to be present in too many locations even if we basically like the music genre.  -Oh, the stories we could tell!  And, like DeputyDawg46 pointed out, most cruise ships do not feel this is even an issue they need to address.  As a result, we have become a bit wary of any shipboard entertainment that is hard to avoid.  As a result of your posts, I think on Oasis class ships we will just stick with exterior facing cabins and enjoy the sound of the waves. 

On 3/2/2022 at 11:24 AM, KrustyCruiser said:

Music is not much of a thing for Central Park.  There is some live music in the evenings, but it's more of the classical music variety.  Boardwalk is more problematic, with the events at the aqua theater and just generally more kids and more of a "party" atmosphere.

• Like 1