Testing question (please don't hang me out to dry)!

gigem_aggies

34 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Walgreen's ID-NOW is done at the store under the supervision of someone from the pharmacy, typically at the drive thru window. It's not a take home test. So the proctored part isn't a problem.

True.   My eyes skipped passed the Walgreen's part.... 🙂

Edited by davencl

Hi, fellow cruisers -

My Mar 26 cruise is on the Joy. My problem is that I am going to be traveling for 3 days before the cruise. Therefore,  I am beyond the 48-hour limit.

Soooo...I'll keep testing at home and then I am  going to get tested at the port (my PCC says it's about $125). 

See you on board 🥰

I still haven't heard back from Guest Relations, however several folks on the Breakaway FB group that boarded yesterday used the Walgreens Rapid ID Now Diagnostic test and had zero issues.  I think we are going to go ahead and use it (unless I hear something from NCL this week) and if worse comes to worse, will just pay at the port to be tested there.  🙂

• Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, gigem_aggies said:

I still haven't heard back from Guest Relations, however several folks on the Breakaway FB group that boarded yesterday used the Walgreens Rapid ID Now Diagnostic test and had zero issues.  I think we are going to go ahead and use it (unless I hear something from NCL this week) and if worse comes to worse, will just pay at the port to be tested there.  🙂

Thank you! That helps a lot.  I also sent an Email to the Haven concierge, but haven't gotten a response yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gigem_aggies said:

Thanks for posting this!   This is the test that is much more readily available in our area.   

I will sleep easier now😊

• Like 2

4 hours ago, gigem_aggies said:

Yes - reports from folks on the March 5th Escape state that the Walgreen's Rapid ID Now Diagnostic test was acceptable for boarding - no problem...  YAY!!

• Like 3

Roughly how long does it take to get the results back from Walgreens for the Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID Now)? I see the website says up to 24 hours, just curious what others experience has been.

18 minutes ago, ahaught said:

Roughly how long does it take to get the results back from Walgreens for the Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID Now)? I see the website says up to 24 hours, just curious what others experience has been.

I have taken this test four times since August 2021 - no more than an hour or so for the results (better than advertised).  One time we did a few errands after the test and got the results on our phones before we even got home!!!  Print out the report (two pages) and bring with your other documents to check in at the pier.  Note:  I have not yet personally used this test result on NCL - but understand from the Breakaway Roll Call and the 3/5 Escape Roll Call that it was accepted without being challenged.  My direct experience for acceptance was on Celebrity and Carnival...

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, margie1221 said:

I have taken this test four times since August 2021 - no more than an hour or so for the results (better than advertised).  One time we did a few errands after the test and got the results on our phones before we even got home!!!  Print out the report (two pages) and bring with your other documents to check in at the pier.  Note:  I have not yet personally used this test result on NCL - but understand from the Breakaway Roll Call and the 3/5 Escape Roll Call that it was accepted without being challenged.  My direct experience for acceptance was on Celebrity and Carnival...

Same here.  4 different times and each time had the results within an hour or so.  I took one this past Friday to make sure it would be negative (see my post on the reasoning behind that in this thread) and had the results back before I even got back to my office.

• Like 4

I’m definitely stressing out about the testing, has anyone had testing through Kaiser? It’s a covered benefit but they can’t guarantee I will have the results in 48 hours. Spouse is worried they will be slow due to weekend hours. So I’m planning on going Friday morning to get the tests and cross my fingers all will be fine. My back up plan is to get tested at the port and pay $125 each for the test! Ugh! It almost makes not to cruise except I’ve missed it so! 

On 3/5/2022 at 1:25 PM, mking8288 said:

#cough #cough, hmmm - are you sure ??  Best to look closely at the production date(s) and expiration/valid dates to use ... It might be ineffective much sooner than a year. 

We have self-test home kits from iHealth, Roche and BinaxNow with EUA & latest expiration date is August 2022, or about 6 months ... one box is good until this April, being the earliest batch via employer HR.   

Yes I am sure. Was ordered in Feb, 

20220312_061247 (1).jpg

On 3/5/2022 at 2:18 PM, raschueller said:

The home test is pretty easy and you get six of them so it takes care of the whole issue for about a year.

Actually, I just found out this week that you don't have to get six of them!  I contacted emed as I don't need six tests since I'm only one person and don't expect to need even one more in the next year.  They sent me to https://store.optum.com where I could buy TWO.  3-packs are also available there.

• Like 1

Does anyone know if the CVS partnership with NCL is still a thing? That allegedly offered free testing at the pier on the day we disembark? I googled it (https://www.cvs.com/minuteclinic/covid-19-testing/cruise-line-voluntary-testing) but don’t see anything recent to see if this is still an option. I hope so, because it’s free and guaranteed.

We’ve sailed 3 times since October but we were tested at the pier each time for free thru NCL/Eurofins. 

1 hour ago, Mlake09 said:

Does anyone know if the CVS partnership with NCL is still a thing? That allegedly offered free testing at the pier on the day we disembark? I googled it (https://www.cvs.com/minuteclinic/covid-19-testing/cruise-line-voluntary-testing) but don’t see anything recent to see if this is still an option. I hope so, because it’s free and guaranteed.

We’ve sailed 3 times since October but we were tested at the pier each time for free thru NCL/Eurofins. 

There's no longer free testing at the pier. If for some reason you can't complete the required testing prior to your arrival at the pier testing is available at the cruise terminal at your expense, with the price being determined by the vendor doing the testing.

For your future reference and for the benefit of anyone else reading this I strongly recommend that everyone monitor NCL's website for the latest version of their COVID protocols at https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe?intcmp=pdt_sl_SAILSAFEVAC . In addition to reading the main body of the web page you should also read the FAQs at the bottom of the page, which contain important details.

So boarded the Breakaway n March 6th with absolutely o problem with the Walgreens drive through proctored test. Before you show your cruise documents security checks your negative test paperwork mainly looking for negative results and the date it was taken. They do take the 48 hour prior very serious. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, wolft927 said:

So boarded the Breakaway n March 6th with absolutely o problem with the Walgreens drive through proctored test. Before you show your cruise documents security checks your negative test paperwork mainly looking for negative results and the date it was taken. They do take the 48 hour prior very serious. 

Thanks for posting. We took the Walgreens test (says "rapid NAAT test" on the results page). and will be boarding the Breakaway this morning. 

Has anyone used the digital version of the results successfully at the port?  We are planning on driving to the port (we booked a last minute cruise and flights were just too expensive, so we are driving to FL from IN).  We are planning to get our Walgreens Rapid ID Now tests as we are leaving the state and then using the digital results to show at the terminal instead of a print out.  Just wanting to make sure they will actually accept the digital version. 

TIA!

1 hour ago, gamergirl said:

Has anyone used the digital version of the results successfully at the port?  We are planning on driving to the port (we booked a last minute cruise and flights were just too expensive, so we are driving to FL from IN).  We are planning to get our Walgreens Rapid ID Now tests as we are leaving the state and then using the digital results to show at the terminal instead of a print out.  Just wanting to make sure they will actually accept the digital version. 

TIA!

The digital version is certainly acceptable under NCL's protocols. Look at the first FAQ on NCL's Sail Safe web page:

https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe?intcmp=pdt_sl_SAILSAFEVAC

At the time of check-in, all guests will be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 antigen or PCR test result administered by a verified third party, via medically supervised home test (i.e. https://www.emed.com/) or BioReference-Scarlett Concierge testing service (BioReference sends a qualified medical professional to you to conduct your test), within two days prior to boarding for cruises originating in a U.S. port and three days prior for voyages departing from a non-U.S. port. Guests must bring digital or printed proof of negative test results. Test results need to be in English and include the following information:

• Your name, which should match the name on your travel documents
  • Your date of birth
  • The result of the test
  • The date the test sample was collected
  • The name of the test provider

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

The digital version is certainly acceptable under NCL's protocols. Look at the first FAQ on NCL's Sail Safe web page:

https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe?intcmp=pdt_sl_SAILSAFEVAC

At the time of check-in, all guests will be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 antigen or PCR test result administered by a verified third party, via medically supervised home test (i.e. https://www.emed.com/) or BioReference-Scarlett Concierge testing service (BioReference sends a qualified medical professional to you to conduct your test), within two days prior to boarding for cruises originating in a U.S. port and three days prior for voyages departing from a non-U.S. port. Guests must bring digital or printed proof of negative test results. Test results need to be in English and include the following information:

• Your name, which should match the name on your travel documents
  • Your date of birth
  • The result of the test
  • The date the test sample was collected
  • The name of the test provider

I understand that the digital copy is accepted, just wanting to see if anyone has actually USED a digital copy.  Sometimes the knowledge that someone else has successfully done it versus it just saying it can be done, will give me a peace of mind as I am mentally preparing for our trip. 🙂

1 hour ago, gamergirl said:

I understand that the digital copy is accepted, just wanting to see if anyone has actually USED a digital copy.  Sometimes the knowledge that someone else has successfully done it versus it just saying it can be done, will give me a peace of mind as I am mentally preparing for our trip. 🙂

I understand, but this isn't one those instances where a topic isn't addressed or where the wording on the website is ambiguous. This is about as clear-cut as something can be. 

To further boost your confidence, NCL's Guest Ticket Contract clearly states that the Sail Safe web page I've quoted takes precedence over the Guest Ticket Contract in the event of a conflict between the two. This provision is very unusual as normally it's the other way around...the contract takes precedence over anything stated on the website. There's good reason for that reversal of normal practice. With COVID protocols changing frequently it's easier and more sensible to immediately amend the website rather continually changing the Guest Ticket Contract.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

48 hours? The NCL guidance says two days, which has always meant anytime of day two days before embarkation as far as I am aware.

Sorry I yes 48 hours meaning 2 days, so boating on Sunday means your test must be dated Friday   At the earliest

• Like 1

We are flying into Miami on a 6am flight on Friday ,and cruising on Sunday. Too early  to test before departing. Has anyone just got the test at Miami airport? We dont want to spend our vacation looking for testing centers while in Miami and are thinking this might be the simplest way.