Scared of Being a Pier Runner, Booked Occidental Day pass

Irdygirdy

Hi all, 1st time cruiser will be going on Mardi Gras with my 13 yo son. Found a Reddit on Pier Runners which led to many YouTube videos and I am now paranoid that booking through an outside excursion “Shore Excursioneer” will result in is becoming a pier runner or worse. 

We would have to take a taxi to Occidental All Inclusive which we can leave at our leisure, but I have no idea how taxis and getting taxis works there. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can still get a refund if necessary and book through Carnival.

49 minutes ago, Irdygirdy said:

Hi all, 1st time cruiser will be going on Mardi Gras with my 13 yo son. Found a Reddit on Pier Runners which led to many YouTube videos and I am now paranoid that booking through an outside excursion “Shore Excursioneer” will result in is becoming a pier runner or worse. 

We would have to take a taxi to Occidental All Inclusive which we can leave at our leisure, but I have no idea how taxis and getting taxis works there. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can still get a refund if necessary and book through Carnival.

Let me add to your angst:

While it would be a rare occurrence, there are “time and tide wait for no man” conditions that would require a ship to leave certain ports within a specific time window even if their own tours return too late (accident, road conditions, etc) regardless of what they say about “waiting.” What is guaranteed is that the ship (via its port agent) will arrange (and pay for) accommodations, transportation and per diem allowances necessary to get you to the ship at its next port. (Better independent tour companies will provide the same guarantee.)

This can be a somewhat minor inconvenience of a one day adventure OR the next port could be four +\- sea days away.

BTW: similarly, if you get your air tix via a cruiseline, note that it is not responsible for air delays/cancellations etc. The cruise line will assist with rebookings, etc. But, it will not cover costs associated with having to catch up to the ship. For that, you’d need to refer to your “trip interruption” coverage in your travel insurance coverage.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

I have been on 30+ cruises and experienced very few pier runners.  Excursions can be delayed and in areas of the world where there is not ‘the same sense of time’ as us, I am wary of taking on my own excursions - for example, we arrived 1.5 hours late of departure on an excursion in Bali.
In the Caribbean, USA, Canada and Europe, I have often arranged excursions myself, but always put a reasonable time margin into my planning.  Return to the ship well in advance of departure and if tender ports in good time before last tender.

• Like 2

I wouldn’t think twice about booking a resort pass with a taxi ride. All aboard is usually 30 minutes prior to departure. Plan to be back onboard an hour before all aboard. Pier runners are due to people setting their watches incorrectly or getting drunk and forgetting the time. Even w a carnival excursion you will have to make it back to the meeting point by a certain time. The setting watch incorrectly or getting drunk issue wouldn’t stop you from missing the carnival transport back.

i almost exclusively self book excursions and have never come even a little close to being a pier runner. It’s not a big issue. 

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 5

I've no idea where this resort is located, since there are Occidental Hotels all over the world. But assuming it is one of the Caribbean resorts. I've yet to see a Caribbean port that didn't have taxis awaiting ships passengers as they disembarked.  Check the Ports of Call forums for the port in question. There should be info there. As for the return to the ship - leave with ample time to spare. There should either be a taxi waiting for pick ups at the resort, or the front desk can call for one.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Let me add to your angst:

While it would be a rare occurrence, there are “time and tide wait for no man” conditions that would require a ship to leave certain ports within a specific time window even if their own tours return too late (accident, road conditions, etc) regardless of what they say about “waiting.” What is guaranteed is that the ship (via its port agent) will arrange (and pay for) accommodations, transportation and per diem allowances necessary to get you to the ship at its next port. (Better independent tour companies will provide the same guarantee.)

This can be a somewhat minor inconvenience of a one day adventure OR the next port could be four +\- sea days away.

BTW: similarly, if you get your air tix via a cruiseline, note that it is not responsible for air delays/cancellations etc. The cruise line will assist with rebookings, etc. But, it will not cover costs associated with having to catch up to the ship. For that, you’d need to refer to your “trip interruption” coverage in your travel insurance coverage.

I have enough of my own angst, thank you, lol.  I think I’m good. Boat leaving early is not something I could ever control, and I checked out more YouTube’s and I see the taxi area is nice with a lot of options, and as another poster said, the resort can help me with taxi back. I’ll definitely make sure to be back on board 2 hours early though!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Irdygirdy said:

Use common sense.  That is all.

• Like 3

Hi Irdygirdy

The concerns that you express in your post are exactly why many people who have never cruised before will gravitate to the cruise line tours. It is your choice to determine how comfortable, but for most islands you are never far from the port. There are usually many taxis, or shared vans available. For your beach breaks you will likely see many people that you recognize from your ship, just leave before them. 😀 If you choose private excursions, look at their reviews. This is their livelihood and know that they need to get you back to the ship on time or they won't have a business.  

• Like 2

On 3/8/2022 at 6:49 AM, Irdygirdy said:

Let me set your mind at ease, not add more angst.  Private tours/excursions are almost all I do.  I very rarely book a ships excursion.  In almost 60 cruises, I have never been a pier runner and never even came close to it.  Just be sure to keep your watch set to ships time and don't wait until the last minute to return.  It's that easy.  

Book that private pass and go enjoy yourself.  🙂

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

A few years ago we met a couple, early in a long cruise, who recognized my name from CC posts.  They complained about the cost of the ship excursions (this was a Med cruise) and asked if I would help them play DIY days in various ports.  DW and I sat with this couple for hours and gave them all kinds of details of how to DIY.  Later in the cruise we sat down with these folks for a drink and they told us they finally decided to only take the cruise line excursions (the total cost of their excursions cost as much as the cruise) because they had a fear of missing the ship.  From that experience I learned that when folks talk about their "concern" of missing the ship the best advice is just book the cruise line excursions.  Some folks just do not have the risk tolerance to do much on their own.   Just last year we were docked in Rhodes and met a couple (very experienced cruisers) who told us they were afraid to go ashore on their own and had arranged for a private tour.  Their fear was missing the ship.  What was amusing is that they were staying in Rhodes Town and never would have been more than a few minutes walking distance from the ship.  Go figure.

I will say that having cruised for over 45 years to hundreds of ports we seldom to ever take any tour.  In fact our basic rule is we only consider a tour (cruise line or private) if it does something we want to do and cannot possibly do on our own.  But our kind of independent travel (whether on a cruise or just on a land driving trip) is not for everyone and folks need to stay in touch with their own feelings (and fears).

Hank

• Like 1

I think you are correct, Hank. I've been in some interesting places- even a "no-go" zone and survived. I think some of us enjoy research and have a good idea of the safety, ease of independent travel, etc. and much prefer to do our own thing.  I feel quite accomplished when I can figure things out by myself like a local!

On 6/15/2022 at 5:55 AM, Irdygirdy said:

Kept my private excursion but switched to a manatee swim! It’s a stop in Cozumel. Thanks everyone for your input!!😃

I'm sure your son will love to swim with manatees! Have a great cruise!

Don't worry about being a Pier Runner.  You Tube videos can give a first-timer the impression that a dozen or so people do this on every island stop -- it just isn't true.  Oh, sure, it happens occasionally, but most people have better sense.  

The ship will never leave early.  

Private excursions are absolutely the way to go: 

- You'll be part of a smaller group, and you'll have more choices /more control over your day.  That they're also cheaper is the cherry on top.

- Most people who are late to the ship aren't on excursions -- they get back to the pier area and spend "just a few more minutes" shopping or drinking, and then suddenly it's too late.  This isn't the fault of any shore excursion.  

- Know what time your ship will leave (and understand ship time vs. island time), and be back 2 hours early; don't push it too close.  Most people seem to leave the ship early and return early afternoon anyway.  

- Don't allow your family to break up, and have a back-up plan (such as money for a taxi) in case something goes wrong.

3 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Don't worry about being a Pier Runner.  You Tube videos can give a first-timer the impression that a dozen or so people do this on every island stop -- it just isn't true.  Oh, sure, it happens occasionally, but most people have better sense.  

The ship will never leave early.  

Private excursions are absolutely the way to go: 

- You'll be part of a smaller group, and you'll have more choices /more control over your day.  That they're also cheaper is the cherry on top.

- Most people who are late to the ship aren't on excursions -- they get back to the pier area and spend "just a few more minutes" shopping or drinking, and then suddenly it's too late.  This isn't the fault of any shore excursion.  

- Know what time your ship will leave (and understand ship time vs. island time), and be back 2 hours early; don't push it too close.  Most people seem to leave the ship early and return early afternoon anyway.  

- Don't allow your family to break up, and have a back-up plan (such as money for a taxi) in case something goes wrong.

This is mostly but not always true.  There are times when the ship has to leave early due to weather and sea conditions.  That occurred to us on a stop at the Falklands where the weather was marginal getting in and got worse over the course of our ship tour.  All the ship tour guides had radios and got us back in time.  We asked the guide what would happen if the ship had to leave before we got back and he said that they would put us up in their homes and we would have an enjoyable free day on shore.  He added that this had happened in the past and the ships always came back to get the missing guests.

Now if we were on a private tour our guide might not have known about the early departure so it would have been a surprise when we got to the port.

Regardless of this possibility it almost never happens that this occurs.  We will continue to almost always do private tours unless the private tour takes us very far from the ship or the road conditions are bad in the place we are visiting.  

If by some chance it did happen that we missed the ship we always carry the contact phone number for the port agent.  In addition it would be a good addition to our cruise stories - "Do you remember when we were stranded in ????"

DON

8 hours ago, donaldsc said:

If by some chance it did happen that we missed the ship we always carry the contact phone number for the port agent.  In addition it would be a good addition to our cruise stories - "Do you remember when we were stranded in ????"

DON

Always carry the daily planner on private or DIY tours. Some cruise lines are starting to force people to use their cell phones for everything and may not provide a hard copy. If that is the case, take special note of the contact info.