Current protocol for positive covid test on board

SpiritRiver

49 minutes ago, SpiritRiver said:

What is the current protocol if a passenger tests during the cruise - quarantine on board or disembarked in next port?  Anyone with recent experience? Booked on Viking Sea Mediterranean Odyssey in May.  

It should read “if a passenger tests positive during the cruise”.  

1 hour ago, SpiritRiver said:

What is the current protocol if a passenger tests during the cruise - quarantine on board or disembarked in next port?  Anyone with recent experience? Booked on Viking Sea Mediterranean Odyssey in May.  

Depends on the countries you are visiting, as the local Health Authorities can dictate to the Master, if s/he reports any infectious diseases.

15 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Depends on the countries you are visiting, as the local Health Authorities can dictate to the Master, if s/he reports any infectious diseases.

To answer my own question, I just had a long on-line chat with a Viking representative about this issue.  He said it is currently, and will be for the foreseeable future, Viking’s policy that Covid-positive passengers will be disembarked at the next port to quarantine at their own expense and return home at their own expense.  The captain has no discretion in the matter.  He explained that while other cruise lines are relaxing their Covid protocol, Viking has no plans to change.  So - decisions, decisions.  

13 minutes ago, SpiritRiver said:

To answer my own question, I just had a long on-line chat with a Viking representative about this issue.  He said it is currently, and will be for the foreseeable future, Viking’s policy that Covid-positive passengers will be disembarked at the next port to quarantine at their own expense and return home at their own expense.  The captain has no discretion in the matter.  He explained that while other cruise lines are relaxing their Covid protocol, Viking has no plans to change.  So - decisions, decisions.  

That's an interesting change in the Viking Policy, as while it has always been to disembark COVID +ve cases, until now, I believe Viking were paying for the quarantine.

The on-line rep knows the Viking Policy, but clearly has no knowledge of marine regulations. The Master must follow any directions provided by the local authorities, even if they contravene company policy.

Section 5.2 of the ISM Code provides the Master with overriding authority on all matters relating to safety and pollution prevention. If the Master considers that the next port is unsafe to land pax ashore s/he has the overriding authority to refuse and retain them aboard.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SpiritRiver said:

If that is truly Vikings policy and future plans, we have two booked World Cruises that we shall be cancelling and sailing with other lines.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

That's an interesting change in the Viking Policy, as while it has always been to disembark COVID +ve cases, until now, I believe Viking were paying for the quarantine.

The on-line rep knows the Viking Policy, but clearly has no knowledge of marine regulations. The Master must follow any directions provided by the local authorities, even if they contravene company policy.

Section 5.2 of the ISM Code provides the Master with overriding authority on all matters relating to safety and pollution prevention. If the Master considers that the next port is unsafe to land pax ashore s/he has the overriding authority to refuse and retain them aboard.

It was my understanding early on that Viking would pay for quarantine and the flight home.  The rep indicated that were I(we) to be disembarked we could file a claim with our trip insurance.  I suppose this is no different than if one of us were to become ill or injured and require more treatment or hospitalization we would be at the mercy of the insurance company for reimbursement for our expenses.  We aren’t leaving until May 9 so I’ll monitor the situation between now and then. If anyone else would like to chat with them and confirm my conversation with Viking, please dol. I would love to be corrected to the good.

Well I was quite certain that I had clearly seen, in writing for our upcoming April cruise, confirmation of what would happen if a positive test was to occur. The information given was that  we would be quarantined on shore at Viking's expense and returned home afterwards at Viking's expense. Of course, now I cannot find that information anywhere! I hope someone more organized than I am can resolve this question.( In our case, we do have insurance with Viking and Trip Mate. )

3 hours ago, SpiritRiver said:

It was my understanding early on that Viking would pay for quarantine and the flight home.  The rep indicated that were I(we) to be disembarked we could file a claim with our trip insurance.  I suppose this is no different than if one of us were to become ill or injured and require more treatment or hospitalization we would be at the mercy of the insurance company for reimbursement for our expenses.  We aren’t leaving until May 9 so I’ll monitor the situation between now and then. If anyone else would like to chat with them and confirm my conversation with Viking, please dol. I would love to be corrected to the good.

That was also my understanding, as even recently, Viking were paying for the quarantine and repatriation. Agree, that they are now dealing with it similar to any other medical issue that requires you to be disembarked.

All the more reason to have excellent travel/medical insurance.

Edited by Heidi13

1 hour ago, lackcreativity said:

Well I was quite certain that I had clearly seen, in writing for our upcoming April cruise, confirmation of what would happen if a positive test was to occur. The information given was that  we would be quarantined on shore at Viking's expense and returned home afterwards at Viking's expense. Of course, now I cannot find that information anywhere! I hope someone more organized than I am can resolve this question.( In our case, we do have insurance with Viking and Trip Mate. )

Good point. I’m certain I read that on MVJ  for our cruise as recently as 2 days ago.  I brought to the attention of my DH at the time. I just checked and poof!  It’s gone. 

A friend on a recent Northern Lights cruise was asymptomatic but tested positive and was quarantined on board in a room by herself on level 3 till she tested negative. Her roommate never tested positive and remained in their cabin. I think it was 2 or 3 nights? That was her experience. 

4 minutes ago, Liz Masterson said:

A friend on a recent Northern Lights cruise was asymptomatic but tested positive and was quarantined on board in a room by herself on level 3 till she tested negative. Her roommate never tested positive and remained in their cabin. I think it was 2 or 3 nights? That was her experience. 

Was her roommate confined to the cabin?

1 hour ago, millybess said:

Good point. I’m certain I read that on MVJ  for our cruise as recently as 2 days ago.  I brought to the attention of my DH at the time. I just checked and poof!  It’s gone. 

As of tonight.

Screenshot_20220314-200430_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

It doesn't seemed to be mentioned in the passenger cruise contract either, so does that mean if we booked with the thought that Viking would cover arrangements in the event of a positive test, this is no longer actually the case? It's odd they wouldn't have a cut off date, like cruises booked before April 2022 you are fully covered ect.

From the wording posted above it seems Viking just merely acts as a travel agent /concierge to make arrangements, and not covering the expenses? The refunding I think refers to the prorated cost of the missed cruise time if you have to disembark.

Edited by oceancruiser20

5 minutes ago, oceancruiser20 said:

It doesn't seemed to be mentioned in the passenger cruise contract either, so does that mean if we booked with the thought that Viking would cover arrangements in the event of a positive test, this is no longer actually the case? From the wording posted above it seems Viking just merely acts as a travel agent /concierge to make arrangements, and not covering the expenses?

From the cruise contract Paragraph 20

If you are detained on board or elsewhere at any time or at final destination because of quarantine, port regulations, illness or other cause, all expenses incurred in connection with such detention shall be your sole responsibility unless otherwise required by applicable law. If you are carried aboard the Ship beyond final destination for any reason, without fault of the Carrier, you shall pay for any extra costs. Should it become necessary, in the sole judgment of the Master, to transfer you for medical reasons, the cost of such transfer shall be borne by you.

8 hours ago, Cadodge said:

As of tonight.

Screenshot_20220314-200430_Chrome.jpg

Yes I saw that.  I was responding to lackcreativity's remark that "The information given was that  we would be quarantined on shore at Viking's expense and returned home afterwards at Viking's expense."

From my experience - I was quarantined on the ship for 5 days (even though we went to two ports during that time, I was not put off the ship)  The doctor on the Viking Venus considered the ship our "home" and we were quarantined on level 3.  My husband tested negative, and had no restrictions.  You are quarantined until you test negative (PCR CT titer >=30) or 5 days, which ever comes first.  Nurse visits about 9 am every day for temp, O2 testing and saliva PCR, Dr. comes at 5pm to check how you are doing.  While no housekeeping during your quarantine, they will bring you anything you need, and you can order from an extensive room service (even wine & spirits!).  

• Like 2

On 3/14/2022 at 10:46 AM, SpiritRiver said:

Well, different Viking rep, different answer to the question.  This rep said it is Viking’s policy that, generally, Covid-positive pax quarantine on board unless the country being visited requires disembarkation.  In that event, expenses are the responsibility of the pax who would file a claim with trip insurance.  Now to research policy of countries we’re visiting.  Thanks for your patience in reading all these posts as I try to learn the most up-to-date info. 

On 3/14/2022 at 4:09 PM, SpiritRiver said:

This is different than becoming ill or injured because Viking is LOOKING for covid with daily testing. Asymptomatic covid would go unnoticed otherwise. We just postponed our Mediterranean cruise for a year due to these crazy protocols. The most mind boggling protocol is that despite everyone on the ship being vaccinated and everyone that is out and about on the ship tested negative that morning, they still require a mask. Are you kidding me? We're going on another cruise line this year. God forbid this insanity is still in place a year from now.

Edited by brianw123
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, zalusky said:

Are things treated differently if you have Tripmate?  Do they concierge better and deal with all the paperwork or do you have to deal with Tripmate after the fact?

No difference. You still have to pay your expenses and file for reimbursement.

Viking merely sells a cruise line branded policy as many cruise lines do. None of them are in the insurance business. Tripmate administers policies for several companies.