Windjammer back to self-service

I agree I'd rather see the serving stay....definately more sanitary.  Although there are still people that won't wait & reach over & serve themselves!  Why do people have to be in such a hurry & so nasty about the whole thing when it was done to protect us?  They have plenty of other jobs they could be doing rather than serving people making nasty aggrivated faces at them.  😞  

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

It was reported earlier in the thread that the Oasis was back to self serve WJ as of today.  Obviously many are skimming over this fact.  RCI bled millions because of Covid and anyway they can cut costs and get things back to how they were before Covid, they will do it.  Many people will be upset over this because they liked being served and the many positives that went along with it.

Many will have to adapt or pivot when it comes to their WJ choices, like it or not.

You are right; the cruiselines must return to profitability.  Many of us have enjoyed the lower number if passengers, too.  That, likewise, must change for the cruiselines to be profitable (and thus to survive and continue to cruise).

My point was simply that some of the people who have enjoyed being served while the passenger census was low might not like the experience so well once the ships return to full capacity.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

I have an idea, how about those that want to be served go to a dining room or speciality restaurant and those that want to self-serve go to buffet. Oh wait 🙂

Funny.

Of course, there are times (such as port day lunches) that dining room and specialty restaurants are not an option.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

You are right; the cruiselines must return to profitability.  Many of us have enjoyed the lower number if passengers, too.  That, likewise, must change for the cruiselines to be profitable (and thus to survive and continue to cruise).

My point was simply that some of the people who have enjoyed being served while the passenger census was low might not like the experience so well once the ships return to full capacity.  

The reduced capacity cruising and all of the positives that went along with it need to be tempered by a dose of reality.  The reality is that occupancy  percentages are on the increase and short term luxuries such as being served in the WJ will no longer exist.  If these realities do not sit well with people, there are alternatives such as no longer going to the WJ or choosing another cruise line.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

No help needed from you. But, again, THANKS!

You're quite welcome.  So, are you going to avoid the WJ and all of those germs, or because of RCI's decision to return to self serve you'll be looking for a more upscale cruise line that will serve you in their buffet?

First sailing I was ever on back in 2006 had self service in WJ... for the first 5 days. Then day 6 it was serve yourself. The ship had a very large Noro outbreak the sailing before us and they were in their Noro protocols. I didn't realize the crew service was special until it wasn't there.

I like the crew service, but don't mind the self service. People do some gross stuff, but then most people go get into a pool that is 50/50 pee and sunscreen, so I think I can deal with a kid touching my hot dog bun before I get it.

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Being dramatic much? For one thing they DO NOT slap the food on the plate at least not on the last 12 cruises since the restart and neither in the last 3 weeks. If you want more or less just tell them and they are happy to oblige. If you don’t like it there are other places to eat or ask for what you want. I hope it stays the way it is. Have you been in a prison canteen? Just saying. 🐝🐝🐝

Wellll... while the word may not be the correct one, the last few cruises I have noticed the "slapping" of food on the plate. The first 6 or 7 not really, but the last 8 to 10 I have noticed it. I think they are tired of doing it. (I don't blame them for being tired of it) Me and a friend of mine were talking about this on the last cruise. 

I have actually asked for a small amount of this or that, and point to side of the plate, and they have in a few cases just thrown the food on top of the other food, and have ignored when I have said things like 1 piece or "just a little bit." I only have one piece of bacon, and last week on the Oasis I asked for 1 piece, and used my finger to indicate one... I got 9 pieces. Unfortunately, that does not work for me. I do not like a lot of food piled on, as I would rather make more trips if still hungry. Also, don't like when food is unnecessarily wasted. Does it ruin anything for me... no, I just fix it and move on. Even with all that, I still prefer they serve than to deal with everyone else touching the handles. It won't last... oh well.

9 hours ago, D4 said:

We boarded Oasis today (3/20/2022) and almost everything in the Windjammer was self serve.  Ugh. 😱

Hmmm..boarded Navigator on March 18 and Windjammer is served.  We like it so much better. Much more sanitary. Just tell the server if I want more or less has worked perfectly. Have not had to wait much but ship is sailing at 56% capacity. Might be a problem when cruising numbers get back to pre covid if RCL does not add more servers.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, D4 said:

Did you read the comment I posted earlier today on this thread?

We boarded Oasis today and Windjammer was mainly self serve😰

I had not seen that.  Hopefully people have better manners than before Covid!

• Like 1

Its a shame i would have preferred it to stay as a service rather then self serv. I found it was more poilte, less queue jumping and good to chat to the staff. Also i would imagine there would have been less food wasted.

But it is what it is makes not a big cruise ending drama. 

• Like 3

I just got off Brilliance on Saturday (3/19/22) and as of breakfast that day, Windjammer food was still being served by crew. There were a few grab and go type items but otherwise, items were served by crew.

• Like 1

Whether WJ goes back to self-serve or stays the way it is now will not affect where, how, or how much we eat on a cruise. Now, if RCL would offer a room service order from the MDR dinner menu option to the general customer (even if it came at a fee - sort of like a budget version of a UDP), we definitely would re-think how we dine on RCL ships.

Just wait til capacity is back to anything near normal... all of you crying for served food will be crying even more because WJ "takes too long to serve" or "wait staff is rude" because they are serving 6000+ rude, impatient guests every week

• Like 1