Anyone ever use the non-U.S. outlet in their cabin?

Our CCL ships have always had the two round prong European outlets (Schuko)... the Australian plugs are two blade like a US plug but canted into an A shape.  There's also a variation that has a third grounding blade in the center which is widely used in China.

You shouldn't need a voltage converter plug for most electronics -- just the adapter.  Verify that your power can be 110-220V and 50-60Hz.  Just about all small electronics, laptops, etc. now can use variable voltage and self-adjust as needed without having to use a converter.

I have a Schuko to US plug that works on the round two-pin outlets found on the older ships. 

Not sure why cruise lines aren't taking the approach that hotels and airplanes do by including a universal plug...

Edited by Lane Hog

I already had the adapters from land vacations and am happy I bring them each time. On my Legend cruise, I was able to make use of the EU chargers behind the bed, otherwise there was only 1 US outlet at the desk! And due to the configuration of the desk US and EU outlets being right next to each other, it was hard to use certain plugs and adapters at the same time. 

I bought a European adapter which (usually) gives us two power sources, one for a multi USB charger (for our phones), and one for the laptop charger.

As already mentioned make absolutely certain that anything you plug into the adapter can work on 220 VAC.

I just got off Spirit this morning and didn't realize that she had an Australian outlet instead of a European outlet so we had to survive with just the US outlet.  Not a big deal, I just alternated between charging phones and my laptop and made sure that the outlet was always being utilized.

On 3/26/2022 at 6:20 PM, FruitStandaficionado said:

So too many electronics and not enough plugs! I've seen recommendations of bringing along an adapter for the non-U.S. outlet in the cabin. It looks like the Spirit (which is what I am next cruising on), has an Australian outlet along with the U.S. outlet at the desk. Anyone have any recommendations?

Being from Europe: yes, I use it frequently 😉 I use an adapter for the US-plug to charge my phone/e-reader/whatever.

• Like 2