Sharing a table in the dining room

esther e

One of the main reasons I like cruising is to be able to have dinner with different people and possibly make new friends. I am right now on a celebrity cruise that has a policy of no sharing. As a solo there is nothing more depressing than sitting at a table dining by yourself 

My question is does regent allow sharing for solo? I have a reservation with them for next year but if they have the same policy then I’m canceling. Maybe it’s because of Covid but for me and it’s just not pleasant. 

31 minutes ago, esther e said:

One of the main reasons I like cruising is to be able to have dinner with different people and possibly make new friends. I am right now on a celebrity cruise that has a policy of no sharing. As a solo there is nothing more depressing than sitting at a table dining by yourself 

My question is does regent allow sharing for solo? I have a reservation with them for next year but if they have the same policy then I’m canceling. Maybe it’s because of Covid but for me and it’s just not pleasant. 

Absolutely! Each night the Social Hostess will have a pre-dinner get-together for drinks... "Solo and Social Traveler" with the option to continue together for dinner.  Great evening...and you may meet up with others to share shore excursions, too

Just off of the Explorer a couple of weeks ago and can indeed verify that there was something every day in the Passages about a meet up each evening in the Observation Lounge (around 6:30pm) for all "social travellers". 

On a couple of different occasions, my wife and I would be in lounge near the meet up group (It was generally small, 4 or 5 people at most) and besides the social hostess, there were always a couple of members of entertainment cast and everyone seemed to be having a great time!  

8 hours ago, rkaratsu said:

Just off of the Explorer a couple of weeks ago and can indeed verify that there was something every day in the Passages about a meet up each evening in the Observation Lounge (around 6:30pm) for all "social travellers". 

On a couple of different occasions, my wife and I would be in lounge near the meet up group (It was generally small, 4 or 5 people at most) and besides the social hostess, there were always a couple of members of entertainment cast and everyone seemed to be having a great time!  

As a solo traveler, I am so pleased to hear about this! Kwaj girl and rkaratsu, thx for sharing this important tidbit!

Just an fyi - The social hostess can make a group reservation in the specialty restaurants for the solo group.  You might pick up some extra specialty dining this way.  Or at least she did on our cruise.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HotRoot said:

Just an fyi - The social hostess can make a group reservation in the specialty restaurants for the solo group.  You might pick up some extra specialty dining this way.  Or at least she did on our cruise.

Yippee! This will be very helpful, seeing as how the solo prices only apply to the very low state room categories.

I am hoping that Covid has not greatly changed the program.  On my last cruise in 2019 I was able to meet with and dine with many of the entertainers, but I have read on these boards that dining with crew is now limited.

23 hours ago, esther e said:

I'm Platinum on Regent so has been on many voyages. I have a reservation for next year on Celebrity Apex in Retreat. If they prohibit sharing a table, I will cancel. I travel solo and enjoy sharing tables on Regent that are usually arranged by the Social Hostess or Assistant Cruise Director.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, esther e said:

That’s so messed up ! Did you know before the start of the cruise that would be the case? 

Esther,  I have another suggestion.  Sign up on cruise critic for your cruise and start writing notes and determine if you hit it off with anyone.   A single cruiser that I was chatting with seemed like someone to get to know better and joined my husband and I for a few dinners.  We had a delightful day together eating all kinds of great food after we ditched the tour, which was running a bit long and boring.  

As a single woman and a foreign country she probably wouldn’t have done that, but with two more people - why not. We picked up the cab fare there and she picked up the return.  

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Scout16 said:

I am hoping that Covid has not greatly changed the program.  On my last cruise in 2019 I was able to meet with and dine with many of the entertainers, but I have read on these boards that dining with crew is now limited.

Scout16, I believe someone posted on a Regent thread that solo dinners, while not well attended, include several entertainers to accompany the solos. I’m pretty sure this was post covid. I thought that sounded like a lot of fun.

Edited by PhD-iva
Edit
  • Like 1

I’m on Navigator now, and sharing is very much allowed. We aren’t doing it this cruise because we have a full table with the group I’m on with, but I see it happening. And even if you don’t join the Solo and Social group, you can just walk into Compass Rose and ask to share. My favorite request is “put me with some fun people” and they do just that. That’s how some of the people in my current group first met.

To share in a specialty restaurant, just check the box saying you want to share when you make your reservation. On an Explorer cruise I was on in November, they weren’t doing sharing the first night, but we were seated close to the table next to us and struck up a conversation with a couple who we dined with again, and not consider friends.

FWIW, I started sailing Regent as a solo and found it very easy to meet people because of how they handle dining. I now travel with a friend I met on my first Regent cruise, but stay aware of how the solos are faring.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, wishIweretravelling said:

I’m on Navigator now, and sharing is very much allowed. We aren’t doing it this cruise because we have a full table with the group I’m on with, but I see it happening. And even if you don’t join the Solo and Social group, you can just walk into Compass Rose and ask to share. My favorite request is “put me with some fun people” and they do just that. That’s how some of the people in my current group first met.

To share in a specialty restaurant, just check the box saying you want to share when you make your reservation. On an Explorer cruise I was on in November, they weren’t doing sharing the first night, but we were seated close to the table next to us and struck up a conversation with a couple who we dined with again, and not consider friends.

FWIW, I started sailing Regent as a solo and found it very easy to meet people because of how they handle dining. I now travel with a friend I met on my first Regent cruise, but stay aware of how the solos are faring.

TY so much for your post. I’m booked as a solo for my first Regent cruise, but doesn’t sail until 2024! I’m salivating until then!

• Like 1

On 3/29/2022 at 10:12 PM, Mahogany said:

I'm Platinum on Regent so has been on many voyages. I have a reservation for next year on Celebrity Apex in Retreat. If they prohibit sharing a table, I will cancel. I travel solo and enjoy sharing tables on Regent that are usually arranged by the Social Hostess or Assistant Cruise Director.

@Mahogany I was on Navigator's last cruise and the Social Hostess/Assistant Cruise Director encouraged us to join the Solo and Social Cruisers most nights.  It's also printed in the Passages, the daily newsletter.  We saw the ACD in the Compass Rose most nights with her group.  So you will find a group to enjoy dinner with.

We also found that CD Ray and other staff members hosted tables on Seven Seas Society night.  It seems the captains (we had two last cruise) were still keeping their distance from passengers but did greet guests as they passed by you.  

I guess I didn't make myself clear. On all my Regent cruises, traveling solo has resulted in many enjoyable dinners arranged by the Social Hostess. I was referring to esther e's post about not allowing sharing on Celebrity Apex which I have reserved for next April. No sharing, no go!