Clam shells on HMC

matymil

26 minutes ago, matymil said:

Ive seen alot of negative reviews on the clam shell rentals at HMC. Most say they are pushed way to close together. Does anyone have any feedback on these that has rented one recently?

I read the same thing, was hoping to rent one on our April cruise.

55 minutes ago, lennythenose said:

We were there in October. You can see they are touching each other. It didn’t bother me though. I actually never thought about it until I read your question. 

4237D093-562F-4F8E-9E64-93F62D43C260.jpeg

Awesome. Thanks for the info

• Like 1

They do basically touch each other, I would recommend one anyway to get some shade. I do kind of wonder if our experience was enhanced by our neighbors basically never using theirs? It was kind of funny as they seemed to have their chairs pulled out the entire time and were baking in the sun, almost like why did they even rent it..

• Like 1

We were just at HmC and rented a clamshell. 
i warned my husband that if we got off late we’d have to walk all the way down.  And we did. 
but I actually didn’t mind it. It was quieter than up closer. 
As others have shown they are close together but it didn’t bother me. I was also very grateful for the shade. 

We just got back from a cruise and rented one of these.  They are indeed close to each other but once you are sitting in them, they feel very private.  The one we had was situated on a dune so the chair isn't really flat but it angled toward the ocean which was not too bad.  They can also cut out any breeze when you are sitting in them.

It turned out that we didn't spend much time in it.  Between swimming and walking around to see things, there wasn't much time spent laying on the chairs.  That said, we would probably get them again because there isn't any other way to get shade when sitting on the beach and the price was worth it for us.

Be sure to get off the ship early though.  They fill up really fast near the ship and you will need to walk further to find one as the day progresses.

We rented one when we were there a couple weeks ago. Here is my reason why you should rent one. First, because it is technically an excursion, you got to go to the theater and be one of the first people off. We were off before they started even putting them up. So we got 2 chairs right out front by the water, put towels on them. Then when they put the clamshells up we got that too, and put some stuff in that. We were able to go back and forth between the two the whole day. Best of both worlds. 

On 3/30/2022 at 10:24 PM, CookieShip said:

They do basically touch each other, I would recommend one anyway to get some shade. I do kind of wonder if our experience was enhanced by our neighbors basically never using theirs? It was kind of funny as they seemed to have their chairs pulled out the entire time and were baking in the sun, almost like why did they even rent it..

The people that rent/reserve  these with no intention of using them are probably the same people that hoarded toilet paper in 2020.  I WON'T USE IT but I'll get it anyway....LOL

Never liked that the chairs and loungers are so close together on the private islands as well as the ship so I never use any of them.  Too close for comfort!

On 4/4/2022 at 8:49 AM, ajm said:

We just got back from a cruise and rented one of these.  They are indeed close to each other but once you are sitting in them, they feel very private.  The one we had was situated on a dune so the chair isn't really flat but it angled toward the ocean which was not too bad.  They can also cut out any breeze when you are sitting in them.

It turned out that we didn't spend much time in it.  Between swimming and walking around to see things, there wasn't much time spent laying on the chairs.  That said, we would probably get them again because there isn't any other way to get shade when sitting on the beach and the price was worth it for us.

Be sure to get off the ship early though.  They fill up really fast near the ship and you will need to walk further to find one as the day progresses.

Thanks for the info. If you have them pre purchased do you know if you can reserve which one you want on the ship or do you have to wait until you get to HMC.

44 minutes ago, matymil said:

Thanks for the info. If you have them pre purchased do you know if you can reserve which one you want on the ship or do you have to wait until you get to HMC.

You have to wait until you get there. First come, first serve. 
the later you get there, the further down the beach you’ll be. 

• Like 1