Jim_Iain – Silhouette Live Post April 8, 21, 30 - B3B - TransAtlantic, Portugal Spain, France and the Norwegian Fjords

Jim_Iain

FWIW, due to all the reading enthusiasts who have posted, I have started keeping an updated listing of all the book selections suggested.  I will post it every once in a while, and will keep it updated as new suggestions roll in.  Let me know if I have missed any.  Here is the updated list so far.

Joanie

Georges Simenon Series 
Gideon Oliver -Aaron  Elkins  series 
Louise Penny’s Gamache series.

Dorothy L. Sayers Lord Peter Wimsey series

Any books by Josephine Tey

Barbara Hambly - Benjamin January series, if you like historical mysteries!
JD Robb books and Robert B Parker
The Scarapetta series by Patricia Cornwel
MC Beaton books
Elizabeth George’s Inspector Lynley Series. 
Donna Leon’s Brunetti series. 
Any books by Tana French
Any books by P. D. James.  
Greg Isles, a writer from Natchez, MS.
Snowblind” by Ragnar Jonasson.  (Book 1 of 6 - DarkIceland)
Cork O’Connor series by William Kent Krueger.  Also non-series books.
Brad Thor
JK Rowling (author of Harry Potter series), writing under the name Robert Galbraith -- the Cormoran Strike series.

Andrea Camilleri -- the Inspector Montalbano series.

Helen Fields -- the Perfect series.

Karin Slaughter -- the Will Trent series

Daniel Silva - Gabriel Allon series

James Crumley —should be read in order
Winston Graham—Poldark series
Janet Evanovich—Stephanie Plum series.  Fox and Hare series.
Anything by Tim Dorsey or Carl Hiassen 
Old Archie comic books and Mad Magazine. 🙂
Ian Rankin’s Rebus series

Peter Robinson’s DCI Banks series

Nevada Barr’s National Parks series

Anything by Anne Cleeves

Richard Jury series by Martha Grimes - current times

Thomas Pitt series by Anne Perry - Victorian era

(and if you are planning a trip to Egypt check out the

Amelia Peabody series by Elizabeth Peters)

Armistead Maupin's Tales of the City.  4 books.
The Longmire books by Craig Johnson.  Also suggest the fantastic series on Netflix.
David McCullough 'Path Between the Seas' (Panama Canal)
Caroline Graham Inspector Barnaby series. 

John Sandford , the Prey series and the Virgil Flowers series

Any books by Harlan Coben

Khalid Hosseini, A Thousand Splendid Suns

Cupcake Brown, A Piece of Cake

Andy Weir, “not science fiction but science plausibility”

Danelle Harmon Series

Caleb Carr -  The Alienist.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 8

On 4/13/2022 at 3:47 AM, Jim_Iain said:

Dinner 5

1543174174_Luminae-Dinner_Page_06.thumb.jpg.4191cf245e0ae40718861e9481763a10.jpg

473738852_MDRMenu_Page_09.thumb.jpg.6c478fd161b4b5e095187b2746a55805.jpg

Really quiet last evening.    The staff said it was busy at 5:30 and then calmed down .

Amuse Bouche

99D037E0-1534-4141-8100-3A2D74924075.thumb.jpeg.7ba4451910a7615be8bc9e2965d1f98c.jpeg

Mini Caprese

For Starters I had the Pear and Anjou Pear (MDR) and Iain had the Smoked Potato Soup

B5855E8F-2B5C-430A-B6FF-80A964D068B0.thumb.jpeg.b7c68b1b427ee301d081e476a725a75d.jpeg

944AE258-3F3D-40E1-AE7C-3B6273B9F0BA.thumb.jpeg.7678f9b3acf01791dc9ddda6fb24fceb.jpeg

For our Main Course Iain had Iain had the Chicken Roulade (MDR) and I had the Scallops.   I was in the mood for a light meal and only ate the Scallops (not a fan of Pork Belly).   Our waiter was concerned and brought another plate of 10 scallops -  we both ate a couple more.   

For desert we both had the Banana Foster  (MDR)  

1543174025_Luminae-Dessert_Page_08.thumb.jpg.135f7f5ef7a8555f9f72b24a25ca2e8e.jpg

One thing that bothers me is that waiters love to bring extra food and/or dishes I didn’t order. It may seem silly to some but seeing a double order on my plate makes me lose my appetite. I also hate the unnecessary waste. We’ve been on 6 cruises since the restart and it’s a constant problem even when I ask them not to bring extra food. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Torfamm said:

One thing that bothers me is that waiters love to bring extra food and/or dishes I didn’t order. It may seem silly to some but seeing a double order on my plate makes me lose my appetite. I also hate the unnecessary waste. We’ve been on 6 cruises since the restart and it’s a constant problem even when I ask them not to bring extra food. 

You can order half portion or appetizer sized meals which should solve the extra food issue.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, islabahia said:

You can order half portion or appetizer sized meals which should solve the extra food issue.

Not if the waiter brings food I did not order. That is what happens. Double portions, extra dishes etc. 

• Like 1

Hi Jim,

Hoping the seas have calmed! 

On the last Murano menu, I did not see the Lobster. Have they done away with it? We were on the Reflection a few weeks ago & it was delicious! 

So sorry to hear there are Covid cases onboard. Has the Captain made any announcement? 

Stay safe while enjoying yourselves!

5 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

FWIW, due to all the reading enthusiasts who have posted, I have started keeping an updated listing of all the book selections suggested.  I will post it every once in a while, and will keep it updated as new suggestions roll in.  Let me know if I have missed any.  Here is the updated list so far.

Mystery enthusiasts might also enjoy the Magpie Murders/Susan Ryeland series by Anthony Horowitz, or his Horowitz and Hawthorne series. I'm looking forward to the Magpie Murders television adaptation popping up on PBS here . . . I believe it's already out for our British friends.

And whoever was looking for a series with 95 books might want to see if the classic Nero Wolfe books by Rex Stout appeal to you. Between the original Stout run from the 1920s-1970s and the later revival written by Robert Goldsborough, there are several dozen novels and short stories. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, BeeMinor said:

Mystery enthusiasts might also enjoy the Magpie Murders/Susan Ryeland series by Anthony Horowitz, or his Horowitz and Hawthorne series. I'm looking forward to the Magpie Murders television adaptation popping up on PBS here . . . I believe it's already out for our British friends.

It's available on Brit Box which is a pay for service. I agree its a good book to read, a mystery within a mystery type book

15 hours ago, louise1809 said:

Loving your beautiful photos. Have you read A thousand splendid suns by Khalid Hosseini? It is my favourite book of all time. Also, Cupcake Brown, A piece of cake is very good. 

He also wrote The Kite Runner. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, DUTRAVEL said:

Another vote for checking out eBooks from the library. I use our library here in Contra Costa County all the time. If the library doesn't have the book you want available to check out (they only have the number of books they have a license for), you can place a book on hold and they will notify you when the book becomes available. I always have ten books on hold (the maximum) and that provides a steady supply of books since usually one becomes available just as I am finishing the book I currently have checked out. You can check out five books at a time.

I get nervous if I have less than 20 on the wish list! When I retired I decided I could not spend $150/mo on books.. Love the e-books..and I was a long time hold out...not anymore, I always have at least 4 -6 on my bookshelf And probably read 2-4 books a week...Sometimes more!

• Like 5

Finally back with you.   The internet was down for most of yesterday and finally came back up about 11:00 last night. 

We had mild seas yesterday with a couple showers in the morning and then beautiful sunny afternoon.    Temperatures have been mild at about 67.

Today is a sunny day and temps to be 67-68.   

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Torfamm said:

We are much the same and our waiter agreed to ask for smaller portions.  We've noticed that we are naturally cutting back on our food as we get to the half way point of the crossing. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, purpleally said:

All. Seriously. 

I guess I failed the double blind tests.    I made Iain a Gray Goose and Fever Tree instead of the Schwepps and He didn't say a word.    I asked him how it tasted and he said ok.   Chuckling I said did you notice any difference and he said no.

Maybe it was that I poured him a stiff on (maybe 3 shots). 

• Haha 7

We have had 3 times zone changes in the past 3 days and I didn't wake up until 9:00 this morning.   Really throwing me off so will have to leave for my walk and will get back later to get caught up.

This morning I couldn't get my YouTubeTv working saying it does not support the country I am in.   I guess we must be on a European Server now.   I'll work on it later.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Torfamm said:

One thing that bothers me is that waiters love to bring extra food and/or dishes I didn’t order. It may seem silly to some but seeing a double order on my plate makes me lose my appetite.

I don't think it's a new thing since the restart.  I always figured the waiters are happy to bring multiple dishes thinking it will get them extra tip money.  It's odd that the cruise line allows this since it must greatly increase costs, at no cost to the waiter.

Our first cruise was in 2011 and we were at a medium sized table with a husband, wife and teenage son.  The husband always asked for 3 or 4 of the entree courses.  Some he'd take a single bite and push the plate aside.  Some he'd eat a few bites and then push it aside.  Lots of waste.  He also had the waiter bring a small plate of diced up jalapeño's to the table for each dinner.

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Looks like Concierge given invite to helipad

34F3DE9A-3F12-4AF7-BE14-2627B9F598D4.thumb.jpeg.3e5e914921b985c31a2a80733b66b3f6.jpeg

Very nice for sure... do you think they would pick up the fact that I was not a Concierge Level Passenger by just showing up??? LOL

Enjoy and bon voyage

• Haha 1

“We have had 3 times zone changes in the past 3 days and I didn't wake up until 9:00 this morning.   Really throwing me off so will have to leave for my walkand will get back later to get caught up.”

On our first Eastbound TA we were astonished at the toll the time zone changes made.  We were all out of sync, though we tried to ignore it.  But, like you, our sleeping patterns were definitely different.  As a result we definitely now prefer going west.   But I’d prefer going east on a ship any day compared to a plane.  

Joanie

• Like 3