Princess ad on TV last night-Alaska compared to a theme park vacation

sept10dsm

Disneyland 5 day hopper is $440 for anyone over 10, $400 for 9 and under.  Family of 4 $1680 for park entry.  Cheapest I can find for the hotel is getawaytoday is $640 and that's a true fleabag, no amenities.  No breakfast, no shuttle, no housekeeping and 5 miles from the park.  

So far $2320. 

And you want to eat?  Minimum of $50 per person per day so an additional $1000.  

Lets round it to $3500.

You can get an inside for 4 people on a 5 day cruise for $2000 or less. Normally much less.  But then there are grats to consider, unless you choose to remove them.  

So I understand the comparison of half the price, of basic no frills package.  

We each choose what we want in a vacation.  Personally, I'm happy with an inside, thrilled to have a window and beyond ecstatic with a balcony.  And I can do all those things for much much less than disney.  

We used to go to disneyland at least 2x a year, until it became out of our comfort zone.  We haven't done disney since we discovered cruising.  I'd love to go back to disney, but we won't as long as cruise fares stay where they are.

Edited by justafem
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Did you notice that according to the  2nd Princess ad, you will aurora in the summer.  So much for cruise company truth in advertising.  The problem is that many people will actually expect to see intense aurora in the summer and will feel gyped when they don't see them.

DON

9 hours ago, Princessfan20 said:

I do not thank so because our family has 2 mini suites booked for a 10 day cruise this summer to Alaska and the minis alone are over $16,000.......  That does not even include excursions, drinks, tips, and all the other things that are yet to come.....  No way a cruise is all that great a value

One,  drinks and tips should already be included with the Princess Plus option. I assume you're familiar with it since your nickname is Princessfan20.   Two, a cruise is a great value, book an inside cabin, nobody twisted your arm to get two mini suites and drop 16 K.   If you're cruising Alaska and out and about on a fantastic excursion, you don't need that expensive mini suite.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

We are leaving in a few weeks on a 7 day Alaska trip. Balcony cabin with free wifi, gratuities and drink package is right around 2300/person. That is 4200 for two. Checked on a 7 day Disney World vacation for the same time frame and it was over 7000.00 for two. Plus on the cruise we get to go to several ports and do not have to pay for room, food or transportation as they are included in the cruise once we get on board. Not so Disney.

8 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Did you notice that according to the  2nd Princess ad, you will aurora in the summer.  So much for cruise company truth in advertising.  The problem is that many people will actually expect to see intense aurora in the summer and will feel gyped when they don't see them.

DON

It's those darn marketing guys again....

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Princessfan20 said:

Not so.....we know Princess pricing very well and currently have the lowest mini-suite prices on that particular ship and itinerary at this time.  

We do not see cruising as necessarily the most value when it comes to travel.  We are always able to fly first class and stay in some of the best hotels in the world fo far less money than being on a cruise ship.  It now seems it is a nickel and dime world on the mass market cruise lines like Princess.  

As a matter of fact, we have decided that with Princess offering less for more money we are probably going to be going to Viking, Oceania, Seabourn or Silversea and get what we are willing to pay for.

sooooo ... not a Princessfan ?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, c-boy said:

sooooo ... not a Princessfan ?

They're also new to CC, so possibly just someone trolling with a bone to pick? It's hard to know if it's that, or they just have a bad travel agent... especially if they didn't include Princess Plus to cover beverages, internet and gratuities.

That said, I still think "cheaper than a theme park" is a brilliant marketing angle. As someone who is a former WDW passholder (and does not live in the area), I can't overstate how insane on-property stays at Walt Disney World are pricing out at these days. The price of a seven day ticket with add-ons is nearly what I paid for my annual pass in 2017. Most of the inclusions offered if staying on-property (free transportation to/from the airport, early/late access to the parks) is gone. Guest satisfaction is dropping dramatically, but profits are rising because of the jacking up of pricing. 

We haven't been on Princess since the restart, but we have been on multiple other cruises on various lines, and found them to be nearly identical in terms of quality and service to our prior experiences on those lines. From all the chatter about "cuts" on the Princess board, I'm fascinated to actually experience what has been removed from our upcoming sailing... as long as they're not trying to charge me an extra $20 for a skip the line pass to get in the pool, I think I'll be fine. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

...as long as they're not trying to charge me an extra $20 for a skip the line pass to get in the pool, I think I'll be fine. 

I thought I read somewhere about the implementation of a 2.00 upcharge to go to the front of the coffee line at the international cafe.  The advantage though could backfire and turn into a leapfrog situation with multiple people redeeming their upcharge privileges simultaneously. 😄

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, SNJCruisers said:

I thought I read somewhere about the implementation of a 2.00 upcharge to go to the front of the coffee line at the international cafe.  The advantage though could backfire and turn into a leapfrog situation with multiple people redeeming their upcharge privileges simultaneously. 😄

Would be nice to know where you read that.  Talk about a problem being paid to happen. As they redeem their "privileges"  those who have been waiting will most likely have something to say.

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Potstech said:

Would be nice to know where you read that.  Talk about a problem being paid to happen. As they redeem their "privileges"  those who have been waiting will most likely have something to say.

I was making a joke as a reference to the 20.00 skip the line mention in the post I responded to.  At the end of my post I also used a laughing emoji.  Sorry you didn't pick up on the humor.

9 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

I was making a joke as a reference to the 20.00 skip the line mention in the post I responded to.  At the end of my post I also used a laughing emoji.  Sorry you didn't pick up on the humor.

That is how rumors get turned into some believing them and passing them on as truths. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I just posted this thing about the ad since I found it interesting that Princess would compare basically to Disney.  They alluded to it perfectly.  And yes, the fireworks Princess showed wouldn't be during the cruising times, unless the sun keeps acting up as it has been!  Disney is currently in the limelight now and maybe some may consider other trips.  I've been going there over 40 years and costs are truly skyrocketing there as well as all the politics now.  

Edited by sept10dsm

On 4/5/2022 at 4:02 AM, SNJCruisers said:

book an inside cabin, nobody twisted your arm to get two mini suites and drop 16 K.  

To make a fair comparison to a land vacation, most hotel rooms do have a window. So at l;east com[are the cost to an oceanview vacin.

On 4/5/2022 at 12:11 PM, AstoriaPreppy said:

That said, I still think "cheaper than a theme park" is a brilliant marketing angle. As someone who is a former WDW passholder (and does not live in the area), I can't overstate how insane on-property stays at Walt Disney World are pricing out at these days.

Especially since the current President of Princess is a former Disney IT exec.

On 4/5/2022 at 7:28 AM, Potstech said:

Balcony cabin with free wifi, gratuities and drink package is right around 2300/person.

The wifi, gratuities and drink packages are not "free."

You are paying $40/person/day for them.

For seven days for two people, that is $560 you are paying. Definitely not free.

5 hours ago, caribill said:

The wifi, gratuities and drink packages are not "free."

You are paying $40/person/day for them.

For seven days for two people, that is $560 you are paying. Definitely not free.

If they are purchased.  Which we never do as it is not worth it to us.

8 hours ago, sept10dsm said:

I just posted this thing about the ad since I found it interesting that Princess would compare basically to Disney.  They alluded to it perfectly.  And yes, the fireworks Princess showed wouldn't be during the cruising times, unless the sun keeps acting up as it has been!  Disney is currently in the limelight now and maybe some may consider other trips.  I've been going there over 40 years and costs are truly skyrocketing there as well as all the politics now.  

I can't afford a Disneyland vacation but I can afford to cruise in a balcony. Several times a year. Started cruising when the unobstructed ourside room was cheaper than a beachfront stay. 

FWIW 2 grandkids have never been to Disneyland due to price. 2 were only there when performing (musicians). 

(OK. I could afford it but don't see the value in the per day charge - entrance + parking + hotel + food)

3 hours ago, Potstech said:

If they are purchased.  Which we never do as it is not worth it to us.

After factoring out the 14.50 for gratuities, it's 25.50 for wifi and drinks package.  The best value at sea for most cruisers.  Obviously you don't use wifi and you like to drink the included free stuff.  So no soda, fancy coffees, milkshakes, bottled water, wine, beer or mixed drinks.  That's why there's vanilla and chocolate.

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

I can't afford a Disneyland vacation but I can afford to cruise in a balcony. Several times a year. Started cruising when the unobstructed ourside room was cheaper than a beachfront stay. 

FWIW 2 grandkids have never been to Disneyland due to price. 2 were only there when performing (musicians). 

(OK. I could afford it but don't see the value in the per day charge - entrance + parking + hotel + food)

How was your Majestic Alaska cruise?  We're booked for 14 days over Memorial Day in 2023.

Just now, SNJCruisers said:

How was your Majestic Alaska cruise?  We're booked for 14 days over Memorial Day in 2023.

Best one yet!!! Great hiking. Love ziplining. Actually DIY excursions were dirt cheap (totems in Ketchikan $5 bus + site donation, Juneau Tramway $25, ziplining up there but so worth $100)

57 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Best one yet!!! Great hiking. Love ziplining. Actually DIY excursions were dirt cheap (totems in Ketchikan $5 bus + site donation, Juneau Tramway $25, ziplining up there but so worth $100)

It's the first of many bucket list cruises for us, will have over 50 to Caribbean, Mexican Riviera and Canada prior to Alaska. Many Eastern Hemisphere cruises to enjoy.  Currently waiting to embark on the Discovery for a B2B.😄

10 hours ago, caribill said:

To make a fair comparison to a land vacation, most hotel rooms do have a window. So at l;east com[are the cost to an oceanview vacin.

Yup.  Most hotel rooms have a great view of the roof, the building next door or a wall.  

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, justafem said:

Yup.  Most hotel rooms have a great view of the roof, the building next door or a wall.  

And, just like on a cruise, if you want a better view, you're going to pay more.

3 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

After factoring out the 14.50 for gratuities, it's 25.50 for wifi and drinks package.  The best value at sea for most cruisers.  Obviously you don't use wifi and you like to drink the included free stuff.  So no soda, fancy coffees, milkshakes, bottled water, wine, beer or mixed drinks.  That's why there's vanilla and chocolate.

Exactly.  Do not need wifi and only buy drinks occasionally.  May nring a bottle of wine on board with us.