Explorer 1st sailing after dry dock in March '23- Should I be worried?

I am looking to book a cruise between 3/11 - 3/19/23 (non-negotiable on dates) and I am interested in the 6 night Explorer of the Seas leaving 3/12/23 from Miami. All articles I've read show this cruise to be the first one after Explorer comes out of dry dock. 

Has anyone had their trip cancelled/delayed because the ship wasn't completed as planned? Especially with all the supply chain issues in the world right now I'm a bit concerned. I realize anything can happen; just curious if delays happen often from dry dock returns.

Thank you in advance for any reassurance you can give me! 🙂 

I have noticed several dry docks that were extended. Almost had a cruise affected once but luckily the extension didn't go all the way to my cruise date. 

Personally I would not take the chance, and not have to worry about this for the next year. If it happens they give you options but it is last-minute and the options might not fit your requirements, especially since your dates are fixed. I see people here complaining about bad replacement options all the time.  You also need to worry about non-refundable flights and possibly hotel reservations.

I'd book your second choice option instead. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, seavino said:

I am looking to book a cruise between 3/11 - 3/19/23 (non-negotiable on dates) and I am interested in the 6 night Explorer of the Seas leaving 3/12/23 from Miami. All articles I've read show this cruise to be the first one after Explorer comes out of dry dock. 

Has anyone had their trip cancelled/delayed because the ship wasn't completed as planned? Especially with all the supply chain issues in the world right now I'm a bit concerned. I realize anything can happen; just curious if delays happen often from dry dock returns.

Thank you in advance for any reassurance you can give me! 🙂 

I'm on the first sailing of grandeur may 4th out of texas and I'm expecting both staff and food shortages. Was on liberty last week and it only made me worry more that there will be issues.

I'm booked. Even if your ship is ready and they arent working on it as you sail out of port which has happened in the past, might be other things. Go with a open mind. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, island lady said:

EX is already bad (just off B2B last week).   If you are going just after dry dock, it can only be an improvement.  

I absolutely agree with this...it couldn't get any worse than it was for us also.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

They aren't doing AMPing type drydock work so the odds of delays are lower, short of them finding some much bigger problem while taking care of the routine stuff.

Interesting...my understanding from recent onboard staff was that there was going to be some type of Amping in 2023 since it missed out on the last schedule. But perhaps you have more info on this.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

They aren't doing AMPing type drydock work so the odds of delays are lower, short of them finding some much bigger problem while taking care of the routine stuff.

Agree, Reg Marine Side Dry Dock Maint shouldn't be an issue, if only 8 days should be all being done. Completed 5-6 Cruises before or After Dry Dock with more issues week before as they started some Ship Maint, and that wasnt bad anyway. Cruises Post DD at most they continue on with some Painting Trim, Staining Railings, this while Passengers ashore at Stops. Done 2 these last 5-6yrs on Serenade and Brilliance with really no inconvenience at all...

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions. I'll keep looking at all my options for the week to celebrate my son's 40th and my 60th birthday. We live many states apart so a trip pulling us all together to celebrate is warranted! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I thought I was on the 1st sailing on Explorer, 4th March 2023, we are doing a b2b and coming from Scotland. 

I see now on the UK and US website that this date is no longer showing.

I'm a bit worried now, as nobody has contacted me to say the sailing on 4th March has been cancelled. 

I've messaged Royal, waiting for a reply.