How safe is it- Walking to & from Intercontinental Miami to Bayside marketplace?

Florida Glamazon

12 hours ago, Florida Glamazon said:

Hi, we are hoping that it's safe for two semi-geezers (from a small town) to walk to and from the Intercontinental hotel to dining & shopping in the Bayside Market place area? 

Ideally we were hoping for an early dinner then a bit of lolling at the pool. 

My DH and I have walked to Bayside in the evening and after dark many times.  From Intercontinental, the YVE and the Holiday Inn.  We have always felt safe.  It gets a little bit crazy at night but from the sound of it you plan on being back at the hotel before the craziness would begin.  We are in our 60's so old geezers fits us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TSUmom said:

My DH and I have walked to Bayside in the evening and after dark many times.  From Intercontinental, the YVE and the Holiday Inn.  We have always felt safe.  It gets a little bit crazy at night but from the sound of it you plan on being back at the hotel before the craziness would begin.  We are in our 60's so old geezers fits us.

What is 'crazy' ?

We will be staying in Brickell at Hampton Inn. Is it not safe to either walk or take Metro Mover from 

Brickell to Bayside Marketplace, Frost Science Museum and the Brickell City Centre ?

I don't see us out much later than 9 or 10 p.m. 

Just now, Colorado Buffalo said:

What is 'crazy' ?

We will be staying in Brickell at Hampton Inn. Is it not safe to either walk or take Metro Mover from 

Brickell to Bayside Marketplace, Frost Science Museum and the Brickell City Centre ?

I don't see us out much later than 9 or 10 p.m. 

Just a lot of young people enjoying the bars.  Not scary crazy - just loud fun.

• Like 1

Walk from IC to Bayside is perfectly safe. The Metromover is also right there and it's just 2 stops from Bayfront Park Station to College/Bayside Station. And it's free. But it's just much easier to walk it.

Walking from the Hampton Inn-Brickell is a bit farther. I would take the free Metromover trains. You just need to make sure you're picking a line that's going in the direction you're intending to travel.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think Hampton Inn Brickell is a little over a mile from the marketplace by the port.  Looking at Google maps the metro Mover seems like the way to get around if you don't want to walk a mile.  The link below is google directions from Hamton Inn Brickell to Bayside Marketplace

https://www.google.com/search?q=directions+from+hampton+inn+brickell+miami+to+bayside+marketplace+miami&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS982US982&oq=directions+from+hampton+inn+brickell+miami+to+bayside+marketplace+miami&aqs=chrome..69i57.41476j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Edited by AF-1

Easy walk from Intercontinental on a tree lined pathway, past the fountain to Bayside.  I used to go there everyday at lunchtime.  I worked in the brown 'Vitas' building across from the Intercontinental and it's an easy walk.  Lots of tourists around this time of year. Wouldn't worry about safety around Bayside since that's Miami's tourist mecca.  Just beware of the homeless beggers, just like in any city.

3 hours ago, Diver2014 said:

Easy walk from Intercontinental on a tree lined pathway, past the fountain to Bayside.  I used to go there everyday at lunchtime.  I worked in the brown 'Vitas' building across from the Intercontinental and it's an easy walk.  Lots of tourists around this time of year. Wouldn't worry about safety around Bayside since that's Miami's tourist mecca.  Just beware of the homeless beggers, just like in any city.

good info, thanks for sharing with us

• 4 weeks later...

We walked from the JW Marriott Marquis all around, we went to a CVS, past the intercontinental, and over to bayside to  walk around and get dinner. It was after dark when we headed back to our hotel. I never once felt uneasy. You just need to be aware of surroundings, just as you would be in any large city. 

On 5/22/2022 at 12:17 PM, kelkel2 said:

We walked from the JW Marriott Marquis all around, we went to a CVS, past the intercontinental, and over to bayside to  walk around and get dinner. It was after dark when we headed back to our hotel. I never once felt uneasy. You just need to be aware of surroundings, just as you would be in any large city. 

Thanks for your feedback.  I am looking at booking either the Hampton Inn on Brickell or the Couryard Marriott; I will research to see which one has the most places to eat nearby.  I will be there two days prior to my cruise

Miami offers a number of free bus-like trams which link various MetroRail or MetroMover stations with neighborhoods like Little Havana, Wynnwood Walls, Little Haiti, etc.  They are very convenient for getting around.  Individual maps for the various routes are found here

https://www.miamigov.com/Transportation-Roadways/Trolley-Information/Get-Trolley-Information-Schedules-and-Maps

16 hours ago, Cienfuegos said:

Miami offers a number of free bus-like trams which link various MetroRail or MetroMover stations with neighborhoods like Little Havana, Wynnwood Walls, Little Haiti, etc.  They are very convenient for getting around.  Individual maps for the various routes are found here

https://www.miamigov.com/Transportation-Roadways/Trolley-Information/Get-Trolley-Information-Schedules-and-Maps

Thanks for posting the maps and schedules.  This will come in handy

We just got back from 2 nights precruise and 1 1 post cruise in Brickell.  Did use the metro mover a couple of times. the trolley once (to Little Havana).  Both of these are free but locating the trolley was a bit confusing.  Booked the city bus but did not use; did not realize the “clock” starts once purchased online.  The Miami transit system is great but you need to know beforehand where stops are located and whether it’s worth using over Uber.  For example, had to walk 10 blocks to the Little Havana trolley and it had maybe 15 stops to get to Little Havana.  An Uber would have taken 1/4 the time and costs maybe $10 from Brickell.  

Versailles restaurant is great for cheap Cuban food and ideal to order several small dishes to see what you prefer.  Almost always a wait outside for seating but worth it.