Unmasking… new protocols 4/22

22 hours ago, erinsmom03 said:

Updated Mask Policy for Royal Caribbean Sailings

As you know, our protocols are fluid and subject to change. We proactively review all of our requirements to meet the guidance of various government and health authorities to ensure the health and safety of our guests and crew.

Due to recent changes in mask guidance, we’ve updated our mask policy, effective immediately, for all of our sailings where we've announced protocols, excluding Singapore departures.

Updated Mask Policy

Masks are optional for vaccinated guests and recommended for unvaccinated children while onboard. In our terminals, masks are optional unless required by local regulation. Some destinations we visit may require masks. Guests under 2 years old don’t need to wear a mask. These protocols are subject to change.

Thank you for your continued understanding as we work diligently to provide you with the very best cruise experience. We look forward to seeing you onboard soon! 

This was pretty much how it was on our Wonder cruise last month. Optional. 

9 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

is stuff 'fully open' on the ships now? meaning aqua show seating shoulder to shoulder etc?

There was no social distancing requirements on our Wonder of the Seas cruise last month. Shoulder to Shoulder in the theater (closed space) and Aqua theater and Studio B (closed space). 

23 hours ago, topnole said:

Not exactly.  Seems masks are optional for unvaccinated kids now too.  Before they were required as far as I know.  

On our March sailings kids of any age did not have to wear a mask other their adventure club.   

I don't see any mention of masks needed for that area so that is good for the kiddies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

There was no social distancing requirements on our Wonder of the Seas cruise last month. Shoulder to Shoulder in the theater (closed space) and Aqua theater and Studio B (closed space). 

Was like that on our March b2b on Anthem.   Felt just like a precovid cruise.

And everyone kept saying reservations were needed for shows but we never made any and got a seat at every show we went to and only one show had a person at door asking for seapass.   

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

On our March sailings kids of any age did not have to wear a mask other their adventure club.   

I don't see any mention of masks needed for that area so that is good for the kiddies.

On B4B and was still Required in Kids Club through this week ending the 24th, Grand Daughter had to wear it. Will peak in there tomorrow...

I cruised at the end of March, and I just pulled up the protocols from that cruise. So, for everyone saying all masks haven't been required since February, sorry, you are wrong. Perhaps the rule wasn't being followed, or enforced, on your recent cruises, but they we expected to be worn by unvaccinated children. Also required in Adventure Ocean, terminals, and various destinations. This is in an email I received on March 15. The email I shared about no masks being optional for everyone, unvaccinated children included, is the first that I had seen stating. 

I just love all the arguing on CC... always a good laugh when I get on here!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Yes, masks were expected but not required for unvaxxed children for our March sailings but I saw hardly any children or adults wearing them.   

We actually saw most children and some adults wearing them on our cruise. I just figured I'd share the new protocols for the parents who have been waiting to see the change.

• Like 2

On 4/23/2022 at 6:10 AM, not-enough-cruising said:

cases haven't gone up since they eliminated masks onboard in February

I dont think the lines are reporting all the cases anymore.  Our April transatlantic had mostly unmasked activities and sure enough, when testing pre arrival to europe I see hazmat gear in hallways and unofficially cabin steward mentions 3-4 cabins in lockdown that he knew of. 

At the evening show we were about the only people in masks.  Upon exiting at the end of the performance we noticed several senior staff with printouts of face shots of people in hand seeming to be seriously looking for them (hmm). Positive testers ignoring messages and out for a last evening of possible spead before being 'captured.'  Only about half the ship had tested at this point, maybe 200 people. We had only one port in 10 days, so clearly 48hr pre cruise testing allows for a decent chance cases come aboard and share.

We never heard a peep from the line.  Doubt cases will be reported, certainly I cant find them.  Also another bug was going around and in our multi day small group activity class (we saw a symptomatic person choose to be among the maskless when the teacher said he had permission for us to 'optionally' wear masks).   We were a bit horrified as she coughed, sneezed and blew he nose into a tissue, and was first to remove her mask.  Made me sad people are so careless.  A nice friend in the class ditched her mask and caught the bug the symptomatic person was 'sharing.'  My masked wife and I were fine.  Coincidence?

That said, we loved the cruise and are ok with limited testing and optional masks.  Just wish cruisers were not so selfish and would self impose masking when symptoms of sickness occur as a permanent thing.

Edited by Pizzasteve
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, erinsmom03 said:

I cruised at the end of March, and I just pulled up the protocols from that cruise. So, for everyone saying all masks haven't been required since February, sorry, you are wrong. Perhaps the rule wasn't being followed, or enforced, on your recent cruises, but they we expected to be worn by unvaccinated children. Also required in Adventure Ocean, terminals, and various destinations. This is in an email I received on March 15. The email I shared about no masks being optional for everyone, unvaccinated children included, is the first that I had seen stating. 

I just love all the arguing on CC... always a good laugh when I get on here!

Agree. Royal Masking Requirement not inc AO and Terminal is only Change I've seen, that was this week not listed on my Royal Healthy Sailing Protocol from last week, 2 wks or last month's which stayed mostly the same...

• Like 1

On 4/23/2022 at 5:33 AM, shutterbug63 said:

I'm with you.  I will also not be shocked if cases go up on ships given the much looser mask requirement on board and the lack of a mask requirement in the terminals (and other public transportation).

I still wear a mask on board ships.  I've been on 3 ships in the last 2.5 months, and just got off a b2b on the Jewel last Saturday.  I just kept my usual routine of wearing a mask when walking around the ship, and took it off when eating or drinking.  I also continued to wear my mask flying home last Saturday (three airports during the trip, and 2 flights).  Since my cruises have all been b2b, I've had 9 COVID tests since the middle of February, including tests on board the ships.  My latest was yesterday after getting home on Saturday, just in case I had to cancel my first cruise this Wednesday on the Navi.  All have been negative. Today I do my pre-cruise COVID test with BinaxNOW, and I expect it to be negative also.

• Like 10

Expected is not optional. It's why they now say optional. 

Expected means you should be doing so and if not should likely have a very specific reason for not doing so but they will not likely ask. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, J0Y0US said:

Expected is not optional. It's why they now say optional. 

Expected means you should be doing so and if not should likely have a very specific reason for not doing so but they will not likely ask. 

Shouldn't that read Required. Expected and Required are 2 different words entirely .And kids who don't should be kicked off the ship.

Masking is a probability issue.  Sure, eating without masks risks exposure.

But suppose you eat/drink for 3 hours of your cruise day, and spend some time outdoors.

On sea days maybe that leaves 6 hours indoors for shopping, trivia, shows, elevators, walking around, etc.  Some of these hours are in crowded rooms for long periods. So wearing an N95 mask properly indoors might cut your risk substantially.

Masking rules are looser now. If someone is so ideologically opposed to masks that they call them 'talismans of the Covidians', they are free to indulge that.

But if you're open to reducing risk, the @pcur strategy may make sense for you.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Shorewalk Holmes said:

Masking is a probability issue.  Sure, eating without masks risks exposure.

But suppose you eat/drink for 3 hours of your cruise day, and spend some time outdoors.

On sea days maybe that leaves 6 hours indoors for shopping, trivia, shows, elevators, walking around, etc.  Some of these hours are in crowded rooms for long periods. So wearing an N95 mask properly indoors might cut your risk substantially.

Masking rules are looser now. If someone is so ideologically opposed to masks that they call them 'talismans of the Covidians', they are free to indulge that.

But if you're open to reducing risk, the @pcur strategy may make sense for you.

Thanks!  The voice of reason.  And, rational thought.  And, courtesy.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I got COVID from a masked person.  We were socially-distanced, and according to CDC guidelines, were never in "close contact".  Maybe had I also been wearing a mask, I would not have contracted it, but obviously her wearing a mask did not help me.  

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, rudeney said:

obviously her wearing a mask did not help me.  

First, I hope you didn't have Covid too hard, and had no long term effects.  

You can't be sure her mask didn't help you.  Had she not been masked, you might have received a much larger initial loading dose of the virus, which, depending on your vax status, might have resulted in a more severe case.

Edited by Shorewalk Holmes
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Shorewalk Holmes said:

First, I hope you didn't have Covid too hard, and had no long term effects.  

You can't be sure her mask didn't help you.  Had she not been masked, you might have received a much larger initial loading dose of the virus, which, depending on your vax status, might have resulted in a more severe case.

This was November 2020, so pre-vax.  I had a cold for a week, no fever, and then I lost my sense of taste and smell for a few days.  I do have a permanent  loss of "certain" smells.  It's no big deal as I've always had some sinus issues.  

1 hour ago, pcur said:

Sigh....when you are sitting at a table, there is a certain distance between you and other tables.  So, even while drinking and eating there's a modicum of social distancing. 

You would think.  However on my Oct. Oasis cruise, MTD tables where literally 6 inches apart in some sections.  😞  Anthem in Dec. was better, but Enchantment in late March was also very close (tables for 2 were basically one long table for 10).

5 minutes ago, rudeney said:

This was November 2020, so pre-vax.  I had a cold for a week, no fever, and then I lost my sense of taste and smell for a few days.  I do have a permanent  loss of "certain" smells.  It's no big deal as I've always had some sinus issues.  

Sorry you got it, but glad to hear it wasn't worse!

Thanks!  Because it was "just a cold" and I had no fever, I didn't get tested.  The only symptom that almost sent me for testing was a severe headache, but I have a neurological issue that causes headaches (and phantosmia) , so I didn't worry much about it until the next week when I lost all sense of smell.  And everything I ate tasted like pure salt.  I was actually glad I had it and done so i didn't have to worry anymore.  Oddly, my wife did not get it - or she did and had no symptoms.  I still have the antibodies and am vaxxed and boosted so I don't worry about COVID.

35 minutes ago, rudeney said:

I still have the antibodies and am vaxxed and boosted so I don't worry about COVID.

Good! 

My wife and I are old, so maybe we should worry about it a bit more, but not enough to stop cruising 😀

We've been lucky and haven't caught it yet. We've been wearing KN-95's since we first found them on the US market in late spring 2020, so perhaps that helped. 

Edited by Shorewalk Holmes
  • Like 1