New dining protocols

margsbolton

I am travelling alone for the first time on Arcadia in August 2022 and I have just received a notification advising me that the new dining protocols mean no sharing of dining tables with other guests unless specifically requested. I don’t mind having breakfast alone but it would be nice to share a table at Dinner. Does anyone have experience of this ???

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, margsbolton said:

I am travelling alone for the first time on Arcadia in August 2022 and I have just received a notification advising me that the new dining protocols mean no sharing of dining tables with other guests unless specifically requested. I don’t mind having breakfast alone but it would be nice to share a table at Dinner. Does anyone have experience of this ???

What dining did you opt for when you booked? We are on in july and have not had an email, but booked table for 2.

1 hour ago, margsbolton said:

I have just received a notification advising me that the new dining protocols mean no sharing of dining tables with other guests unless specifically requested.

I wasn't aware of any changes to dining protocols.

My next cruise is on Britannia in June 2022 and I selected Club Dining. My booking receipt shows '6 - Requested, not confirmed'.  There is no dining information on 'My P&O Cruises' and I have heard nothing from P&O to indicate that this has changed.

Have i missed something?

4 minutes ago, Pine Man said:

I wasn't aware of any changes to dining protocols.

My next cruise is on Britannia in June 2022 and I selected Club Dining. My booking receipt shows '6 - Requested, not confirmed'.  There is no dining information on 'My P&O Cruises' and I have heard nothing from P&O to indicate that this has changed.

Have i missed something?

Well we haven't heard any thing either we are on Arcadia in july!!

This concerns solo cruisers, travelling on your own. Before covid if you opted for club dining. The default option was sharing a table with other solo cruisers unless you did not want to. I opted for a shared table. Since Covid the default has been changed to eat on your own and you have to opt for a shared table. My next cruise is Iona with only Freedom dining and I probably won't use the mdr at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

This concerns solo cruisers, travelling on your own. Before covid if you opted for club dining. The default option was sharing a table with other solo cruisers unless you did not want to. I opted for a shared table. Since Covid the default has been changed to eat on your own and you have to opt for a shared table. My next cruise is Iona with only Freedom dining and I probably won't use the mdr at all.

That’s a shame, Dave. We’ve always opted for Freedom Dining and very much enjoyed the company of the many people travelling on their own. It’s always worked out well, and the variety of diners at every meal has been really enjoyable and really interesting.

Is it simply not allowed now then to have mixed tables? I very much enjoy my wife’s company, but we eat together most of the time, and eating with other people on cruises is part of the fun.

• Like 2

Thankyou to Davecttr  for explaining the situation properly. I am not sure that I want to spend the whole cruise on my own !!! I may have to consider cancelling before final payment is due !!!

Edited by margsbolton
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, margsbolton said:

Thankyou to Davecttr  for explaining the situation properly. I am not sure that I want to spend the whole cruise on my own !!! I may have to consider cancelling before final payment is due !!!

I can absolutely understand that, but I do hope there’s a way you can join other people on shared tables.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

That’s a shame, Dave. We’ve always opted for Freedom Dining and very much enjoyed the company of the many people travelling on their own. It’s always worked out well, and the variety of diners at every meal has been really enjoyable and really interesting.

Is it simply not allowed now then to have mixed tables? I very much enjoy my wife’s company, but we eat together most of the time, and eating with other people on cruises is part of the fun.

It is allowed, but with omicron being so much more infectious, and with the consequences of quarantine, it is perhaps not worth risking sharing a dining table.

41 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I very much enjoy dining with my wife and have convinced her to share a table for 2 with me.🤣

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

29 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

It is allowed, but with omicron being so much more infectious, and with the consequences of quarantine, it is perhaps not worth risking sharing a dining table.

I am surprised that many people want to share a table with strangers while covid is hanging around and as you say the variants are becoming more infectious albeit less severe. 

We not chosen a shared table for years,  even before anytime dining we would request a table for 2 when we booked. I can however understand singles wanting to share in order to have someone to chat with. 

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

The tables for two are so close together, I don't think it makes any difference if you share a table or not.

• Like 2

Re earlier posts, don't be concerned if your booking shows Table for 2 "requested - not confirmed" - this is automatic and standard wording.

P&O need to tell you they have heard your request and if you booked fairly soon after the cruise went on sale you will get your table for two, even before COVID, but they don't promise it to you ahead of the cruise because it limits their flexibility in case circumstances change. Having said that, we have always had our requested "not confrmed" table for two without any bother.

Edited by bbtablet
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I am surprised that many people want to share a table with strangers while covid is hanging around and as you say the variants are becoming more infectious albeit less severe. 

We not chosen a shared table for years,  even before anytime dining we would request a table for 2 when we booked. I can however understand singles wanting to share in order to have someone to chat with. 

Folk seem to have a different mindset. In Lanzarote we found folk naturally waited for the next lift if it arrived occupied. We would be fairly happy to share a table, but normally prefer a table for 2.

4 hours ago, margsbolton said:

You soon get used to dining alone; I've been cruising and land travelling alone for years and I like it, as well as it being less risky at present. I started asking for a table alone at breakfast as I have an extreme allergy to baked beans, which shouldn't IMO be served at breakfast, but..I would see the Head Waiter and explain that I would have to leave if someone ordered beans on my shared table, so was always seated alone. It was a short step from there to being alone at dinner or lunch. Now I prefer it. And of course if you eat in the speciality restaurants as I always do on several occasions on a cruise, you are seated alone.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, margsbolton said:

When we went into the main dining room on Iona in March we were asked if we wanted to share a table but we said no because we wanted a table for 2.

On Britannia last week there was no mask wearing except in the theatre.

Restrictions seem to be getting less so for August to be told you can't share a table seems extremely unusual.

• Like 1