Live from Alaska on Ms Zuiderdam - April 2022

Crew News

Getting on the Zuiderdam on May 4 for a couple of weeks. I have never been to Alaska and am curious about the temperature on the inside of the ship. I have cruised for 3 decades and just never could cruise in the right season. I know a lot of the older passengers find the ships chilly. My mom (90) always wears a jacket or sweater especially in the dining room. I’m always in shorts or dress. I understand the deck will be cold but how is the interior.  Really enjoying your report Thanks 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, QHsailor said:

Getting on the Zuiderdam on May 4 for a couple of weeks. I have never been to Alaska and am curious about the temperature on the inside of the ship. I have cruised for 3 decades and just never could cruise in the right season. I know a lot of the older passengers find the ships chilly. My mom (90) always wears a jacket or sweater especially in the dining room. I’m always in shorts or dress. I understand the deck will be cold but how is the interior.  Really enjoying your report Thanks 

IMHO the interior is comfortable in a short-sleeved shirt unless you get near the opening doors to the outside that may have a brief drop in temp.  The Dining Room does seem to  be a few degrees cooler probably because it has so many windows.  The indoor pool area is warm enough for swimming.

Plan on wearing layers of clothing that you can remove when the temps get warmer.  That means an excursion backpack where you can store the removed items.

The crew is amazing.  Some will ask your name and then greet you every time they see you around the ship.  When I go through the LIdo Market Buffet line, I hear a chorus of, "Hi, Mr Roger.  How is your day?"  The crew is so happy to be back to work and the passengers feel their enthusiasm in every venue.

• Like 6

Tidbits for today:

A lot of sunshine to day in Juneau and the residents were extremely happy.  With only one ship in port, the city was not bustling.  I saw no food  trucks that normally park down near the piers.   A number of stores were closed and my favorite popcorn shop has been replaced by an oriental market.

With the loss of two hours of port time, I had only one hour to get to the Glacier Smoothie Soap Shop to place an order.  The 3/4-mile walk to the store found it had move about 50 yards since 2019 and had a large closed sign on the door.  The quick-paced return walk gave my just a few minutes to grab camera, lenses, add long underwear, and place a big furry hat on my head before heading out for whale watching.  I saw five whales but did not capture any great photos.

For the second time since I boarded the Zuiderdam, the Assistant Hotel General Manager greeted all returning guests and assured us that the Lido Market would reopen at 9:30 PM to feed all those returning from late excursions.  This time he wore a borrowed "Restaurant Manager" jacket instead of shivering.  His attendance impressed many of us who knew the significance of a senior officer being so passenger friendly.

Tomorrow is the deadline to sign a statement that I have completed my ArriveCAN submission.

Ans so it was April 29, 2022.

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Crew News said:

The Home Page link has been corrected so When and Wheres can be found.

Roger, I appreciate your informative updates from the Zuiderdam as well as your web site.  I will be on this itinerary in mid-June and enjoy getting a sneak peek.

Did you happen to notice if Glacier Gardens excursion was being offered.  It doesn't appear on my available excursion list.  Looking for something different to do in Juneau.

• Like 1

I just yesterday booked an independent whale watching excursion for Juneau at 2:30 (whales then glacier).  Do hope we aren't delayed in arriving.  I'm on a B2B and plan on just wandering around Juneau on our first stop.  I have friends joining me for the 2nd leg and that's when we plan on the whale watching tour.  I'll be very disappointed if we're on time on the first leg (when I have no plans) and then get delayed on the 2nd and miss our excursion.  

I'm definitely not used to being in ports this late (except in Bermuda for overnights).  Sad to miss my MDR meal, but I'm pretty sure I won't go hungry. 😄

• Like 1

Re temp on the ship, we were on the Zuid. until 4/22 and we've been to Alaska quite a few times.  The temp on the ship is as mentioned above.  For Alaska, layering--I wear a short-sleeved, lighter-weight, cotton knit top, then a lighter-weight, zip-up, long-sleeve fleece as a second layer, then for off the ship a waterproof jacket, neck scarf, possibly cotton gloves.  This way, I can layer.  The fleece (lightweight, not a heavy one) keeps things toasty for sure, but you can take it off and tie it around your waist if it's too warm in certain areas.  I always take a light-weight 3/4-length sleeve sweater into the MDR; sometimes I need it, sometimes not.  If I wear a longer-sleeved blouse, then I usually don't need it.

Edited by 12cruise2
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I found the some officers to be present on the koningsdam  at the gangway in ports. I feel it’s a nice touch.

Agree.  Officers did the same on the Z's 10 day Mexican Riviera/Sea of Cortez cruise (April 3). 

• Like 3

I was messing around with the navigator app and I saw the order feature.  That would be better than paying the room service fee and probably faster. 

I also discovered one of the places has pretzels.  Sounds interesting.  

Thank you for the heads up on using the beverage card for sodas.  

Every day I get more pumped for this cruise.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, steve4031 said:

I was messing around with the navigator app and I saw the order feature.  That would be better than paying the room service fee and probably faster. 

I also discovered one of the places has pretzels.  Sounds interesting.  

Thank you for the heads up on using the beverage card for sodas.  

Every day I get more pumped for this cruise.  

Thank you very much for another informative thread.  I appreciate it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, quack2 said:

Roger, I appreciate your informative updates from the Zuiderdam as well as your web site.  I will be on this itinerary in mid-June and enjoy getting a sneak peek.

Did you happen to notice if Glacier Gardens excursion was being offered.  It doesn't appear on my available excursion list.  Looking for something different to do in Juneau.

It was not available for me as I recall.  I can highly recommend Taku Lodge for great food and amazing sightseeing flight over the glacier ice field.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Crew News said:

I can highly recommend Taku Lodge for great food and amazing sightseeing flight over the glacier ice field.

One of our very best shore excursions worldwide. Amazing views, awesome food and a very hungry black bear visit to the Salmon Grill after our lunch! 

• Like 1

I have been gone a few days and just read the menu for the first GALA night. It can't be true that there is no Escargot Bourguignon (sp?)! That was always one of the appetizers I enjoyed on the first gala night and was planning to have again after a long time of no cruising. I am disappointed, but I guess many people do not care for it, so perhaps it's been discontinued.😢

Edited by PSR
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Crew News said:

Tomorrow is the deadline to sign a statement that I have completed my ArriveCAN submission.

Ans so it was April 29, 2022.

Which port was this for? Victoria? I am a little confused about the ArriveCAN submission. I know you have to submit one to enter Canada to board a cruise ship in Vancouver, and also another to "reenter" Canada at a second port, but I also am not sure about your itinerary.

Thanks for any into.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PSR said:

Which port was this for? Victoria? I am a little confused about the ArriveCAN submission. I know you have to submit one to enter Canada to board a cruise ship in Vancouver, and also another to "reenter" Canada at a second port, but I also am not sure about your itinerary.

Thanks for any into.

It is to reenter Canada.  Much more on this subject in this evenings' tidbits.  I needed an arriveCAN check mark to arrive in Vancouver to depart Vancouver.  I didn't need a COVID test to enter Canada but needed one to leave Canada.  That COVID to leave could be no older than two days before departure although HAL accepts three days before departure.  A current "yes" or "no" flowchart would a perfect solution.

Itinerary is Vancouver, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, Ketchikan, and disembarking in Vancouver.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, PSR said:

I have been gone a few days and just read the menu for the first GALA night. It can't be true that there is no Escargot Bourguignon (sp?)! That was always one of the appetizers I enjoyed on the first gala night and was planning to have again after a long time of no cruising. I am disappointed, but I guess many people do not care for it, so perhaps it's been discontinued.😢

Indeed "the times they are achangin...."  Escargot would be a perfect optional item with a surcharge for the daily menus.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, PSR said:

I suspect it not because people don’t like it, is suspect it a cost thing.  You can have my share if it reappears 😛😉.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Question about ArriveCan submission. I understand I have to do this before I fly to Canada. If I’m on a b2b I think I have to do it when the ship returns to Vancouver the 1st and 2nd times. Is this right?  If I don’t buy an internet plan would I get off the ship at the last port before Vancouver and use WiFi ?  Have smartphone     Thanks for temp info.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, QHsailor said:

Question about ArriveCan submission. I understand I have to do this before I fly to Canada. If I’m on a b2b I think I have to do it when the ship returns to Vancouver the 1st and 2nd times. Is this right?  If I don’t buy an internet plan would I get off the ship at the last port before Vancouver and use WiFi ?  Have smartphone     Thanks for temp info.

Every time you leave Canada and return, a new ArriveCAN is needed.  You only need to upload your passport and vaccination info once when you create your account.  With testing requirements dropped, you only need to report arrival info and if by marine, you will provide ship and cabin number.  Your phone will get a QR in just a few minutes and you will also receive an email.  When we disembarked in Vancouver after the San Diego to Vancouver leg, nobody asked to see my ArriveCAN QR code.

Setup your ArriveCAN account and upload your documents with your smartphone before you leave home.  It can only be used on one device, so don't worry about a laptop or needing Wifi. During each leg of your cruise, use your smartphone to add new arrival information as soon as the ArriveCAN arrival window becomes available.   .The ship will remind you and send you a document to sign that affirms you have setup your ArriveCANarrival info.

The Verifly app, on the other hand, is where you report your COVID test results and vaccination information to speed HAL check-in and having to show paperwork.  FWIW we were not tested between B2B cruises this month. 

We are still waiting on COVID testing info for returning to the USA from Canada.  This is all new to the Canadian workers as well so give individual Canadians a break.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Crew News said:

Every time you leave Canada and return, a new ArriveCAN is needed.  You only need to upload your passport and vaccination info once when you create your account.  With testing requirements dropped, you only need to report arrival info and if by marine, you will provide ship and cabin number.  Your phone will get a QR in just a few minutes and you will also receive an email.  When we disembarked in Vancouver after the San Diego to Vancouver leg, nobody asked to see my ArriveCAN QR code.

Setup your ArriveCAN account and upload your documents with your smartphone before you leave home.  It can only be used on one device, so don't worry about a laptop or needing Wifi. During each leg of your cruise, use your smartphone to add new arrival information as soon as the ArriveCAN arrival window becomes available.   .The ship will remind you and send you a document to sign that affirms you have setup your ArriveCANarrival info.

The Verifly app, on the other hand, is where you report your COVID test results and vaccination information to speed HAL check-in and having to show paperwork.  FWIW we were not tested between B2B cruises this month. 

We are still waiting on COVID testing info for returning to the USA from Canada.  This is all new to the Canadian workers as well so give individual Canadians a break.

Wow, that is sounding complicated! I don’t have an iPhone, but I have an iPad. Will that work? Or can Me and hubby have separate accounts on his iPhone?

I’m feeling a bit twitchy about travel again because of all the new Covid hoops. But I so want to get on a cruise ship!

• Like 2

Day for of the first HAL cruise to Alaska found bright sunshine

1 minute ago, Kristal Blade said:

Wow, that is sounding complicated! I don’t have an iPhone, but I have an iPad. Will that work? Or can Me and hubby have separate accounts on his iPhone?

I’m feeling a bit twitchy about travel again because of all the new Covid hoops. But I so want to get on a cruise ship!

One account can add other travelers as noted below:

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/arrivecan.html

From my reading, each person needs a separate account to upload their personal documents.  Multiple travelers can use a single arrival submission by just clicking on "Add Traveler" on their family arrival submission.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2022 at 7:53 PM, Florida_gal_50 said:

Maybe cruising is a lot different but I couldn’t board my plane from the USA to Canada without showing my receipt.  Not only do I have a passport but I also have a nexus card.  I believe I also had to show it once I got back to Canada.  This was last month.

Airline employees do not have access to the ArriveCAN details so they need to ask to see the receipt before allowing you to board.  Only CBSA officers can drill down to those details so they (CBSA) will only want to chat with you about it if it is incomplete.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1