What constitutes a good tip in the UK?

In the US we have some expected percentages in restaurants, coffee shops, etc.  Trying to see what that looks like over in the UK.  What's the "standard" tip?  What would be a "wow, this was way above and beyond what I expected and I want you to know it with this tip" tip?  Do we tip in local currency or US dollars?  Is there a standard tip for excursion guides?  Oh yes ... what about offending with a tip?  Any place Americans tip because that's what we do over here but in the UK it's a big no-no and offends people?  Thanks!

5 minutes ago, BuckeyeMark said:

What's the "standard" tip?

Zero.

Most restaurants add a service charge. If they do, you do not need to tip a penny more. If they don't, my recent experience is that adding a tip of about 10% usually triggers genuine pleasant surprise.

Taxis (proper taxis) used to expect a decent tip. These days, you will also trigger genuine pleasant surprise by tipping anything - even rounding up to the next pound. On a significant number of journeys, I've found that cabbies are insisting on negative tips, anyway: asking to paid less than what's on the meter.

A lot of the change in behaviour was already been driven by the introduction of contactless card payment. The pandemic has accelerated that, and very little cash is being used now. Many places won't even accept cash any more. So both pricing and consumer behaviour are also adapting to this, making us an increasingly tipless as well as cashless society.

7 minutes ago, BuckeyeMark said:

What would be a "wow, this was way above and beyond what I expected and I want you to know it with this tip" tip?

Don't forget that culture works both ways. If you try to impress someone by flashing large amounts of cash, they may respond politely and they will gladly take it off you. But that doesn't necessarily reflect what they are thinking inside. It won't necessarily be gratitude, or even respect.

7 minutes ago, BuckeyeMark said:

Do we tip in local currency or US dollars?

As above, mostly in plastic.

If you think your local restaurant staff would be happy to be tipped in Icelandic krona, then by all means tip UK restaurant staff in US dollars.

17 minutes ago, BuckeyeMark said:

Oh yes ... what about offending with a tip?  Any place Americans tip because that's what we do over here but in the UK it's a big no-no and offends people?

At the bar in a pub.

I wouldn't recommend it in a government office, either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, BuckeyeMark said:

In the US we have some expected percentages in restaurants, coffee shops, etc.  Trying to see what that looks like over in the UK.  What's the "standard" tip?  What would be a "wow, this was way above and beyond what I expected and I want you to know it with this tip" tip?  Do we tip in local currency or US dollars?  Is there a standard tip for excursion guides?  Oh yes ... what about offending with a tip?  Any place Americans tip because that's what we do over here but in the UK it's a big no-no and offends people?  Thanks!

The difference between the UK and US is the salary paid to the staff.  We were absolutely amazed to hear how little staff in restaurants/bars are paid in the US.

As previously said a ten per cent tip will be appreciated in a good standard of restaurant if service charge is not included, but not at all normal in fast food joints.  When tips are offered in cash they usually get put into a communal tip collection which is then periodically shared between all staff.  That is also what happens to tips added to CC payments, though some places share those with the managent as well as the serving staff, so we often ask waiting staff if it is best to add a tip.to a CC payment or to give it in cash.

It would not be unusual to leave a small amount of change after paying for drinks in a pub and there will.possibly be a tip jar behind the bar, but that is by no means expected. 

We usually do tip a taxi driver (about ten per cent), especially if we have a fair bit of luggage with us, which is the only time we use taxis, though again, not needed.  Not all taxis will take card payments in our area, not sure if it is common in London, though I suggest a driver asking for a lower payment than on a metre is hoping to be given something extra in cash, as he would then only be paying tax on the amount taken on the card, whilst the cash top would just be pocketed..

You may often see charity collection containers on bars, (perhaps for Ukraine at present), which may be a good place to pop any extra cash you have to hand.

The currency here is £'s, though banks will happily change other currencies, or you could draw out currency from ATM's, but you will need a chip and pin card over here.

Edited by tring
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good advice from Tring.

Good advice too from Globaliser.

Although Globaliser spends too much time in London 😉

A service charge is very common in central London, and in many places frequented by international tourists - but in few places where locals are the main trade. We eat out frequently, and I don't recall when I last ate in a place that had a service charge. Or a cover charge, or a charge for unwanted bread on the table, or with potato or veg (other than additional "specialities") charged as extras.

If there's a service charge it must by law be mentioned on the menu. The law also says a menu - plus mention of any service charge - must be displayed outside premises, though sometimes that doesn't happen.

When there's a service charge (usually 10% to 18%) I suggest you don't tip extra.

If there's no service charge, leave whatever you think is appropriate. Zilch is appropriate if the service is poor. Or if the meal is sub-standard or poor value (OK, not the server's fault but there are plenty of jobs for servers, and poor tips will encourage them to work for a better establishment).

Unless there's a service charge, for good service we too leave about 10%. Kinda difficult because leaving coins seems a bit cheap, so paper money for a regular meal for two means deciding £5 or £10.

And foreign money isn't a great idea, altho in tourist areas waiting staff can build enough to change it to £ from time to time.

But you can (almost?) always add it to the card charge . Sometimes for an exceptional meal in a small restaurant we'll "buy a drink" for the chef and have it added to our bill.

Yes, I've seen tip jars in pubs but always ignored them & like Tring I put change in a charity box on the counter. 

In a quiet pub or hotel bar, where its just you and the bartender getting your heads together to sort out the world's problems (can't leave it to just hairdressers & taxi-drivers)  it's normal to include the bartender in a round of drinks.

Tipping for taxi drivers is disappearing, not helped by Uber account charging.

But for a good private transfer driver in a good car, about 10%. Less if you can perfect an English accent.😉

Globaliser's best comment is " If you try to impress someone by flashing large amounts of cash, they may respond politely and they will gladly take it off you. But that doesn't necessarily reflect what they are thinking inside. It won't necessarily be gratitude, or even respect."

Agreed. It'll more-likely be "what a mug".

JB 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, BuckeyeMark said:

Do you know any restaurants in your home town that will accept tips in British pounds? Tipping in USD could also be a possibly offensive act, IMHO. 

• Like 4

Tipping in hotels?  I understand that it’s more frequently done in Europe than in North America.  Is a tip of about £2 a night a good tip?  Or, should more be offered? Should it be offered every day or just on the last day? I’ll be spending 3 nights in London and one night in Southampton and want to get it right!  Believe me, it won’t be in Canadian $$…🤣

Thank you for your advice.  😊

Tipping in hotels is not a thing in the UK, basically you tip maybe for service in restaurants, taxis and haircuts. Even these three things are not expected. Everything else nobody really tips for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/2/2022 at 4:16 PM, ladysail2 said:

I understand that it’s more frequently done in Europe

No, it is not.

Keep your money in your pocket.  It is neither required nor expected.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

No, it is not.

Keep your money in your pocket.  It is neither required nor expected.

100% agreed, definitely not a European thing.

Tipping an expected percentage of the bill is not a thing in the UK so tipping any amount would constitute a good tip. Tips do not offend ( it's not Japan ) but are neither demanded nor expected.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JimmyTheSaint said:

100% agreed, definitely not a European thing.

Tipping an expected percentage of the bill is not a thing in the UK so tipping any amount would constitute a good tip. Tips do not offend ( it's not Japan ) but are neither demanded nor expected.

Thank you all, defbref, VMax1700 and JimmyThe Saint for your information.  I don’t remember where I read that hotel tipping was a norm in Europe!  I certainly appreciate your insight. We in North America are very aware that tips are part of the event. 

• Like 2

On 5/3/2022 at 8:49 PM, ladysail2 said:

I don’t remember where I read that hotel tipping was a norm in Europe!

I think in some marketing material for certain tour operators, but generally not the ones that get the better recommendations, references to tipping have started to appear. Few bad apples... they have become acclimated to the practice of American visitors handing out tips, so why not include it in the promotional info?

If it's a small operation or just not well run or using deceptive pricing practices, or whatever the case, it's definitely NOT a cultural norm to tip in Europe, and many, many places in the world. Why wouldn't some incorporate it if people are willingly handing over extra money that they don't have to? Have to expect some will take advantage, and they do. 

This is why it's always good to ask questions about experience with certain companies or operators and, if it's the first time visiting somewhere, cultural norms and practices. There's a reason we need to bring our passports, we've left the country, we're in someone else's garden now. New rules, new ideas, new history, thoughts, experiences. Go with the flow 😉 (someone might even think you're a local 😎

• Like 2

On 4/30/2022 at 12:29 AM, John Bull said:

Good advice from Tring.

Good advice too from Globaliser.

Although Globaliser spends too much time in London 😉

A service charge is very common in central London, and in many places frequented by international tourists - but in few places where locals are the main trade. We eat out frequently, and I don't recall when I last ate in a place that had a service charge. Or a cover charge, or a charge for unwanted bread on the table, or with potato or veg (other than additional "specialities") charged as extras.

If there's a service charge it must by law be mentioned on the menu. The law also says a menu - plus mention of any service charge - must be displayed outside premises, though sometimes that doesn't happen.

When there's a service charge (usually 10% to 18%) I suggest you don't tip extra.

If there's no service charge, leave whatever you think is appropriate. Zilch is appropriate if the service is poor. Or if the meal is sub-standard or poor value (OK, not the server's fault but there are plenty of jobs for servers, and poor tips will encourage them to work for a better establishment).

Unless there's a service charge, for good service we too leave about 10%. Kinda difficult because leaving coins seems a bit cheap, so paper money for a regular meal for two means deciding £5 or £10.

And foreign money isn't a great idea, altho in tourist areas waiting staff can build enough to change it to £ from time to time.

But you can (almost?) always add it to the card charge . Sometimes for an exceptional meal in a small restaurant we'll "buy a drink" for the chef and have it added to our bill.

Yes, I've seen tip jars in pubs but always ignored them & like Tring I put change in a charity box on the counter. 

In a quiet pub or hotel bar, where its just you and the bartender getting your heads together to sort out the world's problems (can't leave it to just hairdressers & taxi-drivers)  it's normal to include the bartender in a round of drinks.

Tipping for taxi drivers is disappearing, not helped by Uber account charging.

But for a good private transfer driver in a good car, about 10%. Less if you can perfect an English accent.😉

Globaliser's best comment is " If you try to impress someone by flashing large amounts of cash, they may respond politely and they will gladly take it off you. But that doesn't necessarily reflect what they are thinking inside. It won't necessarily be gratitude, or even respect."

Agreed. It'll more-likely be "what a mug".

JB 🙂

Very good information, though I may have different views on a couple of small issues, one being that we do not consider coins as a bit cheap in favour of paper money tip.  We keep a supply of £ coins for tips (and often walk into a bank to get a supply of them - for room service on cruise ships as well as locally)  there are times when £5 is too much, but a few coins are fine.and as any regular local meals for us are in the £20-£30 range.  Likewise no probs giving a note and some coins, it is often done.

I suspect the comment about staff in tourist areas possibly being able to get foreign cash changed as they may have an amount of it, may be more to do with the fact John lives on the South Coast where they do have more continentals visiting, but in the north that is really not the case, even in tourist areas or the big cities, (though I could perhaps see that in London).  Small amounts of foreign cash is not worth changing because of the cost and even if they did have more they would still loose an exchange rate, though in a large hotel they may sort something if the tips are pooled.

Edited by tring

32 minutes ago, tring said:

I suspect the comment about staff in tourist areas possibly being able to get foreign cash changed as they may have an amount of it, may be more to do with the fact John lives on the South Coast where they do have more continentals visiting, but in the north that is really not the case, even in tourist areas or the big cities, (though I could perhaps see that in London). Small amounts of foreign cash is not worth changing because of the cost and even if they did have more they would still loose an exchange rate, though in a large hotel they may sort something if the tips are pooled.

This reminds me of the occasion (about which I've posted before) when I was in the back of a cab with a very prominent sign on the partition positive offering to take USD. So I had to ask the cabbie. He had a planned trip to Orlando with his children, and would be happy to build up a stash of USD. At a "suitably favourable" exchange rate, of course - it was quite eye-watering.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Globaliser said:

This reminds me of the occasion (about which I've posted before) when I was in the back of a cab with a very prominent sign on the partition positive offering to take USD. So I had to ask the cabbie. He had a planned trip to Orlando with his children, and would be happy to build up a stash of USD. At a "suitably favourable" exchange rate, of course - it was quite eye-watering.

Yes, could be an advantage at times, and a win win situation for both parties.  Would also mean he could get hold of some smaller notes as well, which banks are not keen to supply now like they used to do.  Customer service has been replaced by amounts of cash already dispensed in plastic bags in head office and delivered to branches. Probably dispensed by machine.

12 hours ago, Host Bonjour said:

it's definitely NOT a cultural norm to tip in Europe,

There really is no blanket answer to this question. In some countries, tipping is the norm in restaurants. In others it isnt.

The oddest place I visit is Belgium. In the French speaking parts, tipping generally follows the practice in France of tips not being required (except of the "keep the change variety), whereas the Dutch speaking parts follow practice in the Netherlands where tips (of around 10%) are common.

It's always worth checking out the practice of countries you're visiting - and check a couple of websites as sites established mainly for American tourists tend to over estimate the amount of tip (or, indeed, whether tipping is the norm).

On the subject of UK taxis, a family member used to drive a cab. When he first started, maybe 15 years back, tips were commonplace. But, it then gradually declined and a tip became a rarity on a shift, even a "keep the change" sort.

As for UK restaurant tipping, it is always worth remembering that it is never obligatory. Even for restaurants which add a service charge - if you don't want to tip just ask them to remove the charge from  the bill. A word of warning to American readers - disreputable restaurants will add a service charge but then have their card machine set to also ask if you want to tip - effectively conning the unwary into a double tip. Practice (and tip rate) varies across the country. In London, you'll find that virtually everywhere adds a service charge - it'll be 12.5% or 15%. Outside of London, the going rate for tips is generally 10% (sometimes higher in very upmarket places,  such as Michelin starred restaurants). You'll find service charges are fairly common in  cities - I reckon about 50% of the places I go to in the Manchester area have a charge. If there's no charge added to the bill, a 10% tip would be entirely satisfactory if you are someone who wants to tip (I am one such). Another point of interest for American visitors - unlike in the States, our sales tax (Value Added Tax) is already incorporated into the menu price. And, unlike in the States, the tip/service charge is on the full amount. Restaurants which have a service charge practice will tell you this and, slso, the rate - usually on the bottom of the menu

Edited by Harters
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

And remember, wherever tips are NOT expected - but you do receive good/great/exceptional service - tipping will do no harm at all... You may well make that persons day that the service they gave was appreciated (yes, even in places where a Service Charge has been added if you think you were well looked after)

• Like 1

To tip on top of a service charge would be the height of generosity. It would indeed make the server's day (and make them think that the customer hadnt actually spotted the service charge).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2022 at 3:20 PM, BuckeyeMark said:

Do we tip in local currency or US dollars?  

I suspect tipping in US Dollars would be appreciated in much the same way as me using £ Sterling in New York!

The advice already given is all good advice. Restaurants are the only venue where tipping happens regularly, but as others have said, a service charge is often included and there would be no expectation of an additional tip (although it is appreciated for exceptional service). There is no equivalent to the North American tipping culture in hotels.

Tipping is pubs and bars is very uncommon, certainly compared to the US and Canada, and again not expected. 

Tipping for taxis seems to have become less common with the increased use of cards rather than cash for payment and seems to have decreased in recent years.

The main difference is cultural - you are unlikely to offend anyone if you do tip, but you are also unlikely to offend anyone if you don't tip. 

Edited by Simon-t
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I'm tagging onto this discussion with a specific question: Is a tip expected by the luggage handlers at the cruise port?  Typically in the US we tip a few dollars for each bag to the luggage handler at the cruise port. We will be sailing out of Southhampton.  Thank you all for the responses above as they are helpful in planning!

41 minutes ago, loveapug said:

I'm tagging onto this discussion with a specific question: Is a tip expected by the luggage handlers at the cruise port?  Typically in the US we tip a few dollars for each bag to the luggage handler at the cruise port. We will be sailing out of Southhampton.  Thank you all for the responses above as they are helpful in planning!

In the UK no requirement to tip luggage handlers

• Thanks 1

And the last time we cruised from Southampton,  there were no baggage handlers at all. You had to take your own bags to "hole in the wall".

But that was three months ago - things may have altered subsequently. 

I started this thread so maybe I can add to it now that I've been over to the UK.  I was more than a little surprised at the places/people where there was no tip jar, and no one put their hand out expecting one. The folks here who said "nope, it's not much of a thing" were (not surprisingly) spot on. Tipping is nothing like what it is in the US.  Nothing!
That said we tipped all our excursion guides and they seemed to appreciate it.

• Thanks 2