Saga of Eclipse Barnacles continues

Peteymil

Our 5/22 Eclipse Sailing is cancelled as of 6 PM EDT last night, 5/5. At first I thought it might be a bogus email, sent to “Dear Guest.” Husband called Celebrity this morning and they confirmed. We had $1000 in hotels booked that we could cancel without penalty, but our almost $2000 in airfare on Air Canada can’t be cancelled. We do get full credit on future flights but not many good flight options from Orlando. I’m done with Celebrity.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, mkayreagan said:

Our 5/22 Eclipse Sailing is cancelled as of 6 PM EDT last night, 5/5. At first I thought it might be a bogus email, sent to “Dear Guest.” Husband called Celebrity this morning and they confirmed. We had $1000 in hotels booked that we could cancel without penalty, but our almost $2000 in airfare on Air Canada can’t be cancelled. We do get full credit on future flights but not many good flight options from Orlando. I’m done with Celebrity.

I'm very sorry this happened to you (and to everyone else on your sailing).   This may not get you anywhere, but I would write a polite letter to Celebrity and ask to be reimbursed for the money you have lost because of the cancelled flights.   (Don't take the approach that you will never sail with them again.)  You can email the Executive Office here:

lLutoff-Perlo  AT celebritycruises DOT com

Good luck!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

I'm very sorry this happened to you (and to everyone else on your sailing).   This may not get you anywhere, but I would write a polite letter to Celebrity and ask to be reimbursed for the money you have lost because of the cancelled flights.   (Don't take the approach that you will never sail with them again.)  You can email the Executive Office here:

Good luck!

No money has been lost...

I'm not saying it's a great situation, or that Celebrity shouldn't do more. But I wouldn't expect Celebrity to reimburse $2k in flights that the airline will apply in a credit to use in the future.

I'm not sure what Celebrity should do other than find a way to get you on an itinerary that you want to sail at minimal additional expense.

1 hour ago, mkayreagan said:

Did you have travel insurance for your cruise?  If so, it may cover your airfare expense, I know the insurance we buy would have covered us in this scenario. But would you have really wanted to be on a cruise with the shortened port stops that were previously announced? Now that Celebrity has canceled the cruise you may have better options than before.

Edited by terrydtx

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

Did you have travel insurance for your cruise?  If so, it may cover your airfare expense, I know the insurance we buy would have covered us in this scenario. 

I'm not the poster you were asking, I'm just curious about your travel insurance.  Are you saying it would cover you for losses when the actual travel supplier (here, Celebrity) cancels the trip?   Many policies will not do that (e.g., Travel Guard Preferred); the assumption is made that the at-fault party should be responsible for those losses.  (Which I personally think it should be.)

Edited by Turtles06

2 hours ago, tpeacockiii said:

No money has been lost...

I'm not saying it's a great situation, or that Celebrity shouldn't do more. But I wouldn't expect Celebrity to reimburse $2k in flights that the airline will apply in a credit to use in the future.

But money HAS been lost.  The poster is out $2K in money...cash... That she may be getting a credit on an airline she does not usually travel is really beside the point imho.  In order to use that credit, if she's ever able to, she might have to book a flight she would not otherwise take.  A credit is not compensation for an out of pocket loss of money, a loss caused to the guests on this cruise by Celebrity.  Celebrity is at fault here, Celebrity should make its guests whole.  

I love Celebrity, but that doesn't mean it can do no wrong.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

I'm not the poster you were asking, I'm just curious about your travel insurance.  Are you saying it would cover you for losses when the actual travel supplier (here, Celebrity) cancels the trip?   Many policies will not do that (e.g., Travel Guard Preferred); the assumption is made that the at-fault party should be responsible for those losses.  (Which I personally think it should be.)

I include the cost of airfare, the cruise and non-cancelable hotels in the cost and coverage of any travel insurance we buy, so that we are covered as the result of any cancelations. If you do not include the costs and travel outside of the cruise in the insurance policy, you will not be covered. It costs a few dollars more, but the peace of mind is welcomed. I buy the insurance through my TA's parent company and have for many years. I learned a long time ago to NEVER buy insurance directly through the cruise line. For our August cruises on Celebrity and then HAL with 6 land days in between them, our insurance will cover us for the land days too. This is more important for the medical coverage.

Edited by terrydtx

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

Did you have travel insurance for your cruise?  If so, it may cover your airfare expense, I know the insurance we buy would have covered us in this scenario. But would you have really wanted to be on a cruise with the shortened port stops that were previously announced? Now that Celebrity has canceled the cruise you may have better options than before.

Travel insurance should cover the airfare, but not until the credit from the airline expires unused, typically 1 year.

6 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Travel insurance should cover the airfare, but not until the credit from the airline expires unused, typically 1 year.

Air Canada travel vouchers have no expiry so not sure if insurance would cover at all in this case. 

6 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I include the cost of airfare, the cruise and non-cancelable hotels in the cost and coverage of any travel insurance we buy, so that we are covered as the result of any cancelations. If you do not include the costs and travel outside of the cruise in the insurance policy, you will not be covered. It costs a few dollars more, but the peace of mind is welcomed. I buy the insurance through my TA's parent company and have for many years. I learned a long time ago to NEVER buy insurance directly through the cruise line.

I never buy insurance through the cruise line either, and I too always include the cost of everything that is not refundable.  But your reply doesn't answer the question I posed: unless you have cancel for any reason insurance, travel insurance doesn't cover a loss for cancellation unless the reason for the cancellation is a named peril, such as serious illness of the traveler, death of an immediate non-traveling family member, etc.   

In your policy, is cancellation by the cruise line a covered loss?   Just because you've included the cost of airfare in calculating your trip cost doesn't mean you'll get it back if the cruise line cancels the cruise, it totally depends on what your policy specifies as covered reasons for cancellation. 

1 minute ago, Turtles06 said:

I never buy insurance through the cruise line either, and I too always include the cost of everything that is not refundable.  But your reply doesn't answer the question I posed: unless you have cancel for any reason insurance, travel insurance doesn't cover a loss for cancellation unless the reason for the cancellation is a named peril, such as serious illness of the traveler, death of an immediate non-traveling family member, etc.   

In your policy, is cancellation by the cruise line a covered loss?   Just because you've included the cost of airfare in calculating your trip cost doesn't mean you'll get it back if the cruise line cancels the cruise, it totally depends on what your policy specifies as covered reasons for cancellation. 

The policies, I buy includes the costs of airfare if the cruise line cancels the cruise for any reason, with all the Covid cancelations this is important. For example, last year our Infinity cruise of Spain was canceled after final payment, and we had $6000 in business class airfare, our insurance reimbursed us 100%  within a month after the cruise was canceled. The only exclusions, I know of, we are not covered for acts of war and bankruptcy of the travel vendor. The bankruptcy exclusion was added in 2020 because of Covid.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

But money HAS been lost.  The poster is out $2K in money...cash... That she may be getting a credit on an airline she does not usually travel is really beside the point imho.  In order to use that credit, if she's ever able to, she might have to book a flight she would not otherwise take.  A credit is not compensation for an out of pocket loss of money, a loss caused to the guests on this cruise by Celebrity.  Celebrity is at fault here, Celebrity should make its guests whole.  

I think we'll end up debating the semantics of "money" in this context and what "lost" means.

I will agree that the $2k has been spent from her account, however, the $2k cost of that service is still available to apply elsewhere. Air Canada may not fly many places from MCO, but a codeshare partner (United) might, if credit is allowed with codeshrae partners. The traveller no longer has the $2k cash to do with as they please, but the value spent as not disappeared.

I think we both agree that Celebrity needs to more than just an FCC for the original cruise fare, but I honestly doubt they will. I personally think they should allow all passengers to book available cabins for any similar itinerary regardless of current fare. That way maybe folks can make use of prior airfare arrangements to the similar destination.

It would be no different than if Air Canada cancelled the flight, stranding the passenger at MCO or elsewhere. The traveller would not get to embarkation on time, and therefore miss the entire cruise. Air Canada shouldn't be expected to reimburse the cruisefare in the hypothetical example.

These are all risks we take when making travel arrangements and there are many benefits to making arrangements as one "trip". I've seen elsewhere that airfare booked with Celebrity is being reimbursed by Celebrity.

52 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

That's not how an insurance company would view it. I just dealt with this situation. 

Passenger had a reservation. Diagnosed with some serious medical issues after the payment was nonrefundable and now unable to travel. Canceled and received credit. Insurance would not pay until after the credit expired (i.e. after loss was realized). Then had to prove the original cancelation was not due to a pre-existing condition but that's another story. 

• Like 2

Unfortunately we are one of those those that have been cancelled after three and a half years since we booked, fortunately our TA has found us on another cruise on the koningsdam sailing the day before 😀

• Like 8

On 5/6/2022 at 7:50 AM, Turtles06 said:

Good luck!

I have found that X is not all that sympathetic  for the frustrstions and time spent by customers.

however, if anything shuld get its sympathy  for customers it's this.

I have spend countless hours on hold with X only to have the person answering phone saying I cant hear you. so i call again and it was a problem caused by X.

It might be cheaper for X to lose the 1000 cruisers on that cruise Than give credits to be used on other cruises which might have been full already.

5 minutes ago, HMR74 said:

I have found that X is not all that sympathetic  for the frustrstions and time spent by customers.

however, if anything shuld get its sympathy  for customers it's this.

I have spend countless hours on hold with X only to have the person answering phone saying I cant hear you. so i call again and it was a problem caused by X.

It might be cheaper for X to lose the 1000 cruisers on that cruise Than give credits to be used on other cruises which might have been full already.

You should email the CEO as the person suggested, big difference asking the CEO (will be handled by someone from her Exec Team) vs talking to a front line customer service agent.

1 minute ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

You should email the CEO as the person suggested, big difference asking the CEO (will be handled by someone from her Exec Team) vs talking to a front line customer service agent.

Been there, done that-they offered me 200 obc for all my time and I took it-

The story is more complex for me but I am at the point I do not care anymore-

But the OP on this thread  should write to the CEO just to cover that base. However, I bet they have that covered in some way to cover it in a small way.

I wrote to Bayley on another matter thanking him and his staff for correcting  their error on a different issue. I got the run around on a family vacation where we have 4 adjacent cabins. One got moved by either the Agent or RCCL. The Agent told me nothing could be done but thats probably because I before that stopped doing new  business with them. The TA finally contacted RCCL , and within 3 days it was fixed. Bayley replied the same day thanking me for the  e mail.

On 5/4/2022 at 5:06 PM, WonderMan3 said:

That's ridiculous. I would be highly irritated.

What are they doing to address the barnacle issue exactly? Do they just keep scraping the hull as they dock in every port? Or does this require a quick dry dock to actually resolve the issue?

Oh, guess I was psychic…

On 5/6/2022 at 8:20 AM, mkayreagan said:

Why are you angry at Celebrity? This was kind of a freak rare occurrence and in order for them to resolve it in the middle of cruising season they have to cancel a sailing; you just happen to be on the unlucky sailing. What did you expect them to do? Continue with your sailing and reduce port times or possibly cancel a port and additionally risk continued damage to the ship by sailing with the barnacles attached? If you want to protect your airfare then you need to purchase it from the cruise line or buy travel insurance.

• Like 2

Any sailing can be cancelled for any reason.  Those who "live" on cruise ships are often disappointed when their ship gets chartered and they need to unexpectedly clear out their stateroom for a sailing.  Lesson learned for anyone reading this, a cancelled cruise should be taken into consideration when booking airfare.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

Why are you angry at Celebrity? This was kind of a freak rare occurrence and in order for them to resolve it in the middle of cruising season they have to cancel a sailing; you just happen to be on the unlucky sailing. What did you expect them to do? Continue with your sailing and reduce port times or possibly cancel a port and additionally risk continued damage to the ship by sailing with the barnacles attached? If you want to protect your airfare then you need to purchase it from the cruise line or buy travel insurance.

I agree with your comments 100%. This is one of the very rare times a cruise has to be canceled for some emergency repair. Celebrity is the one losing all that revenue from having no passengers on the ship for a week and if they could have avoided this they would have.

• Like 1

This problem does cut both ways.

For the customer, its the valuable time, and money,  they allotted to what they hope is a perfect vacation.

I'd be surprised if Celebrity and other lines did not have a business interuption insurance albeit with large deductibles .

Was it the NCL ship that recently ran aground on a sand bar and had to cancel a few trips? What did they do for the customers. Other companies are delaying inagural cruises due to supply chain problems.

I now either book refundable air tickets or use miles  where they allow changes or cancellations.

Same for pre or post cruise stays.

If you do it that way you buy piece of mind -consider it the cost of planning a vacation in the new environment.

Do not underestimate the potential for food shortages or oil shortages. Diesel on the east coast is supossed to be in short supply right now. As well jet fuel inventories are having ups and downs.

Fav saying to kids when somethng goes wrong "Deal with it".

Edited by HMR74

9 minutes ago, HMR74 said:

I now either book refundable air tickets or use miles  where they allow changes or cancellations.

Most airlines also offer insurance through third parties that will cover cancelation of trip and interruptions.

51 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Most airlines also offer insurance through third parties that will cover cancelation of trip and interruptions.

Very true. Not too out of line in cost. However, if the ticket price comes down , they will just credit your credit card, versus a Future credit which usually has an expriation a year or two out.

I bought 8 tickets for a family cruise and the price decrrease decreased  by more than the addl charge-before the price went up a heck of a lot more to the thin air level. A thanksgiving cruise when we have to fly on Saturday and fly back on the following Sunday-prime time,

it is what it is.

it is a new reality

Edited by HMR74