Live from the Crown Princess Return to Service Cruise May 7 2022 to Alaska

pkt1976

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

pkt1976 was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

I’ll say this, it is going to be interesting! 

If you didn’t know, last week all itineraries for the Crown were changed due to a mechanical issue on the ship. As I sat here starting to Type this, we just got another notification that the itinerary on at least this sailing will change again. 

Here’s the new plan In the photo. After the change last week, as compensation we received $100 in onboard credit. With this new change, we still get the hundred onboard credit  and also get 20% of our base fair will be available as a future cruise credit for a future sailing.

I already knew to pack my patience for a return to service cruise, as the ship has not had passengers in two years. I do expect challenges during this cruise but no matter what, Alaska is amazing and I will have a good time! Follow along as we go on what I expect to be quite the journey. This is my fourth cruise to Alaska, and I’ve loved it every single time. At this time, our stops are Ketchikan, Skagway, glacier bay, and Victoria.

I expect a bit a chaos, but I won’t be at work, and hey we have the drink package ! I have a feeling I’m going to be saying that a lot 😂

DF3F50B5-E33F-4D92-8F60-FA9E3ED0273A.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I am on the Crown in July and am looking forward to any and all reports from this sailing. I can’t believe (-(and then again can believe) the itinerary has changed again. Can’t wait to hear from crew members as to what is really going on. Have an awesome time, post those live updates, and keep us updated on the ship issues. 

• Like 1

After chatting with my cruise buddy, here is our amended plan…. Subject to change….😂

Ketchikan is a lovely little town and fun to walk Around. We will wander creek street and the town. I’ll take her to see married man’s trail and we will see if the salmon have arrived yet. There is a boba place at the dock which is very good. 

In Skagway we had rented a car to go up into the Yukon. With the shorter port time and uncertainty the itinerary won’t change again, we canceled the car and will look at excursions on board. 

In Victoria we were planning to go to Beacon Hill Park. We still may. Sunset is at 8:43 and I think it would be beautiful there.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Becky_Mac said:

I am on the Crown in July and am looking forward to any and all reports from this sailing. I can’t believe (-(and then again can believe) the itinerary has changed again. Can’t wait to hear from crew members as to what is really going on. Have an awesome time, post those live updates, and keep us updated on the ship issues. 

It will be unlike other cruises I’ve been on I’m sure. Yes, I’m curious to what they will say onboard. I did set up a meet and greet and will invite the ship officers so will post anything they share with us. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, pkt1976 said:

It will be unlike other cruises I’ve been on I’m sure. Yes, I’m curious to what they will say onboard. I did set up a meet and greet and will invite the ship officers so will post anything they share with us. 

Thank you. And enjoy that drink package (and Alaska)! 

Edited by Becky_Mac
  • Like 2

At this rate, you may end up with a free cruise before too long 🙂 

Seriously, enjoy the ride and be glad you aren't twiddling your thumbs waiting for cruising to restart!

Alaska is beautiful......keep us all posted on your trip!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cruzin4us said:

At this rate, you may end up with a free cruise before too long 🙂 

Seriously, enjoy the ride and be glad you aren't twiddling your thumbs waiting for cruising to restart!

Alaska is beautiful......keep us all posted on your trip!

I still won’t be at work! 😂 I swear my boss was hoping it would cancel so I’d stay and work 😂 yeah, I definitely am not convinced there won’t be more changes.  But a day at sea is better than a day at work. 

• Like 2

What I can not believe is that Princess is utilizing this limping ship until who knows when instead of properly fixing the problem in order to not cancel some cruises. They have had similar issues before and just kept running the ships.  They have had all this time to get all the ships into ship shape ... UGH!  I know, too many $$$$$$.  Well, that's Princess.   I like the Crown and have a booking on her later this year, but I will likely cancel due to this and other factors

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, hpeabody said:

What I can not believe is that Princess is utilizing this limping ship until who knows when instead of properly fixing the problem in order to not cancel some cruises. They have had similar issues before and just kept running the ships.  They have had all this time to get all the ships into ship shape ... UGH!  I know, too many $$$$$$.  Well, that's Princess.   I like the Crown and have a booking on her later this year, but I will likely cancel due to this and other factors

Hi Holly...we cancelled the Tahiti cruise and we were doing the California Coastal before it B2B. We cancelled both, but not because of this.  When they took Bora Bora off and added a day in Tahiti...that was it for us.
(Sorry folks for hijacking your forum!)

I love your attitude pkt1976, I agree being on vacation is better than work any day. Traveling is an adventure, especially nowadays, we all have to have a little more patience to get it back. 
I am on the 6/4 sailing with 5 friends. 
lokking forward to your perspective. 
i pray safe travels and a fun adventure.

• Like 3

I am curious how passengers who fail to enter information into Arrivecan  prior to arriving at check in are being handled if anyone happens to notice.  Are Princess reps assisting ?  I know some people choose to have all Medallion information entered by Princess at the Port, my guess is there will be some who don’t do Arrivecan in advance as well. 

8 minutes ago, Shelly97060 said:

I am curious how passengers who fail to enter information into Arrivecan  prior to arriving at check in are being handled if anyone happens to notice.  Are Princess reps assisting ?  I know some people choose to have all Medallion information entered by Princess at the Port, my guess is there will be some who don’t do Arrivecan in advance as well. 

I am at the Westin and the Princess reps here verified passport, vaccination cards, and negative covid tests. No mention of Arrivecan. I was told these would be verified again at the pier. 

1 hour ago, grnstone317 said:

I am at the Westin and the Princess reps here verified passport, vaccination cards, and negative covid tests. No mention of Arrivecan. I was told these would be verified again at the pier. 

Thanks for this information. I was wondering if Princess has people at the pier helping folks enter info into Arrivecan.  If you happen to notice that or if you get a chance to ask one of the reps that would be appreciated. 

14 minutes ago, Shelly97060 said:

Thanks for this information. I was wondering if Princess has people at the pier helping folks enter info into Arrivecan.  If you happen to notice that or if you get a chance to ask one of the reps that would be appreciated. 

I wonder if the only people who even know about Arrivecan are those of us on Cruise Critic?
I am pretty sure the info is on the Princess site but it should be highlighted.

Edited by suzyed

2 minutes ago, suzyed said:

I wonder if the only people who even know about Arrivecan are those of us on Cruise Critic?
I am pretty sure the info is on the Princess site but it should be highlighted.

Princess has started sending out notices to booked guests. But I agree with you there is very little information on the Princess website about it.  

I'm still glad we jumped ship and are going on the Discovery Princess. The $100 OBC and the 20% FCC is a nice gesture. I'll be following the Crown on her adventure.

I think the ArriveCan is going to be a mess at Pier 91 as it seems that only people who know about ArriveCan are those of s on Cruise Critic. Our TA doesn't have a clue about it. I downloaded the Ap and I'm set to go. 

Edited by Eaglecw
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Eaglecw said:

I'm still glad we jumped ship and are going on the Discovery Princess. The $100 OBC and the 20% FCC is a nice gesture. I'll be following the Crown on her adventure.

I think the ArriveCan is going to be a mess at Pier 91 as it seems that only people who know about ArriveCan are those of s on Cruise Critic. Our TA doesn't have a clue about it. I downloaded the Ap and I'm set to go. 

Please explain for me.  How is Seattle Pier 91 affected by ArriveCan for US citizen passengers. I will be on a cruise leaving from and ending in Seattle and returning to California after the cruise.   Is ArriveCan required for a 4 hour stop in Victoria?

3 hours ago, grnstone317 said:

We are using Princess for hotel and transfer for our Crown cruise next month. What time in morning do they have you meet up to head to ship? Thanks

I'm hoping they'll have the new Alaskan Menu on board and that you'll grace us with foodie pics and opinions... We're on the Grand later this month for an Alaskan B2B and excited for the new seafood choices that are expected 🙂  Hope you have a wonderful cruise in spite of the changes... and like you said, you have the drink package, so it should be pretty good all around no matter what 😉 

• Like 2