Semi-Live Norwegian Joy to Bermuda - Norfolk, VA - May 8, 2022

mking8288

Hi @mking8288, hope you and yours are feeling better.

I am almost feeling 100% now. I've still got a stray cough here and there. My sense of taste and smell has returned—definitely not as sharp as before, but I heard it can take about 2 weeks to fully return. Longer for some folks. I'd say I'm at about 50% from a smelling/tasting capacity.

Still testing positive on a rapid test, so I am not cleared to resume being a member of society just yet. 🤣

My daughter did wind up testing positive on Sunday. She came down with a fever on Saturday afternoon, went to sleep, and tested positive on Sunday morning. Her fever was gone this morning when she woke up, and now it's like nothing ever happened. So fingers crossed it stays that way.

My wife tested herself several times over the past week, including taking a PCR at CVS, and has not tested positive yet. She may yet escape.

So, all in all we're doing well. The flip side of this is that we'll most likely take a vacation once we've all recovered.

The jury's still out on whether natural immunity will provide lasting protection, but most experts seem to think it'll provide at least 2-3 months' of protection. So ironically we may be cruising again sooner because of this, especially if my wife does wind up testing positive. Maybe for our anniversary in August—or maybe even sooner.

• Like 1

@dcipjr  Great to hear from you and sharing the update ... we are probably somewhere between 80% to 95% today, tired more easily than usual - perfect excuse to sleep more.  Vitamins C & D, fluid and remote surfing on the streaming Chromecast TV, haha - home FiOS at 300/300 just blown that satellite WiFi away.  Self tested last Wednesday (knew it was too early) as positive and even yesterday afternoon, both remained positive - no B2B for anyone if caught in similar situations, unless onboard testing somehow slipped under the cracks ... I remember sitting in the dark Joy Theater with our masks on, just before curtains up, hearing quite a few coughs all around there.   Thus far, the elderly sisters managed to remain negative & BIL is doing well - b/c of his risk factors, his PCP prescribed antiviral just in case ... our PCP just said, stay home & don't go anywhere for next 7 to 10 days (mask up if going for essentials.)  Nurse friend of mine caught it recently at work (and, they are typically up with better PPE, N95 and the works) spent not a week at home, took an extra week of personal time off from vacation days to rest & recover ... almost as if, it's not when, just a matter of time, sooner or later, maybe here & now is better. 

Cannot believe that we are using up some of our soon-to-expire test kits already (didn't want to grab more & waste them) - now that we wanted to test ourselves, they are going quick ... as least mostly free, except 2 boxes that I ordered & paid for from iHealth (used up now) early on.  Good thing is, ordered our 3rd round of free tests (8 kits, shipping in 2 packages) arriving this Wed, USPS just updated status - so we should have it on hand - ones from Abbott Labs are good for a years, others only for 6 months (read about some being extended ... not sure if ours will)   Our health plan will cover home tests free ... DW might be calling our friendly local pharmacy to find out how & what's in stock, just don't like to do the reimbursement deal if we can take a short cut. 

Joy is the only Norwegian ship in town this summer until late August, unless you are looking at Baltimore or Cape Liberty with other lines ... Maybe, Red Hook in Brooklyn ... DW has been whispering Alaska, 2023 season in my ears.  And I got United flight miles to cash in ... 

Cruise ships - fortune teller like me - think, are going to get fuller & fuller in the coming peak summer weeks - lucky timing for us to cruise under 50% - don't even want to start seriously thinking what our Fall cruise will be like, too much in the unknown & unpredictable column.  By then, immunity protection will - experts believe - probably slide downward again and due for a 4th - booster ... maybe, they will have newer vaccine "blend" to account for the changing variants.  Definitely going to get our seasonal influenza shot by then - tetanus is the other booster due.  As for monkeybox, not worried at all and thankfully, no longer need to do annual PPD to satisfy work requirement, but for other reasons, chest XR earlier this winter is clear & clean, no worries.  

Joy's live shipcam, Ch. 12 onboard remained offline and still not available for passengers onboard - per this week's "live" roll call update this morning, after they docked in Norfolk, VA.  

Tested positive last Thursday after the cruise.   Friday and Saturday were the very worst days I have had in a long time.

oxygen back up 95% this afternoon.  Dislocated shoulder husband says he feels a “little sick”.   Adult son who wasn’t on cruise but came over Sunday to help with luggage is right on the edge of getting sick but doesn’t want to test.  So he is self isolating or with us.   

@sassycruiser - Dear lord 😳  Get better and feel better, and you should - will - just like us, being vaxxed & boosted made a difference. DW had questioned me in having a portable SPO2 meter at home for 2+ years already, now she understood along with digital fever probe.  Get extra Vitamins C and D into your systems, it helps with the supplements to help restore our body.  We should be past our 10 days shortly and relieved later this week, as even 2 of us have been masked up indoors and nobody else around, doing & singing washy washy - extra cleaning & wiping down high-traffic contact surfaces ... running our HEPA filters on high (from the 9/11 days ... yulp)   Excellent idea and best practices to self-isolate or quarantine, better safe than sorry later on.  

P.S.  Felt bad that we never got a chance to mingle & greet fellow CC'ers at the onboard M&G ... perhaps, in the future on another cruise.  It was the worst one that I've attended over the years.  

Edited by mking8288

@mking8288  It's your fault.  Wasn't even thinking about another cruise.  Then,  I read your thread.

So, I see NCL ships are not sailing at capacity (that's a good thing).  Coming off a Royal Cruise, lines were long for MDRs as they were sailing near capacity and were unprepared.  How about NCL?  Service still good?

Is everything open?

Thinking of doing one of the "-Away" ships out of FL doing that whole tour.

I used to be able to snag last minute deals on NCL (as in, a sailing a few weeks to a month out).  Still the case?

As always, appreciate anything you can share.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

Good thing is, ordered our 3rd round of free tests (8 kits, shipping in 2 packages) arriving this Wed, USPS just updated status - so we should have it on hand - ones from Abbott Labs are good for a years, others only for 6 months (read about some being extended ... not sure if ours will) 

Henry:

In case you didn't know, the FDA maintains a web page with the extended expiration dates for the the at-home antigen tests so it's easy to check the tests you have .

Paul

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/coronavirus-covid-19-and-medical-devices/home-otc-covid-19-diagnostic-tests#list

• Thanks 2

On whether we would unquestionably book these "SP" Family "Suites" (Insides - 2BR/2BA w virtual Balcony) - short answer/conclusion that we've reached as a group of 6, is a simply "No"  That is, we will NOT book them again or pay more for these - as much as we loved & enjoyed the extra space.  

Without going to a lengthy discussion, we are better off booking a "standard" or regular balcony, maybe 2 of them if there are 4 of us, maybe even for 5 adults - nobody has to climb to the upper bunk/pullman - it will cost about the same, if not less.  We can apply a CruiseNext certificate to each (thus, DoubleUp essentially anytime without being restricted or while within a promo period) AND we can obtain NCLH stockholder's NR OBC for each of the stateroom, thus $200 OBC in total instead of just one or $100 OBC to the suite.  Furthermore, better leverage on the "free" WiFi minutes (600 minutes with 4 guests, first 2 in each balcon x 2 = 4 allowance times 150 minutes = 600 airtime minutes worth of satellite data) and of course, the SD or Specialty Dining plan or allowance.  

SP (and, probably true for the "SC" for the most part) really give us no significant value-added perks or benefits - aside from the upscaled bath & bedroom products - not even a complimentary "carton" of Just Water each, based on the # of registered paying guests in each suite.  Save the "treats" delivered twice a week by Room Service, that's a joke not worth the time. 

Lastly, did NCL just changed & eliminated the description of remaining  SP (SC) perks, still included last month - because, I just checked now doing a mock booking - everything else left, now gone ??? oops ... not even priority disembarkation/embarkation (or, special luggage tags) or linens/bath products, bedding and bath robes/slippers.  That's the near ultimate self-destruction, IMHO of a half-decent product, exclusive to the Joy.  Anyone that booked it earlier, please fact-check and reconfirm, do a screenshot of what's included, just in case - and, don't hesitate to speak to/call/see Guest Services once onboard to let them know (as I could be misinformed ... ) 

Well, how about dropping the price further for new booking - it's almost no better than one of the larger Family Oceanviews that sleep 4, up to 5 in some but with one bathroom only.  At least, the large windows is real & transparent, not virtual and sometimes offline ... 

Personally, we just cannot and won't recommend these "suites" not anymore.  Instead, mix and match with 2 balconies, balcony and an oceanview (forward ones on select decks), balcony and an inside (for children & teens) - maybe, even two regular oceanviews - these variations are better deals ahead.  The only advantage, they are classified as (still) being suites - 2 points per night as booked, while it last & remain unchanged for now.  Advantages - use 2 CruiseNex (4 with DoubleUp promo) and $200 OBC possible if both regular staterooms are booked by 2 NCLH stock holders, 600 free WiFi minutes (for 2 rooms x 2 per room x 150 minutes each) and 2 sets of Specialty Dining offers - not to mention the Beverage offers for 4 adults instead of 2 (just b/c we aren't drinkers, others do ...)

(P.S.)  Of course, one can debate and take the stance the "current" pricing of these suite is unique to the Joy and appropriately set - supply & demand economics.  Moving along, that explained - now that all bookings are subject to penalties for change/cancel - more than 75% remain vacant / unsold out of 31 SP ... on a given sailing.  

Edited by mking8288

@njhorseman Thanks, Paul - useful and very helpful link - we are out of iHealth ourselves (would've given us 3 month extensions) got some Abbott ones (was 12 months thru next march - 3 more months, woohoo - if we don't use them before) ... not seeing Roche on the latest list yet, goin' to check before they expire this August.  Got 4 more boxes / 8 free test kits coming via USPS, just shipping dated to delivery this week from Newark NJ warehouse/shipping point - let's see who made this free batch (apparently, they just processed & ship what's in stock)

20 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Got 4 more boxes / 8 free test kits coming via USPS, just shipping dated to delivery this week from Newark NJ warehouse/shipping point - let's see who made this free batch (apparently, they just processed & ship what's in stock)

We just received the 8 free test kits we ordered last week.  Both packages came from Texas. One had the iHealth kits, the other had Roche (which I’d never seen before).  All were manufactured in February, all have expiration dates on their boxes in August, although I know that the iHealth kits have been given a 3-moth extension.

Besides the FDA link that Paul posted above, I’d previously seen this from iHealth, which includes a tool for looking up the new expiration date by lot number (although it’s pretty simple just to add 3 to the original expiration month 🤣):

https://ihealthlabs.com/pages/news?fbclid=IwAR2uqHnPhI53bU2OFH51k4-qJyDCtJEkDCC_afNeQoi2rg8yJVLqGItJHZ4

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

@mking8288  It's your fault.  Wasn't even thinking ...  I see NCL ships are not sailing at capacity (that's a good thing).  Coming off a Royal Cruise, lines were long for MDRs as they were sailing near capacity and were unprepared.  How about NCL?  Service still good?  Is everything open?

Thinking of doing one of the "-Away" ships out of FL ... used to be able to snag last minute deals on NCL (as in, a sailing a few weeks to a month out).  Still ...

Yes, I take full responsibilities for doing this "mini-series" - purely not planned or intentional.  Next round, just going to post food pictures & screenshots, nothing more; maybe, emoji - that's it. 

My sense is NCL are edging theirs higher, now that CDC rules are being amended.  The next several sailing should reveal more - families with children & teens have been restless & kept out for 2 summers now - anything and everything go.  NY has just 1 ship for the better half of June, entire July and beginning of August until the younger ones resume classroom learning.  Not seeing bargain prices for Miami with BA, nothing dirty cheap and/or with solo deals - times've changed.  See some deals now for GA out of Port Canaveral, solo priced, Open Bar, SD (for 1, one night) and WiFi - all inclusive under $1,250 plus DSC, airfare with DL on your own.  Not bad at all.  Get your Amex offers & NCLH OBC rebated - just roll the dices with risk of tropical weather & hurricane as things do warm up by August. 

• Like 1

On 5/20/2022 at 8:49 PM, mking8288 said:

Last but not least, to summarize some of the key elements - did we enjoyed ourselves and our week onboard the Norwegian Joy ?  Short answer, yes and it met our tailored expectations as a whole and for the most parts.  Nothing is perfect in this imperfect and challenging global world that we live in, especially directly under the shadows and shades of Covid-19.  Did it exceed and/or above and beyond, no - it did not.  Score this Bermuda cruise by NCL on the Joy, somewhat between "A" and A minus (4.25 out of a possible/maximum perfect score of 5.0)

From the time we booked, waited for online check-in to open at 21 days, to the morning of our embarkation - NCL has provided a steady stream of information, important details and especially about its health & safety protocols, and vaccination/testing requirements, some of which are unique & specific to Bermuda, which has previously conflicted with guidelines issued by government entities on the islands - leading to confusing among some guests.  Generally, it was concise, timely, useful and important - including the virtual but mandatory muster station/emergency evacuation drills with the customized videos on YouTube. NCL, however, needs to do a better job of posting, updating and alert booked guests on what, when, and how, etc. - especially, when to submit the initial Bermuda TA application & paid the $40 p/p fees (answer: ASAP starting at 30 days out from sailing, we did ours about 2 weeks away as we book the cruise late - last minute)  Timing of the submissions, what not to do and how to deal with, not getting the TA approval just 24 hours before sailing - guidance can be improved.  Score: B+ to A- 

Nerve-wrecking to arrange to get tested at Day 3 (morning of being best) - 2 days prior - & immediately upload negative results to BDA, and then wait for approval (prayers won't hurt, LOL).  If things hit potholes and bumps, it's 1 to 2 hours on hold in the toll-free queues, avoid calling the non-toll-free long distance number or your phone bill is going to implode.  Our B-TA approvals starting coming in about 24 hours after we uploaded them on Saturday morning, and by late afternoon - all 6 were granted permission to travel & disembark in Bermuda from the cruise.  Otherwise, there is that provisional approval, allowing on to embark ... and, go ashore once approval issued while en route.

The B-TA is expected to remain in place thru early 2023, almost everyone hates it except the local government, generating millions in revenue, not exactly tourism & visitors friendly, but ... 

For all these & related communications - Score: B rating overall.

Maybe, just an idea, a handy checklist from NCL to follow might help - anyone not comfortable with modern smartphone or iPhone usage, text messaging, mobile email and online access are going to find all these, very much a pain.  Good news, kind of, MCT now has free WiFi to use, unsecured & somewhat poor in signal & coverage, depending on your whereabouts vs. the nearest router(s) - does help if you have trouble retrieving your test results or PDF docs, etc. (woohoo !!) as it's a known fact that regardless of being on VZW, AT&T or T-Mobile, cellular coverage inside the vast terminal building was & remain poor to just usable at best, 5G signal - hahaha, forgetabout it.  Wasn't there in March, 2022 - unless I wasn't looking hard enough before.  

Embarkation/pier arrival:  Screening, Check-in and the Boarding process - Joy's Guest Services team now knows & heard from me directly last week, it's not working seamlessly.  Promises not kept for priority embarkations for some of the suite guests that are supposed to be entitled to them.  NCL is accountable & should put forth immediate changes to better manage the steps, process and take immediate corrective measures to troubleshoot, fix & resolve issues inside the terminal that's important and they can mitigate, correct and change - shifting the burden and deflecting is not acceptance.  If not, this mess will stay for the entire Bermuda cruise season into 2023, oh lord. My plea - do something about it, anything but must try harder, not acceptable as is.  Score is a C plus.

For our Bermuda sailing, we selected 10 - 10:30 am arrival to check-in ... assuming that we can and will invoke some sort of priority check-in at the cruise terminal, MCT / Pier 88, which we are very familiar with ( ~ 25 years) - after all, we're sailed out of there on the NCL Getaway a month ago & returned (our 1st. post-pandemic cruise in over 2 years) - and expected a bit of chaos & confusion once inside.  Sure enough, things been changed, for the worst - no thanks to the partnering innovation among NCL, pier operations and the outsourced shore-side contractor (and, their assigned employees on the job) in how things go, the flow for arriving passengers eager to be onboard ASAP - nearly caught us off-guard entirely.  Plus, masking inside the busy building was no longer required, unlike March, optional only and freestyle for all passengers, do as you pleased and social distancing nearly impossible, no matter how you try & look at the roped setup for the screening/security lines & even as you approach the sectioned check-in areas for different clusters of passengers (i.e. Haven, Platinum & all others). 

First or Step 1.2 - Go Inside, after you checked any luggage or bags with the (Step 1.1) porters curbside, is to figure out where to start.  Haven and accessible passengers generally found someone to greet & help them, get pointed in the direction and sometimes escorted to move ahead.  All others - "go straight head" is the generalized instructions, follow the herd - didn't matter if you are Diamonds, Sapphire, Platinum, VIP or CAS - if you push & ask, maybe - the answer is different.  But, not really - fortunately, it wasn't too terrible at 10:10 am, the line moved at a steady pace and before we know it, our passports & eDocs were checked or inspected quickly. 

Maybe next time, tell our older sister-in-law if we cruise together again, to request wheelchair assistance for boarding, she has a little mobility issues but generally, out of pride, try to manage on her own - and, walk slowly, very slowly without a cane or anything ... sometimes, carry a long umbrella.  

Next, Step 2 - Security & x-ray checkpoints - hey, at least - we no longer have to do serious TSA style screening, drop the belts (pants - hold on to them if it's loose, darn those suspender clips - they go "bing bing" if you walk straight thru the machine. )   Just toss everything, wallets, keys, coins, smartphones, gold dentures, etc. into the carry-on bags or the little trays,  Actually, water bottles get thru here - regardless, they really weren't worried about soda-runners ... and, those vending machines are still selling over-priced bottled water & Pepsi products, from what I could tell at a distance, near the restrooms.  No priorities here for just about anyone - lines were short, no backup - got thru in less than 3 or 4 minutes top.  Easy for being there "early" but not too early - actually, by now - there's probably more than a few hundreds already thru the whole arrival, hanging out in different parts of the building, standing-sitting-waiting-chatting and wondering, are we going to be boarding soon.  Not a bad idea to mask up until you are onboard, IMHO.  

Step 3 - Bermuda extras - Documents checking - if you aren't cruising to Bermuda or stopping there somehow on your cruise, not a problem.  Otherwise, this is done by about a dozen or less pier workers with NCL logo badges, spread out across & behind those long counter stations - carefully looking at your negative test results, B-TA approvals, and passports or travel documents - everything matched & satisfactory, then - a sticker for your passports & here's where we're just handed Group/Zone 15 boarding card, I asked & told the agent we are in a suite & also Platinum (Sapphire) - she couldn't care less about it.  Pointed three of us to keep walking to complete check-in ahead.  Getting grumpy and annoyed, WTH.  I suppose, one can protest here, stand our grounds & demanded to see a supervisor or senior rep from NCL - and, possibly risk being reported to security.   Score: D minus here. 

Memo to myself - this isn't going to be easily forgotten, and mentally, documenting it all, stealth photos of the surroundings here & what's going on, someone is going to hear & read about this later on, not if I cannot help make a difference - imagine passengers with a little language barrier or easily intimidated.  Calm down, relax, breath & keep going - don't allow this to ruin our cruise week, just a bad start inside.  

Step 4 - finally, we are approaching the usual Check-In area, usually on a fast track once we "flashed" our status, whether it's Platinum/Sapphire, VIP (CAS) or whatever.  Apparently, the word "suite" passengers does not ring a bell, nor triggered anything at all (maybe, "Faster to the Fun" as in Carnival might help do a bling bling) - she looked at her clipboard, flip the sheets & started to point us to the longest line ... that is, all others ahead.  Sapphire, what's that, huh - finally, Platinum set off the sparks - after I spotted signage.  Amen, she finally said, go there & not here as one of her co-worker walked by - just 2 other "parties" in front of us in the short line ... going to be okay soon.  No less than 3 or 4 minutes later, the next available agent waived her cardboard "paddle" to step over - and, proceeded to repeat the passport & eDocs checking, again ... didn't have to re-take our mugshot pictures again.  Asked the few health screening Q's and went to the back area to find & came back with our Guest Key Cards - sending us on our way, to walk straight ahead, again. 

No, she did not check to see if we are Group/Zone 1 to 3 or 4 - being Sapphire & suite passengers, either of which - entitled or should've given us a little bit of priority boarding.  Nope - wasn't the case (and, I checked with my BIL in the other suite ... they're told in find a place to sit in the general waiting area nearby - also did not received or given a Boarding Group or Zone # with lower number either ... and, they got there a little earlier than us.  Luckily, I visually scanned around while walking thru the vast terminal, spotted the very much packed, nearly already full Haven "lounge" & exclusive "check-in" area & staffed with NCL concierge teams ... fairly easy to spot them at a distance; and, also saw the usual lounge/roped off area near the security podium setup by the ship inside the building near the doors leading outside to the walkways, and also the usual Platinum seating area, roped off - just like late March for the Getaway cruise. 

Rounded up all of them, 6 of us matched back after going around & told the pier greeters "guarding" that seating area that we are Platinum & went in and took up empty seats to wait & relax.  That's when we heard the overhead P.A. announcement that due to an USCG inspection, unplanned ?? this morning, that early/boarding will be delayed indefinitely - they do not have an ETA and not going to give one, since ... folks are asked to do whatever, and listen for the announcement once they are ready.  It helped explained that at 11:30 am, Haven guests are still hanging out inside the building like everyone else. It's going to be a "late" lunch for us but the MDR should be open by the time we get on the ship.  

Most aren't wearing masks at all - older passengers & especially those in wheelchairs or otherwise, near the accessible waiting area, are fairly good & most, if not all, masked up.  Not required, not encouraged or recommended, strictly optional and completely, "freestyle".  

After a while, but not long - closer to/around noon, we saw that the uniform USCG folks were starting to leave the ship via the gangway, apparently done or finishing up the inspection.  Some of the crew were still in their life jackets out on the lifeboat deck in groups - more crew members in assorted work clothes from different departments began coming into the building, that's signaling that early boarding & Haven will be first and next to be on the ship first.  Good ... and, we follow shortly thereafter once the accessible passengers are escorted with assistance to proceed.  

Getting hungry already as we ate a light breakfast before leaving our home at 9:20 am, only took us about 30 minutes - with a quick & direct detour via historic Harlem, going crosstown via the RFK Bridge & then back on the Henry Hudson Parkway, direct to get drop off at Pier 88 by our car service, Carmel - again, this trip, a free upgrade to a comfortable & roomy minivan for the three of us.  Overall, not too bad - 45 to 55 minutes from curbside to getting the key cards, could've been a lot slower & much worst, had we didn't get our TA issued in time.  

Not without another hiccup for a smoother embarkation on an easy Sunday morning - someone didn't properly communicate and coordinate, began calling Zone/Group 1 thru 5 to start & proceed to the boarding area.  Of course, that started the canine race with about 300 people, more or less, all eager to beat everyone else inside - to head for the double doors.  The greeter responsible for the priority area stationed at the Platinum waiting area began yelling to stop & hold up everyone else, as "the group" hasn't even moved out from the roped-off area.  Very poorly managed, I think, luckily - perhaps, between the gentleman and security, they open up the side next to the podium and moved everyone in our section as best as they could, on a faster path or track to head outside to the walkpath for the Fwd gangway to reach the Joy.  Score: B, maybe B minus - definitely, not A minus for sure ... not this time for NCL.  Sorry, they need to do a better job & NCL is responsible.  

In short - embarkation day was a little extraordinary b/c of the extra elements for Bermuda, and, supposingly, the extra/en route stop on Day 2 at Norfolk, Virginia - kind of a "detour" to sail south before heading east (which, didn't happen on this cruise as we ran straight into & thru a fairly big stormy weather system at sea ... more on that & already discussed).   

Onboard the Norwegian Joy: it's not a brand name ship, the character & personality of the this mega-ship is a little different than the Breakaway, Getaway and the Escape - 3 other ships that we are pretty familiar with.  Some of the difference are "physical" in terms of public venue locations and yet identical in many, most ways - if you been on other NCL ships, it's pretty easy to know and find your ways around ... besides, look at the carpet fishes along with public hallways or corridors, simple to tell bow from stern, then figure out starboard from port side.  As a whole, the crew and the officers are warm, cheerful, helpful, friendly, smiling and often go out of their ways to help.  

In the next sub-chapter, going to give a quick snapshot of dining and services onboard, shopping and shows, writing all these up is taking more time than I've imagined.  Hang on and will come back to this shortly.

I was on the May 1st sailing. I had a similar check-in experience except yours managed to be a hair worse because I saw suite guests on a dedicated very short line for security, bermuda screening, and check-in.

Once on board, I complained to guest services, and wrote to NCL leadership while on board the ship. Apparently they didn't make any changes on your cruise. The only response I've received from NCL was an email stating they will pass my comments on to the port agency.

They are really messing things up for their repeat customers sailing out of MCT.

7 minutes ago, kylenyc said:

I was on the May 1st sailing. I had a similar check-in experience except yours managed to be a hair worse because I saw suite guests on a dedicated very short line for security, bermuda screening, and check-in.

Once on board, I complained to guest services, and wrote to NCL leadership while on board the ship. Apparently they didn't make any changes on your cruise. The only response I've received from NCL was an email stating they will pass my comments on to the port agency.

They are really messing things up for their repeat customers sailing out of MCT.

As I've said on other threads, NCL isn't in control of the people who do the screening and check in at the port. They are employees of a shoreside services contractor...last I checked it was Intercruises... that is hired by the port.

About all that NCL can do is what they said they were doing...passing your comments along to the port agency .

Agreed, the port agents don’t work for NCL.  Nor do the tour operators who stranded us on the pier on Sunday morning.  However, when your shirt says NCL and everyone wearing a branded shirt says NCL then it is NCLs problem to fix.  You don’t allow incompetent vendors to sink your brand.   I love our Joy cruise but I don’t live in NYC.  After having a bad embarkation and disembarkation the consumer starts to think -wow NCL is very good at first or last impressions.  

1 hour ago, sassycruiser said:

Agreed, the port agents don’t work for NCL.  Nor do the tour operators who stranded us on the pier on Sunday morning.  However, when your shirt says NCL and everyone wearing a branded shirt says NCL then it is NCLs problem to fix.  You don’t allow incompetent vendors to sink your brand.   I love our Joy cruise but I don’t live in NYC.  After having a bad embarkation and disembarkation the consumer starts to think -wow NCL is very good at first or last impressions.  

How much control can NCL exert over a contractor that they didn't hire? The port operator contracted for the service, not NCL. 

If they are wearing your shirts the public perception is that they are NCL affiliated.  And people employed by the MCT leave a lot be desired.  

I get what you are saying but NCL is a big company with a lot sway in todays market.   They can and should do something about it.  

3 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

At the very least couldn't NCL require that vendors wear a vendor uniform, rather than the NCL garb? @njhorsemanyou helped me figure out these are port workers, not Norwegian staff...i think a MCT uniform would go a long way toward proper accountability. 

The problem is that they want you to know that they are performing a job on behalf of NCL, even though they are not employed by NCL. The hope is that if you have a good experience checking in at the pier it's a positive first impression of NCL. Unfortunately right now just the opposite is happening.

I'm quite sure that NCL isn't pleased with what's going on at MCT and I'm sure they have had more than one conversation with the port operations people about it, but it's not a situation NCL can exert a lot of control over. 

20 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

How much control can NCL exert over a contractor that they didn't hire? 

a great deal, most likely.

they can withhold payment based on failure to provide required services and lack of adherence to NCL brand standards. buried somewhere in the contract or statement of work are the details governing the nature of the relationship, who is responsible for which services, what the SLAs are associated with that work and what recourse is available if the required services are not provided.

i haven't seen that statement of work, but i would be shocked to learn that NCL signed something that says they have no say in how terminal operations are conducted in association with their cruise departures. if they did sign such an onerous agreement, then you'd be absolutely right... they probably can't exert much control at all.

3 minutes ago, UKstages said:

a great deal, most likely.

they can withhold payment based on failure to provide required services and lack of adherence to NCL brand standards. buried somewhere in the contract or statement of work are the details governing the nature of the relationship, who is responsible for which services, what the SLAs are associated with that work and what recourse is available if the required services are not provided.

i haven't seen that statement of work, but i would be shocked to learn that NCL signed something that says they have no say in how terminal operations are conducted in association with their cruise departures. if they did sign such an onerous agreement, then you'd be absolutely right... they probably can't exert much control at all.

Except it's more complicated than you suggest given all the layers of quasi-governmental agencies and private contractors involved.  You have the Port Authority of NY/NJ at the top of the food chain,  then NYCEDC manages the MCT for the PA, NYCEDC contracts with Ports America to actually operate MCT, and Ports America hires the shoreside services contractor to do the check in work .

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mking8288 said:

almost as if, it's not when, just a matter of time, sooner or later, maybe here & now is better. 

I tend to agree. We were going to get it sooner or later. At least now, we'll have some summer immunity for other travels at least. That protection could extend even longer with additional boosters, if they come. Either way, our our immune systems will get better at handling COVID, which is the goal long-term.

I'm not worried about monkeypox. There doesn't appear to be any asymptomatic spread, making it way easier to track down, and also, the vaccine for smallpox is effective against monkeypox. The US government maintains a stockpile of smallpox vaccines large enough to vaccinate everyone in the US, so worst comes to worst, we just get a smallpox vaccine.

Once this wave is past its peak, we'll probably take advantage of the dip + our immunity and set sail. 

• Like 1

Wow, you folks sure are scaring us. We're getting on the Joy on June 12, and by the sounds of it, we'll have to assume that the embarkation process at the MCT will be as bad as ever when we board as it was for all of you. I doubt the NY port authorities will start to enforce mask rules in time for our trip, but we can hope. I'll even go out on a limb and say that I personally believe those of you vaxed, boosted and always masked folks who eventually tested positive may very well have caught the bug during embarkation, surrounded by huge numbers of the unmasked in such a confined space.

We typically like to be among the very first on board, and I accepted the default check-in time of 9AM, but we have no desire to sit around the waiting hall for hours waiting to board with the thundering herd, the vast majority of whom refuse to mask up.  Assuming boarding starts at (noon?) what would be the best strategy to board while minimizing contact with the unmasked in the hall? I would expect that we would arrive at the pier maybe 11:30ish and simply wait outside, then head into the check-in process as soon as the initial crowd has gone up the gangway and emptied the hall?  The only time-sensitive issue for us would be getting to the Specialty Restaurant booking location, but I would imagine that if we get there a bit later, we will still have no issue getting our preferred early reservation times.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Yes, I take full responsibilities for doing this "mini-series" - purely not planned or intentional.  Next round, just going to post food pictures & screenshots, nothing more; maybe, emoji - that's it. 

My sense is NCL are edging theirs higher, now that CDC rules are being amended.  The next several sailing should reveal more - families with children & teens have been restless & kept out for 2 summers now - anything and everything go.  NY has just 1 ship for the better half of June, entire July and beginning of August until the younger ones resume classroom learning.  Not seeing bargain prices for Miami with BA, nothing dirty cheap and/or with solo deals - times've changed.  See some deals now for GA out of Port Canaveral, solo priced, Open Bar, SD (for 1, one night) and WiFi - all inclusive under $1,250 plus DSC, airfare with DL on your own.  Not bad at all.  Get your Amex offers & NCLH OBC rebated - just roll the dices with risk of tropical weather & hurricane as things do warm up by August. 

Thanks.  Actively shopping right now.  Thinking next month through August.

Appreciate the insight.

• Haha 1

NCL doesn't have an apparent problems obtaining Haven passengers exclusive priorities to speed thru  cruise teminal in NYC (Pier 88/MCT) nowadays - same as pre-Covid days - whether it's document checking, security screening, and of course, the private check-in and escorted boarding.  Hence, SP and SC suite passengers should too, but ... same port contractors doing it.  Wait, maybe, someone isn't giving clear & specific written instructions and/or communicating to the NCL "agents" on the pier.  The same agents that recognize Latitudes Platinum memberships and also Casino At Sea passengers or guests ... Maybe, the mess is a direct/indirect result of manpower shortage and staffing level ... we saw fewer stations opened & manned.  

NCL Guest Relations onboard acknowledged it, knew and heard from "us" and claimed to share/past it up their chain of command to address it - maybe, just maybe - we should - hopefully - soon see positive changes.  Fingers crossed - maybe the next 1 or 2 Joy roll call will bring good news back. 

@lx200gps   As far as SD reservations, you can book it onboard and there're plenty of availability on dates & times, especially the early ones (5:30 pm) even after Day 1.  Getting there later than usual to try to avoid the crowd is a smart move, and if you show up at 12:45 or 1 pm - should be able to quickly get thru as the herd would all be packed like sardines in the Garden Cafe or buffet by then.  

More importantly, wear your fitted KN95 or KF94 masks indoors and whenever there's a crowd, ship's elevators and in the theater - use hand sanitizers if hand wash with soap & running water isn't possible. 

3 hours ago, mking8288 said:

NCL doesn't have an apparent problems obtaining Haven passengers exclusive priorities to speed thru  cruise teminal in NYC (Pier 88/MCT) nowadays - same as pre-Covid days - whether it's document checking, security screening, and of course, the private check-in and escorted boarding.  Hence, SP and SC suite passengers should too, but ... same port contractors doing it.  Wait, maybe, someone isn't giving clear & specific written instructions and/or communicating to the NCL "agents" on the pier.  The same agents that recognize Latitudes Platinum memberships and also Casino At Sea passengers or guests ... Maybe, the mess is a direct/indirect result of manpower shortage and staffing level ... we saw fewer stations opened & manned.  

NCL Guest Relations onboard acknowledged it, knew and heard from "us" and claimed to share/past it up their chain of command to address it - maybe, just maybe - we should - hopefully - soon see positive changes.  Fingers crossed - maybe the next 1 or 2 Joy roll call will bring good news back. 

@lx200gps   As far as SD reservations, you can book it onboard and there're plenty of availability on dates & times, especially the early ones (5:30 pm) even after Day 1.  Getting there later than usual to try to avoid the crowd is a smart move, and if you show up at 12:45 or 1 pm - should be able to quickly get thru as the herd would all be packed like sardines in the Garden Cafe or buffet by then.  

More importantly, wear your fitted KN95 or KF94 masks indoors and whenever there's a crowd, ship's elevators and in the theater - use hand sanitizers if hand wash with soap & running water isn't possible. 

Thanks. We've already booked four of the restaurant dates, as the system only seems to allow pre-booking any given restaurant once. Once we're on board, we'll race up to finish booking the other three nights, Cagney, Ocean Blue and Le Bistro and since we prefer to eat early, I don't expect any problem.  I note you suggest boarding at 12:45 or 1PM, I had thought we would try to enter the terminal maybe noon, or 12:15 depending on how crowded it looks? As I understand, actual boarding starts around 11:30? I had thought that 30-45 minutes would allow enough time to let the large crowd embark, and that would allow us to enter and check-in to a terminal that had just largely emptied of the waiting crowd.  As lowly SC suite pax, priority boarding is only a myth ;o( so that won't help us.

We're actually staying in Weehawken, at the Residence Inn right at the ferry terminal (MUCH cheaper than Manhattan) Our plan is to still take the 8 min. ferry across somewhat early, walk up to the ship, getting to the terminal as early as 10AM (?), check our bags with the porters, then armed with just light carry-on backpacks, walk Mid-town for a few hours to kill time on a Sunday morning. And yes, our KN95s will be welded to our faces until we're in our cabin. We don't use elevators, so that's not an issue, but SWMBO is very worried about the theaters, and I think she's justified, so I expect we'll be doing the late shows, assuming they are much less crowded.

Superb write-up all the way through, brilliant work and hugely helpful. Thanks so much....

8 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

I had thought we would try to enter the terminal maybe noon, or 12:15 depending on how crowded it looks

That's my recommendation, having done Pier 88 embarkation process most recently in late April.  Good luck.  I hope you indeed avoid the massive queuing and waiting crowds. 

Just an aside: I'm assuming others will agree that when testing at the pier was a thing (which was a HUGE hassle and time sink for passengers...and high $$$ cost to NCL), the assurances of a covid-free experience were more assured.  I'm of the mind now that the 2-days prior testing, maybe, provides more like a 75% chance of a covid-free experience.  Just a guess.  That said, please lower any expectations accordingly.