Vaccine Exemptions

memoak

56 minutes ago, chisoxfan said:

We enjoy visiting the UK and understand no testing/ requirement needed for this initial part of our journey (London).

Since we had an unpleasant reaction to vaccine (our piano tuner had partial paralysis after his vaccine but of course we will not speak of this) we just want to know from  Princess (since they

apparently have medical exemption discretion here) whether we need to take a second dose. We can make our own decision on this but need definitive answer from Princess... I do not think waiting three weeks for an answer after several attempts is reasonable.

Phone Princess, ask for a Supervisor.

email Princess customer relations.

if you want the correct requirements to cruise without Vax/ boosters.

9 minutes ago, dog said:

Change is happening so rapidly.  I'd google each country to find out what THEIR requirements are.  I'm not sure Princess has the resources to check every day for what will/will not be required.  

An informed traveler is a less likely to find "surprises"

• Like 2

12 hours ago, dog said:

I will be sending my THIRD request this morning. Have allowed over a week per request.  Getting close to final payment and want to make sure what 'the rules of the game will be'. Initial request was theough customer service said I needed to e-mail cust relations.

Understanding is that this is not something a decision is made on through a 'supervisor'.

5 minutes ago, chisoxfan said:

I will be sending my THIRD request this morning. Have allowed over a week per request.  Getting close to final payment and want to make sure what 'the rules of the game will be'. Initial request was theough customer service said I needed to e-mail cust relations.

Understanding is that this is not something a decision is made on through a 'supervisor'.

To get through to Customer Relations you often need to get a Supervisor to put you through. The staff answering phones cannot do much for you

if you cannot get satisfactory answer then cancel before final payment.

On 5/16/2022 at 6:31 AM, chisoxfan said:

How ridiculous this all is.  My wife and I were vaccinated (I frankly think it was a mistake) in early 2021 with J&J vaccine. I thought we were fully vaccinated (under the info given at time of vaccination)  but learned that since it was over 270 days ago we would have to be boosted.  Since we both had bad reactions to the vaccine we are reluctant to get another shot. Final payment is due in a week.... we reached out to Princess for an exemption twice beginning over two weeks ago but have not heard back. Scratching my head on why a cruise line customer service dept. will now be making a decision on the need for a vaccination. We will be leaving from Southhampton and I could not even get info from Princess on the cost of Princess port testing (apparently between free and 120 dollars- my bet is on the 120 dollars).  Comments make it sound as if the exemption is a 'no-brainer' but am not seeing this.

Any additional input on exemptions and/or possible contacts (phone and two e-mails) would be appreciated before I launch into my real feeling on this nonsense. Thanks in advance.

I fail to see a legitimate exemption reason here unless you have a medical doctors opinion that you cannot safely take a Pfizer or Moderna vaccine

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/15/2022 at 2:06 PM, memoak said:

Yep. But being unvaccinated makes them more likely to get Covid and pass it on

Unless they are recently recovered and then their natural immunity is likely better than those that are only vaccinated...

Vaccinated with Breakthrough infection recovery is even better.

Edited by bmc alabama
  • Like 1

On 5/17/2022 at 1:24 PM, chisoxfan said:

Just been updating my health information on the app ready for our cruise from Barcelona on Saturday.

It clearly states that for cruises from the UK, there will be no exemptions: - not fully vaccinated = no cruise. 

• Like 3

On 5/18/2022 at 9:10 AM, wowzz said:

Just been updating my health information on the app ready for our cruise from Barcelona on Saturday.

It clearly states that for cruises from the UK, there will be no exemptions: - not fully vaccinated = no cruise. 

Just to update here.  After spending time with a T/A and Princess we received an exemption for being  'fully vaccinated' for this cruise. Despite the fact that we got the J and J (which was at the time a one shot deal but since it was 270 days ago it does not count -apparently 269 days ago is OK but not 270). Unfortunately this brings about a whole new slew of testing requirements like..... test 3 days before....then at embarkation....then during the cruise. But of course nothing is spelled out and nobody at Princess has any idea about the cost of testing.  Since the vaccine and booster apparently do not prevent Covid I am not sure why we would be honored with this extra regimen of testing.

We had asked specifically about the need for extra testing before receiving exemption and were told this  would not be required. We are happy to comply with test at disembarkation which we knew clearly upfront would be required (even though Princess could not promise availability or tell us cost). Apparently as 'unvaccinated' people they will provide testing at Port (at our unknown expense) so that is great news.

We should be happy they did not make us wear a scarlet medallion..... well we haven't received one yet so who knows. 

Anyway the search for facts accuracy and 

20 minutes ago, chisoxfan said:

Just to update here.  After spending time with a T/A and Princess we received an exemption for being  'fully vaccinated' for this cruise. Despite the fact that we got the J and J (which was at the time a one shot deal but since it was 270 days ago it does not count -apparently 269 days ago is OK but not 270). Unfortunately this brings about a whole new slew of testing requirements like..... test 3 days before....then at embarkation....then during the cruise. But of course nothing is spelled out and nobody at Princess has any idea about the cost of testing.  Since the vaccine and booster apparently do not prevent Covid I am not sure why we would be honored with this extra regimen of testing.

We had asked specifically about the need for extra testing before receiving exemption and were told this  would not be required. We are happy to comply with test at disembarkation which we knew clearly upfront would be required (even though Princess could not promise availability or tell us cost). Apparently as 'unvaccinated' people they will provide testing at Port (at our unknown expense) so that is great news.

We should be happy they did not make us wear a scarlet medallion..... well we haven't received one yet so who knows. 

Well, I’m glad you achieved the exemption you applied for but again your post doesn’t sense to me.  All the information you claim to not be able to receive from either a TA or Princess directly is on the Princess Website! 

In accordance with health authority directives, all unvaccinated guests must follow these COVID-19 protocols:

• Show proof of a negative pre-travel COVID-19 RT-PCR test performed three days prior to sailing.
  • Have an embarkation day COVID-19 test performed at the terminal. We must provide testing information and reporting to the destinations we visit. Guests will be responsible for the cost of testing and administration in most destinations. Each test is offered at our internal cost and the number of tests required will vary by length of voyage and local requirements. 

Testing requirement

Cost per test

Charge location

Terminal COVID-19 test

$60

onboard folio

Testing on board every 4 days

$10

onboard folio

Testing required by local authorities to go ashore

$10 ($0 if part of company shore excursion)

onboard folio

Disembarkation test on board

$10

onboard folio

• You may not be permitted ashore in all ports and, if allowed, may only go ashore through shore excursions sold by or through Princess using tour operators who comply with our COVID-19 protocols. Self-exploration or participation in shore excursions not sold through or operated by Princess will not be permitted.
  • You may also be required to have a COVID-19 test performed prior to disembarkation.

If you refuse to be tested or screened or to follow COVID-19 protocols, you will be denied boarding, and no refund or credit will be issued.

Anyone who doesn’t comply with the onboard public health measures may be disembarked at the first available opportunity. Other consequences could include being denied service, required stateroom isolation and being banned from sailing in the future. If you are non-compliant, no refund of the cruise fare for unused cruise days or travel expenses (if flying home) will be covered. If your travel party is impacted and/or they are required or voluntarily choose to leave with you, the same policies will apply to them: no refund of cruise fare for unused cruise days or coverage of travel expenses home.

If you feel you need to change your plans after reading these directives for unvaccinated guests, please refer to our Book with Confidencepolicy for cancellation options.

• Thanks 3

38 minutes ago, chisoxfan said:

All these rules are out on Princesses web site. Should be no surprise. If I got a flu vaccine 2 years ago I would not assume I had any protection. My wife got the J & J and is getting her 3rd Pfizer next month

• Like 4

1 hour ago, chisoxfan said:

Since the vaccine and booster apparently do not prevent Covid I am not sure why we would be honored with this extra regimen of testing.

Don't you understand efficacy levels? Average Flu vaccine is regarded as excellent when it has an efficacy of 65% that means there is still a good chance you will get Flu. Covid vaccines have much higher efficacy but not 100%

• Thanks 2

22 hours ago, Pink-belle said:

Well, I’m glad you achieved the exemption you applied for but again your post doesn’t sense to me.  All the information you claim to not be able to receive from either a TA or Princess directly is on the Princess Website! 

In accordance with health authority directives, all unvaccinated guests must follow these COVID-19 protocols:

• Show proof of a negative pre-travel COVID-19 RT-PCR test performed three days prior to sailing.
  • Have an embarkation day COVID-19 test performed at the terminal. We must provide testing information and reporting to the destinations we visit. Guests will be responsible for the cost of testing and administration in most destinations. Each test is offered at our internal cost and the number of tests required will vary by length of voyage and local requirements. 

Testing requirement

Cost per test

Charge location

Terminal COVID-19 test

$60

onboard folio

Testing on board every 4 days

$10

onboard folio

Testing required by local authorities to go ashore

$10 ($0 if part of company shore excursion)

onboard folio

Disembarkation test on board

$10

onboard folio

• You may not be permitted ashore in all ports and, if allowed, may only go ashore through shore excursions sold by or through Princess using tour operators who comply with our COVID-19 protocols. Self-exploration or participation in shore excursions not sold through or operated by Princess will not be permitted.
  • You may also be required to have a COVID-19 test performed prior to disembarkation.

If you refuse to be tested or screened or to follow COVID-19 protocols, you will be denied boarding, and no refund or credit will be issued.

Anyone who doesn’t comply with the onboard public health measures may be disembarked at the first available opportunity. Other consequences could include being denied service, required stateroom isolation and being banned from sailing in the future. If you are non-compliant, no refund of the cruise fare for unused cruise days or travel expenses (if flying home) will be covered. If your travel party is impacted and/or they are required or voluntarily choose to leave with you, the same policies will apply to them: no refund of cruise fare for unused cruise days or coverage of travel expenses home.

If you feel you need to change your plans after reading these directives for unvaccinated guests, please refer to our Book with Confidencepolicy for cancellation options.

Great info. Apparently the US personnel have not been updated on this  since on three occasions they have not advised nor could they tell me the cost of the test.  I could not find this info anywhwere on the US web site. Additionally there seems to be a three day prior to boarding test required as exempt people, plus a day of boarding test... don't see this mentioned on your web site but it did come up on Princess exemption e-mail despite their assurances that 'additional testing' (beyond known disembarkation test) will NOT be required. The exemption letter states 'additional on board testing may be required at our expense' again no cost or frequency mentioned. Not trying to be argumentative or overstate my frustration but simply want to get the FACTS of what will be required. Appreciate all the efforts to supply info but do take exception for the implication that I am some moron who cannot understand what is required. Talking to Princess, my T/A and reading these boards has not provided clear cut enlightenment- it has probably added more confusion. 

Thank you.

22 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Don't you understand efficacy levels? Average Flu vaccine is regarded as excellent when it has an efficacy of 65% that means there is still a good chance you will get Flu. Covid vaccines have much higher efficacy but not 100%

Has nothing to do with catching Covid only preventing severe outcomes ....CDC does not even make this (prevention) claim or else they are hiding it when they speak of the vaccine effectiveness....preventing the disease with vaccine was what we all were hoping for..... thanks for caring but I will access my own concerns about hospitalizations, etc.

From CDC Website

CDC studies published in March and April on COVID-19 vaccine effectiveness among adults found:

• Among adults with previous infection, COVID-19 mRNA vaccination provided protection against hospitalization from reinfection, with estimated vaccine effectiveness of approximately 70% during the Omicron-predominant period. (MMWR 2022;71(15);549-555)
  • The mRNA COVID-19 vaccines, made by Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna, were highly effective at preventing hospital admissions for Alpha, Delta, and Omicron variants (BMJ 2022;306:e069761).
    • Two doses of an mRNA vaccine lowered the risk of COVID-19-related hospitalization by 85% during the Alpha variant predominance, 85% during the Delta variant period, and 65% during the Omicron period.
    • Three doses of an mRNA vaccine lowered the risk of COVID-19-related hospitalization during the Omicron period by 86%, which was similar to the protection provided by two doses during the Alpha and Delta periods.
  • Receiving two or three doses of an mRNA COVID-19 vaccine was associated with a 90% reduction in risk for COVID-19–associated invasive mechanical ventilation (IMV) or death. Vaccine effectiveness of three mRNA vaccine doses against IMV or death was 94% during the Omicron period (MMWR 2022;71:459–465).

45 minutes ago, chisoxfan said:

Great info. Apparently the US personnel have not been updated on this  since on three occasions they have not advised nor could they tell me the cost of the test.  I could not find this info anywhwere on the US web site. Additionally there seems to be a three day prior to boarding test required as exempt people, plus a day of boarding test... don't see this mentioned on your web site but it did come up on Princess exemption e-mail despite their assurances that 'additional testing' (beyond known disembarkation test) will NOT be required. The exemption letter states 'additional on board testing may be required at our expense' again no cost or frequency mentioned. Not trying to be argumentative or overstate my frustration but simply want to get the FACTS of what will be required. Appreciate all the efforts to supply info but do take exception for the implication that I am some moron who cannot understand what is required. Talking to Princess, my T/A and reading these boards has not provided clear cut enlightenment- it has probably added more confusion. 

Thank you.

Taken from your post

“Additionally there seems to be a three day prior to boarding test required as exempt people, plus a day of boarding test... don't see this mentioned on your web site “

This information IS contained on my post, copied from the Princess website, it’s in the opening paragraph, I have quoted it below. 

In accordance with health authority directives, all unvaccinated guests must follow these COVID-19 protocols:

• Have an embarkation day COVID-19 test performed at the terminal. We must provide testing information and reporting to the destinations we visit. Guests will be responsible for the cost of testing and administration in most destinations. Each test is offered at our internal cost and the number of tests required will vary by length of voyage and local requirements

1 minute ago, Pink-belle said:

Taken from your post

“Additionally there seems to be a three day prior to boarding test required as exempt people, plus a day of boarding test... don't see this mentioned on your web site “

This information IS contained on my post, copied from the Princess website, it’s in the opening paragraph, I have quoted it below. 

In accordance with health authority directives, all unvaccinated guests must follow these COVID-19 protocols:

• Have an embarkation day COVID-19 test performed at the terminal. We must provide testing information and reporting to the destinations we visit. Guests will be responsible for the cost of testing and administration in most destinations. Each test is offered at our internal cost and the number of tests required will vary by length of voyage and local requirements

Yes, I did see it. I was frustrated that in my several discussions with Princess it was never mentioned

(although asked about) UNTIL we received the exemption letter from Princess. This letter does not mention testing frequency or cost however and no one there could answer this (amazing since it is clear on your copied web page). I am thinking your info is on a UK site not a US site and it was an 'eye-opener' so thank you for that. Just saying info should be clearer.... still am not sure that 'guarantees' tests will be provided by Princess on embarkation....

Based on how dining was handled on our last Princess cruise I am not confident or surprised that this (Covid vaccination/ testing ) will be handled better. Peace.

49 minutes ago, chisoxfan said:

Yes, I did see it. I was frustrated that in my several discussions with Princess it was never mentioned

(although asked about) UNTIL we received the exemption letter from Princess. This letter does not mention testing frequency or cost however and no one there could answer this (amazing since it is clear on your copied web page). I am thinking your info is on a UK site not a US site and it was an 'eye-opener' so thank you for that. Just saying info should be clearer.... still am not sure that 'guarantees' tests will be provided by Princess on embarkation....

Based on how dining was handled on our last Princess cruise I am not confident or surprised that this (Covid vaccination/ testing ) will be handled better. Peace.

Yes, on the British version of Princess.com, under Health Protocols, you have four choices, sailing from the USA, Canada.  Sailing from Europe, Sailing from the UK, and sailing from Australia.  Select your departure point and it has more information.

A sad state of affairs that Princess employees do not know how to access the information that is posted on the World Wide Web.