What are the best beaches especially not looking for big crowds?

Luke916

13 hours ago, Luke916 said:

Just looking for a beach that is not too busy, we are not into big crowds. Looking for something a little bit more secluded

thanks for any info!

Most beaches in Bermuda have no crowds and there are many secluded. But there is a reason for no crowds.  No amenities or facilities. The beach with a crowd  has a  crowd because it has have amneities like chair rentals, food and drink and is easy to get to.  Are you okay with sitting on a towel and/or taking a while to get to the beach?  No chair rentals or toilets? No food or drink? If you are okay with that I can  post some of those.  Even the beach with the big crowd is right next to secluded beaches if you are okay with walking away half a miles from the amenities.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Most beaches in Bermuda have no crowds and there are many secluded. But there is a reason for no crowds.  No amenities or facilities. The beach with a crowd  has a  crowd because it has have amneities like chair rentals, food and drink and is easy to get to.  Are you okay with sitting on a towel and/or taking a while to get to the beach?  No chair rentals or toilets? No food or drink? If you are okay with that I can  post some of those.  Even the beach with the big crowd is right next to secluded beaches if you are okay with walking away half a miles from the amenities.

Oh I had no idea about the amenities you mentioned. I guess we would want the rentals and food close by since we will be there with our special needs son. Sorry if I offended you with the question. We haven't been to Bermuda in a very long time and it was just a day trip off another cruise. So I assume Horseshoe Bay and Tobacco Bay beaches are the best ones? I did some research and found those two. But thank you for your response

1 hour ago, Luke916 said:

Oh I had no idea about the amenities you mentioned. I guess we would want the rentals and food close by since we will be there with our special needs son. Sorry if I offended you with the question. We haven't been to Bermuda in a very long time and it was just a day trip off another cruise. So I assume Horseshoe Bay and Tobacco Bay beaches are the best ones? I did some research and found those two. But thank you for your response

I was not offended! I was gathering more information about your needs. Secluded sounds good but I wanted to be sure you understood what secluded means in Bermuda. There are  many gorgeous beaches there but to preserve them  only a few public beaches in Bermuda have facilities and concessions. Private beaches with faciliies don't usually offer access to cruise passengers and it seems even less so this year. So the public beaches with both facilities and concessions, Horseshoe and Tobacco can be crowded as cruise passengers tend to want food, rentals, toilets and showers. There is one beach with facilities and a concession that does not get very busy. At least not yet. That has been Clearwater Beach. That is because it is located on the opposite end of the island from the main cruise port. So it is less easy to get to and from.than other beaches. 

• Like 2

If you want secluded and zero crowds but no amenities go to Coopers Island Nature Preserve.
There are a half dozen beautiful beaches and you can probably have one of them all to yourself.  

Walking trails nearby and a great spot to spend a day.  

Last time we were there it was still on the bus route but required ferry to St George's from the ship.  

Gombey's Beach Bar was there on our last visit but I read it had closed down.  

Tobacco Bay had lost most of its appeal and seemed much more crowded after they added the big inflatable toys/structures in the water.  I used to enjoy it but giant inflatables ruined it for me.

23 minutes ago, cdnmr said:

Last time we were there it was still on the bus route but required ferry to St George's from the ship.  

Gombey's Beach Bar was there on our last visit but I read it had closed down.  

Gombey's was at Clearwater which I mentioned above. Gombey's is no more but it has been replaced with a new concession operator. The bus to Clearwater runs once an hour. I advise taking the ferry to St. George and then a taxi to Clearwater/Cooper. Oh, and it wou;d be a good idea arrange a return time with the taxi if you go there as taxis are not stationing themselves there. Gombey's used to call taxis when none were around and I woild guess the new concession will too. We were not sure when we wanted to leave last time and when we did want to leave no taxis around. Gombeys found us a gypsy driver who charged the same $20 fare as the taxi. 

Edited by Charles4515

On 5/16/2022 at 3:30 PM, Charles4515 said:

Gombey's was at Clearwater which I mentioned above. Gombey's is no more but it has been replaced with a new concession operator. The bus to Clearwater runs once an hour. I advise taking the ferry to St. George and then a taxi to Clearwater/Cooper. Oh, and it wou;d be a good idea arrange a return time with the taxi if you go there as taxis are not stationing themselves there. Gombey's used to call taxis when none were around and I woild guess the new concession will too. We were not sure when we wanted to leave last time and when we did want to leave no taxis around. Gombeys found us a gypsy driver who charged the same $20 fare as the taxi. 

why taxi and not the bus? I realize the convivence of the taxi , but if you have the bus schedule wouldn't you know the time the bus leaves the spot. along those lines how are the buses in general with regard to reliable pick up ( do you have to flag them down or will they stop at the stop if you are waiting) and are they on schedule.? is this are also where one can see turtles? Sorry lots of question did not mean to dump all that but one lead to another. 

9 hours ago, charlie murphy said:

why taxi and not the bus? I realize the convivence of the taxi , but if you have the bus schedule wouldn't you know the time the bus leaves the spot. along those lines how are the buses in general with regard to reliable pick up ( do you have to flag them down or will they stop at the stop if you are waiting) and are they on schedule.? is this are also where one can see turtles? Sorry lots of question did not mean to dump all that but one lead to another. 

The buses don't always run exactly on the times on the schedule, it should be seen as an estimate. Unfotunatly Bermuda has had a lot of relaibility issues with the buses the last few years. Bus breakdowns and not enough buses. Buses get cancelled . On bus routes where buses run every 15 to 20 minutes or there multiple bus routes that could be a minor frustration but on a route that runs once an hour your luck and timing have to be good. The once an hour could be a big frustration. Plus if you have never been you don't know where the bus stops are. Also for that #6 route you are getting to St. George on a ferry and leaving on a ferry that has limited runs. To me a taxi to Clearwater would not be expensive unless i was going solo. The buses will pick you up if you are at a bus stop. If you take the bus ask the driver to let you know when you are where you want to go. They are usually very good at shouting it out for you. 

There are turtles at Clearwater Beach but right next to Clearwater is Turtle Beach. Turtle Beach is well named. When I was at Turtle Beach we saw a lot of turtles. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Thanks 1

On 5/16/2022 at 6:12 PM, cdnmr said:

Tobacco Bay had lost most of its appeal and seemed much more crowded after they added the big inflatable toys/structures in the water.  I used to enjoy it but giant inflatables ruined it for me.

Those are atrocious.

On 5/14/2022 at 10:16 PM, Luke916 said:

Just looking for a beach that is not too busy, we are not into big crowds. Looking for something a little bit more secluded

thanks for any info!

I'm voting for Horseshoe Bay.

I know it's the most popular with the biggest crowds, but it's the most beautiful and you can avoid the crowd if you're smart about it.

I've been to some of the others mentioned here, but amenities do become an issue and I always come back to and enjoy Horseshoe Bay the best.

Horseshoe has all the amenities and if you go all the way down to the left as you enter the beach, you'll find some wide open space.

If you go even further to the left, you'll find some small coves to hang out.

There's at least one to the right too.

And, if you rent chairs and umbrellas, the guys who set them up for you will bring them where you want and you can pick the most secluded spot that you desire. Of course a tip will go a long way if you choose to go all the way down to the left.

I'm on the 6/26 Joy sailing to Bermuda and this is my plan for 2 of the 3 days we're there.

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 3

I would add another vote for Horseshoe.  I get there early,  before 9 and the crowds don't get there until 11.  I don't think the chair rental opens until 10. If walking is not a problem, the chair guys will set up chairs pretty far down the beach. It will get crowded there too eventually,  but nothing like at the entrance to the beach. 

29 minutes ago, JFontaine said:

I would add another vote for Horseshoe.  I get there early,  before 9 and the crowds don't get there until 11.  I don't think the chair rental opens until 10. If walking is not a problem, the chair guys will set up chairs pretty far down the beach. It will get crowded there too eventually,  but nothing like at the entrance to the beach. 

Good to hear that the chair guys working for the new concession will still set up the chairs at the other end. That is what I always had them do. The concession previous to the previous one we had to drag the chairs ourselves the far end. That concession had small crummy chairs. The next one had comfy chairs. I love Horseshoe. If you keep walking past the end there are beautiful secluded  coves and beaches. 

Edited by Charles4515

On 5/20/2022 at 11:19 AM, bkrickles1 said:

I'm voting for Horseshoe Bay.

I know it's the most popular with the biggest crowds, but it's the most beautiful and you can avoid the crowd if you're smart about it.

I agree, some dissenters will say "Nobody goes there any more, it's too crowded."

It's a great beach with reasonable facilities...  and you can get there easily.

• Like 2

Clearwater Beach is beautiful and our favorite. It is much less crowded than the others.

I would take the suggestion of getting a taxi from St George rather than a bus. It is in a remote area and the buses as mentioned, can be unreliable with long time stretches between them. Add this to the time taken to pick up and drop off passengers, and you are looking at time wasted.

And depending on which bus you get, you may get dropped off at the top of a hill with a long walk down to the beach. There is a bus stop close to the beach, but not all buses come down to it.

On 5/16/2022 at 6:30 PM, Charles4515 said:

Is it safe to say then that Clearwater beach has facilities?  I thought they did not but I just  read in the Excursions Listing that "Caves and Waves" goes to Clearwater/Cooper's and that beach chairs/umbrellas, food & beverage are available for rent/purchase.  My family of 50+ yo is looking to go there -- on our own, not through Excursion -- but were unclear on the amenities available.  Doesn't have to be fancy but any type of restroom and possible drink purchase would be important to us. 

I should add that we're going in July.  Perhaps in the off season is does not have facilities. 

Edited by TenForward

1 hour ago, TenForward said:

Is it safe to say then that Clearwater beach has facilities?  I thought they did not but I just  read in the Excursions Listing that "Caves and Waves" goes to Clearwater/Cooper's and that beach chairs/umbrellas, food & beverage are available for rent/purchase.  My family of 50+ yo is looking to go there -- on our own, not through Excursion -- but were unclear on the amenities available.  Doesn't have to be fancy but any type of restroom and possible drink purchase would be important to us. 

I should add that we're going in July.  Perhaps in the off season is does not have facilities. 

The concessions at beaches that have them are closed in the off season because they would not have enough customers  to be sustainable. They start opening end of April and in May. The concession at Clearwater has changed hands. That has led to some confusion. I have read that the new concession is open. So second hand I have read food, drinks and chair/umbrella rentals. Even saw a picture but it was not much showing in the picture. At this time of the year the start of the new season info tends to dribble out. Hopefuly by July someone will post a first hand report on the forum. If an excursion is listed I would take that as further confirmation. The restrooms there are going to be there conscession or not. They are public restrooms. There are also lifeguards.

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

Hi Charles... are there any private beaches offering access to cruise passengers this year? Decent properties require multinight stays and I can't justify spending $4000 to use a resort beach and pool for three afternoons ( we are required to overnight on the ship).  I have no problem spending a thousand dollars for the day or so for a decent beach if that guarantees me and my boyfriend some decent loungers, restroom facilities, cash bar and no crowds.

If that's not an option, do any of the public beaches offer cabana rentals?  

I've seen that Resort for a Day offers a Day Pass at Coco Reef, but that place looks sketchy and the reviews are terrible. I'm more of a Conrad/St Regis guy.

10 minutes ago, WKUTopperFan said:

are there any private beaches offering access to cruise passengers this year? Decent properties require multinight stays and I can't justify spending $4000 to use a resort beach and pool for three afternoons ( we are required to overnight on the ship).

There aren't any actual private beaches in Bermuda-- its really the access to them that makes some defacto private. You can in theory be on any beach if you can find a way to legally get to it without trespassing. I think one of the nicest of these is the one below the Mid Ocean Club and next to the beach that the Rosewood has their beach club at. There is an access road (with no parking so you would have to take a taxi) and you would have to just very confidently walk between the Mid Ocean Club's beach house and the Rosewood's beach pavilion. But there are no services for non guests/members-- just one of the nicest, least crowded beach on the island. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/21/2022 at 7:32 PM, trivia addict said:

Clearwater Beach is beautiful and our favorite. It is much less crowded than the others.

I would take the suggestion of getting a taxi from St George rather than a bus. It is in a remote area and the buses as mentioned, can be unreliable with long time stretches between them. Add this to the time taken to pick up and drop off passengers, and you are looking at time wasted.

And depending on which bus you get, you may get dropped off at the top of a hill with a long walk down to the beach. There is a bus stop close to the beach, but not all buses come down to it.

I  found a map of Bermuda on line.(not very big map.)  Cant find turtle bay or Tobacco bay.  Can anyone give me a clue.  Thanks

On 5/30/2022 at 9:48 PM, Charles4515 said:

The concessions at beaches that have them are closed in the off season because they would not have enough customers  to be sustainable. They start opening end of April and in May. The concession at Clearwater has changed hands. That has led to some confusion. I have read that the new concession is open. So second hand I have read food, drinks and chair/umbrella rentals. Even saw a picture but it was not much showing in the picture. At this time of the year the start of the new season info tends to dribble out. Hopefully by July someone will post a first hand report on the forum. If an excursion is listed I would take that as further confirmation. The restrooms there are going to be there concesession or not. They are public restrooms. There are also lifeguards.

Is Clearwater beach near Turtle bay??