Suite problem, trying to get corporate to listen?

djh

3 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

OR we can stop clamoring to pay and board...

bon voyage

Good point. If the service someone receives is not good that is probably what will eventually happen. Regular passengers may give the company the benefit of the doubt on the basis of great past experiences but newer customers may not.

The problem for now is that people have booked in good faith expecting the excellent service they have previously enjoyed on Celebrity. The passenger can’t do anything about that booking (well at least not in the U.K. where we lose our large deposits if we cancel and have to pay final balances several months before sailing). The cruise line can do something, stop selling last minute upgrades or filling every cabin if that would mean there are insufficient staff to passenger ratios.

While this strategy may cost in the short term it’s probably better than potentially losing customers.

Lets hope that any issues are just a temporary blip. Unfortunately they seem to be affecting most cruise lines at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/15/2022 at 1:17 PM, gold1953 said:

Perhaps Celebrity should reduce prices for suites if they cannot offer the services

Thats funny.  I LOVE Celebrity but since they have come back with Always Includes which used to be always included anyway in the suites prices have increased prices on all classes and on suites also to help cover the cost of everyone getting Always included for everyone.   

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Will K. said:

Thats funny.  I LOVE Celebrity but since they have come back with Always Includes which used to be always included anyway in the suites prices have increased prices on all classes and on suites also to help cover the cost of everyone getting Always included for everyone.   

Maybe to cover some additional costs, as well, since being locked down???

I wonder how much the increase will affect future bookings??? I suspect not much...

Any company's marketing will always evolve and change pending on what works and reflects what they want to get across AND what the public responds to accordingly.

Just a thought.

bon voyage

• Like 1

On 5/15/2022 at 10:51 AM, lovrccl said:

I agree with the fact that if we are paying the price of a suite we should expect the service. However with the issue of covid and the fact they cant seem to employ enough staff, then we simply won't cruise. We have done 4 cruises in the past 6 months and they were great. However if our June cruise suffers because of staff issues we won't book anymore until they get things fixed.  There are plenty of other ways to travel. 

Just did a cruise in a suite.  I was very disappointed.  We have done suites before with Celebrity.  Food quality has declined as well as Michael's Club bar service.  I am looking for another cruise line that will have the level of staffing, quality and will deliver what they promise.  

• Thanks 1

I've booked 21 days this summer but I only have a Balcony, is the place I cry about it. I've been in a suite one time on Royal it was great but I would rather go for 21 days vs 7 on a Balcony. 

To  the OP, try Paris or Monte Carlo next time.........................

1 hour ago, Momma Rene said:

Just did a cruise in a suite.  I was very disappointed.  We have done suites before with Celebrity.  Food quality has declined as well as Michael's Club bar service.  I am looking for another cruise line that will have the level of staffing, quality and will deliver what they promise.  

I food is your number one priority, you might want to try Oceania.  I still prefer Celebrity’s Suite experience and I have yet to experience poor service or poor food.  Maybe I have just been lucky or I have a different standard.  I know that my wife and I are low maintenance.  I have always been a little uncomfortable with all the attention.  
We will see in November if Celebrity has changed as significantly as you have indicated.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Momma Rene said:

Which ships? we did Edge and Apex both were great for service and food.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Momma Rene said:

Ask on the other forums here on CC....

bon voyage

• Like 1

I am sorry to see the number of confrontational comments directed at the OP. While I don't agree with all the worry about the long-term harm to X caused by the short-staffing (and delays, cold food, etc.), I think it was an excellent idea for the OP to talk directly to a manager about problems rather than using the survey.

It is a managerial problem. Direct feedback from an affected customer gives the manager ammunition to fight for more replacement or standby staff. Real people being seen as affected by these issues are not discounted as easily as short comments or numbers on dozens of surveys. (And dissatisfaction expressed on surveys ALWAYS first puts the front line staff member under scrutiny even when they have done everything humanly possible.)

Anyone thinking the OP was out of line needs to reread that initial post and set aside the first reaction. I am certain the manager was exceedingly grateful to have experienced cruisers provide a glimpse of what their experience was like.

Bravo!

Edited by mayleeman
  • Like 4

Perhaps, you expect too much.  I don’t make many requests on a butler/cabin attendant. While, butlers often offer services that make a cruise good, most people make few demands.  The nicest thing that a butler did for me was fix a broken wheel on my suitcase.  He noticed it when we got our luggage.  In any cabin, suite or not, I expect it be cleaned and serviced.  Empty trash, make beds, clean bathroom, replace dirty towels/linen, etc.  while, it is nice if my suite is serviced early,  I understand that if it isn’t immediate.  If you are a demanding guest,  maybe you should try an all suite ship.  There are other lines that offer very prompt service. They cost more.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I'm just off Summit.  I was in a suite.  The service and the food in Luminae were both excellent.  I also had wonderful service in my suite.

I think not.  A LOT of people ordered from the MDR rather than Luminae.  

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

Perhaps, you expect too much.  I don’t make many requests on a butler/cabin attendant. While, butlers often offer services that make a cruise good, most people make few demands.  The nicest thing that a butler did for me was fix a broken wheel on my suitcase.  He noticed it when we got our luggage.  In any cabin, suite or not, I expect it be cleaned and serviced.  Empty trash, make beds, clean bathroom, replace dirty towels/linen, etc.  while, it is nice if my suite is serviced early,  I understand that if it isn’t immediate.  If you are a demanding guest,  maybe you should try an all suite ship.  There are other lines that offer very prompt service. They cost more.  

We don’t consider ourselves high maintenance, and usually ask very little of our PRHs. We don’t expect them to be at our beck and call 24/7. If I want a cappuccino I’ll go get it myself.  In fact, many times in the past they they have said that we don’t use them enough and ask if there isn’t something more that they can do. We generally use them to make reservations, take care of laundry and sometimes afternoon canapés. When we book the penthouse as we did for  this trip, we usually host a sailway or two for a few friends and that’s about it.  BTW, we have traveled on all suite ships but Celebrity seems to suit us better. Perhaps it’s because we are not extremely demanding, 😁.

• Like 2

On 5/15/2022 at 4:58 PM, Arizona Wildcat said:

Would it be better to tell 40% of the suite passengers their cruise was cancelled?  

Maybe it would be better not to overbook suites by move up offers,  while the staffing crisis remains unsolved? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, sunlover33 said:

Maybe it would be better not to overbook suites by move up offers,  while the staffing crisis remains unsolved? 

Sounds sensible. Or at least not allocate them until close to sailing date.

3 hours ago, djh said:

We don’t consider ourselves high maintenance, and usually ask very little of our PRHs. We don’t expect them to be at our beck and call 24/7. If I want a cappuccino I’ll go get it myself.  In fact, many times in the past they they have said that we don’t use them enough and ask if there isn’t something more that they can do. We generally use them to make reservations, take care of laundry and sometimes afternoon canapés. When we book the penthouse as we did for  this trip, we usually host a sailway or two for a few friends and that’s about it.  BTW, we have traveled on all suite ships but Celebrity seems to suit us better. Perhaps it’s because we are not extremely demanding, 😁.

The thing we like about the Retreat Host/butler service is that they are only a phone call away if you need them but they are not ‘hovering’ if you don’t. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Momma Rene said:

There have been many threads about the Luminae menu. Historically there have been significant criticisms about the limited choices but few criticisms about the food quality or service. In our experience it is the limited choices on the menu and it’s ‘playful’ wording that tend to be the reason why many people order from the MDR menu.

Hence, those who have found the Luminae menu to their style and taste thoroughly enjoy whilst others choose to opt for the MDR menu. A reflection of limited choices rather than poor food quality.

Edited by chemmo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Please reread the first post and highlight for me any demands made by the OP causing you to write this. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sunlover33 said:

Yes, exactly one of my points that I was making to the guest relations manager. 

15 hours ago, Momma Rene said:

So you are saying my experience is not valid?  Only what you hear from others?  Were you actually on the ship?  Of course people order items from the MDR in Luminae.  The opportunity to mix and match items from both menus gives more variety.

Edited by Happy Cruiser 6143
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 5/15/2022 at 12:32 PM, Algebralovr said:

I know they have been struggling.  We were on Summit in December and met Daisy in the Retreat as the Retreat Concierge.  

We boarded Silhouette in February and found a note from the Retreat signed by Concierge Daisy….. hmmm same person?  When we actually got to the Retreat area, we found a different person was acting as Retreat Concierge and we were surprised.  

We asked, and learned it WAS the same Daisy… she had been transferred from Summit to Silhouette due to a shortage of staff, since Summit had had most of her winter cruises cancelled.  She was supposed to be concierge, however they had a shortage of Retreat Hosts and she was willing to slide over to Host and let someone else act as Concierge.  

The Retreat Concierge was trained to be Retreat Concierge, but was also  Concierge Class concierge as well as Captain’s Club host.  The new staffing is that there are supposed to be 2-3 people acting as Captain’s Club/Concerige host, and doing both jobs (Capt Club and Concierge) and a separate Concierge and manager for the Suites.  

Due to illnesses and such, the sailing on Silhouette ended up short one Retreat Host, even with Daisy  filling in (it would have been 2), they had only one Retreat Concierge instead of 2, and only 2 Captains Club/Concierge hosts instead of 3.  

Plus, the Suite Manager was stuck with a shadow.  A guy was shadowing her for the entire cruise learning the job of a Suite Manager on Celebrity.  He was coming in directly from a hotel in the UK to be a Suite Manager on Celebrity, having never worked on a ship before.   I vocalized that someone coming in directly as a 3-Stripe officer having never worked on a ship seemed a bit of a disaster when there were experienced Suite Concierges who should have been given the opportunity  to be promoted having worked their way up.  I got a quiet nod from the celebrity staff at that comment.  They would NEVER actually say anything but you could tell…

Anyway, they are doing their best.  There are a number of the Luminae waiters who are studying for the job of Retreat Host, but it takes time for them to study and take the book tests, then shadow the existing Hosts while they are actually on rest time, etc.  

Gee, do you remenber your first job. Give the shadow a chance. We all have to start some where. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

So you are saying my experience is not valid?  Only what you hear from others?  Were you actually on the ship?  Of course people order items from the MDR in Luminae.  The opportunity to mix and match items from both menus gives more variety.

I was on the Reflection.  I am saying that a lot of people in Luminae were not happy.  The hostess was concerned that we and others were ordering from the MDR menu.  People in Michael's Club were not happy because the bartender who was there until 5:30 pm could not make a drink or understand English.  People went to the bar and showed him how to make a drink.  I've been in suites on Celebrity three times.  This experience, costing at $10,000 left me feeling that I should get a different line.  

Things are different now for suites on Celebrity.  I am disappointed.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Momma Rene said:

I was on the Reflection.  I am saying that a lot of people in Luminae were not happy.  The hostess was concerned that we and others were ordering from the MDR menu.  People in Michael's Club were not happy because the bartender who was there until 5:30 pm could not make a drink or understand English.  People went to the bar and showed him how to make a drink.  I've been in suites on Celebrity three times.  This experience, costing at $10,000 left me feeling that I should get a different line.  

I'm sorry you did not enjoy your experience on the Reflection.  I hope you find a line that you like better.  Luminae on the Summit was a very happy place--best maitre d' I've ever experienced on a Celebrity cruise.  No judgment about which menus we ordered from.  The only problem was that I apparently drank up all their non-alcoholic champagne on the first leg.  None available on the second leg, although they did have non-alcoholic wines available.  I just like the bubbles better.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

The only problem was that I apparently drank up all their non-alcoholic champagne on the first leg.  None available on the second leg, although they did have non-alcoholic wines available.  I just like the bubbles better.

We like the Fre’  sparkling as well.  The others are acceptable,  but the sparkling is good.  I’ve gotten a bit of a look of shock from one of the sommeliers but that is his problem.  He wanted to sell bottles.  Paid a lot more attention to those who bought bottles. 

3 hours ago, Momma Rene said:

From what I am reading/hearing from other lines, right now, the problems are not just Celebrity. You may fair better just sitting out cruising for awhile until (hopefully) things balance themselves in terms of staffing, etc.  Best of luck! ❤️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1