New policy on Celebrity: 2 bottles of wine PER GUEST ! allowed on embarkation. Will Royal follow ?

I’ve been watching these boards for many weeks but it looks like nobody noticed these changes. I even heard that crew onboard was not aware of this.

On Celebrity FAQ’s page (see picture) they now mention that guests are allowed to bring 2 bottles of wine per person (not per stateroom as before) on embarkation.

Is there a chance that Royal will follow?

In my opinion for Celebrity this must be a double saving as because nowadays most people on X do have a drink package included and therefore guests eventually may drink 12 glasses of wine less from package and get extra money from corkage fee from guests without package.

On RCL probably less people will have a drink package so they might have a different approach.

Screenshot Celebrity FAQs 05-10-2022.jpg

20 minutes ago, johnjen said:

We already do this anyway. I always assumed it was two per person - so it's two per cabin? ooops!

I think we are going to try this on our next cruise.  I've never had wine in my carry-on inspected - just "checked off the list".  I am very good at playing dumb, and my wife drinks cheap wine, so if we have to give up any, we'll leave hers behind.  

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, johnjen said:

I always assumed it was two per person

That's because de facto it kinda is since the port personnel very rarely deny anyone above the policy allowance.

Biker, who is waiting for someone to chime in with the exception.

Edited by Biker19
  • Thanks 1

We would just normally split up in the security line so no questions.  My daughter and her bf went and they were in 2 different rooms so they were allowed 4 bottles, they went through together and was stopped and told they would have to leave their extra 2 bottles.  Port people would not listen to them saying they were in 2 different rooms, until a supervisor came over and looked at the set sail passes.  So they do check.

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

That's because de facto it kinda is since the port personnel very rarely deny anyone above the policy allowance.

And, if you really think about it, how would they know anyway? One has 2 bottles in their carry-on; the other partner has 2 in their carry-on.

2 hours ago, rudeney said:

I think we are going to try this on our next cruise.  I've never had wine in my carry-on inspected - just "checked off the list".  I am very good at playing dumb, and my wife drinks cheap wine, so if we have to give up any, we'll leave hers behind.  

Same here. I'd play dumb if caught, saying, "oh, I thought it was two per guest, just go ahead and keep the other two in the naughty room for us" even if they outright confiscate - hey, that's someone drinking it who probably needed it more than we did.

58 minutes ago, johnjen said:

And, if you really think about it, how would they know anyway? One has 2 bottles in their carry-on; the other partner has 2 in their carry-on.

Plus, they could each put two in their checked luggage as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, molly361 said:

You should see me trying to get my case of Coors Light bottles thru security  YIKES😇

I am assuming that if you were trying to smuggle something good they might stop you....

• Like 1

On 5/20/2022 at 11:32 AM, irishgal432 said:

We would just normally split up in the security line so no questions.  My daughter and her bf went and they were in 2 different rooms so they were allowed 4 bottles, they went through together and was stopped and told they would have to leave their extra 2 bottles.  Port people would not listen to them saying they were in 2 different rooms, until a supervisor came over and looked at the set sail passes.  So they do check.

Interesting strategy. Thanks.

On 5/20/2022 at 2:12 PM, neverbeenhere said:

With 5 drunks a day, free bottles of wine and sometimes staying in a suite, additional  alcohol is not a priority. (Not to mention all the discounts on our cards) 

I’m thinking Royal has more drunks a day than 5. 🤣🥂🍾

• Haha 5

Just now, raiceam said:

do they carry alcohol on the ship on duty free? Can we buy from there? we didn't buy an alcoholic beverage package on the ship

Welcome to CC.

Yes and yes, but you can't consume it on board. 

On 5/20/2022 at 10:49 AM, Biker19 said:

Except in San Juan. We were on a b2b, and had 4 bottles of wine, and the printed set sail passes for the second cruise and they took 2 bottles and gave them to us on the last night of cruise #1. But you are right, the other 10 times, no questions asked....

Even though X falls under RCI, it doesn't mean they have the same "rules".  We don't bother carrying wine anymore.  We took a couple of bottles a few times, but honestly, it's just a hassle.  It does help that as D+ with over 340 pts we get two C&A gifts so we just make those both wine (at least on cruises that are long enough) plus 5 free drinks a day.  On our 6 night, we only get one but that's fine.  Otherwise, we use our D+ drink coupons, but even before that, we just paid for any drinks.  Alcohol is not the be all end all.

• Like 1

Does anyone know what the current prices are for alcohol drinks on board?  For instance...a simple gin and tonic?  The unlimited drink package seems HIGH, so wondering if $ per drink is now up.

37 minutes ago, paul1815 said:

Does anyone know what the current prices are for alcohol drinks on board?  For instance...a simple gin and tonic?  The unlimited drink package seems HIGH, so wondering if $ per drink is now up.

Gin is between $9.99-11.99, not sure what the tonic would cost with that. 

According to the RC App, a Tom Collins is $13

above prices don’t include automatic 18% gratuity

Edited by doppelganger2621
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, raiceam said:

do they carry alcohol on the boat on duty free? Can we buy from there? we didn't buy an alcoholic beverage package on the boat

When you buy liquor from the store on the ship, they will hold it for you and deliver it to your cabin on the last night of the cruise.  You can take it home, but you won't be able to drink it on your cruise.