Specialty Restaurant menu changes?

canadarocks

Upon checking my Navigator app for the Rotterdam, I've noticed quite a few changes at the Specialty Restaurants. Not sure if it is a fleet wide thing or because of Rotterdam's current location in Northern Europe.... or I'm just slow to notice menu changes that perhaps are not new at all. LOL 

But using Crew News excellent website as a reference, there are definitely some differences:

Canaletto - the Friday Special is no longer Chicken Curry. Now it is "Veal Florentine Cannelloni with spinach, pomodoro sauce & Gran Padano"

- under Large Plates the Lobster & Shrimp Ravioli are gone, replaced by "Spaghetti All 'Astice" with an $18 supplemental charge

- under Small Plates there is now Jumbo Lump Crab risotto with a $12 supplemental charge (this I know is NOT new)

Pinnacle Grill (Dinner) - new Appetizer of "Panko Fried Stuffed Mushroom Caps w/ Beyond Meat mince, vegan mayo remoulade sauce & parsley"

- 18 ounce Porterhouse is gone, replaced with a 15 ounce Boneless Ribeye

- David Burke's Braised Short Ribs with Mushroom Cavatappi is gone

- Alaskan King Crab Legs is gone, replaced with a 12 ounce Maine Lobster Tail with a $20 supplement

- new Entree of "Beyond Meat Ground Beef Steak with chermoula vinaigrette, tomato-cucumber bulgur wheat salad"

- David Burke's Broiled Lobster with Corn and Bacon Crepes is gone

Tamarind - under Starters there is now "Thai Citrus Scallops w/ cilantro, palm sugar, shallots" (instead of the Ginger & Scallion Alaskan Crab legs)

Rudi's Sel De Mer - under Entrees the Clams Au Beurre is gone

- the Fresh Whole Lobster is now listed as just Whole Lobster

- under Specialties the Salt Crusted Baked Branzino is gone 

I'm very happy about the Canaletto Friday Special change.... not so much with the Pinnacle Grill changes. Perhaps they are Rotterdam specific based on location?

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, canadarocks said:

Upon checking my Navigator app for the Rotterdam, .........................................................................I've noticed quite a few changes at the Specialty Restaurants. Not sure if it is a fleet wide thing or because of Rotterdam's current location in Northern Europe.... 

BPerhaps they are Rotterdam specific based on location?

JMO: based on location. And I am very happy that The Librije is back now ms Rotterdam is in European waters.

• Like 1

Food has trends and updates just like fashion.  For every complaint about the change on the menu there are probably equal complaints about the never changing menus.  It is always good to ask if an old favorite might still be available.  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

Food has trends and updates just like fashion.  For every complaint about the change on the menu there are probably equal complaints about the never changing menus.  It is always good to ask if an old favorite might still be available.  

This!!! Change happens. 

I understand that HAL fans will except just about any change without much of a whimper.  But the nickel and diming (except we are not talking about just nickels and dimes) on HAL just screams for comment.  HAL seems to be moving towards a business plan where gruel will be the normal menu item and everything else will have add-on prices.   It is no longer good enough to pay a supplement for alternative dining venues but now we pay supplements, add-ons to the supplements, and strong hints for extra tipping on top of the daily charges, alternative supplements, add-ons, etc.

Had to smile about the "fresh" Whole Lobster.  That means there would need to be a tank of live lobsters on the ship and we have never heard that this exists on HAL. 

When we were recently on Seabourn (Ovation) we met quite a few HAL cruisers and the conversation always seemed to go to the same place.  The nickel and diming (on HAL) is driving folks to the luxury lines where nickel and diming is at a minimum or does not exist.  $400 per passenger/day on Seabourn can actually be less expensive than $300 per person/day on HAL.  And one can quickly get spoiled when the steak served in a main dining room on a luxury line is of far better quality then the steak served in the Pinnacle (where you will pay an extra fee plus add-ons).

It is difficult to know where the mass market lines are heading in the current market.  Rapidly increasing prices for fuel, food, staff, etc. have forced the lines to make major adjustments.  Prices must either increase (in a big way) or quality is going to suffer (in a big way).  But this trend of add-on prices threatens to change then entire mass market cruise experience.  

Hank

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I understand that HAL fans will except just about any change without much of a whimper.  But the nickel and diming (except we are not talking about just nickels and dimes) on HAL just screams for comment.  HAL seems to be moving towards a business plan where gruel will be the normal menu item and everything else will have add-on prices.   It is no longer good enough to pay a supplement for alternative dining venues but now we pay supplements, add-ons to the supplements, and strong hints for extra tipping on top of the daily charges, alternative supplements, add-ons, etc.

Had to smile about the "fresh" Whole Lobster.  That means there would need to be a tank of live lobsters on the ship and we have never heard that this exists on HAL. 

When we were recently on Seabourn (Ovation) we met quite a few HAL cruisers and the conversation always seemed to go to the same place.  The nickel and diming (on HAL) is driving folks to the luxury lines where nickel and diming is at a minimum or does not exist.  $400 per passenger/day on Seabourn can actually be less expensive than $300 per person/day on HAL.  And one can quickly get spoiled when the steak served in a main dining room on a luxury line is of far better quality then the steak served in the Pinnacle (where you will pay an extra fee plus add-ons).

It is difficult to know where the mass market lines are heading in the current market.  Rapidly increasing prices for fuel, food, staff, etc. have forced the lines to make major adjustments.  Prices must either increase (in a big way) or quality is going to suffer (in a big way).  But this trend of add-on prices threatens to change then entire mass market cruise experience.  

Hank

I don’t disagree with some of your points.  I know some posters feel that supply chain issues are driving changes. Its getting hard to believe that after almost a year.  It seems other cruise lines including those under the carnival umbrella are having no such issues.   Hal wants to charge extra for some items in the mdr to make extra cash.  I will not be paying as I’d prefer to spend that money at a specialty restaurant where I feel the food tends to be better.  What I don’t agree with is comparing premium lines with the mainstream.  While you may get some cruises for $400 per day with seaborne I suspect that you have to cherry pick to find that price.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I don’t disagree with some of your points.  I know some posters feel that supply chain issues are driving changes. Its getting hard to believe that after almost a year.  It seems other cruise lines including those under the carnival umbrella are having no such issues.   Hal wants to charge extra for some items in the mdr to make extra cash.  I will not be paying as I’d prefer to spend that money at a specialty restaurant where I feel the food tends to be better.  What I don’t agree with is comparing premium lines with the mainstream.  While you may get some cruises for $400 per day with seaborne I suspect that you have to cherry pick to find that price. 

You are correct that finding lower cost luxury cruises does mean "cherry picking" just like it does on mass market lines :). Our most recent SB cruise actually cost somewhat less than $400 per person/day and we actually were not able to use up all of our onboard credit (given as a promotion and by our cruise agency).  Compare the cost of the Voyage of the Vikings with a normal Caribbean or Alaskan itinerary and you will see my point.  The lowest cost Signature Suite on the July 2023 Voyage of the Vikings cruise costs over $500 per person/day and that does not even include a drink package!  Also keep in mind that when comparing HAL to Seabourn one would probably need to compare to a Signature Suite with a premium drink package + tips (there is no tipping on Seabourn or most luxury lines).  And also consider that Seabourn offers unlimited decent Caviar (no add on) with French Champagne (no add on) among other amenities.  When our Seabourn stewardess discovered that I like cognac a bottle of decent cognac appeared in my cabin (no add on).  My goodness, I can pay a small fortune for a Neptune Suite and HAL is still not going to give me caviar, champagne and a bottle of cognac.  In fact, they are not going to give me a free adult drink in the Neptune Lounge!

But I did not want to get into an argument about value other than to point out that some of us have discovered that moving up to luxury lines may now be the sweet spot in terms of cruise value.  Where we used to think that HAL was a terrific value we are now not so sure.  Being on a small ship (desired by many HAL cruisers) where there are no add-ons in any dining venue (and no fees for alternative restaurants) is a nice experience.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Most people know that the voyage of the vikings probably one  of the most expensive hal cruises.  Let's compare like cruises such as Alaska to Alaska.

Ok, but I would need to go back until just prior to COVID when we took our first Seabourn cruise which was a 14 day Seward to Vancouver voyage.  That cruise cost us about $340 per passenger day (still have the invoice).  I have no idea what a SY (or other Signature Suite) would have cost on HAL that same year but suspect that the suite plus drinks plus tips plus add on's would have been at least $340 per passenger day.

But why the resistance :).   We have no issue with HAL (we are 5* Mariners) and have a 42 day Westy cruise booked next March.  We also have a Seabourn cruise to Antarctica booked which goes to places that those who only cruise on HAL can only read about.   We just would suggest that cruisers should expand their horizons, look beyond their norms, and they may be surprised  at what is available.  Those of us who have cruised for a long time (we have been cruising about 50 years) have seen numerous changes within the cruise industry.  I think COVID has spurred more major changes (especially in terms of value).  So, for example, we have a lot of interest in MSC's new luxury spin-off cruise line which is called "Explora Journeys."  Why?  Our preference is for smaller ships (although we also cruise on sure huge ships) and Explora Journeys new ships (they are currently building 4) will hold about 900 passengers.  The smallest suites will be about 370 square feet and it will be a luxury line building on MSC's Yacht Club experience.  

There is a big cruise world beyond HAL and we are having a difficult time accepting all this nickel/diming that has become too common on HAL.  This is just not the HAL we used to know.

Hank

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Every time I look at a luxury cruise line pricing it is multiples of hal.  I would have no issue with trying another cruise line.  I’ve cruised extensively with Princess and have cruised with celebrity and carnival.  The pricing it out of reach for the luxury lines.

To get back to the original subject I would love to know which menu(s) have changed.  Anyone?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

To get back to the original subject I would love to know which menu(s) have changed.  Anyone?

Oosterdam, Europe sailings, are showing menus exactly as the OP stated. 

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Thanks so more tweaks than changes.  I was hoping for different items, especially the tamarind desserts.  They used to be more to my liking.

No chocolate desserts makes me sad.  I used to love the fortune cookie and chocolate ginger pudding.  

1 hour ago, swin26 said:

No chocolate desserts makes me sad.  I used to love the fortune cookie and chocolate ginger pudding.  

I’m so with you on that.  While I’m not a mousse fan I loved that tamarind chocolate.  Also loved the mini Thai doughnuts that they used to have.  When I’d get that fortune cookie I felt like I was 5 because I had more chocolate on my face and hands then I ate but it was good. When tamarind first started it was the size of your head 😛.  I love cheesecake but that yuku cheesecake doesn’t resemble cheesecake in any way.

16 hours ago, MAVIP said:

The Librije is back now ms Rotterdam is in European waters.

This was the absolute most disappointing dinner I have ever experienced on a Holland America Line ship in my cruising career.  To make it worse, it was a special birthday dinner.  Where and when?  Eurodam during a Viking Passage cruise  from Amsterdam to New York.  

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

This was the absolute most disappointing dinner I have ever experienced on a Holland America Line ship in my cruising career.  To make it worse, it was a special birthday dinner.  Where and when?  Eurodam during a Viking Passage cruise  from Amsterdam to New York.  

Ours is different. And of course I cannot judge yours as unknown I am about the availability of welltrained cooks etc. during your trip. Maybe you can compare your experience by reserving the original ***Michelin restaurant in NL next time you visit Europe? 

17 hours ago, MAVIP said:

Ours is different. And of course I cannot judge yours as unknown I am about the availability of welltrained cooks etc. during your trip. Maybe you can compare your experience by reserving the original ***Michelin restaurant in NL next time you visit Europe? 

No.  I would not do that at a restaurant owned/operated by this Chef.  I do not care for deconstructed cuisine.  Probably all of his cuisine is not of that type.  But, I was sufficiently disappointed that I wouldn't ever consider doing so when there are other options available that I think would be more satisfactory for me.  

On 5/21/2022 at 9:26 AM, Florida_gal_50 said:

I’ve looked at all the specialty restaurant menus on navigator for my cruise.  That said I’m not going to Europe.  The only change I’m seeing is the addition of scallops to the pinnacle.  What are other posters seeing?  Thanks.

No changes to the menus for Nieuw Amsterdam in September.  Might be a temporary Europe issue.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

No.  I would not do that at a restaurant owned/operated by this Chef.  I do not care for deconstructed cuisine.  Probably all of his cuisine is not of that type.  But, I was sufficiently disappointed that I wouldn't ever consider doing so when there are other options available that I think would be more satisfactory for me.  

Of course, tastes differ and luckily so, otherwise we would have to reserve even longuer than 2 years ahead 😋

• Like 2

17 hours ago, MAVIP said:

Of course, tastes differ

I blame myself in a way because I knew that "deconstructed cuisine" was what was going to be presented.  I had no idea what those two words meant until I was presented with such.  This special dinner was going to be "special" because I would learn something new.  That "goal" was achieved. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1