Status of Ships

sarlin

Good morning,

My DH is immno-compromised.  Needless to say we have bot cruised since Covid arrived.  We have a cruise scheduled in early July in a Haven suite on the Breakway.

My question is, has anyone NOT gotten Covid in the last 2 or 3 weeks while cruising or shortly after they got home from a trip?

We are vaxxed and boosted and will mask up.  We are OK with not even getting opff the ship.  Or should we cancecl the cruise?-Like many of you we have booked and cancelled so many cruises over the last few years and really want to GO!!!!!!

Sarlin

23 minutes ago, sarlin said:

Good morning,

My DH is immno-compromised.  Needless to say we have bot cruised since Covid arrived.  We have a cruise scheduled in early July in a Haven suite on the Breakway.

My question is, has anyone NOT gotten Covid in the last 2 or 3 weeks while cruising or shortly after they got home from a trip?

We are vaxxed and boosted and will mask up.  We are OK with not even getting opff the ship.  Or should we cancecl the cruise?-Like many of you we have booked and cancelled so many cruises over the last few years and really want to GO!!!!!!

Sarlin

Hi Sarlin, my DH and I cruised Alaska on the Bliss 4/30 - 5/7 with two other couples and knew three other couples that were also on our ship (crazy - 12 ppl from the same small town in FL on the same Alaskan cruise). Anyway - none of us developed COVID (or Norovirus) during or after our cruise or cross-country flights (thank you, Jesus!). We took advantage of the 'washy-washy' stations around the boat and used the hand sanitizer every time we passed one. We made conscious efforts to not use the hand rails on the stairs and used knuckles to press elevator buttons. I brought a little hand sanitizer in my purse for use when we'd be in port. We weren't masked unless required - which was pretty much just on the bus tour of Victoria. 

The idea of COVID is soooo scary. (At one point, my county had more new COVID cases than anywhere else in the US. We know many people who have lost their battles with COVID. Our eldest daughter had a terrifying battle with it during Delta - her hair is just growing back (yes, weird symptom was loss of hair)).  

May you have peace with whatever decision you make in terms of cruising. ❤️ 

• Like 2

I have been on 5 international trips including 1 ocean cruise (the Bliss) and a 16 day river cruise that ended on May 2nd. Have never tested  positive for covid.  We are leaving in 3 weeks for a 9 day group tour of the Canadian rockies and a week in northern Washington to visit family and friends and then an Alaskan cruise on the Encore.  We did catch a cold while on the river cruise but twice tested negative for Covid. I have ordered the free self tests from the government to check for covid in case we get sniffles again on this trip.

Edited by rhapsodybluezz

1 hour ago, sarlin said:

Good morning,

Is this a serious question?  I hope not and that you don't actually believe every person cruising right now,  thousands of them, all got covid after or during their cruise. If you're that nervous I would cancel. 

Edited by tallnthensome
  • Like 2

Read the thread "How are covid cases on NCL ships". There are 6 pages of stories of covid cases.

Why would you risk it? Especially in July. Usually crowded in summer time. Just wait it out a little longer.

Be safe...be healthy.

6 hours ago, sarlin said:

Good morning,

Sarlin

We can relate!  My DH has COPD so we haven't been on a big trip for over two years. We just returned on 5/18 from 11 days on the Anthem and then five in England. I have to be honest, things seemed just peachy for the first six days. Then, passengers coughing and reports of positive cases. By day 8, the captain said there were nine cases.

Things start to get a little crazy when this happens. By the end of the cruise and on the bus to London, there was a lot of coughing and of course, none of them masked up. In London, the coughing on mass transportation was negligible. We managed to be COVID and symptom free the entire time, but we follow all the recommendations and are double boosted. We do NOT wear mask all the time though, just on some mass transportation. We also have a supplement protocol and bring our medical kit with us.

It does seem as though the COVID cases have been shooting up by day seven on many cruise ships. On a seven day cruise, that is the time to get off and then go home. The policies are also changing. Some cruise lines kick you off at the first opportunity while some countries refuse COVID cases and force the cruise lines to keep you!  

A piece of advice: if you choose to go, stay apart from strangers. We played trivia with two couples from Scotland and I know the one lady wasn't being honest. She missed a day because of a headache and when she returned, she was coughing a lot.  We sat away from them. Most like her say they have seasonal allergies but we were at sea for six days straight...uh, no pollen.  We also witness security in our hallway confronting a woman who was refusing to let the room attendant in. We suspect she was trying to keep her illness hidden. After day six, we began to stay away from others except our symptom free dining partners.

Generally, we went about England with few concerns. It was a sigh of relief to get those negative COVID tests for our return!

That said, we made it just fine and had a wonderful time. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

See post #2.   🙂

I saw that, but I added a couple of additional comments myself. 

Like summer time travel is busier. And maybe want to wait.

Just trying to be helpful.

Thank you.

9 hours ago, sarlin said:

Good morning,

Sarlin

The haven 'may' give you some shelter from the crowds, which is a good thing. 

Along with taking a look at what people are saying here, especially those who've been cruising AND are immunocompromised, I would have a frank talk with our wife's doctor or oncologist or pneumonologist about your trip.

As others have said, make sure you wash your hands often and NEVER bring your hands up to your face, a practice that us health clinicians abide by.  You may want to bring some self-tests for peace of mind. 

My daughter and I sailed on the Bliss Mid April in the Haven and fortunately we did not get sick. The ship had only about 1200 people on board, and being in the Haven and enjoying our suite gave us plenty of room. Unfortunately all of our entertainment was cancelled for that cruise, including the Pour House lounge (the British one- not sure if that's the name).. I believe the entertainment staff had covid but I don't know for sure, so we weren't in close proximity to anyone for anything. Oh we did go to the comedy shows - they did have those. But we had room away from others since the cruise was low capacity. Looks like since, all of the shows returned about 2 weeks after.

I have taken three cruises in the last six months, one of which was the Gem out of New York during the last big wave of COVID when the CDC was recommending against taking cruises. I have yet to contract COVID, but we also wore our masks throughout the ship except when eating and drinking. We also tried to distance ourselves when we could. That being said, our cruises were only at 25-40% capacity, so it was easy to socially distance ourselves from others.

I am immune deficient, abide by the rules, have taken 1 cruise and 1 land based holiday since September

I never wear a mask now except on flights or instructed too, I noticed on a flight last week nobody was demanding masks to be worn, and Spain shortly will be allowing unvaccinated people to have holidays, when was the last person to catch covid seriously poorly?

OP, I think you have missed the sweet spot by a few months, when cruises restarted, at lower capacity whilst still being on the very edge for Covid-19 safety/personal hygiene. Now there's increased capacity, lower moral, buffets going self service again, etc.
We had a blast on Royal in February right after the mask went optional. Traveling to Florida with extended family was quite a tensive thing with all the surges (and luckily also decline in cases) and testing but we all stayed healthy.

The risks seems higher me to me now, although the illness seems to be getting less everyday. But with an weakened immune system the risk might be still high but that is one thing only you can assess. Our next cruise is a Med cruise in August, in Celebrity's Retreat and a bit closer to home and just the two of us so any complications would be more managable.

Staying in the Haven could reduce any contacts, keep sanitizing hands, bring some self tests to monitor a cough, cold or sniff etc.

How is your current daily life and approach of it, perhaps that is a good indicator for deciding to take or cancel the cruise? Back here we manage to run it like Covid-19 has been out of this world. At least for now.. :classic_sleep: 

On 5/21/2022 at 5:12 AM, sarlin said:

Good morning,

Sarlin

We cruised in April (7 day Pacific Coastal on Princess). We did not get Covid-19, but I worried about it all the time based on the other passengers. We were in a minority wearing masks. We altered our behavior to suit; did not attend shows in the theater and ate later when we could get seated at least a few feet away from others. Ate some meals in the buffet where we could find a less crowded place to unmask and eat. (I am high risk, and worry about side effects or death even though I am fully vaxxed and have had two boosters).

I don't know when we'll cruise again, but we'll do the same - find a way to dine other than in a crowded dining room, mask, avoid the theater, etc. We still enjoyed the experience.

I have been on 4 cruises in the last 8 months: 1 from Barcelona (masked), 2 from Miami (1 masked 1 not) and a TA from NY (not masked). On all cruises there was a small percentage of passengers that tested positive but we were not affected.

We kept our distance from people, we normally avoid crowds anyway so that was easy. The only time that you couldn't socially distance was in the elevators.  

I am happy taking the risk, I am doing another cruise from UK next month but I am fully vaccinated and boosted with no underlying conditions. In your position I would have to consider my position carefully.

If you do decide to go I am sure you will have a great time but it may be a different experience to previously.  In the dining rooms/restaurants make sure you tell the person assigning seating that you are immuno compromised and request a table away from others, it won't be a problem because the ships are not full. In the theatre choose seats on the right or left right at the end of the row so people are not walking past you rather than in the popular, crowded centre section. Arrive late to the comedy club and duelling pianos so you can assess the crowds and decide whether or not to go in.

I do hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2022 at 8:37 AM, ColeThornton said:

Recent thread.....

Word of caution... Ships currently sailing in Europe do not show up on the CDC report. I have not found yet where they could be listed or the equivalent of the CDC for Europe