Testing Site at Canada Place closing

SharonN

33 minutes ago, Storylady said:

You could also get PCR test at home the day before your flight. It would be expensive, but maybe the hassle is worth the price. PCR tests are okay 3 days before cruise if you are up to date with your vaccinations. Check HAL website.

Wouldn't an antigen test at a home location before their flight on Friday also be ok for a Sunday cruise? That works out to 2 days (if up to date on vax).

Edited by PSR
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, PSR said:

Wouldn't an antigen test at a home location before their flight on Friday also be ok for a Sunday cruise? That works out to 2 days (if up to date on vax).

Of course it would if they have time. Someone already suggested an antigen test two days before. But if there isn’t time to do before flight and they are concerned about after flight. Then a PCR 3 days before might be worth it. 

2 minutes ago, Storylady said:

Of course it would if they have time. Someone already suggested an antigen test two days before. But if there isn’t time to do before flight and they are concerned about after flight. Then a PCR 3 days before might be worth it. 

Sorry. I had seen the previous comment about an antigen test, but it seemed to imply getting it on Friday at the Vancouver Airport and they didn't have time for that. I wasn't sure that they understood that they could also get one on Friday AM that would be valid for the cruise.

Maybe it's just me thinking that HAL should be more helpful in this situation...but could HAL not recommend testing sites that would help their passengers board the ship?  I know that we all need to take responsibility for our travel requirements, but a lot of people are jumping thru a lot of hoops to take cruises and other vacations.  JMO. Cherie

32 minutes ago, Boatdrill said:

I just emailed CVM Medical  to ask about the Convention Center closure, and the status of my confirmed appointment on July 6 after I get off the Zuiderdam.   Their reply came immediately.

Good Day!

Thank you for contacting CVM Medical.  Please know that your message has been received and we are doing our utmost to return your message in a timely fashion.

If you are writing regarding your rescheduled Vancouver Convention Centre appointment.  We are working through these as fast as we can.  We are working date by date.  Your appointments will be scheduled to the same date and time as your previous appointments unless other wise specified.

Antigen Tests will all be rescheduled to Vancouver International Airport

3211 Grant McConachie Way

L:evel 3 – end of US departures, counters 289 to 298

Before security

Richmond BC  V7B 0A4

PCR tests will all be rescheduled to our Richmond location

7311 Westminster Hwy

8th Floor – Skyview Room

Richmond BC V6X 1A3

We thank you for your patience during these unexpected times.

Hope they are adding more nurses to do the tests. You would think the Convention Center would be the perfect site. What a mess!  Really glad, we booked our flight home two days after the cruise. And anyone from US that is booking a flight, might consider changing their flights to Seattle and taking a bus.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cccole said:

Maybe it's just me thinking that HAL should be more helpful in this situation...but could HAL not recommend testing sites that would help their passengers board the ship?  I know that we all need to take responsibility for our travel requirements, but a lot of people are jumping thru a lot of hoops to take cruises and other vacations.  JMO. Cherie

Also, not everyone is comfortable with doing a proctored test with or without slow internet! The majority of the cruise lines are doing the same. I would be willing to pay for the test onboard. But that isn’t an option.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SharonN said:

Sorry I know I'm venting and am trying to calm down (it's been a crazy week in general). I don't have a problem with having to get a test before boarding. I think it should be required so not blaming the US or HAL.  

You’re allowed to vent, and I would be too. It’s good to know that the convention centre is no longer testing - we had planned on using that ourselves. If they have taken payment for testing at that site, but then closed it down, then they really should be refunding you. There should be a way to initiate this process - heading out to the airport is a hassle, and there are testing options downtown. Good luck.

@cccMaybe it's just me thinking that HAL should be more helpful in this situation...but could HAL not recommend testing sites that would help their passengers board the ship?  I know that we all need to take responsibility for our travel requirements, but a lot of people are jumping thru a lot of hoops to take cruises and other vacations.  JMO. Cherie

I’ve had this thought for a while as well - completely agree.  Liz

Edited by TheLizardHouse

27 minutes ago, cccole said:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

It is also required by Canada to board a cruise ship

2 hours ago, SharonN said:

Sorry I know I'm venting and am trying to calm down (it's been a crazy week in general). I don't have a problem with having to get a test before boarding. I think it should be required so not blaming the US or HAL. The problem is that Vancouver set up a test site, took appointments and payments, and then at the last minute closes down the site with little to no alternatives. They are not answering emails or phone calls about the rescheduling. We're staying at the Pan Pacific and they aren't taking apts.  At this point my husband is insisting we just go back to the airport since they've (supposedly) reschedule us there so I guess that's what we'll do. Sure not the way I wanted to start our first trip in over 2 years but hopefully we'll get past this and the cruise itself will be good.  

Apologies.  For some reason I interpreted that you were flying back to the US; not that you were boarding the ship.  If you are unable to get one done prior to departing the airport then do click on the link in my first post to save you from having to travel back to the airport.  I will be happy when covid testing is dispensed with for boostered passengers as all these hoops we are jumping through are tiring.

• Like 3

With HAL suddenly closing down it's onboard testing, and now the abrupt closure of the Convention Center testing site,  disembarking guests are being herded like sheep to the airport for testing. 

HAL gave no reason for their policy change, and CVM Medical has provided no explanation for theirs. Who's pulling the levers behind the curtain ?

CVM Medical ended their email to me with this creepy note "We thank you for your patience during these unexpected times."   🤨  

That bus to Seattle is looking pretty good right now !

Edited by Boatdrill
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Boatdrill said:

With HAL suddenly closing down it's onboard testing, and now the abrupt closure of the Convention Center testing site,  disembarking guests are being herded like sheep to the airport for testing. 

HAL gave no reason for their policy change, and CVM Medical has provided no explanation for theirs. Who's pulling the levers behind the curtain ?

CVM Medical ended their email to me with this creepy note "We thank you for your patience during these unexpected times."   🤨  

That bus to Seattle is looking pretty good right now !

I feel for Americans in this situation but I believe all cruise lines decided to stop doing this.  I’m not saying it’s right.  This is the kind of “fun”  us Canadians have had to endure when coming back to Canada until recently so I totally feel your pain.  Hopefully the op can find a solution.  I agree  with the other poster that suggested having the test at the airport before going to the hotel and taking a taxi.  It will be cheaper than taking it both ways the next day.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. We leave too early on Fri to be able to get the test done here and have too many other apts scheduled to try and get the PCR done tomorrow. So I think our plan is to check when we get to Vancouver on Fri to see if we can get it done there before heading to the hotel assuming we can find some way to notify HAL and see how that impacts our getting to the hotel. We booked our flight and hotel with them to make things "easier" which it would have been but... If that doesn't work then we'll see if the hotel has any other ideas and if not we'll head back to the airport on Sat. One site would have let me book 1 apt but not for 2 of us. Maybe if we go early when they first open it would be better. Who knows. 

As for our return flight (we're doing a back to back) from Vancouver we have apts scheduled at Canada Place that morning since we have a late flight. Have booked the "tour" that includes luggage transfer, the HOHO (knowing we won't have time for that part) and Sky Train tickets to the airport. So will probably cancel that and take a HAL transfer to the airport. 

I guess I forgot to mention that the email indicates our apts will "automatically' be transferred to the Airport site at the same time (though it would be nice to be able to confirm it but they're not answering the phone and returning the voice or email messages) and that we'll be refunded our pre-payment and the tests will now be free so at least they aren't keeping our payments if we find another way. I'd rather have to pay and get them where/when I scheduled them but... we'll get thru this I'm sure. Thanks for letting me vent and giving me a few ideas. 

6 minutes ago, SharonN said:

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. We leave too early on Fri to be able to get the test done here and have too many other apts scheduled to try and get the PCR done tomorrow. So I think our plan is to check when we get to Vancouver on Fri to see if we can get it done there before heading to the hotel assuming we can find some way to notify HAL and see how that impacts our getting to the hotel. We booked our flight and hotel with them to make things "easier" which it would have been but... If that doesn't work then we'll see if the hotel has any other ideas and if not we'll head back to the airport on Sat. One site would have let me book 1 apt but not for 2 of us. Maybe if we go early when they first open it would be better. Who knows. 

As for our return flight (we're doing a back to back) from Vancouver we have apts scheduled at Canada Place that morning since we have a late flight. Have booked the "tour" that includes luggage transfer, the HOHO (knowing we won't have time for that part) and Sky Train tickets to the airport. So will probably cancel that and take a HAL transfer to the airport. 

I guess I forgot to mention that the email indicates our apts will "automatically' be transferred to the Airport site at the same time (though it would be nice to be able to confirm it but they're not answering the phone and returning the voice or email messages) and that we'll be refunded our pre-payment and the tests will now be free so at least they aren't keeping our payments if we find another way. I'd rather have to pay and get them where/when I scheduled them but... we'll get thru this I'm sure. Thanks for letting me vent and giving me a few ideas. 

Hal shouldn’t have any problem with you taking your own transportation.  Usually someone will be waiting for you at the airport.  Now this might work in your favour because when I’ve had transportation sometimes they seem to wait a really long time to get all the passengers coming in around the same time.  If there is a bit of waiting time you may have time to get the test while you are waiting.  Of course my experience with transportation with hal was prior to covid so it may not be relevant.  Good luck!

SharonN - I hope everything works out and you will let us know how wonderful your cruise is.  HAL should be more than happy to take you luggage to the hotel and you catch up with it after you take a test at the airport and taxi to the hotel.  Fingers crossed Friday goes o.k. for you.  Cherie

24 minutes ago, SharonN said:

Your flight is not the only flight HAL is providing transportation for. They will be running several transports a day. Tell the HAL rep at the airport you need to get your tests done and ask if they can put you on a later transport. If not get the tests done and take a cab or Uber. It's best to miss the HAL transport then to run back and forth to the airport the next day. 

23 minutes ago, SharonN said:

If you decide not to get the test when you arrive at the Vancouver Airport on Friday. You might consider taking the SkyTrain that is near Canada Place. It has been a long time, but I remember buying an inexpensive pass to Vancouver’s transportation system which allowed the sky train, the ferry to North Vancouver and the buses for a reasonable price in those days of $8. I suspect the price has doubled. But I would take the sky train to the airport and back rather than Uber or the taxi. It is a fun scenic ride.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Storylady said:

If you decide not to get the test when you arrive at the Vancouver Airport on Friday. You might consider taking the SkyTrain that is near Canada Place. It has been a long time, but I remember buying an inexpensive pass to Vancouver’s transportation system which allowed the sky train, the ferry to North Vancouver and the buses for a reasonable price in those days of $8. I suspect the price has doubled. But I would take the sky train to the airport and back rather than Uber or the taxi. It is a fun scenic ride.

We took the Sky train to the airport from the port last time we ended a cruise in Vancouver so that's probably what we'll do if we need to go back on Sat. 

Surely the pre flight testing requirement for entry to the USA, is coming to an end. Canada, most of Europe, Australia and NZ (soon) are no longer requiring testing to be done. I likewise feel for the Americans, just another hassle to deal with.

Edited by TheLizardHouse
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, TheLizardHouse said:

Surely the pre flight testing requirement for entry to the USA, is coming to an end. Canada, most of Europe, Australia and NZ (soon) are no longer requiring testing to be done. I likewise feel for the Americans, just another hassle to deal with.

The OP needs a test for boarding the ship.

There is a reason why HAL and other cruise lines cancelled their onboard testing.  Per CA cruise policies (see links below), If you test positive while onboard, then the cruiseline is responsible for organizing and paying for your quarantine expenses while in Canada.  As soon as you get off the ship, and if you test positive, then you are on your own.

COVID-19: Cruise ship travel – Travel.gc.ca

Entering or leaving Canada by cruise ship during COVID-19 - Canada.ca

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, T8NCruise said:

I can't find any info locally about the Canada Place test site closing, and my friends have appointments for pre-cruise next week there.  What dare is it closing?

It's closed now.  Take a look at the CVM Medical website.