SS Cloud Live...ish JUNE 1-14

highplanesdrifters

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

highplanesdrifters was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

We boarded yesterday after a challenging journey. Will attempt to post details at some point.  SS has been excellent so far.  Our first time on the Cloud. Although I have read less than stellar reports of her condition, I must say she is a sight for sore eyes and looking lovely. The ship is full. This is surprising as we only booked 2 weeks ago and there was plenty of room available.  We are pulling into Bryher and Tresco,  Isles of Scilly. Must run for some fun. 

Bonus points and free drinks to the person that can explain the mosaic.

The last photo is of Solentfortes near Southampton. It has been turned into a corporate retreat. 

20220601_194904.jpg

20220601_213142.jpg

20220601_153529.jpg

20220601_153250.jpg

20220601_190451.jpg

• Like 7

@jimdee3636

Don't worry old Cloud vesteges remain, the showers leave a lot to be desired. 😉 There is still smoking allowed in The Pool Grill area. Would I have been convicted for throwing the chain smoker overboard? And bizarrely many of the public rooms reeked of cigarette smoke when we walked around the ship. No one could answer why. 

On to happy things.

Bryher- quick trot around the island with spectacular weather for the a.m. expedition. Local boats were used to tender. Nice treat.

20220602_094454.jpg

20220602_104442.jpg

20220602_104653.jpg

20220602_105106.jpg

20220602_105211.jpg

• Like 5

@highplanesdrifters

Regarding your "quiz" about the mosaic in the first picture, the inscription seems to refer indirectly (in Latin) to a King Charles. I'm going to guess it's the 16th century Holy Roman Emperor Charles I, among whose many accomplishments included overseeing the Spanish naval explorations (and often conquests) in the Americas. However, the ship appears to be from an earlier era, so I'm probably wrong. At some point, tell us the answer: you've piqued my curiosity.

2 minutes ago, jimdee3636 said:

@highplanesdrifters

Regarding your "quiz" about the mosaic in the first picture, the inscription seems to refer indirectly (in Latin) to a King Charles. I'm going to guess it's the 16th century Holy Roman Emperor Charles I, among whose many accomplishments included overseeing the Spanish naval explorations (and often conquests) in the Americas. However, the ship appears to be from an earlier era, so I'm probably wrong. At some point, tell us the answer: you've piqued my curiosity.

Correcting myself: I should have said Charles V. I don't mind being wrong, but I hate being careless!

• Haha 1

There is internet at the moment on our way to Isle of Man. Will try and post more. 

Transit to London from the U.S. was a challenge. Missed connections caused an overnight in Denver due to short staff and weather. Lines and chaos reigned. Our Goddess of a TA scored us seats next to each other in UA Polaris following day and a room at the Westin Denver Airport. We felt very lucky to get those. Westin room service took 2 hours. Positives: A stop at baggage claim before our flight confirmed our bags were in the correct bin for our flight.  We flew through security with TSA/Clear in 5 minutes, yes 5 minutes. Polaris service was much better than it has been, food was landfill.  E gates in London worked perfectly. Our luggage was first off. Things going our way, YES.  Goddess TA procured early check in and upgrade at SS Hotel Waldorf Hilton.  Goodness, this hotel is a dump. What is Silversea thinking? I've already ranted about D2D pricing, another reason to switch.Our couch was so disgusting we requested a sheet to throw over it. Complaints from others were rampant. Goddess TA also procured us a private car to the ship to escape the busses which were late. Pre Jubilee traffic.

We were on the ship with cabins ready by 2:15.

• Like 4

Masks:

Not required on the overseas flight.

An occasional mask was spotted in London. Folks have told us that it is rarely in the news.

Not many masks on the ship although crew are wearing them.

I do not know if there is any covid on board.

Temperature checks every day.

6 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Not many masks on the ship although crew are wearing them.

I do not know if there is any covid on board.

Temperature checks every day.

It’s amazing how different procedures are ship to ship.  Probably based on local requirements, but nonetheless, wonder if SS provides this wide degree of latitude to its captains?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stumblefoot said:

It’s amazing how different procedures are ship to ship.  Probably based on local requirements, but nonetheless, wonder if SS provides this wide degree of latitude to its captains?

I've wondered that myself. I speculated that things are a but more is because the countries we are visiting are very open (no tests to enter & no masks). Who knows!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Isle of Sicilly.

That’s wild.  We literally just received a promotional email from SS today about this location.  

Had never heard of it before.  Can only imagine how to pronounce it based on recent postings in the forum. 😊

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

For the avoidance of doubt these wonderful islands are called the Isles of Scilly, pronounced “silly”. 

Sicily is an island at the foot of Italy. 

I agree they are great photos and a great place to visit. We were there for a week last year and booked for another week at the end of July. 

• Like 6

Sicily was a highlight on a cruise I did in 2014 and one reason was actually seeing a red squirrel as I had never seen one before and likely won't get to see another one. It reminded me of my Disney films when growing up. Sorry for the blurriness.

image.thumb.jpeg.bacbb66db2e475518647734ce1d52572.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yesterday,  June 3. Port of St. Mary's, Isle of Man.  A sleepy southern port. We have been in the North previously.  A quick stop here to the Rushen Abby. The 90 minute tour was 75 minutes too long. I heard the same about the train tour. Nice stroll through the town though. We have been slackers trying to catch up on sleep and find some energy. The day worked for perfectly for us. Isle of Man has so much to offer, stepped in Viking and Neolithic history. The TT motorcycle races started the day after we left. The Isle is worth an extended trip.

20220603_135915.jpg

20220603_154744.jpg

20220603_155051.jpg

20220603_155104.jpg

20220603_155406.jpg

20220603_160552.jpg

20220603_143033.jpg

• Like 6

June 4

Iona, Scotland

This is the day that travel dreams are made of. Except for the early rise, 5:30, ouch. We awoke to a sky so blue it might crack, sea of glass, light breeze, and temps already in the high 50's.  Perhaps I'm still dreaming.  Iona is a spit of land in the middle of the sea with wonderful seabird colonies. I'll let the pictures tell the story. Will attempt to post videos.

• Like 4

highplanesdrifters; thanks for sharing your Wind expedition visits to St. Mary's Isle of Man, and Iona, Scotland.  Hike looked like fun, and good job on posting the video too.