Friend Backed Out, Now Going Solo. But.....

I am booked on the Allure in January of 2023.   I am taking my son and his GF.  I had a friend going with me to share my cabin.  (We have two cabins)  However, my friend has backed out.  I decided to not try to find anyone else to share my cabin.  My TA called RC and was told not to take my friend off and just have her as a no show because it would be cheaper.

Here is my problem.  I want to be a deluxe drink package.  But it is requiring me to buy for both myself and my friend.  I understand I can probably get a refund later.  But I don't have the money to buy both.  What do I do?  This is also an issue with my son and his GF.  My son is not a big drinker but his GF wants the package.  RC requires them to both buy it.  I get it to a certain point.  They don't want people sharing the package.  But at the same time, it would be a waste of money for my son.

Someone please give me some advice.

Thank you!

Swap the names around.  Put your son in your cabin and your friend with his GF.  Then you and your son can buy the package and the GF can either not get one or can get a soda or refreshment.  On boarding day when your friend is a no show, they will refund their port taxes.  When you get on board, go to guest services and have your son moved over to the other cabin.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, JessyCruises said:

Swap the names around.  Put your son in your cabin and your friend with his GF.  Then you and your son can buy the package and the GF can either not get one or can get a soda or refreshment.  On boarding day when your friend is a no show, they will refund their port taxes.  When you get on board, go to guest services and have your son moved over to the other cabin.

If it was me I'd want the extra solo loyalty pt. 

Maybe I'll just give up on pts and pinnacle is out of reach, but for right now I've pushed pts for the rewards. 

Agree with not removing. They probably would refare to current rate. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/3/2022 at 10:31 AM, molly361 said:

Or put a minor in the stateroom with you.  I thought you could remove the second person without repricing the booking  @Ourusualbeach?

On 6/3/2022 at 11:06 AM, Ourusualbeach said:

Correct. 

My TA called RC and they said they would reprice it.  I didn't understand why though.  I may have her call them back.  

Also, I don't have a minor going with me.  

I am lost here, when you remove the 2nd person, naturally you will need to pay the single-rate. Did you mean you booked at a sales-price and the single-fare is more then what you were paying for 2 persons?

• Like 1

Just now, BVILady said:

I am lost here, when you remove the 2nd person, naturally you will need to pay the single-rate. Did you mean you booked at a sales-price and the single-fare is more then what you were paying for 2 persons?

The single rate is the exact same as the 2 person rate less the taxes for the second person unless you happen to stumble across a reduced solo rate or have over 340 c&a points. 

25 minutes ago, BVILady said:

Honestly I'm not sure.  I can tell you that when I booked, it was considerably cheaper then it is now.  

So maybe they will charge me today's rates?  

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

The single rate is the exact same as the 2 person rate less the taxes for the second person unless you happen to stumble across a reduced solo rate or have over 340 c&a points. 

I have never seen a reduced solo rates in my years of cruising but I wait for discount for second person - have got one as high as 60% off for second person so I pay 140% .  No hassle.

1 hour ago, kpgibbs said:

My TA called RC and they said they would reprice it.  I didn't understand why though.  I may have her call them back.  

Also, I don't have a minor going with me.  

I meant put a fake minor in the cabin with you if needed for buying the drink package.  They can't make the minor buy one.  My husband passed away a few months ago and my TA was able to take him off without the booking getting repriced

• Like 1

1 minute ago, squadron said:

I have never seen a reduced solo rates in my years of cruising but I wait for discount for second person - have got one as high as 60% off for second person so I pay 140% .  No hassle.

There were some crazy rates on Oasis this past Fall. It was actually cheaper for a couple to get 2 rooms over sharing a room.  I had never seen that before. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, dcgrumpy said:

There were some crazy rates on Oasis this past Fall. It was actually cheaper for a couple to get 2 rooms over sharing a room.  I had never seen that before. 

Booked two connecting mid-ship balconies on Oasis (7 night Oct 2021) for $603 each.  🙂

Booked two connecting mid-ship balconies on Anthem (7 night early Dec 2021) for $594 each.  🙂

Booked two balcony guarantees on Anthem (9 night NYE sailing) for $947 each

Two beds, two baths, two TVs, two sets of closets, etc.  And quadruple points!  🙂

Edited by Another_Critic
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, kpgibbs said:

Honestly I'm not sure.  I can tell you that when I booked, it was considerably cheaper then it is now.  

So maybe they will charge me today's rates?  

Yes if you cancel the 2nd person, Royal will reprice you at today's rate.  That is why your TA said it is cheaper to just have the 2nd person No show at this time.

Also as stated, it cost nothing to change the 2nd persons name, so use the name of one your neighbors children and pick a birth date that corresponds to their approximate age (they are going to be a no show anyway)  that way you can buy the UBP for yourself and still collect the double points for cruising solo.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, molly361 said:

I meant put a fake minor in the cabin with you if needed for buying the drink package.  They can't make the minor buy one.  My husband passed away a few months ago and my TA was able to take him off without the booking getting repriced

1 hour ago, cruisegus said:

Yes if you cancel the 2nd person, Royal will reprice you at today's rate.  That is why your TA said it is cheaper to just have the 2nd person No show at this time.

Also as stated, it cost nothing to change the 2nd persons name, so use the name of one your neighbors children and pick a birth date that corresponds to their approximate age (they are going to be a no show anyway)  that way you can buy the UBP for yourself and still collect the double points for cruising solo.

The minor child is actually a brilliant idea!  Thank you!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisegus said:

You don't get the extra solo points for getting a room to yourself due to a no-show.  Otherwise, no one would book a room solo.  They would just book a phantom roommate and get double points for no solo supplement.  No having your cake and eating it, too.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

You don't get the extra solo points for getting a room to yourself due to a no-show.  Otherwise, no one would book a room solo.  They would just book a phantom roommate and get double points for no solo supplement.  No having your cake and eating it, too.

Yes you do.  Have done it more than once

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, molly361 said:

Yes you do.  Have done it more than once

So, if DW and I booked adjoining rooms with each of us as the primary cruiser, and if each of us then added a phantom roommate, we could have two rooms for the price of one and both get double points while we're at it?

1 minute ago, DCPIV said:

So, if DW and I booked adjoining rooms with each of us as the primary cruiser, and if each of us then added a phantom roommate, we could have two rooms for the price of one and both get double points while we're at it?

I don't know how you are going to get 2 rooms for the price of one since you would have to pay double occupancy on both staterooms unless you have 340 points to get a reduced single supplement but yes you would each get double points with one person in each cabin

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

People chasing points book themselves in separate staterooms .  It's fairly common

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I don't know how you are going to get 2 rooms for the price of one since you would have to pay double occupancy on both staterooms unless you have 340 points to get a reduced single supplement but yes you would each get double points with one person in each cabin

Okay.  Forgive my brain fart.  For some reason, I was thinking that the no-show was fully refunded.  I know better than that, though.

Perhaps I should have a nap!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3