Boarding time set in stone?

mrsgoggins

We've been allocated a boarding time of 15.30 for our upcoming cruise, and are not thrilled with this at all.  We normally sail with lines where you can choose your time and would select before noon.

How set in stone is this time slot?  We don't intend attempting to get onboard super-early, but as we'll be marking time after leaving a hotel, would prefer something earlier than 15.30.

I apologise if this is a regularly asked question; I've tried the search option but am boggle-eyed by the responses. Thanks.

First off you are not given a "boarding time" but an arrival time at the terminal.

Because there are still Covid protocols in place then you are requested not to arrive before that time. Having said that we arrived about half an hour before our allotted time and there was no problem.

Depending on ship/terminal if you arrive too early then you may be asked to return at a later time, but as Covid protocls are starting to be relaxed arriving an hour early would probably not be a problem.

4 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

We've been allocated a boarding time of 15.30 for our upcoming cruise, and are not thrilled with this at all.  We normally sail with lines where you can choose your time and would select before noon.

How set in stone is this time slot?  We don't intend attempting to get onboard super-early, but as we'll be marking time after leaving a hotel, would prefer something earlier than 15.30.

I apologise if this is a regularly asked question; I've tried the search option but am boggle-eyed by the responses. Thanks.

It’s a question I asked when we first cruised with P&O, and the suggestions we had were essentially to turn up around 1300 and hope to be allowed through.

It worked a treat, but I suppose a lot depends on the length of the queue and luck! I’d give it a go, but there is a risk you might be asked to come back later.

• Thanks 1

We have literally got back from Ventura.

We were given the same boarding time as you but we got down about 1.30pm and was on at 2.00pm.

Very different boarding process from Britannia six weeks ago.

We just showed our negative covid test ,boarding pass and passport then went to check in where we were asked if we had insurance  again showed our boarding pass and the cleared for boarding really quick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How you arrive may have some influence on boarding times. If you arrive by taxi/coach etc it seems you can board ok. If you are leaving your car with CPS and have to go to the testing station then you need to stick to your arrival time as when we did that they would only allow you to go to the drive through at your allocated time. Bear in mind that this was in December and things may be much more relaxed now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sandancer said:

How you arrive may have some influence on boarding times. If you arrive by taxi/coach etc it seems you can board ok. If you are leaving your car with CPS and have to go to the testing station then you need to stick to your arrival time as when we did that they would only allow you to go to the drive through at your allocated time. Bear in mind that this was in December and things may be much more relaxed now. 

Yes, more relaxed now. No testing station and the LFT is the day before, same as a 'fit to fly' test for a airport. You have to organise and pay for it though. NHS test kits not valid.

I had a 12 noon boarding time and arrived 10 minutes early, dropped the case off and then various document checks, then into the terminal and up the escalator, sat down for a while and then called through security. A smooth operation

Edited by davecttr
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

It’s a question I asked when we first cruised with P&O, and the suggestions we had were essentially to turn up around 1300 and hope to be allowed through.

But that was pre Covid - things have changed, although are gradually returning to pre Covid.

I understand that depending on your mode of transport you cannot always arrive at the precise time that you are requested to but if even 50% of Iona's passengers all arrived at 12:00 (or any other time for that matter) it would be total chaos and boarding would almost inevitably be slower.

2 hours ago, poorer said:

We have literally got back from Ventura.

We were given the same boarding time as you but we got down about 1.30pm and was on at 2.00pm.

Very different boarding process from Britannia six weeks ago.

We just showed our negative covid test ,boarding pass and passport then went to check in where we were asked if we had insurance  again showed our boarding pass and the cleared for boarding really quick.

That’s very interesting as it is Ventura we will be boarding, although I expect a lot of variables come into play with how quickly the process is completed.  Our Princess boarding at the end of April this year could have been horrendous (as it was for many) but for our having an early boarding time and not receiving the email telling us we should delay our arrival, until a few days later 😄.  

Oh how different boarding was last year, the year of maximum 50% passenger numbers.  We sailed with Celebrity and Royal Caribbean, and it was a case of self-parking across from the ship (which DH strongly prefers), handing over the cases to the van that arrived immediately and strolling over to the terminal and straight on to the ship.  Sigh ……!  I’m not dumb to the economics at play, but it was good while it lasted.  

Back to the present.  We have now decided to exchange some Tesco vouchers for a Prezzo discount lunch on the way down so may not be too early after all!

Thanks to all who have responded.

• Like 1

Friends of ours returned home yesterday after a week on Iona. I think their boarding time was 3.30-4.00 but they chanced it after lunch and boarded just after 2. They thought Iona was too big for them  and they’re quite a few years younger than us - took ages to walk from end to end and usually long wait for lifts. They weren’t impressed with the food and thought that the buffet was really poor. Entertainment was ok.  Before I even asked about the deck 8 situation, they said that they would never choose one of those cabins. They haven’t sailed with P&O for 4 years and their last few cruises have been with Princess. They’re glad that they tried Iona but they think that Princess will be their first choice from now on. They like the drink packages and Wi-fi and on that score, they think that Princess offers better value for money. 

• Like 2

We have also just finished a short cruise with Ventura, our embarkation time was 15:30 and we booked parking with CPS. We arrived at the terminal at 13:30 and had no issues whatsoever. Everything was really well organised, CPS were great and we were quickly onboard with no delays. According to the shore excursions team there were 2500 passengers onboard so lots to check in but they were unbelievably slick in the terminal. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ardennais said:

Friends of ours returned home yesterday after a week on Iona. I think their boarding time was 3.30-4.00 but they chanced it after lunch and boarded just after 2. They thought Iona was too big for them  and they’re quite a few years younger than us - took ages to walk from end to end and usually long wait for lifts. They weren’t impressed with the food and thought that the buffet was really poor. Entertainment was ok.  Before I even asked about the deck 8 situation, they said that they would never choose one of those cabins. They haven’t sailed with P&O for 4 years and their last few cruises have been with Princess. They’re glad that they tried Iona but they think that Princess will be their first choice from now on. They like the drink packages and Wi-fi and on that score, they think that Princess offers better value for money. 

Funny old world. My friend went on Iona and loved it. We thought it was quite ok too. They thought that some of the smaller lines were like a care home. We like Britannia too.🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not sure of arrival times now as haven't sailed since 2018 due to Covid and cancelled cruises and changed itineraries. Only had a boarding time once which was a pain in the proverbial as we were going to Southampton on a coach which stops at South Mimms for an hour, we then had to stop again just outside Southampton as we would have arrived too early. When we did get to the port (Not the bottled variety) by the time we boarded they called for everyone to go to their muster stations for the required drill. Not amusing after a long day.