Covid Testing Requirements Mandate for U.S. to end Sunday

Losnab

• Losnab changed the title to Covid Testing Requirements Mandate for U.S. to end Sunday

One more step back to our new normal of living with Covid.  The online testing companies will not like this as they have been getting rich off of testing tourists. Also should help with the congestion problems at foreign airports as the airlines had to screen every passenger flying to the US..

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Mary229 said:

So far it is for air but not cruises.  Let’s hope cruise ships get relief too.  It might make our testing even more expensive 

I do not believe that cruise ships have any more testing mandates by the CDC, they are self impossed with a few exceptions in Europe where the host countires require them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, terrydtx said:

I do not believe that cruise ships have any more testing mandates by the CDC, they are self impossed with a few exceptions in Europe where the host countires require them.

HAL requires them for the US and Canada. They are still part of the voluntary program

Edited by Mary229

3 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

HAL requires them for the US and Canada. They are still part of the voluntary program

Mary, I understand that, Celebrity also has the same pre board testing, but they are self imposed and not mandated by the CDC.. I think in Europe some countries like Italy, require testing but that may all change. The best news is for overseas cruise travelers like us, we do not have worry about testing the last day on the ship or airport to fly home. That is a huge relief.

• Like 2

FINALLY!

I have a European cruise in July and didn't want to waste my precious time fitting a Covid test into our schedule.  Especially since we both have had the two original Moderna shots and two boosters.

It was great flying domestically last week without a mask.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, HUNKY said:

FINALLY!

I have a European cruise in July and didn't want to waste my precious time fitting a Covid test into our schedule.  Especially since we both have had the two original Moderna shots and two boosters.

It was great flying domestically last week without a mask.

Last week we flew to St Thomas and back with no masks on the planes and it was great. Maybe 10% of the passengers still wore masks.

• Like 3

Personally (and I realize this is my opinion) I do hope Holland America retains their pre travel test requirements.

I personally, would certainly feel more comfortable enjoying the ships venues sans mask knowing I am in a much safer environment overall.

As for air travel to and fro I do intend to take the necessary precautions for my comfort level. 

• Like 5

Finally some Baby steps!!

This is the first step to removing all covid protocols which, imo, is what it's going to take from a business perspective. CCL stock is approaching March 2020 numbers. Better hope the Saudis buy Seabourn and offer some debt relief. This is bleak.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Mary, I understand that, Celebrity also has the same pre board testing, but they are self imposed and not mandated by the CDC.. I think in Europe some countries like Italy, require testing but that may all change. The best news is for overseas cruise travelers like us, we do not have worry about testing the last day on the ship or airport to fly home. That is a huge relief.

terrydtx, since I see from several of your posts that you will be sailing from Italy soon, here is a post on the updated Covid requirements for Italy. 

Starting from June 1, 2022, travelers to Italy will no longer be required to show the Green pass (i.e. Anti-COVID 19 vaccination certificate or recovery certificate, or a negative swab test) to enter Italy and are not subject to quarantine upon arrival to Italy if they do not possess the Green pass.Jun 1, 2022
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

While I would like to have the pre-cruise Covid testing dropped, we live in Florida where hospitals are once again being innudated with Covid cases. Our next cruise isn't until late October (HAL) and I hope by then FL cases drop significantly and the cruise lines drop the pre-cruise testing. We only do Caribbean cruises and do not fly anywhere.

This makes me so happy! I was having anxiety over how we were going to get off the ship in Vancouver, rush to the airport, get tested and make our flight. We were even considering canceling our cruise.

For those of us that have been traveling throughout the pandemic there is one downside.  The airlines and the hotel chains are all predicting rates to be going up due to expected increased demand with the testing requirements being removed.  You no longer need to test, but will be facing more crowds and will most likely be paying more during your travels.

Even before this change hotel rates, as reported by Marriott and Hilton) were up 25 to 30% compared to pre-Covid and the CEO's of the major chains are expecting additional pricing power for additional significant increases.

Edited by ldtr

42 minutes ago, birdie16 said:

This makes me so happy! I was having anxiety over how we were going to get off the ship in Vancouver, rush to the airport, get tested and make our flight. We were even considering canceling our cruise.

I was wondering. We too are disembarking in Vancouver at the end of our Alaska cruisetour and then heading straight to the airport. Presumably that's considered entering the U.S. by air (and thus eligible for the new no-test rules) rather than by sea.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Petronillus said:

I was wondering. We too are disembarking in Vancouver at the end of our Alaska cruisetour and then heading straight to the airport. Presumably that's considered entering the U.S. by air (and thus eligible for the new no-test rules) rather than by sea.

When you disembark a cruise in Vancouver you are entering Canada.  When you fly from Canada to the US, you are entering the US.  Flying was the only transport left where you needed a negative covid test so, no matter which way you enter, you will no longer need a test.

Edited by *Miss G*
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

@ldtr agree. That is why I filled my slate and booked as much as I could early.  I locked in pre-inflationary pricing as much as I could.   I bet rates are rising as we speak. 

As did we, we now have 7 future cruises booked through January 2024, all booked earlier this year or last year and currently everyone of them is well less than current pricing in some cases significantly lower.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

Just now, terrydtx said:

As did we, now have 6 future cruises booked all either earlier this year of last year and currently everyone of them is well less than current pricing in some cases significantly lower.

Mine are not but more importantly I was able to secure air fares and hotels at lower prices.  With HAL I can change air and cruise fare up until final payment date.   So if they change their fares it is not an issue. (I tend to sail long, unique itineraries which are not as subject to discounting)

• Like 2

Just now, seaoma said:

Is does show a fairly marked increase in the ICU census in just a few weeks.  159 covid beds in use up to 291.

I was going to also provide you with this link from Hopkins as their website can be difficult to maneuver 

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/region/united-states

I personally don’t agree with your stance but that is not important, I just think we should all use reliable data 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Here is the gold standard, John Hopkins:

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/hospitalization-7-day-trend/florida

Great link! I bookmarked it last year and totally forgot about it. 

19 minutes ago, seaoma said:

The data you report is 2 weeks old.

The epidemiologist, Dr. Jason Salemi,  I follow is current to June 10. His lists Florida hospitals between 47 and 50th worst in the nation. 

I agree, the newer data is always better. According to the Johns Hopkins dashboard, Florida hospitalization rates are still quite low, especially as it relates to covid admission. 

Week of June 6-12.

-Only 78% of hospital beds are occupied. 

- Less than 7% of those beds have covid positive patients (3,000 covid positive beds out of 45,000 beds in use)

I don't see a reason to be alarmed and still think this is good news for those cruising out of Florida. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Mine are not but more importantly I was able to secure air fares and hotels at lower prices.  With HAL I can change air and cruise fare up until final payment date.   So if they change their fares it is not an issue. (I tend to sail long, unique itineraries which are not as subject to discounting)

We are doing a 22 day B2B in New Zealand and Great Barrier Reef  in 2024, a 7 day river cruise followed by a 12 day Amsterdam to Athens cruise next year and a 10 day Italy cruise followed by 14 day Greek cruise this August. So we also like long cruises or B2B ones when we travel overseas because of the cost of airfare. We also like to add a good mix of land days as well, we have 9 total land days in August before and in-between our two cruises.