Crown princess changed to Royal for Alaska

fleeflicker

On 6/15/2022 at 2:29 PM, Thrak said:

When I didn't want to be directly above the Covid ward I had no problem at all changing cabins. They are letting people who are confined for Covid smoke on their balconies. Bleh. I didn't want to end up directly above someone smoking on their balcony or someone out on their balcony coughing and wheezing with Covid.

They stopped all smoking on balconies due to it being a fire hazard (Star Princess) but they are now allowing passengers with Covid to smoke on their balconies?  

On 6/18/2022 at 5:38 PM, avic77 said:

Update: after hours on chat and making sure we had the assigned cabin B736 I happened to log in this morning and see that we were moved to a "Guaranteed MC" and upcharged $600. So I spent 2 more hours on chat getting that reversed 

MC mini suites are all directly under pool decks and not at all our idea of a good cabin location. 

Glad you got the $600 reversed, though I’m sure there are Princess apologists who think you should have let them keep the money since the company is suffering so much. Hope you get the guarantee problem fixed as well. 

8 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

They stopped all smoking on balconies due to it being a fire hazard (Star Princess) but they are now allowing passengers with Covid to smoke on their balconies?  

It's understandable since there's no much they can do to stop it and the chance of fire is really a minimum at most. 

What I don't comprehend are people with a Covid cough wanting to aggravate the situation even more by smoking. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, avic77 said:

I was quite shocked to see the increased total. I'm not sure what happened within the reassignment phase but that was a no go for us. Hopefully our room assignment is all settled not but I will keep close watch

Called today to get my room location changed back to where it was on the crown. They moved me from the dolphin to deck 15. I paid more money to not be so high up originally. Low and behold they can move me but I will lose my obc. I canceled the two reservations. I told them why on earth would I pay more money to be on a lower deck just to get moved to a higher deck and then lose my obc to get out back where I originally paid to be. 

Edited by fleeflicker

On 6/16/2022 at 12:42 AM, caribill said:

Since the top is for cruises next year, the Croiwn propulsion issues should be repaired by then.

Hopefully but those issues were supposedly dealt with back in 2019. Wouldn't be surprised if that caused an extensive drydock earlier than that. 

Bottom line: like the saying goes ~~~~ YOU CAN PUT LIPSTICK ON A PIG BUT IT'S STILL A PIG. As long as Asia stays closed, a ship like Crown with unresolved issues leading to a lot of negative posts / unhappy cruisers is not needed. 

On 6/18/2022 at 5:38 PM, avic77 said:

Update: after hours on chat and making sure we had the assigned cabin B736 I happened to log in this morning and see that we were moved to a "Guaranteed MC" and upcharged $600. So I spent 2 more hours on chat getting that reversed 

MC mini suites are all directly under pool decks and not at all our idea of a good cabin location. 

To me, it sounds like Princess is trying to pull a fast one on all of you, hoping no one says anything; I bet a lot of people aren't that on top of things.

• Like 1

When Crown Princess was replaced with the Royal, our MS was changed from deck 8 aft ( one of those sweet corner balconies) to deck 15 forward, right over the Lido deck.  I contacted our CVP and she agreed the new cabin was a lousy replacement.  It took her 2 days, but she got us deck 10 mid aft in one of the MS with the bigger, angled cabin.  All our perks/OBC transferred and it cost us an extra #39  to go from the ME cabin to an MA cabin.  Now if shore excursions would open up...😏

3 minutes ago, bafinegan said:

When Crown Princess was replaced with the Royal, our MS was changed from deck 8 aft ( one of those sweet corner balconies) to deck 15 forward, right over the Lido deck.  I contacted our CVP and she agreed the new cabin was a lousy replacement.  It took her 2 days, but she got us deck 10 mid aft in one of the MS with the bigger, angled cabin.  All our perks/OBC transferred and it cost us an extra #39  to go from the ME cabin to an MA cabin.  Now if shore excursions would open up...😏

I think sometimes you get a different response from different people, some are more helpful than others; may flee flicker should see if they get more help from someone else.

• Like 1

When we were first notified that the ship changed I emailed my PVP with a request for specific cabins on the Royal that were similar to the location on the Crown. She did it perfect.  No price change either. I guess I am one of the lucky ones.

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

Hopefully but those issues were supposedly dealt with back in 2019. Wouldn't be surprised if that caused an extensive drydock earlier than that. 

Bottom line: like the saying goes ~~~~ YOU CAN PUT LIPSTICK ON A PIG BUT IT'S STILL A PIG. As long as Asia stays closed, a ship like Crown with unresolved issues leading to a lot of negative posts / unhappy cruisers is not needed. 

I found what I was looking for. A video of engine replacement on a cruise ship. Based on what I've read, they need to go below the water line to repair this. Last drydock was in '18. Here is an engine change in minute and thirty-two:

3 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

I found what I was looking for. A video of engine replacement on a cruise ship. Based on what I've read, they need to go below the water line to repair this. Last drydock was in '18. Here is an engine change in minute and thirty-two:

Kinda looks major!! So the question becomes: Is this something that can be handled in the 1 month April 2023 drydock? Will it be worth it in the long run or is this a ship that they are thinking of off-loading??

13 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Kinda looks major!! So the question becomes: Is this something that can be handled in the 1 month April 2023 drydock? Will it be worth it in the long run or is this a ship that they are thinking of off-loading??

Just look what they were able to do in a minute and a half. 😄

At $2mil a day for drydock, they wouldn't waste any time. I'm sure they could finish. With all the ships that have been scrapped lately, there are likely rebuilt/rebuildable engines available. Off loading? If it were to go, it could go to P&O AU. Scrap the 9 year older slab-sided Pacific Explorer. The extra cost for the Crown's balcony cabins would recoup the investment. But the price tag for parts and repair would be a staggering number for sure!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, fleeflicker said:

Called today to get my room location changed back to where it was on the crown. They moved me from the dolphin to deck 15. I paid more money to not be so high up originally. Low and behold they can move me but I will lose my obc. I canceled the two reservations. I told them why on earth would I pay more money to be on a lower deck just to get moved to a higher deck and then lose my obc to get out back where I originally paid to be. 

Something very wrong here.

Looks like the rep wanted to change you to a different booking promotion, not simply get your cabin back. There was no reason to lose any OBC with getting your original cabin back.

4 minutes ago, caribill said:

Something very wrong here.

Looks like the rep wanted to change you to a different booking promotion, not simply get your cabin back. There was no reason to lose any OBC with getting your original cabin back.

That’s the same thing I thought. It really irritates me. I told him. Princess controls the promotion not me. It was a no go

16 hours ago, vjmatty said:

Glad you got the $600 reversed, though I’m sure there are Princess apologists who think you should have let them keep the money since the company is suffering so much. Hope you get the guarantee problem fixed as well. 

No way.  They can't move you and then charge you!!

I am a (former) Princess apologist....LOL!

• Haha 1

We got everything sorted out though it took a couple days and several chat sessions. I have been happy with the people I have dealt with and they were understanding and helpful in correcting the booking and charged amount. We are on the Baja Deck Aft view cabin B736 (what we requested). After all was settled we ended up being cheaper then what we had booked Crown Princess at. I am very happy about the changed ship since Crown is having issues. I still have my OBC and Princess Plus package. 

Bookmarking excursion and will book those this weekend. Now we have to wait for flights to come available.

Never sailed Princess so I am not in anyway a Princess Apologist 😂 just sharing my experience.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2022 at 8:15 PM, kgmaryland said:

I just spent 5 hours on the phone Friday to get 3 adjacent mini suites and an inside cabin across the hall for our family of 11 on 6/24/23 cruise. We will be celebrating our 50th Anniversary.  Royal Princess doesn't have mini suites on Dolphin deck so we'll have to be moved to a different deck. What are the chances that we will still be adjacent?

Get ready for them to try and take your obc.