Mixed vaccines: are we going to get denied boarding?

BrennerM

My wife and I have 3 different doses: AstraZeneca, Moderna, and then a Pfizer booster, because we got whatever we could get as quickly as possible (we’re Canadian BTW).  When I read the Princess FAQ it is a tad vague:

In a two-dose series, we accept mixed vaccine types only if at least two doses of an authorized vaccine were administered at least 28 days apart, with the last dose given at least 14 days before sailing. See question "Which COVID-19 vaccines will be accepted on board?" for a list of currently approved or authorized vaccines.

Does this mean we need two doses of the same vaccine?  It is confusing because they say they accept mixed doses but then say you need two doses of an authorized vaccine. I feel it should say “Two doses with any combination of authorized vaccines”.   The CruiseCritic guide to vaccine policies says this for Princess:

Acceptable Vaccines: Passengers can have two doses of Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca, Sinopharm or Sinovac; one dose of Johnson & Johnson; or mixed doses of AstraZeneca with Moderna or Pfizer; and mixed doses of Pfizer and Moderna.

Can someone please confirm that we will be fine to get on a Princess ship (for an Alaska cruise) with our mixed vaccine dosages?

Not trying to start a long discussion, just want to know if we meet the policy as it stands. Don’t want to go all that way and be denied boarding.  Thanks in advance!

I have the same course of vaccines as you do, and I am going on a cruise in September. My understanding is that you need 2 doses of a covid 19 vaccine. Mixed vaccines as described in your post are acceptable. The fact that we have a third booster dose is not relevant as it is not required. I have to admit, I had to read the rules carefully, but we are in fact okay to travel.

3 minutes ago, lolo11 said:

I have the same course of vaccines as you do, and I am going on a cruise in September. My understanding is that you need 2 doses of a covid 19 vaccine. Mixed vaccines as described in your post are acceptable. The fact that we have a third booster dose is not relevant as it is not required. I have to admit, I had to read the rules carefully, but we are in fact okay to travel.

My wife had the J&J vaccine and then 2 Pfizer shots no problem getting on board in April

22 minutes ago, BrennerM said:

My wife and I have 3 different doses: AstraZeneca, Moderna, and then a Pfizer booster, because we got whatever we could get as quickly as possible (we’re Canadian BTW).  When I read the Princess FAQ it is a tad vague:

In a two-dose series, we accept mixed vaccine types only if at least two doses of an authorized vaccine were administered at least 28 days apart, with the last dose given at least 14 days before sailing. See question "Which COVID-19 vaccines will be accepted on board?" for a list of currently approved or authorized vaccines.

Does this mean we need two doses of the same vaccine?  It is confusing because they say they accept mixed doses but then say you need two doses of an authorized vaccine. I feel it should say “Two doses with any combination of authorized vaccines”.   The CruiseCritic guide to vaccine policies says this for Princess:

Acceptable Vaccines: Passengers can have two doses of Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca, Sinopharm or Sinovac; one dose of Johnson & Johnson; or mixed doses of AstraZeneca with Moderna or Pfizer; and mixed doses of Pfizer and Moderna.

Can someone please confirm that we will be fine to get on a Princess ship (for an Alaska cruise) with our mixed vaccine dosages?

Not trying to start a long discussion, just want to know if we meet the policy as it stands. Don’t want to go all that way and be denied boarding.  Thanks in advance!

You have 2 doses of acceptable mixed  vaccines of AstraZeneca and Moderna.

Booster can be any of those that are acceptable.

I do not see a problem.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BrennerM said:

I could be incorrect , but I think they’re emphasizing the at least 28 day period between the first dose and the second dose.  So is there 28+ days  between your Astra Zeneca and Moderna vaccines ?

You could always call your travel agent and/or Princess  to try to double check on this. I do believe they’re just trying to make sure people are vaccinated to go cruising. So with 3 doses of a mixed COVID-19 vaccine I would think you would be good to go ,but I would check with a more reliable source than people posting on cruise critic of course .

10 hours ago, BrennerM said:

As soon as I saw the thread topic, I said to myself "Has to be a Canadian posting".  IDK why they did all the mixing and get what you can, etc, when they had supplies coming.  Anyway, that ship has sailed and we were careful to not fall into that trap as I knew it would cause issues for international travel - and it did.  That said, I believe much/most of that issue has faded away.  The issue largely stemmed from the unreliability of the AZ vaccine and I think Canada eventually phased it out (quietly too I think).

Moderna and Pfizer are considered inter-changeable as they are the same type and foundation and quite similar in composition (however some people have different reactions to one versus the other).

Not only are you fine, but you are in good shape since the last two vaccines you received were Moderna and Pfizer.  Just don't get anymore AZ.  And, your 3rd shot wasn't a booster in the sense of being smaller - it was a full shot of Pfizer (at least if you live in Ontario).  So, don't worry anymore about the AZ shot.  

You didn't mention your travel plans, but be aware that much of Europe is wanting you boosted if it's been longer than 9 mths.  We are planning on a 4th shot in late August (for end of Sep trip to Italy for cruising) - at least if the Euro sector requirement remains for the 270 days.  Our 3rd shot was in Dec 2021 and have not been inclined to be rushing out for a 4th shot.

3 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

As soon as I saw the thread topic, I said to myself "Has to be a Canadian posting".  IDK why they did all the mixing and get what you can, etc, when they had supplies coming.  Anyway, that ship has sailed and we were careful to not fall into that trap as I knew it would cause issues for international travel - and it did.  That said, I believe much/most of that issue has faded away.  The issue largely stemmed from the unreliability of the AZ vaccine and I think Canada eventually phased it out (quietly too I think).

Here in the US you can basically same the same regarding J&J as the first shot (I’m one of the minorities that fall into that group because that is all they had the day I showed up fo my first shot).

Since then I had a Moderna and a Pfizer booster. Who knows what the flavor of the month will be for my next booster (lol) 

36 minutes ago, AZjohn said:

Here in the US you can basically same the same regarding J&J as the first shot (I’m one of the minorities that fall into that group because that is all they had the day I showed up fo my first shot).

Since then I had a Moderna and a Pfizer booster. Who knows what the flavor of the month will be for my next booster (lol) 

However in the US J&J was authorized, AZ was never authorized in the US.

So as far as cruising out of the US since J&J was a single dose vaccine that is all one needed to be considered to be vaccinated.  After all the cruise lines just require you to be vaccinated, not current.

The other vaccines AZ, Moderna and Pfizer all require two shots to be considered to be vaccinated.

(J&J was the worst performing of the US authorized vaccines and certainly a good idea for one to get boosters)

24 minutes ago, ldtr said:

However in the US J&J was authorized, AZ was never authorized in the US.

So as far as cruising out of the US since J&J was a single dose vaccine that is all one needed to be considered to be vaccinated.  After all the cruise lines just require you to be vaccinated, not current.

The other vaccines AZ, Moderna and Pfizer all require two shots to be considered to be vaccinated.

(J&J was the worst performing of the US authorized vaccines and certainly a good idea for one to get boosters)

There are many individuals in the US who received AstraZeneca vaccine as part of the trial.  DH and I received 2 shots of AZ and a Pfizer booster.   We have spent over 100 days on 7 cruises with no issues to board. DH did test positive on one of our cruises out of Southampton as many of the oncoming guests refused to wear masks as it was not required in their country.  Will not travel out of Southampton in the near future.

On 6/19/2022 at 12:23 PM, BrennerM said:

My wife and I cruised with Princess in February from LA to Mexico and LA to Hawaii and had no issues with a J&J first dose and Pfizer booster. 

Edited by Syracusefan44

On 6/19/2022 at 11:09 PM, kiwimum said:

There are many individuals in the US who received AstraZeneca vaccine as part of the trial.  DH and I received 2 shots of AZ and a Pfizer booster.   We have spent over 100 days on 7 cruises with no issues to board. DH did test positive on one of our cruises out of Southampton as many of the oncoming guests refused to wear masks as it was not required in their country.  Will not travel out of Southampton in the near future.

I was in the Astra Zeneca trials. I received 2 AZ shots , then 2 moderna and then 2 Moderna boosters. I’ve traveled on 6 cruises since cruising resumed, and did 5 land based international vacations and 5 trips to Vegas between  2020 and last week and have yet to catch or test positive for Covid. I’ve even been a caregiver twice for people with active cases and still have not caught it.  Mixing doses does really help in my opinion. I’m cruising in July on Caribbean Princess and no worries whatsoever.