No Camp Carnival for kids under 5

LAHAPPY13420

Anyone else cruising with little ones and a bit upset that Camp Carnival is not allowing any kids under 5? After I booked our cruise and paid for it in full I was told no Camp Carnival even though my son needs to get tested twice. Any other things for a 3 year old to do apart from the splash area? Has anyone cruised lately? What did you and your little ones do?

I guess the activities available really depend on the class of ship, but we did a spirit class with our daughter on her 3rd birthday in October. She loved the splash area, also she liked to hang out in the bench/ foot soaking area of the regular pool and we had fun trying mini golf. I took her to have her nails painted at the spa. We also brought coloring books, a matching game, books, a small new toy, also downloaded movies from disney+ for offline viewing she liked to watch 1 when our 6 month old was napping. She enjoyed hanging out with us on the balcony, looking for fish and dolphins. She likes going out to eat so she enjoyed meals in the dining room and 1 in the steakhouse. She also liked dancing to the live music, she really likes guitars. We took walks and people watched. By time you throw in the heat of the Caribbean and a beach day she was pretty zonked. There’s also an arcade, but we didn’t go in there so I’m not really sure how age appropriate the games are. We’re going again in august and I think we’ll try taking her to 1 of the shows this time since she’s been taking dance classes and so I think she’ll enjoy seeing that. The bigger ships definitely have more options, but even on the smaller ones she really had a wonderful time and can’t wait to go again. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, LAHAPPY13420 said:

Anyone else cruising with little ones and a bit upset that Camp Carnival is not allowing any kids under 5? After I booked our cruise and paid for it in full I was told no Camp Carnival even though my son needs to get tested twice. Any other things for a 3 year old to do apart from the splash area? Has anyone cruised lately? What did you and your little ones do?

How soon are you cruising?

With the vaccine on the horizon for littles I could see that change. I “think” the only reason it’s not open for under 5 is because they’re the unvaccinated group. The CDC has already given the go ahead for the covid vaccine for the 6mo-5yr crowd last week so it will be interesting to see once those start being administered if cruise lines change their policy on the testing and requirements for kids. I would think if kids are vaccinated they won’t have to do the additional testing either. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, LAHAPPY13420 said:

When do you cruise? That is ONLY because that age group couldn't be vaccinated. But starting this week, kids down to 6 months can be vax'd. So I'm sure Carnival will open up that group again next month or so. Don't lose hope! 

We just got off the Magic last week. Our 2.5 y/o loved the water park and hot tubs. He also spend a LOT of time on the putt putt course. It was tough, but we always found things for him to go do. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CruisinRach said:

I took her to have her nails painted at the spa. 

Did you book that once on board?  My 3 year old would have loved that, but I assumed it wasn't an option since all the stuff online before the cruise was for adults (or a select couple of services listed for older teens).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ultrafighter said:

Did you book that once on board?  My 3 year old would have loved that, but I assumed it wasn't an option since all the stuff online before the cruise was for adults (or a select couple of services listed for older teens).

I did book it once we were onboard. They didn’t do like a full manicure just really a clip, file and paint, which was perfect for her. They discounted the price of a regular mani for her. They were so nice to her, she loved it. Can’t tell but she’s smiling under that mask!20211025_093720.thumb.jpg.43ceaa1c157c6fd1dc1c2bf264afdc2a.jpg

• Like 8

The arcade, ping pong, water park/slides (depending on how much under 5), board games in the library, Build-a-Bear, Dr. Suess breakfast and Suess at Sea and Suess parade (not sure if they are still doing this or not), the candy store/ice cream place, duck hunt, bean bag toss, scavenger hunt, Sky Zone on the Panorama, Imax/Thrill Theatre on the Vista & Horizon, putt-putt course, shuffle board and table hockey and some of the other games in the Red Frog, cards, Dominoes, shake spot, movies on the Lido at night, the evening shows, the pools (other than Havana and Serenity) if they are potty trained...there are a lot of things to do with kids under 5.  

• Like 1

On our first cruise, kids were joined at their parents hips the entire time. Very limited things to do. It was even worse on NCL. Kids pretty much only had the arcade, splash area, and one slide. Everything else was shutdown or removed from the ship. Playing Mario Kart or making a paper airplane are fun for a few minutes.

• Like 1

I don’t know how to reply individually to everyone. I will be sailing 8/27/22. I did not know about the vac’s for kids under 4. I’ll look in to it. I haven’t cruised with little ones in so many years I forgot about the other things we can do. I’m just nervous and excited at the same time. Still a bit disappointed that Camp Carnival is closed. I would have loved to take my son there so we can play together in that area. Regardless we will have a blast. Thanks for the input. 

• Like 1

On 6/19/2022 at 8:29 PM, CruisinRach said:

I guess the activities available really depend on the class of ship, but we did a spirit class with our daughter on her 3rd birthday in October. She loved the splash area, also she liked to hang out in the bench/ foot soaking area of the regular pool and we had fun trying mini golf. I took her to have her nails painted at the spa. We also brought coloring books, a matching game, books, a small new toy, also downloaded movies from disney+ for offline viewing she liked to watch 1 when our 6 month old was napping. She enjoyed hanging out with us on the balcony, looking for fish and dolphins. She likes going out to eat so she enjoyed meals in the dining room and 1 in the steakhouse. She also liked dancing to the live music, she really likes guitars. We took walks and people watched. By time you throw in the heat of the Caribbean and a beach day she was pretty zonked. There’s also an arcade, but we didn’t go in there so I’m not really sure how age appropriate the games are. We’re going again in august and I think we’ll try taking her to 1 of the shows this time since she’s been taking dance classes and so I think she’ll enjoy seeing that. The bigger ships definitely have more options, but even on the smaller ones she really had a wonderful time and can’t wait to go again. 

Sounds like an awesome time!!  Definitely take her to the shows!  My DDs (now 19 & 21) started cruising at 4 & 6 and loved watching the "big shows".  Maybe bring a pashmina shawl or blankie because the theatre can be a bit chilly.  My DDs sometimes would fall asleep cuddled up next to me and Daddy. 🥰 

• Like 1

Piggy backing off of everyone.  Several parents reported that the camp being closed to under 5 is no longer because of COVID but because of staffing (this is what they were told aboard several ships).  Obviously that is not an official statement.  So, sadly, I'm not sure if the vaccination eligibility of under 5 matters - especially since they opened the camp up to 5+ regardless of vaccination status. Rumor is things may go back to normal in the fall after some sort of hiring period goes through.  Again, not an official statement. 

Also remember, your little must be potty trained, no swim diapers allowed, to use the pools and splash areas.

I say this as a mama bringing her 2 year old on the Legend in October! I've done a ton of research of what we may or may not be able to do.  As someone else mentioned, Dr. Seuss isn't back yet on all ships.  I want to say the parade was back on Mardi Gras, but not the breakfast 😞

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2022 at 6:36 PM, LAHAPPY13420 said:

I don’t know how to reply individually to everyone. I will be sailing 8/27/22. I did not know about the vac’s for kids under 4. I’ll look in to it. I haven’t cruised with little ones in so many years I forgot about the other things we can do. I’m just nervous and excited at the same time. Still a bit disappointed that Camp Carnival is closed. I would have loved to take my son there so we can play together in that area. Regardless we will have a blast. Thanks for the input. 

On 6/22/2022 at 9:55 AM, Abr155 said:

Piggy backing off of everyone.  Several parents reported that the camp being closed to under 5 is no longer because of COVID but because of staffing (this is what they were told aboard several ships).  Obviously that is not an official statement.  So, sadly, I'm not sure if the vaccination eligibility of under 5 matters - especially since they opened the camp up to 5+ regardless of vaccination status. Rumor is things may go back to normal in the fall after some sort of hiring period goes through.  Again, not an official statement. 

Also remember, your little must be potty trained, no swim diapers allowed, to use the pools and splash areas.

I say this as a mama bringing her 2 year old on the Legend in October! I've done a ton of research of what we may or may not be able to do.  As someone else mentioned, Dr. Seuss isn't back yet on all ships.  I want to say the parade was back on Mardi Gras, but not the breakfast 😞

looks like Camp Ocean has reopened for 2-4 year olds. 

FEE01EC8-D514-47F3-950D-A466182A0A09.thumb.png.9b0942ce66b891f7576e65ce1fcb1140.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1