specialty dinner reservations

ewildcat7

We are going to be on the cruise over my birthday and my wife wants to do one of the specialty restaurants for dinner and asked me to pick which one I want.  Normally I would have chosen the Pinnacle Grill, but it is the one night that it turns into the other thing.  So, my second choice is the Italian restaurant.  But right now the only reservation they have is at 9:30!  Do any of you know if some reservations are held for onboard bookings?  

3 minutes ago, ewildcat7 said:

We are going to be on the cruise over my birthday and my wife wants to do one of the specialty restaurants for dinner and asked me to pick which one I want.  Normally I would have chosen the Pinnacle Grill, but it is the one night that it turns into the other thing.  So, my second choice is the Italian restaurant.  But right now the only reservation they have is at 9:30!  Do any of you know if some reservations are held for onboard bookings?  

No idea but we managed to get an earlier time on our recent cruise, when we were onboard.

21 minutes ago, ewildcat7 said:

This is my VERY limited, one time experience but I did not enjoy Canaletto. Highly recommend Tamarind if your ship has it. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, bobomonkeyrage said:

This is my VERY limited, one time experience but I did not enjoy Canaletto. Highly recommend Tamarind if your ship has it. 

Thank you.  Although I didn't explicitly state it, I definitely appreciate reviews/recommendations of the specialty restaurants!

My favorite HAL Specialty Restaurant is the Tamarind.  Their presentation is amazing and their desserts are impressive. 

http://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/Nieuw-Amsterdam-Dining---Tamrind/IMG_0567-Large.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/Nieuw-Amsterdam-Dining---Tamrind/IMG_0858-Large.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/Nieuw-Amsterdam-Dining---Tamrind/IMG_0860-Large.jpg

• Like 5

Although I have enjoyed Canaletto, for your birthday I would also choose Tamarind.  Try Canaletto another day if you wish.  Check @Crew News link below for the menus.  His site is great for all kinds of HAL information!  Happy Birthday @ewildcat7!!  Which ship will you be on?  They don't all have Tamarind.

Tamarind Menu - tamarind-dining-experience.pdf (rogerjett-photography.com)

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger

We got off Eurodam last week, my first time with HAL but a dozen cruises with other cruise lines.  We had "have it all" plus some on board credit to spend so we did all three restaurants.  The choice amongst the three of us was unanimous - Tamarind was the best for both food and service.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ewildcat7 said:

We will be on Nieuw Amsterdam and Tamarind is an available option.

Tamarind is the best option IMO.  We also like to do it when we are in a port late, as often the views of the port area are very pretty, since you are up so high in the ship.

• Like 2

Apart from the yummy food, the other advantage of Tamarind is location. They do a good job with Canaletto of separating it from the Lido but it isn't its own space. Go early to Tamarind for a beverage in the bar area. Makes a lovely evening.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

Tamarind is the best option IMO.  We also like to do it when we are in a port late, as often the views of the port area are very pretty, since you are up so high in the ship.

Yes, being up high gives the great views from Tamarind and the Silk Den bar.  This is why I intentionally do NOT book Tamarind on days the ship has a good chance of choppy seas, such as the California coast.  Those days I want to eat in lower areas of the ship if it does get bouncy!!  On Alaska cruises from Vancouver, it shouldn't be much of an issue unless there is an actual storm.

~Nancy  

I like Tamarind, not only for the fine food, but generally it can be quiet.  Even if there are a good number of people in there, it seems more quiet than other venues. Maybe it's just me, but sometimes the main dining room can be obnoxiously loud and overbearing.  Not always, but some.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I see that this veered off a bit, however, regarding the original question of how many tables are held for onboard reservations:

Going on Zuiderdam Sept 9 and see that, for the most part, if you want to reserve at Pinnacle most days you have to wait until 8 pm. Have you had luck, once onboard, of getting a specialty dinning reservation for a time not offered in advance on the website or app?

On 6/28/2022 at 10:37 AM, ewildcat7 said:

We will be on Nieuw Amsterdam and Tamarind is an available option.

I would choose Tamarind over Canaletto any day........

Edited by doone
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, chas said:

regarding the original question of how many tables are held for onboard reservations:

Going on Zuiderdam Sept 9 and see that, for the most part, if you want to reserve at Pinnacle most days you have to wait until 8 pm. Have you had luck, once onboard, of getting a specialty dinning reservation for a time not offered in advance on the website or app?

You might ask in a new thread. The "veering" of this thread just has more people singing the praises of the Tamarind!