Dress for men on non-formal nights

brucedodge

On 7/3/2022 at 1:59 AM, Thaxted said:

Sport coats are no longer mandatory on non-formal nights. As the Cunard website explains, "Smart attire simply means a dress shirt and trousers, skirt and a top, or a cocktail dress.

What on earth is a 'sport coat'?

1 hour ago, shipgeeks said:

A jacket that is similar to a suit jacket, but not matched to the trousers. Perhaps tweed. Perhaps a navy blue blazer.

And not to be confused with items made by Nike/Adidas/et al.

On 7/5/2022 at 11:07 PM, Lakesregion said:

Absolutely. You don't see many photos of the full dress Cunard folks posing with boarding passengers in Trainers.

Though if they had decided to wear trainers you would never know as the photo ends near their knees! 🙂

4 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Anyone can dress, as they please as far as I'm concerned, as long as no obvious dress guidance is flouted.

It's the disparaging comments aimed at those who don't meet the personal standards of a few posters on here  which gets up my nose and it has absolutely nothing to do with 'snobbery'. 

High C's nailed it, second paragraph #49. 

Agreed - as long as the required dress code is adhered to at the appropriate time then I don’t see an issue.  Let’s not forget people are on holiday and if they choose to wear trainers or dress casually during boarding/in the daytime then that’s perfectly fine.

The ship is a shared space and there is room for everyone, regardless of their sartorial tastes.

Though back to the OP - taking a jacket or a blazer is a sensible idea as it can get quite chilly in the MDR at times!

It's Cunard that set dress code, just follow the spirit of the code . Which simply says "wear what you are comfortable with".  

Which obviously will depend  very heavily on weather. T shirt and shorts if you like in 30 degrees or a suit and tie , it's your choice and no one else's.  Multiple layers if below freezing (or T shirt if you want of course )

As Victoria2 said,  just take no notice of those who want to impose their personal ( mainly 1950s) standards on others.  They do a disservice to Cunard.

2 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

It's Cunard that set dress code, just follow the spirit of the code . Which simply says "wear what you are comfortable with".  

Which obviously will depend  very heavily on weather. T shirt and shorts if you like in 30 degrees or a suit and tie , it's your choice and no one else's.  Multiple layers if below freezing (or T shirt if you want of course )

As Victoria2 said,  just take no notice of those who want to impose their personal ( mainly 1950s) standards on others.  They do a disservice to Cunard.

Please explain why you see dressing to fit the ambiance of the ship that Cunard offers does a  disservice to you and others.

17 minutes ago, Lakesregion said:

Please explain why you see dressing to fit the ambiance of the ship that Cunard offers does a  disservice to you and others.

We're on holiday. The Cunard ambiance I  enjoy might not be the same  others experience. Each to their own.

We want newbies to book, not be put off at the thought of the Style Police monitoring how we look. That is not the Cunard I know and experience. I have absolutely nothing against personal dress standards, whatever they may be as long as they are within the advisories of the daily programme/ t&cs. I do object to  comments which come across as derogatory and at times, arrogant and are aimed at others' dress. This is the disservice to Cunard as far as I'm concerned as it's  sending out signals or perpetuating the myth  Cunard is pretentious.

And it's not!

• Like 3