Cruise with young twins

Hi

we are doing a cruise on the odyssey with our 18 month old twins in sept and was wondering how you find a double stroller on the cruise 

I am also booking excursions and was wondering will the stroller be allowed. A lot of excursions say you need to walk so far and wheel chairs and mobility issues can’t pick this tour etc. does that mean the stroller could be a issue

We are going to Greece etc and everywhere says it’s narrow roads etc so don’t no what to do but my wife still has back issues from pregnancy so holding them all day isn’t really a option. A bit stuck 

You can bring two umbrella strollers if there are two adults (assume there are).  Much easier for travel.   Yes it is a negative in that both adults have to push a stroller, but a big stroller will also eat up a lot of space in a cabin.  Umbrella stroller are very easy to store.   Just a thought and I know no option is ideal.  

• Like 8

43 minutes ago, Garyjames220 said:

Hi

we are doing a cruise on the odyssey with our 18 month old twins in sept and was wondering how you find a double stroller on the cruise 

I am also booking excursions and was wondering will the stroller be allowed. A lot of excursions say you need to walk so far and wheel chairs and mobility issues can’t pick this tour etc. does that mean the stroller could be a issue

We are going to Greece etc and everywhere says it’s narrow roads etc so don’t no what to do but my wife still has back issues from pregnancy so holding them all day isn’t really a option. A bit stuck 

Just keep in mind that their tolerance for sight-seeing is going to be pretty short.  Plan lots of rest time, and also some exercise time for them.  Good luck!

45 minutes ago, Garyjames220 said:

Hi

And whatever you do I would think a double wide would be very difficult.  We had both types of double strollers and never brought them on a cruise.  Just too darn big.   

• Like 3

Cruising is  a really good way to travel with young children, especially if there is  a kids club.  But you should always try to book private excursions, ideally for just your family if you can afford it.  If you can control the itinerary and stop whenever your kids start to melt down and get them some treats, they are likely to recover and you can complete your touring.  Our 3 year old lasted an hour in the Hermitage, and then I took him to the cafe, got him some cake and he was completely happy and ready to run through the fountains at Peterhof.      But if we were on a large group tour, it would be harder to separate when you need to.  By taking breaks, my 3 year old was able to visit all the main attractions in St. Petersburg over two days (but that involved doing things like spending the normal amount of time in the first few rooms of Catherine's palace and then going quickly through the middle because they are lovely, but very similar, and then getting to the amber room.)

A private tour may be able to get you closer to the attractions than where a large bus needs to park.   In St. Petersburg, we were also able to leave the stroller behind in the places it couldn't go, and take it in the museums where it was allowed.  Your tour guide should be able to help you know where you can use it.

On the ship, you should do a visual inspection of the corridors because even a single stroller can't get around the room service carts, or around the mobility scooters if people leave them outside.  So we'd need to look and see where the room service people were, and then head the opposite way to the elevators when we used the stroller.  I've never had more than one kid in a  stroller at a time so I don't know about  a double stroller, but even a single stroller is difficult to maneuver in the corridors when they are blocked so I'd imagine a double wide would be hard. 

On the first morning, go to the windjammer with a bag and bring back fruit and yogurt and boxed cereal (if they still have boxed cereal) so you can  always have snacks on hand in your room.  you absolutely cannot take fruit off the ship, but you can bring sealed food off in all ports (some ports have more relaxed regulations than others, but sealed food should be safe).  Make sure you have snacks for your excursions.  

• Thanks 1

I never had the courage you possess , as i waited until my youngest was 6 before our first family vacation . 

If you are flying, be prepared for your babies not being able to deal with the change in pressure on their ears. A pacifier will help.

I hope it works out well for you and the family.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, topnole said:

You can bring two umbrella strollers if there are two adults (assume there are).  Much easier for travel.   Yes it is a negative in that both adults have to push a stroller, but a big stroller will also eat up a lot of space in a cabin.  Umbrella stroller are very easy to store.   Just a thought and I know no option is ideal.  

When we took my twins on a cruise (at age 4), we brought umbrella strollers and stroller hooks.  Stroller hooks will connect two single strollers to make a double.  They have to be the same stroller model to work though.  On the ship my kids actually pushed their own strollers.  My son would have done this at 18 months too, actually, but you could have one adult for each stroller on the ship.  Off the ship I hooked the strollers together.  For the most part we didn't do excursions with the kids.  I just walked around the touristy port areas with them so I needed something that would work as a double for when I had them by myself.  The stroller hooks make an extra wide double so they only go in very wide doorways when connected, but they are pretty easy to unhook and rehook so I just pushed one kid through at a time when necessary.  

Another option might be a TwinGo carrier for you, assuming you don't also have any back problems, although if your kids are on the larger side that might be a lot for you to carry at once.  

• Like 3

11 hours ago, crusin okie said:

Might want to reconsider your vacation options.  A cruise may not be your best choice at this time.

My question is about a stroller not about been told to reconsider my vacation options on a trip we have booked and paid 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, loman said:

I never had the courage you possess , as i waited until my youngest was 6 before our first family vacation . 

If you are flying, be prepared for your babies not being able to deal with the change in pressure on their ears. A pacifier will help.

I hope it works out well for you and the family.

i no a lot of people that wait until there older but we wouldn’t want to miss out on 6 years off no holidays, they have been on 6 flights already and have always been so well behaved thankfully

so there very good flyers so far, there just back for an 11 hour connecting flight to Orlando and never cried for more than 10 mins the full time, there and back, we put ear muffs on them for take off and landing which I think helps 🙂

they done long park days too for over two weeks so they do seem to quite enjoy been out and about 

Edited by Garyjames220
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Garyjames220 said:

i no a lot of people that wait until there older but we wouldn’t want to miss out on 6 years off no holidays, they have been on 6 flights already and have always been so well behaved thankfully

so there very good flyers so far, there just back for an 11 hour connecting flight to Orlando and never cried for more than 10 mins the full time, there and back, we put ear muffs on them for take off and landing which I think helps 🙂

they done long park days too for over two weeks so they do seem to quite enjoy been out and about 

Well done.  I hope you have a wonderful vacation. 

My question is about a stroller not about been told to reconsider my vacation options on a trip we have booked and paid 

I applaud you teaching your kids to be mobile, flexible and good travelers at an early age.  This is a great thing for them.  But this is a message board.  Did you think no one would suggest not going?  CC is kinda harsh.  You have to just skip over unsolicited advice/comments.  Hope you and they have a great trip.

BTW the post to which you referred was not snarky or rude, just an opinion.

Edited by poocher
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Garyjames220 said:

Hi

Well, first, you said how to find a double stroller?  Just like all vacations, you need to bring your own supplies, so it's time to go shopping and pick items that will work for you.  It is part of the cost of doing vacations.  By my second vacation, I was using umbrella strollers and leaving the big one behind.  An umbrella stroller is easy to manage on tours.....a wheelchair is not, so that is why they tell you about mobility devises.  A stroller is nothing like a mobility device.  You are never going to find the perfect remedy to your specific needs, but whenever possible, you should try to do things on your own, or with a taxi, etc just because it might also make it easier than trying to do things with big crowds. It might be more enjoyable for you, and having less stress. 

14 minutes ago, poocher said:

I applaud you teaching your kids to be mobile, flexible and good travelers at an early age.  This is a great thing for them.  But this is a message board.  Did you think no one would suggest not going?  CC is kinda harsh.  You have to just skip over unsolicited advice/comments.  Hope you and they have a great trip.

BTW the post to which you referred was not snarky or rude, just an opinion.

Aww thanks, well I think it’s always best to start young, that way your used to it, why wait, you never know what’s around the corner 

yeah I think it’s just a silly thing to say to my question, when I’m asking about stroller advice it’s a bit daft advising to cancel a trip and lose thousands of pounds but there we go. I would have never have booked in the first place if we weren’t wanting to go but there we go

6 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

Well, first, you said how to find a double stroller?  Just like all vacations, you need to bring your own supplies, so it's time to go shopping and pick items that will work for you.  It is part of the cost of doing vacations.  By my second vacation, I was using umbrella strollers and leaving the big one behind.  An umbrella stroller is easy to manage on tours.....a wheelchair is not, so that is why they tell you about mobility devises.  A stroller is nothing like a mobility device.  You are never going to find the perfect remedy to your specific needs, but whenever possible, you should try to do things on your own, or with a taxi, etc just because it might also make it easier than trying to do things with big crowds. It might be more enjoyable for you, and having less stress. 

thanks for your tips 

the umbrella stroller sounds good if you can get two that clip together, as that would be easier 

so see these excursions that say you must be able to walk 1-2 miles etc, is that still suitable with a stroller or could it be narrow wee up hill roads. It doesn’t really say and wasn’t sure what to do

i think we might try some on our own and 1-2 with the cruise line 

2 hours ago, Garyjames220 said:

Ignore this ridiculous comment.  We flew to Europe to do a cruise with my daughter when she was one.  Different?   Absolutely.  Would I do it again if I went back in time.  Absolutely.  

• Like 1

thanks for your tips 

the umbrella stroller sounds good if you can get two that clip together, as that would be easier 

so see these excursions that say you must be able to walk 1-2 miles etc, is that still suitable with a stroller or could it be narrow wee up hill roads. It doesn’t really say and wasn’t sure what to do

i think we might try some on our own and 1-2 with the cruise line 

Well, my wife uses a travel mobility scooter, obviously not the same thing, but we traveled all over the world with it.  Is it comfortable? No.  Can it be bumpy? Yes.  Are sidewalks sometimes complicated - narrow and with obstructions?  Yes.  But it is not really different with steollers, but you might reconsider a double wide, and each push one.  Sometimes, I need to give my wife a "boost" going up some areas, but again, it is just the way it is.  Enjoy your trip, don't be afraid, get something light weight, and in the worst case, you might have to carry short distances but most likely not.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, topnole said:

Ignore this ridiculous comment.  We flew to Europe to do a cruise with my daughter when she was one.  Different?   Absolutely.  Would I do it again if I went back in time.  Absolutely.  

yeah I’m not even nervous, after flying to America for 17 nights and seeing how much they enjoyed the parks and everything I no they will love it. Barely cried the whole of that trip. As soon as we got back the crying starting again, they just love doing things and not being stuck in the house. I was amazed cos they only had 1 hour naps max in America every day and they weren’t even moody 

so when did you use your stroller on your trip at one, eg excursions, by pool deck 🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

Well, my wife uses a travel mobility scooter, obviously not the same thing, but we traveled all over the world with it.  Is it comfortable? No.  Can it be bumpy? Yes.  Are sidewalks sometimes complicated - narrow and with obstructions?  Yes.  But it is not really different with steollers, but you might reconsider a double wide, and each push one.  Sometimes, I need to give my wife a "boost" going up some areas, but again, it is just the way it is.  Enjoy your trip, don't be afraid, get something light weight, and in the worst case, you might have to carry short distances but most likely not.  

thanks for some great tips 

where on the ship do you think we will struggle with most with the stroller, seems the stateroom and getting there is the main issue, I’m wondering should I just get a room near the elevator to sort that issue 

we do have one of the smallest double wide strollers you can get, but may need to buy singles if that’s what we need

3 minutes ago, Garyjames220 said:

where on the ship do you think we will struggle with most with the stroller, seems the stateroom and getting there is the main issue, I’m wondering should I just get a room near the elevator to sort that issue 

we do have one of the smallest double wide strollers you can get, but may need to buy singles if that’s what we need

We have 5 kids (including twins) and always book cabins close to the elevators/stairs. I do not know the car seat rules where you are traveling, here in the US some cities have exemptions for taxis (or at least did when my kids were that age).

3 hours ago, Garyjames220 said:

Sounds like you have a wonderful family that is ready for many more vacations. There are many useful suggestions regarding strollers as  the hall ways are narrow . I hope everything goes well for you . Enjoy your cruise 🙂

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Garyjames220 said:

Getting a cabin near the elevator will shorten your walk , but getting one near the back of the ship is a quieter location , as nobody isnt back there unless they have to be . If you have single strollers you will be able to access the elevator , your entry door to the cabin , and maneuver around others more easily ,  as some areas do get congested at times .

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Garyjames220 said:

Hi

The cruise line will not provide a double stroller.  Getting on and off a tour bus with the twins and the double stroller will be a nuisance for both you and the others on the tour.  Walking the hills and narrow cobblestone streets with back issues, hmmmm, that will not be a pleasant experience.

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

The cruise line will not provide a double stroller.  Getting on and off a tour bus with the twins and the double stroller will be a nuisance for both you and the others on the tour.  Walking the hills and narrow cobblestone streets with back issues, hmmmm, that will not be a pleasant experience.

so you think two single strollers would be better 🤷‍♂️

no I don’t expect them to give us a stroller. We need it through the airport etc anyway 

I can’t see it being a issue them putting the stroller underneath in the luggage part of the bus, surly thousands of people have used strollers on excursions 

Edited by Garyjames220