Cruise with young twins

2 hours ago, Garyjames220 said:

yeah I’m not even nervous, after flying to America for 17 nights and seeing how much they enjoyed the parks and everything I no they will love it. Barely cried the whole of that trip. As soon as we got back the crying starting again, they just love doing things and not being stuck in the house. I was amazed cos they only had 1 hour naps max in America every day and they weren’t even moody 

so when did you use your stroller on your trip at one, eg excursions, by pool deck 🤷‍♂️

Always to the pool deck and often all over the ship.  Great for storage and what not (diaper bag, etc.).  That is the negative of umbrella strollers.  You can use hooks to hang stuff on them, but they are so light they can easily tip over so you often need a child in there or a counter weight on the seat.  

As far as off the boat, we only ever did our own things.  But we always brought our stroller.  So before the cruise all over Rome for 3 days  with the bumpy roads.  No issue.  But we brought a regular stroller on that one.  Umbrella stroller would be harder on bumpy roads I’m sure.  Had to carry it though up and down a bunch of stairs (ex the Vatican) so that was a real pain.  Umbrella stroller would’ve been much better easier.   Did Malaga Spain as a port as another example and probably walked several miles with a stroller. No issues at all and some of it was cobblestone as I recall.  Since having more than one kid we once brought our regular size single stroller and an umbrella stroller.  This gave us good storage but also the ability to have both in a stroller when needed.  If your set up is right, the umbrella stroller can store in the regular stroller when not in use.  

Lots of pros and cons.   When we had our second child we got two different double strollers (double long and double wide) and a more significant umbrella stroller (3 D lite was the name and it had some under seat storage which is a huge plus).  We would pick the set up that worked best for the situation.  Going to Disney they are built for even double wides.  Europe is obviously very different.  So go with your instincts for off ship getting around.  On ship I think a double stroller of any type is going to be a challenge, but I’m sure you could manage.  Storage in the cabin would be an issue and just getting around will be a pain.  We have never brought a double on a cruise.  Either way, I would pick near the elevator.  Now if you get a suite, I might make other recommendations.  But if a standard type cabin, space is very limited.  Smaller will be better.  

Pro tip.   Ask your cabin steward for small trash liners for the dirty diapers.  All of you will appreciate them getting sealed in a bag quickly (cabins are small and can take a while to refresh air).  They don’t use liners in the cabin trash bins.  Every room attendant will gladly give you them.  Take some in port with you too.  

I also vote for umbrella strollers because they will be easier to maneuver. Depending on how tall you and your wife are, you may want to pick up some umbrella stroller handle extenders. When my kids were little, we often used an umbrella stroller for travel, but my 6'4" husband had to have the handle extenders because it killed his back to push a stroller all day without them. 

Edited by Acruisingperson
forgot a word

Not sure if it would work with your kids depending on their size and your wife’s back concerns but have you considered using baby carriers during the tours?  We did two Mediterranean cruises before my son turned two and I used an Ergo baby carrier during all the tours to ensure we were able to keep up and get around.  The Ergo was surprisingly comfortable since it redistributes the child’s weight to around your waist.  Your wife may be able to switch the position of the baby if it started to bother her back or have the child walk for a short amount of time. 

• Thanks 1

I was also going to suggest two single umbrella strollers.  When my kids were small, I had a big, comfortable stroller ... but, once they were toddlers, I kept an umbrella stroller in the trunk for quick-and-easy in-and-outs.  Benefits for the cruise: 

- Two parents, two strollers ... it works 

- Small and maneuverable in narrow spots and shops 

- Fold up small for the plane and under the bed in the cruise cabin 

Another thing I used years ago:  I had a toddler-sized fanny pack with a "leash" attached to the back.  The kids loved wearing it because it allowed them to carry a little toy, and it kept them from running away.  It really saved the day when I had a toddler and was pregnant /couldn't run.  

• Like 1

There was a mom of twins who posted frequently on the family boards some years ago. She was a young widow who cruised everywhere with her girls. I believe she used a front to back double stroller rather than a side by side. One thing she strongly advocated was booking private tours, particularly in Europe, so that they could go at their own pace and people on a tour bus would not have to endure a whiny child if one were to get overtired. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

I do not know the car seat rules where you are traveling, here in the US some cities have exemptions for taxis (or at least did when my kids were that age).

unfortunately, the laws of physics do not exempt taxis... I found the taxi drivers in Miami and FLL to be on a crazy side. During one of the rides, I was still standing outside of a taxi buckling my kid into his booster when the taxi driver simply took off.

IMHO, they are all about making the highest number of rides as fast as possible, and do not care about safety.

But OP is going on a Med cruise, so US taxis aren't important at this time.

@Garyjames220

useful boards:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/28-family-cruises/

https://community.babycenter.com/groups/a10635/traveling_with_children

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

As a mother of twins (now about to turn 5), I appreciate your ambition and they seem pretty seasoned already. A couple of years ago, I booked a cruise and posted on here asking for tips. Some folks were so rotten that I wound up cancelling it. I was nervous about it to begin with and some of the comments just made me not want to go. 

That being said, we have traveled plenty of other places with our little beasts. I second the umbrella stroller recommendation and suggest you see if you can figure out a way to carry the umbrella strollers when necessary (i.e. some sort of sling, backpack or whatnot) for those times you are faced with stairs and have to carry the stroller and the small humans down (or at least hold their hands).

Have a wonderful time!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ggrrl1 said:

As a mother of twins (now about to turn 5), I appreciate your ambition and they seem pretty seasoned already. A couple of years ago, I booked a cruise and posted on here asking for tips. Some folks were so rotten that I wound up cancelling it. I was nervous about it to begin with and some of the comments just made me not want to go. 

That being said, we have traveled plenty of other places with our little beasts. I second the umbrella stroller recommendation and suggest you see if you can figure out a way to carry the umbrella strollers when necessary (i.e. some sort of sling, backpack or whatnot) for those times you are faced with stairs and have to carry the stroller and the small humans down (or at least hold their hands).

Have a wonderful time!

Completely agree with above.  We traveled on RCL when our now 4 yo son was only 18 mo.  Strollers are critical and there are many high quality lightweight stollers that can fold up easily.  Can be expensive but good investment if you plan to travel.  We have Uppababy but Yoyo is a brand that can actually folds up and can fit into an airline overhead bin.  Not an endorsement, just sharing experience.  Actually, 18 mo is a great time for airline travel as they frequently will sleep through a plane ride or excursion which are generally free for them.  Just have to use pacifier or breast feed on ascent or descent to avoid ear problems on planes.  More challenging when they are 2 or 3 and get restless.  But Greece has a lot of very roughly paved streets and walkways.  A comfortable stroller for the kiddies and yourself is a must, not to mention the extra bags with wipes, food, clothes, diapers, etc. that can be carried on the stroller.

Most importantly, the feedback on CC can be insensitively harsh about traveling with small children but parents need vacations too!  Nobody should have to wait until children are grown to go on holiday.  But I would really research your options for portable car seats, strollers, etc. so that you can enjoy traveling with your family for many years to come.  Enjoy!

We don't have little ones anymore but I can give you a some advice about Greece. We were there two weeks ago, it was hot but not impossibly so. I guess with young children you need to factor in shade and sun protection. 

A lot of ports you can just get off and do your own thing. 

Rhodes you dock right next to the centre of the old city and a there's a fair amount of shade. 

Mykonos and Santorini we anchored in the bay and tendered to land. Mykonos has very narrow pedestrian only streets but can get crowded. Maybe book a beach tour?

Santorini you can take the cable car up to Fira but again the streets are very narrow and crowded. You could hire a car or stay in Fira. Ensure there are child seats if you book a car on line

Katakolon is the port for Olympia and the ship docks right in the port with the shops and restaurants a few minutes walk.  I would advice giving Olympia a miss and stay in port which is very nice.  There's a cute land train tour that the children would like

Athens would be a good port to take a private taxi tour or stay on board.

Lots of info on the port pages of cruise critic for Greece.

Enjoy your holiday 

Edited by sgmn

19 hours ago, Ggrrl1 said:

Have a wonderful time!

Nice post 🙂 yeah I’ll need to look into strollers 

when we were in Disney for 17 nights the double stroller was quite light. I would carry one in my arms and with my other hand I would sort of give it a wee tug and folded it with the baby on me, it’s very very easy to put up and down but sounds like I’ll need singles

Edited by Garyjames220

15 hours ago, docsneeze said:

Completely agree with above.  We traveled on RCL when our now 4 yo son was only 18 mo.  Strollers are critical and there are many high quality lightweight stollers that can fold up easily.  Can be expensive but good investment if you plan to travel.  We have Uppababy but Yoyo is a brand that can actually folds up and can fit into an airline overhead bin.  Not an endorsement, just sharing experience.  Actually, 18 mo is a great time for airline travel as they frequently will sleep through a plane ride or excursion which are generally free for them.  Just have to use pacifier or breast feed on ascent or descent to avoid ear problems on planes.  More challenging when they are 2 or 3 and get restless.  But Greece has a lot of very roughly paved streets and walkways.  A comfortable stroller for the kiddies and yourself is a must, not to mention the extra bags with wipes, food, clothes, diapers, etc. that can be carried on the stroller.

Most importantly, the feedback on CC can be insensitively harsh about traveling with small children but parents need vacations too!  Nobody should have to wait until children are grown to go on holiday.  But I would really research your options for portable car seats, strollers, etc. so that you can enjoy traveling with your family for many years to come.  Enjoy!

Yeah I totally agree. Why wait years and years to go on holiday again, we have the time of our life’s in Orlando and they loved it and well soo wee behaved, even now when we are back home they see Disney adverts come on and the stop what there doing, smile and watch it 

I hope the cruise is as good as our last trip but I agree not to wait. Who knows what’s going to happen, life’s short, enjoy life now🙂

My friend that has twins got this wagon/stroller crossover from Amazon and she is obsessed with it. You can buckle the kids in, it has a tray for the kids (they face each other) and cup holders at the top handle. I’m not sure if im allowed to link it but if you search for ‘Veer Cruiser’ on Amazon it pops right up. It’s pricey but you will get years of use out it. It folds up very slim so it would fit under the cabin bed. 

This double umbrella stroller served us well over the years. Worked great for travelling with our twins from when they were around 18months til they were up to 5yo. It's light weight yet sturdy. Folds up and open quickly. Fit through most elevators and down cruise ship corridors. Great investment for 5 years worth of traveling with little ones in tow.

https://a.co/d/0R2BhPq

Saw a number of these on Harmony last week.  Significant problems getting elevator space and in hallways.  Wheelchairs and scooters were also having a lot of problems.  The front/rear versions had a bit less issue in halls but still waited a lot for elevators with space.  Piano player in elevator also reduced number of people who could ride a lot.

Depending on where you are going in Europe, be prepared for cobble streets.  Strollers don't work well on these.

15 hours ago, Sweetnspicy said:

My friend that has twins got this wagon/stroller crossover from Amazon and she is obsessed with it. You can buckle the kids in, it has a tray for the kids (they face each other) and cup holders at the top handle. I’m not sure if im allowed to link it but if you search for ‘Veer Cruiser’ on Amazon it pops right up. It’s pricey but you will get years of use out it. It folds up very slim so it would fit under the cabin bed. 

I have twins (plus 3 others) and that would be a monster on a cruise ship (and not even allowed in Disney parks).

A double side by side stroller would be challenging I think on the ship. The halls can be quite narrow. It would be hard to pass people in the halls with the double. I would look into a tandem if you want one stroller or two umbrellas (with connectors) if you want side by side. We have taken the umbrella before which did its job, but got a little bothersome over cobblestoned streets or long walks (just doesn’t handle rough terrain well & is shorter than a normal stroller lol). Also didn’t have the bottom basket for long days. What about a Sit & Stand? It’s tandem, and decently priced for travel. You can fold it up at night if you need the space.

Also, we have never really used the stroller on the ship itself. Just for time off the ship and walking around towns.

For reference, we have 3 young kiddos. We cruise often. Each kiddo started cruising around 5 months to a year. 

On 7/4/2022 at 6:27 PM, Garyjames220 said:

Hi

we are doing a cruise on the odyssey with our 18 month old twins in sept and was wondering how you find a double stroller on the cruise 

I am also booking excursions and was wondering will the stroller be allowed. A lot of excursions say you need to walk so far and wheel chairs and mobility issues can’t pick this tour etc. does that mean the stroller could be a issue

We are going to Greece etc and everywhere says it’s narrow roads etc so don’t no what to do but my wife still has back issues from pregnancy so holding them all day isn’t really a option. A bit stuck 

Personally, I can't imagine spending on a cruise with two toddler twins to care for.  Little ones can raise quite a fuss during a tour when the guide is talking or especially in a museum where quiet is expected. 

Perhaps for a Caribbean cruise, it would be less an issue.

Still, I wish you well.

Just note, that having been to Greece several times, that the streets and sidewalks are not always in the best condition.

On 7/5/2022 at 12:40 PM, topnole said:

Always to the pool deck and often all over the ship.  Great for storage and what not (diaper bag, etc.).  That is the negative of umbrella strollers.  

Years ago I had a fabric organizer fit on the back of an umbrella stroller ... not unlike the over-the-door shoe organizers people rave about on this site, but stroller-sized.  I loved that thing.  

I was in the baby section at Walmart yesterday, and I noted umbrella strollers as low as $15 each.  I noted them because my daughter will be taking my 10-month old grandson on a plane trip in a few months, and she's mentioned needing one.  She can't take her nice big stroller, or at least she can't take it easily.

On 7/8/2022 at 6:17 AM, Turtlelove17 said:

A double side by side stroller would be challenging I think on the ship. The halls can be quite narrow. It would be hard to pass people in the halls with the double. I would look into a tandem if you want one stroller or two umbrellas (with connectors) if you want side by side. We have taken the umbrella before which did its job, but got a little bothersome over cobblestoned streets or long walks (just doesn’t handle rough terrain well & is shorter than a normal stroller lol). Also didn’t have the bottom basket for long days. What about a Sit & Stand? It’s tandem, and decently priced for travel. You can fold it up at night if you need the space.

Also, we have never really used the stroller on the ship itself. Just for time off the ship and walking around towns.

For reference, we have 3 young kiddos. We cruise often. Each kiddo started cruising around 5 months to a year. 

yeah we might end up finding we don’t need it much on the ship

sounds like we might need to get a different kind though 

It's probably not a good idea to take kids that young on a tour.  Their attention spans aren't really that long yet, and if they cry or become fussy during the excursion, it could disturb the other passengers.

Umbrella strollers would probably be your best option for the cruise in general.