No more covid testing required on one Carnival line

3 minutes ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

I read on CNN yesterday that Holland America is no longer requiring pre-embarkation covid testing and there was speculation among cruise industry experts that the bigger lines may soon follow.  Fingers crossed!

On a few select European sailings only.....

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, canes20 said:

At least it is starting somewhere

Viking and P&O also has done this recently before Holland ....generally in the same region. I agree though, the mandatory testing of thousands of healthy people is ridiculous and needs to stop ASAP. Forcing families into clinics and urgent cares or pharmacies when they are not sick and also costing hundreds of dollars possibly is madness at this point. Can you imagine 5 years ago telling a healthy family they may have to go to an urgent care to be tested while not sick? Seems unfathomable....

• Like 17

Very misleading subject. Only on a few cruises in Europe.

Considering covid is present on every US cruise, and given that the US is the poster child for poor covid response, testing will never end in the US.

5 years ago a pandemic was unfathomable. How did that work out? Now it is just a matter of time before the next one appears.

• Like 8

We have been on three cruises in less than a year and each one we have gone and gotten tested. One time the place closed down to testing so off I went in search of another testing facility. It is true many are tired of this procedure but I feel it will sadly remine at least a few months more.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Considering covid is present on every US cruise, and given that the US is the poster child for poor covid response, testing will never end in the US.

5 years ago a pandemic was unfathomable. How did that work out? Now it is just a matter of time before the next one appears.

With testing no longer going to be free, I can see the lines dropping the testing requirement. Covid is not going to go away and will be here. Just keep the vaccination requirement and let the testing go away.

• Like 17

1 minute ago, canes20 said:

With testing no longer going to be free, I can see the lines dropping the testing requirement. Covid is not going to go away and will be here. Just keep the vaccination requirement and let the testing go away.

I would love the no testing! As soon as there is a third booster I am running to get the latest one. Sure you can still get whatever you are getting vaccinated for but at least it will not be as bad. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, canes20 said:

When there is a universal coronavirus vaccine, I could see that happening. We aren't there.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I have yet to pay for a test. We cruise again next month.

We do not cruise again until September so have not been following the paying for testing closely. I think I saw testing was free is you say you have symptoms. Where have you been testing and if it comes down to  being charged if no symptoms, are you going to say you have a cough or fever?

47 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

When there is a universal coronavirus vaccine, I could see that happening. We aren't there.

There is not a universal flu vaccine, but most people still get a flu shot every year. Just add the Covid booster every year

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, canes20 said:

We do not cruise again until September so have not been following the paying for testing closely. I think I saw testing was free is you say you have symptoms. Where have you been testing and if it comes down to  being charged if no symptoms, are you going to say you have a cough or fever?

At an Urgent Care facility associated with a state university and hospital that accepts insurance. Some Urgent Care places are definitely for profit. I have always said it was testing for a cruise.

I won't know if I'm being charged since it has to be processed by insurance first and my insurance is slow.

No, I won't lie. Won't pull tips. Won't cheat at trivia. Etc.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My understanding is if you do have to pay for a test, you can file the charge with insurance and get reimbursed. Even those eMed/telehealth tests are eligible for reimbursement. I do not know if every insurance plan participates, I only know that mine does.

8 minutes ago, canes20 said:

There is not a universal flu vaccine, but most people still get a flu shot every year. Just add the Covid booster every year

I expect that will happen, but a different covid-19 vaccine is being worked on and is in clinicals. It may well transition into a universal vaccine.

https://www.wrair.army.mil/node/645

4 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

At an Urgent Care facility associated with a state university and hospital that accepts insurance. Some Urgent Care places are definitely for profit. I have always said it was testing for a cruise.

I won't know if I'm being charged since it has to be processed by insurance first and my insurance is slow.

No, I won't lie. Won't pull tips. Won't cheat at trivia. Etc.

Our insurance is not worth the premium we pay for it. Been using Walgreens but will probably go with Binox proctored now. 

• Like 1

Just now, Lane Hog said:

Oh, you've paid for it.  Either insurance premiums, or taxes.... 

I long ago paid for it. Now is payback. It is true insurance premiums for some have shot up, but more so because of covid hospitalizations and treatments. Testing and early treatment saves money. Proactive is better than reactive.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, canes20 said:

Our insurance is not worth the premium we pay for it. Been using Walgreens but will probably go with Binox proctored now. 

Cheapest might be the tests from the government and pay for monitoring.

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

Ok, but by the logic, the testing obviously doesn't work because, like you said, covid is present on every US cruise.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Pyxie said:

Ok, but by the logic, the testing obviously doesn't work because, like you said, covid is present on every US cruise.

Logic tells us without testing, there would be more. The only reason we know there is COVID, is because of testing. Doing away with testing does not mean COVID has gone away - just we have chosen to bury our heads in the sand 

• Like 3