Covid Testing Charge

eburk0205

I’m leaving for the Caribbean on Sunday, so I went to CVS and Walgreens to schedule a rapid test, but they are now posting charges to tests for travel. I’m guessing this is because of the release of the flight restrictions. Anybody who’s traveled recently have any advice to still get the free tests? 

28 minutes ago, eburk0205 said:

Thanks everyone! I was able to schedule with quest diagnostics for a free test. 

It's not free. Your insurance company will decide if you need to pay for it.

• Like 1

The governments in the US and Canada will still send you tests FREE.  It is the testing process that may or may not be free.  Proctoring costs as little as $14.99. Cheap.

My county health dept offers free PCR tests for those with symptoms, but these don't work for travel as 2-3 day results.

You might get it done for free, but spending a few dollars is insignificant compared to the cost of a cruise.

What CVS, Walgreens etc did was never 100% free. while the end consumer didn't pay, they charged the government for each test and that wasn't little.

Now that the government stopped paying for these tests it's just natural that the pharmacies etc stopped supplying them. Best it to use the eMed test kits from the comfort of your own home.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

What CVS, Walgreens etc did was never 100% free. while the end consumer didn't pay, they charged the government for each test and that wasn't little.

Now that the government stopped paying for these tests it's just natural that the pharmacies etc stopped supplying them. Best it to use the eMed test kits from the comfort of your own home.

Or any government approved test proctored by any proctoring company.

As of yesterday the US government WAS supplying free tests.  What they are no longer doing is paying for testing - very different.   

If you are not going on a cruise why do a proctored antigen test from Emed or another company?  A free test works fine.  Same kit.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, eburk0205 said:

Thanks everyone! I was able to schedule with quest diagnostics for a free test. 

I use Quest Diagnostics for all of my testing.  Are they offering free testing for travel?  We travel in August 2022

2 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Or any government approved test proctored by any proctoring company.

As of yesterday the US government WAS supplying free tests.  What they are no longer doing is paying for testing - very different.   

If you are not going on a cruise why do a proctored antigen test from Emed or another company?  A free test works fine.  Same kit.

Where/How do you get the Emed kit?

https://store.optum.com/celebrity-cruises-tests/

https://store.emed.com/s/category/covid19-athome-test-with-verified-lab-report-emed/0ZG8c000000LZXk?c__results_layout_state={}

Or you use a home test you either got from the government or purchase locally and use one of the telemed proctoring services which charge $15-$20 to proctor the test and give you the written medical report.

The mandatory pre cruise test can be a problem we are still trying to work it out , we fly   early hours from Glasgow to San Juan in December.

If they keep the mandatory test 2 days before the cruise , it means  we are arriving late at night at San Juan  Puerto Rico  on the Thursday so the only opportunity for us to get a test is at Miami Airport where we have a 4 hrs wait before the flight or in San Juan on the Friday with the cruise  departing on  the Saturday.

We have about 1 hr possibility at Heathrow  to get a test but that's tight.

Celebrity can't confirm if we could get a port side test . It makes you think of not bothering with the stress.

3 hours ago, amoscotti said:

The mandatory pre cruise test can be a problem we are still trying to work it out , we fly   early hours from Glasgow to San Juan in December.

If they keep the mandatory test 2 days before the cruise , it means  we are arriving late at night at San Juan  Puerto Rico  on the Thursday so the only opportunity for us to get a test is at Miami Airport where we have a 4 hrs wait before the flight or in San Juan on the Friday with the cruise  departing on  the Saturday.

We have about 1 hr possibility at Heathrow  to get a test but that's tight.

Celebrity can't confirm if we could get a port side test . It makes you think of not bothering with the stress.

Just learned about this option from a different thread. You can have your at home test read online (proctored) and they will email you results that should work for travel. 

https://onpoint-testing.com/product/certified-teleservice-covid-testing/

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Snit13 said:

I use Quest Diagnostics for all of my testing.  Are they offering free testing for travel?  We travel in August 2022

On their website it says $0 for travel Covid tests with insurance. I have an appointment on Friday morning. Once I finish up, I’ll let you know how it goes. 

1 hour ago, eburk0205 said:

On their website it says $0 for travel Covid tests with insurance. I have an appointment on Friday morning. Once I finish up, I’ll let you know how it goes. 

It doesn't say $0. It says "$0 Out of Pocket with Insurance".  You will get a bill later if your insurance company doesn't cover covid tests for travel.

We always tested two days  at a CVS  in Rhode Island(could schedule 14 days ahead). You drove up, tested and got results immediately with a printed report sent to our home computer.  No charge.  Easy.  This time we had to make an appointment with their Minute Clinic(had to wait just 3 days before date you wanted to make appointment) and when we got there we had to get what I call a mini physical(all vitals, etc.).  We had just been to our doctor last week so they had access to that info I assume since everyone seems to know everything at CVS.  We then had the test and had to wait about 15 minutes and we were good to sail.

I never got a straight answer why the visits are different now but I do understand  from info from CC that CVS is making more money on this.  I have not gotten notice of any charges but we do have supplementary health insurance and Medicare so I am sure it must be covered because we never get a charge for anything it seems(we pay enough already monthly).

I am looking for a CVS or Walgreens near the seaport in FLL to get a test while in Florida so we can go earlier but I do like the idea of testing before we get on the plane.

I am not computer comfortable so would not try the Emed tests while in Florida.

It is so good to sail again!

Walgreens website now shows an amount of $129.99 as cost for travel related tests.

Unless you have a medical reason to get tested such as exposure (pretty sure anyone had exposure to someone with Covid last time you went to the grocery store) or any symptoms.

1 hour ago, dazey said:

I am looking for a CVS or Walgreens near the seaport in FLL to get a test while in Florida so we can go earlier but I do like the idea of testing before we get on the plane.

Can't remember seeing any near FLL. I saw tons of people at the small clinics at a mini mall near the Renaissance while I went to Publix in between my B2B.

There is also testing available at FLL airport.

We usually stay at the Renaissance on 17th Street so will check on that clinic too.

Just checked and the cost billed for the office visit and test at CVS Minute Clinic was $219. 

Does anybody know how far in advance you can make an appointment with OnPoint testing?  I tried asking on their online chat, but got no response.  

A few people on other posts had issues with OnPoint, but because they only charge $14.99 I'll give them a try, but make a back-up appointment with Walgreens.  We already called our insurance company (BCBS) and they said they don't pay for travel testing so we'll be responsible for the $129 per person..

2 hours ago, SueMo said:

Does anybody know how far in advance you can make an appointment with OnPoint testing?  I tried asking on their online chat, but got no response.  

A few people on other posts had issues with OnPoint, but because they only charge $14.99 I'll give them a try, but make a back-up appointment with Walgreens.  We already called our insurance company (BCBS) and they said they don't pay for travel testing so we'll be responsible for the $129 per person..

Please follow up with your OnPoint experience. Thank you

8 hours ago, amoscotti said:

thanks Kilkoyne will look at the web site 

Looks like OnPoint has a few "glitches" but if you're prepared you can get by some of them (have confirmation number, cruise booking number, and passport number on hand). Some said it went easy while others struggled. 

Edited by kilkoyne