Thanks for screwing up our trip from the start, NCL

AllenO

11 hours ago, LaCal said:

If it’s not till August 1st why’s it to late to change and go a day early? 

Especially if it was the result of an airline schedule change.  GEnerally, if they change the flight by more than a couple of hours, you have the ability to decline that change and take a different available flight with the airline (assuming availability)

16 hours ago, SeaShark said:

Yes they do.  You could not be more wrong. We've done it whenever we've traveled with other people and this is the first time in our 10 cruises with other couples that it has ever been screwed up so badly  To be charitable, I must assume you have never tried it.  Linking reservations is common when people, for instance, want cabins to be next to each other such as family members.  If one cabin gets changed, both will get moved.  It's the same with flights when the cruise line makes them.   

See...here is another example showing misunderstanding and/or a lack of information...NCL does NOT link reservations.

36 minutes ago, AllenO said:

NCL doesn't link reservations...with Freestyle cruising there is no assigned dining so you don't need to link to be seated together. You may think you're reservations are linked, but try to find anywhere on your NCL paperwork that shows the linkage...or even a place for the  linkage.

For anyone interested in a bus transfer from Anchorage to the cruise port (Seward, Whittier),  here is a link for a company we just used to go from the Seward cruise port to the Anchorage airport.  The highway and rail road run along side each other in may places.

https://alaskacruisetransfer.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_ejho5vn-AIVugOzAB2fhA2sEAAYASAAEgKtl_D_BwE

• Like 1

19 hours ago, SeaShark said:

See...here is another example showing misunderstanding and/or a lack of information...NCL does NOT link reservations.

I have talked to phone reps who agreed to "link" two reservations, but was told that to the best of their knowledge it didn't really do anything.  I think, at a minimum, it's a notation in their system that the people in two different cabins are traveling together.  It can't hurt, but it may not accomplish much.  Who knows?

18 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I have talked to phone reps who agreed to "link" two reservations, but was told that to the best of their knowledge it didn't really do anything.  I think, at a minimum, it's a notation in their system that the people in two different cabins are traveling together.  It can't hurt, but it may not accomplish much.  Who knows?

As has been discussed previously on these boards, reps (TAs and PCCs) feel that it can be easier to just humor people and tell them their reservations are linked as it a) doesn't do anything, and b) isn't even noted anywhere on your reservation. If it makes people feel better, than it becomes nothing more than a little white lie.

However, the next time you cruise with liked reservations, ask them on the ship about which other reservation you are linked to, and they'll tell you that they have no idea what you're talking about. As noted earlier, there isn't even a space on your confirmation where a linkage could even be listed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SeaShark said:

As has been discussed previously on these boards, reps (TAs and PCCs) feel that it can be easier to just humor people and tell them their reservations are linked as it a) doesn't do anything, and b) isn't even noted anywhere on your reservation. If it makes people feel better, than it becomes nothing more than a little white lie.

However, the next time you cruise with liked reservations, ask them on the ship about which other reservation you are linked to, and they'll tell you that they have no idea what you're talking about. As noted earlier, there isn't even a space on your confirmation where a linkage could even be listed.

So, your response to my saying that linking doesn't really do anything is to tell us all that linking doesn't do anything.  Think about that for a moment.  Are you that desperate for an argument?

If it makes you feel any better, there have been times when I've later called to discuss a reservation and the agent has acknowledged that it is linked with another.

1 minute ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

So, your response to my saying that linking doesn't really do anything is to tell us all that linking doesn't do anything.  Think about that for a moment.  Are you that desperate for an argument?

If it makes you feel any better, there have been times when I've later called to discuss a reservation and the agent has acknowledged that it is linked with another.

Maybe it is you that should be thinking about it for a moment. If you are saying that linking doesn't really do anything, and I am also saying that linking doesn't do anything, then this is an "agreement", not an "argument".

Listen, if you feelz better thinking you have a linked reservation, its no skin off my back. Please enjoy that belief....it doesn't affect me either way. However, you'll have to keep that in mind when, like the OP, something happens that shouldn't have happened because of some belief that linking was done.

• Like 3

On 7/6/2022 at 8:04 AM, joyy7403 said:

The airlines are so unreliable now you have to fly in at least the day before. Can’t blame NCL, they have no control over the airlines’ schedule. I’m sorry you had to learn the hard way. Took us 3 days to get to Iceland last month. Luckily we were flying in 5 days early.

Could have sailed to Iceland in 3 days...  🙃

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, SeaShark said:

Listen, if you feelz better thinking you have a linked reservation, its no skin off my back. Please enjoy that belief....it doesn't affect me either way. However, you'll have to keep that in mind when, like the OP, something happens that shouldn't have happened because of some belief that linking was done.

There you go again....  It appears to be an administrative thing.  Nothing to do with "feeling better."  If I make two reservations at the same time and they are linked in the NCL system, when I next call to do  something with one (apply promo credits, make payments, etc), the agent can immediately see the other as well without having to go through their verification routine.  You seem to be suggesting that folks think that this linking is some kind of magic wand that will override many things that could go wrong with reservations. Perhaps some do think that, so it is good that I (we?) help to educate them.  You do want to help others in a positive manner, correct?

On 7/6/2022 at 10:27 AM, SeaShark said:

Just to be clear.

Did you book air through the Premium Air Department, OR did you book air as part of the Free at Sea promotion attached to your booking?

My thoughts exactly too, and the question has not been answered.

On 7/6/2022 at 11:02 AM, ziggyuk said:

They literally said they did in their opening line.

No, they did not. They said "IF" they booked the premium air.... not that they in fact did that. Many folks don't realize there's a difference between the white glove premium air, and the free at sea air promotion. Huge difference and the results here would have probably been different if the correct air program was used.

Okay, I'm going to throw this out for discussion.

When I first saw the OP opening post it tweaked something I had read about a month (?) ago with the exact wording including misspelled  words regarding locations, problems, etc.

I'm not a cruise novice but yes, a CC research palm against forehead fumblingly around the site person.
If I'm wrong about this I apologize, as Canadian that comes with respect.

On 7/6/2022 at 3:35 PM, PTC DAWG said:

I doubt the OP will be back, classic hit and run.

What?!?!  Is every OP supposed to respond to every post instantly,  4 hours not enough?  More to life that instant responses on a fantasy land chat room 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

There you go again....  It appears to be an administrative thing.  Nothing to do with "feeling better."  If I make two reservations at the same time and they are linked in the NCL system, when I next call to do  something with one (apply promo credits, make payments, etc), the agent can immediately see the other as well without having to go through their verification routine.  You seem to be suggesting that folks think that this linking is some kind of magic wand that will override many things that could go wrong with reservations. Perhaps some do think that, so it is good that I (we?) help to educate them.  You do want to help others in a positive manner, correct?

Problem with all that is it's all based on "if". You can't help anyone with assumptions, guesses, and suppositions. I'm comfortable with NCL doesn't link...however, you can believe anything you want, I'm not here to change your mind...facts are what they are.

On 7/6/2022 at 3:02 PM, AllenO said:

We're booked on the NCL Jewel from Seward AK, to Vancouver BC on August 1 and had booked our air on NCL's "Premium Air Service" in order to assure we'd make it in time to ride the Alaskan Railway from Ankorage to the port in Seward.

On 7/6/2022 at 4:02 PM, ziggyuk said:

They literally said they did in their opening line.

7 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

No, they did not. They said "IF" they booked the premium air.... not that they in fact did that. 

Oh really, what does the bit I highlighted say then in the opening sentence.
I believe it says "HAD BOOKED" not "IF" ..... maybe new specs before giving people English lessons!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

Oh really, what does the bit I highlighted say then in the opening sentence.
I believe it says "HAD BOOKED" not "IF" ..... maybe new specs before giving people English lessons!

Or reading comprehension lessons. What you keep excluding is where the OP said "Had we known they would screw us over like this we would have left a day earlier but it's too late now to make that change either." With Premium Air, you can make those changes...that is, FWIW, the whole POINT of Premium Air. With Premium Air the change can be made, however, with the Free at Sea air promo changes are not possible. It is this contradiction that people are questioning. It is the inconsistency in statements.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

And now the NY cruiser is confused! Premium air? Free at Sea air? What's the difference? How do you get premium air? Is it only for certain accommodation levels? Can anyone use it? Yikes! So many questions!

There is a HUGE difference between Premium Air and the Free at Sea air promotion. Not too hard to figure out the difference, NCL has an entire page on their website (https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/premium-air) for Premium Air, and of course, the Free at Sea air promotion is discussed ad nauseum in the descriptions and terms & conditions of the promotion. Your booking agent is also going to be a wealth of information when it comes to these items. 

2 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

There is a HUGE difference between Premium Air and the Free at Sea air promotion. Not too hard to figure out the difference, NCL has an entire page on their website (https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/premium-air) for Premium Air, and of course, the Free at Sea air promotion is discussed ad nauseum in the descriptions and terms & conditions of the promotion. Your booking agent is also going to be a wealth of information when it comes to these items. 

Thanks @SeaShark, appreciate the resources! I'll look through these to figure out how we'll book air for our cruise this winter. 

I let my husband talk to our PCC - I prefer to book direct. He enjoys human interaction (makes me shudder just thinking about it haha).

3 hours ago, SeaShark said:

I"m reading it through and it just sounds like Premium lets you make choices about your air booking. As in you can deviate the city you fly into or out of or dates. I don't see anywhere it says that once a booking is made that it can be changed. That would require a certain ticket class on airlines that allow that. 

25 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

I"m reading it through and it just sounds like Premium lets you make choices about your air booking. As in you can deviate the city you fly into or out of or dates. I don't see anywhere it says that once a booking is made that it can be changed. That would require a certain ticket class on airlines that allow that. 

Second bullet point: "Upon receipt of the confirmation, any discrepancies, changes or cancellations to the flight itinerary must be communicated prior to the option date on the confirmation letter."

3 hours ago, SeaShark said:

Second bullet point: "Upon receipt of the confirmation, any discrepancies, changes or cancellations to the flight itinerary must be communicated prior to the option date on the confirmation letter."

I suppose this relies on how long after the confirmation letter is sent that the ‘option date’ is. If it’s 24 hours, it’s not really the ability to make changes, just a short period to correct mistakes.

3 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

I suppose this relies on how long after the confirmation letter is sent that the ‘option date’ is. If it’s 24 hours, it’s not really the ability to make changes, just a short period to correct mistakes.

I'm not sure that "what if it's 24 hours" is really an honest argument to make. What if it's 24 days, or 24 weeks instead? 

Why can't we just deal with the facts we have instead of making up "what if" scenarios to argue against?

14 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

I'm not sure that "what if it's 24 hours" is really an honest argument to make. What if it's 24 days, or 24 weeks instead? 

Why can't we just deal with the facts we have instead of making up "what if" scenarios to argue against?

I’m just not making the assumption that these flights are changeable based on the information given. They aren’t advertised as changeable. Just customizable.