NYC Car Service

pmoniz

Our group will be taking the train to NYC pre-cruise in Sept. We are looking for a car service for 3 transfers. We do not want to use Uber or Lyft or Taxi. Looking for recommendation on car service. Thanks

3 hours ago, pmoniz said:

Our group will be taking the train to NYC pre-cruise in Sept. We are looking for a car service for 3 transfers. We do not want to use Uber or Lyft or Taxi. Looking for recommendation on car service.

As mentioned, Carmel or Dial 7 are the big ones, but UberBlack will most likely be nicer vehicles and a more efficient pickup. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pmoniz said:

Our group will be taking the train to NYC pre-cruise in Sept. We are looking for a car service for 3 transfers. We do not want to use Uber or Lyft or Taxi. Looking for recommendation on car service. Thanks

Www.Dial7.com Look on the website for coupons. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, markeb said:

Is there a reason you don't want to use Uber? I'm assuming you're talking Penn Station? To where?

There are 12 of us with luggage. Yes port to Penn Station on return. There it would be 6 of us from Penn Station to a hotel. Rather just all be together than all different ubers

2 hours ago, pmoniz said:

There are 12 of us with luggage. Yes port to Penn Station on return. There it would be 6 of us from Penn Station to a hotel. Rather just all be together than all different ubers

You're going to pay a huge premium for a mini bus van that can transport that many people and their luggage. It will likely cost a couple of hundred dollars.

The trip from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal to Penn Station is only about two miles. When you look at the cost I think you'll see that a few taxis or Ubers makes a lot more sense.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

You're going to pay a huge premium for a mini bus van that can transport that many people and their luggage. It will likely cost a couple of hundred dollars.

Not to mention the massive fuel surcharges that the companies that operate these minibusses are charging right now-- we chartered a 16 passenger Mercedes Sprinter for work in NYC a couple weeks ago. Fuel surcharge was $150 on top of what was already a healthy rate in the several hundreds of dollars. 

And keep in mind that most companies that operate minibusses the size that the OP would need usually charge garage out to garage in-- adding a bunch of cost for time you aren't even utilizing the vehicle. 

• Like 1

Hate to pile on, but I'd price this multiple ways. UberXL maybe 4 with luggage (depending on luggage). Some of them are large vans, but you can't count on that. But for 12 you'd need a minibus and that's a different animal altogether.

Check Dial7 and Carmel for what they have, but the drivers are all private drivers, and many of them probably also take Uber calls. My last couple of times coming into Moynihan Hall I've struggled to get a cab, so we're planning Uber on our next trip. Usually cabbed out and Uber back, but we'll see in August.

On 7/12/2022 at 11:58 PM, markeb said:

Hate to pile on, but I'd price this multiple ways. UberXL maybe 4 with luggage (depending on luggage). Some of them are large vans, but you can't count on that. But for 12 you'd need a minibus and that's a different animal altogether.

Check Dial7 and Carmel for what they have, but the drivers are all private drivers, and many of them probably also take Uber calls. My last couple of times coming into Moynihan Hall I've struggled to get a cab, so we're planning Uber on our next trip. Usually cabbed out and Uber back, but we'll see in August.

Thank you for that info. Carmel quoted us $210 including gratuity. I don't think that's bad at all. May just go with that. Thanks again!

On 7/8/2022 at 3:06 PM, Got2Cruise said:

Www.Dial7.com Look on the website for coupons. 

Flying into laguardia airport on a Tuesday. What is the best way to get to the Downtown Marriott by ground Zero? Should we book in advance for the 2 of us or will there be plenty of taxis and Ubers at the airport?

21 minutes ago, Topdog52 said:

Flying into laguardia airport on a Tuesday. What is the best way to get to the Downtown Marriott by ground Zero? Should we book in advance for the 2 of us or will there be plenty of taxis and Ubers at the airport?

Taxi, Uber/Lyft, car service all work . Typically prices are similar but with booking a car service you know what your cost will be when you book while with Uber you'll be subject to possible surge pricing if demand is high and with a taxi you're subject to fare varying by mileage on the route taken and by the meter running if you're stuck in traffic.

1 hour ago, Topdog52 said:

Depends on your definition of "best".  Public transit is an option, if Best = Cheapest.  Taxi/Lyft/Uber is an option if Best = Easiest.  Fancy limo is an option if Best = Poshest.

BTW, "Ground Zero" isn't a term that is much in favor.  World Trade Center site, 9/11 Memorial, One World Tower, etc are more often used

On 7/8/2022 at 1:30 PM, shof515 said:

Carmel or Dial7

I'm trying to pick a car service for my airport to hotel the day before my cruise (August 14) and  from port to airport on debarkation day. I actually downloaded the Carmel App folowing advice found here. After Googling them I found nothing but horror story reviews. Is Carmel actually reliable and the reviews were "one offs?" Taxis are gross and getting an Uber at the airport in NYC is stressful to find pick up.  

23 minutes ago, WKUTopperFan said:

I'm trying to pick a car service for my airport to hotel the day before my cruise (August 14) and  from port to airport on debarkation day. I actually downloaded the Carmel App folowing advice found here. After Googling them I found nothing but horror story reviews. Is Carmel actually reliable and the reviews were "one offs?" Taxis are gross and getting an Uber at the airport in NYC is stressful to find pick up.  

take a look at dial 7 or Blacklane car services

1 hour ago, WKUTopperFan said:

Few if any people with a satisfactory car service experience will bother to write a review while those with complaints will so what you see on line isn't representative of the overall experience. Carmel transports hundred...probably thousands...of passengers every day and there are sure to be some screw ups.

1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

take a look at dial 7 or Blacklane car services

You can't really put Blacklane in the same category as Dial 7 or Carmel, and the price of their service reflects that. Dial 7 or Carmel can be more appropriately compared to Uber, Lyft or a taxi.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

You can't really put Blacklane in the same category as Dial 7 or Carmel, and the price of their service reflects that. Dial 7 or Carmel can be more appropriately compared to Uber, Lyft or a taxi.

Totally agree-- was just about to write that Blacklane is a premium product in this lineup and is priced that way. 

Dial 7 and Carmel (which are basically indistinguishable from each other) are third party car service aggregators. As long as you keep that in mind, and your expectations are that it will be relatively safe and reliable transportation, you'll be fine. If you expect a new car, well polished driver, etc-- book with something like Blacklane. 

1 hour ago, princeton123211 said:

Totally agree-- was just about to write that Blacklane is a premium product in this lineup and is priced that way. 

Dial 7 and Carmel (which are basically indistinguishable from each other) are third party car service aggregators. As long as you keep that in mind, and your expectations are that it will be relatively safe and reliable transportation, you'll be fine. If you expect a new car, well polished driver, etc-- book with something like Blacklane. 

As an aside, AFAIK Blacklane is also just a booking portal for third party drivers and limousine services and doesn't own any cars or employ any drivers. On their website they solicit applications from limo services and drivers to join their service.

4 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Yes you are correct in comparing Blacklane with others I was mentioning two car services that I am going to use for my trip in Oct