realistic onboard time for glory sailing

ballarinamom

We will be cruising out of NOLA on the glory soon. We have 10:00-10:30 boarding group A03. What’s a realistic time to be on board? Trying to decide if we need to eat breakfast before we board. Two teenagers will want to sleep as late as possible and skip breakfast. Trying to avoid Hangry embarkation 😂

Edited by ballarinamom
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hoosierpop said:

We were on the 6/5 sailing and boarding started at 11:00. So A03 wouldn’t be too far behind the start. Of course, if there’s a delay disembarking, that could change boarding.

Yes, the delays and immigration can always cause issues. So i better grab some beignets! 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Have not sailed out of NO in a long time, so I will give you a general answer. If the ship is ready for boarding you will be on very  quickly with a 10:30 check in time. If the ships not ready you will go to the waiting area until they call you boarding number. Have had both these situations happen to us many times

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bgrmini said:

Realistically, between 11 and 2.

we’ve been on over 15 cruises with different línes. I think the longest we’ve been delayed was due to an immigration issue which delayed us two hours. I’m just not the biggest fan of the NOLA port. 

Edited by ballarinamom
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ballarinamom said:

WHAT?????

When we arrived back from our recent Glory cruise we watched as a half dozen police or customs officers(not sure) lead handcuffed individuals off the ship early that morning. One was a gentleman staying in the cabin across the hall who had been yelling for someone to sell him some more dope the night before. These folks were followed by individuals that had been quarantined during the sailing. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bandman said:

When we arrived back from our recent Glory cruise we watched as a half dozen police or customs officers(not sure) lead handcuffed individuals off the ship early that morning. One was a gentleman staying in the cabin across the hall who had been yelling for someone to sell him some more dope the night before. These folks were followed by individuals that had been quarantined during the sailing. 

WOW! 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, slavigne5577 said:

There seems to be a delay in boarding because multiple people are being  arrested off ship.

You'd be surprised to know this is not uncommon at cruise ports.
 Check the Cruise Cam at galveston.com and and as soon as the ship(s) dock and the Deck Zero gangway is secure those that got new silver locking bracelets are led off the ship. Usually it's one or two, but we have seen as many as five. That doesn't delay the debarkation from Deck 3 via the enclosed gangway.
 The passenger manifest is run for warrants while the ships are at sea, and if a felony warrant is present and the warrant holder wishes to extradite then you will see the above described parade.
 Early morning on the Gulf Freeway on ship day it's common to see a police vehicle from area law enforcement making their way to GCSO for the transfer. Later in the day on the county website you can see the persons name, age, and charges.

Edited by BallFour4
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's the drugs that are discovered by the drug dogs that really hold up getting off and/or on the ship. When the dogs go through the ship and identify drugs on a floor, the entire floor is locked down until its is searched room by room. 

We were traveling with friends. We were on floor 7 they were on 11. Their floor was locked down. They (everyone on that floor that were not arrested) were not allowed to leave until after 11 am.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ray98 said:

Depends on the sailing.  We were in NOLA in March and experienced total chaos.  The first people did not board until 11am.

What was the chaos?

11:00am and later is what usually(if not always) happens.

Edited by Tiger0613
  • Like 1

Our poor OP just wants to know about breakfast!!  Um, a light 'hotel breakfast' snack usually is good enough. And A03 will be boarding within maybe 15 minutes of A01. As others have said, you'll almost certainly board about 11a.  Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jsglow said:

Our poor OP just wants to know about breakfast!!  Um, a light 'hotel breakfast' snack usually is good enough. And A03 will be boarding within maybe 15 minutes of A01. As others have said, you'll almost certainly board about 11a.  Enjoy your cruise.

Actually Im loving the story! After as many cruises as we've been on we've never seen an arrest! LOL! I think our girls can last until 11:30 for food. Its just easier to let them sleep in than try to make them get up to eat! Thanks!

On 7/11/2022 at 10:31 PM, Tiger0613 said:

What was the chaos?

11:00am and later is what usually(if not always) happens.

10+ people arrested including 1 that hid on the ship and was only discovered after a full blown search by CBP.  One young adult passenger died on board and there was some sort of altercation involving their large traveling family in the terminal.

There were people still disembarking the ship at 11am.  The first boarding zones were readied after 11am because they had ran out of seating inside the terminal.  The first passengers did not actually board the ship until around noon.

On 7/10/2022 at 11:43 AM, ballarinamom said:

We will be cruising out of NOLA on the glory soon. We have 10:00-10:30 boarding group A03. What’s a realistic time to be on board? Trying to decide if we need to eat breakfast before we board. Two teenagers will want to sleep as late as possible and skip breakfast. Trying to avoid Hangry embarkation 😂

Depends upon where you are staying the evening before and how you are getting to the port on cruise embarkation day.  Some nice beignets and coffee, at the French Market for example, could be a nice way to start the day as an alternative to a hotel breakfast (nothing wrong with that either).  Some hotels have transportation to the port or you can Uber over quickly.  

In my limited experience, I find the Carnival terminal easy to get into and out of when driving to the port (and my wife uses a wheelchair).  While Carnival expects you to be there between 10 and 10:30, expect some delays for a variety of reasons (Covid debarkations, police, etc).  You might get lucky and have no problems ( I have had no problems in New Orleans but I do a later embarkation time).

The fact that the parking lot is part of the cruise terminal makes New Orleans easy to negotiate.  

Have a great cruise

41 minutes ago, lostsoulcruiser said:

Depends upon where you are staying the evening before and how you are getting to the port on cruise embarkation day.  Some nice beignets and coffee, at the French Market for example, could be a nice way to start the day as an alternative to a hotel breakfast (nothing wrong with that either).  Some hotels have transportation to the port or you can Uber over quickly.  

In my limited experience, I find the Carnival terminal easy to get into and out of when driving to the port (and my wife uses a wheelchair).  While Carnival expects you to be there between 10 and 10:30, expect some delays for a variety of reasons (Covid debarkations, police, etc).  You might get lucky and have no problems ( I have had no problems in New Orleans but I do a later embarkation time).

The fact that the parking lot is part of the cruise terminal makes New Orleans easy to negotiate.  

Have a great cruise

We'll be right at Bourbon and canal and Cafe Beignet near by. The French Market is a bit too far to get there and back to the hotel for luggage. Plus TWO girls will want to be "camera ready" when they get on the ship LOL Making them go somewhere early to eat isnt going to happen. we're doing the 11:00pm cemetery tour and I'm sure some of Bourbon St after. It will be a late night/ early morning.  But I think my original plan of grabbing beignets and coffee will work if they can get on before 11:30 for real food. Otherwise the Hangry girls will come out! LOL

Edited by ballarinamom
  • Like 1

In the big scheme of things Carnival provides staggered arrival and boarding times for order, process and civility reasons. Whatever time our boarding passes have that is the time we always arrive. 

We are all leaving the Port at the same time, they packed enough Guys Burgers for everyone and we will all arrive back at the Port at the same time.  

Slow Down and Enjoy the Voyage!