Jogging trail on Grandeur of the seas.

21 minutes ago, JOHN 57 said:

I would like to know, how long is the jogging trail on Grandeur of the seas.  Thank you.

My memory tells me somewhere between 1/10th to 1/8th of a mile.  This is going back a few years so I’m assuming it is still the same.  The negative as I recall is it being up on one of the sun decks and you often have to navigate around people who move their deck chairs right into the track and/or people just meandering around and standing right in the middle of the track.  It is suboptimal at best as I recall.  

40 minutes ago, davekathy said:

4 laps is equal to 1 mile on the Grandeur walking/jogging/running track.

My memory on the length was off by a bit.   Not bad given oasis class is about 2.5 laps per mile.  However the issue of deck chairs and people in the way is still an issue for much of the day.  OP, get your jog in during the morning if possible.  Much better for avoiding the varying obstacles.  

2 hours ago, topnole said:

The negative as I recall is it being up on one of the sun decks and you often have to navigate around people who move their deck chairs right into the track and/or people just meandering around and standing right in the middle of the track. 

That's why I try and go early in the morning while most folks are still sleeping 🥱.  Yeah, I'm one of those early risers 😉 😅

• Like 1

2 hours ago, topnole said:

My memory on the length was off by a bit.   Not bad given oasis class is about 2.5 laps per mile.  However the issue of deck chairs and people in the way is still an issue for much of the day.  OP, get your jog in during the morning if possible.  Much better for avoiding the varying obstacles.  

I find a nice alternative is the deck where the life boats are. (I think deck 5 on the Grandeur) Almost nobody hangs out there and there are few obstacles to navigate around. The downside is that some ships you can't circumnavigate around the ship. In that case I just walk up and back. As far as distance, I could care less because I time my walks instead (or simply track steps on my watch). Distance can meaningless anyway if you're not monitoring your heart rate. Your running/walking rates will vary from mine LOL...

Edited by 2chiefs

3 hours ago, topnole said:

I start my walking NLT 6:00 and done by 7:30. A lot of people like to sleep in or sit and drink a few cups of liquid energy before getting out and about. 

1 hour ago, 2chiefs said:

I find a nice alternative is the deck where the life boats are. (I think deck 5 on the Grandeur) Almost nobody hangs out there and there are few obstacles to navigate around. The downside is that some ships you can't circumnavigate around the ship. In that case I just walk up and back. As far as distance, I could care less because I time my walks instead (or simply track steps on my watch). Distance can meaningless anyway if you're not monitoring your heart rate. Your running/walking rates will vary from mine LOL...

I don't count steps or laps. I shoot for 1.5 hours of nonstop walking. 

• Like 1

And for those who hate getting up early on their cruise (me!) another good time is late afternoon into early evening (only works if you don't have early dining). At that time most folks have left to get ready for their evening activities and you get a fairly unobstructed track.

That said, if you want to do any serious training, consider using the treadmills in the gym instead. I find the tracks on the smaller ships are just too small for me and I can't get a decent session in on them.

21 hours ago, 2chiefs said:

And I just cross over (inside) to complete my walk and get a different view.  I don’t understand blocking off what was supposed to be a promenade deck on Vision class.

On 7/11/2022 at 12:17 PM, davekathy said:

4 laps is equal to 1 mile on the Grandeur walking/jogging/running track.

That doesn't seem right, especially to someone who has run 1000 miles on a 1/4  mile track.  I just got off Enchantment and it was 6 laps there (aprox) 

54 minutes ago, BillOh said:

That doesn't seem right, especially to someone who has run 1000 miles on a 1/4  mile track.  I just got off Enchantment and it was 6 laps there (aprox) 

Maybe your math is off! Enchantment and Grandeur could be slightly different even though the same class.   https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/grandeur-of-the-seas-74/jogging-track-201599/jogging-track--v9942620/

Edited by davekathy

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

Maybe your math is off! Enchantment and Grandeur could be slightly different even though the same class.   https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/grandeur-of-the-seas-74/jogging-track-201599/jogging-track--v9942620/

Enchantment and Grandeur were twin sisters at birth.  Enchantment was stretched, so the jogging track should be longer than Grandeur.

On 7/11/2022 at 11:00 AM, topnole said:

Agree on the people in deck chairs and other obstacles. I've tried multiple times to run on the track on Voyager class ships and there's constantly people just Lolly-gagging and standing in the way, or walking on the "fast" side of the track. To be fair, I'm sure those people are wondering who the heck bothers to go for runs on their vacation and aren't realizing they're in the way or even on the running track, but it's still annoying.

The other thing I find hard about it is that if you are a fast runner, it's very hard to keep up speed with how small the track is, and as often as you have to jump around people or stop/slow down to wait for them to move. 

AND- one last thing, it's freaking hot and humid outside. Very hard to cool off when sweat doesn't evaporate because of the humidity in the air. I gave up and started running on the treadmill in the gym, which feels a little weird because you can tell the ship is moving, but you get used to it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2022 at 10:41 PM, ARandomTraveler said:

To be fair, I'm sure those people are wondering who the heck bothers to go for runs on their vacation and aren't realizing they're in the way or even on the running track, but it's still annoying.

I'm not leaning that way at all.  They know 😤

• Like 1