Husband is worried about quarantine

zitsky

2 hours ago, tinaincc said:

If there is ANY  chance of quarantine you will not find me on a ship, I cancelled our APEX trip and moved it to next Summer to be sure.

What's likely to change between now and then?  Not likely that the actual situation on the ground will be much different a year from now.  It's not like shipboard quarantine is new with COVID.  Only perceptions may change ... one hopes.

Edited by canderson
Typoz

2 minutes ago, zitsky said:

My partner reminded me of a cruise before Covid where I had a sore throat and another where I had allergies.  Could freak people out if they think I have Covid.

People like that should just stay home

• Like 3

We were on a cruise in April.  Before hand we were nervous about Covid, but once on board I don't think we gave it another thought.  Hopefully, the same will happen to you.  (and we did come home Covid-free).

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

My partner reminded me of a cruise before Covid where I had a sore throat and another where I had allergies.  Could freak people out if they think I have Covid.

I have a minor case of COPD, and have learned to cough a bit more discretely when needed.  Can't help you with sneezing.  Your on your own!

1 hour ago, canderson said:

What's likely to change between now and then?  Not likely that the actual situation on the ground will be much different a year from now.  It's not like shipboard quarantine is new with COVID.  Only perceptions may change ... one hopes.

The most likely change will be that the world accepts that Covid is here to stay and becomes treated like the flu - annual vaccinations recommended & no rigorous testing/quarantine regiments.  If you get sick you stay in your cabin and are not treated like a leper. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, mnocket said:

The most likely change will be that the world accepts that Covid is here to stay and becomes treated like the flu - annual vaccinations recommended & no rigorous testing/quarantine regiments.  If you get sick you stay in your cabin and are not treated like a leper. 

As noted ... "perceptions may change ... one hopes".  As mandatory masking in land venues is being discussed again I'm not getting my hopes up for cruises in Summer 2023 just yet.

1 minute ago, canderson said:

As noted ... "perceptions may change ... one hopes".  As mandatory masking in land venues is being discussed again I'm not getting my hopes up for cruises in Summer 2023 just yet.

I just read that San Diego Schools are going to require masks again. UNBELIEVEABLE! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, canderson said:

Just curious ... which line?

I intentionally didn't say because, quite honestly, I can't remember. It wasn't Celebrity, but it was one of the other mass market cruise lines. Like RCL, Carnival, Princess, or NCL. I don't think it would have been HAL and definitely not Disney.

8 hours ago, zitsky said:

I've felt like that on nearly every cruise I've ever taken. There's something in the disinfectant cleaning product they use on board that gets me.

19 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I've felt like that on nearly every cruise I've ever taken. There's something in the disinfectant cleaning product they use on board that gets me.

I hope it’s not contagious.  Some pax might be worried.  😂

• Haha 1

You didn't indicate where your cruise will be departing from -

The protocol is constantly changing and is referenced somewhere on the site in general terms. There are different protocols for each departure country and countries visited.

The one consistent commonalities I have heard is that if Tested Positive you are moved to an isolation room near the medical center if space is available on the day of isolation.   You will remain in isolation for at least 5 days (or end of cruise) and if tested negative you may be released from your room but wear a mask at all times and limited to where you can eat.   Cabin mate has a choice of joining you in isolation or remain in original cabin as long as test negative and will be tested daily for x number of days.

In Europe where there are isolation requirements passengers are permitted to stay aboard at the end of the cruise until out of isolation days by country and then leave the ship wherever that may be.

Canada,  I know has isolation requirements but not sure they are handling it.  

There are currently 2-3 threads by people who tested positive and you can read in details of what happened or is happening.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mnocket said:

I just read that San Diego Schools are going to require masks again. UNBELIEVEABLE! 

And in the middle of this surge San Francisco dropped masking requirements on Bart.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

isolation room near the medical center

TBH, Jim, I think "near the medical center" is complete gaslighting. It's how they explain away isolating in an outside instead of balcony cabin.

7 hours ago, canderson said:

I have a minor case of COPD, and have learned to cough a bit more discretely when needed.  Can't help you with sneezing.  Your on your own!

I have this genetic melody that many have that when I walk into a bright light or glare hits me at a certain angle I start sneezing which can last for 2-3 minutes.   I've learned to stop it by closing my eyes and squeezing the bridge of my nose but still sneeze (trying to be discreet) 4-5 times.

2 minutes ago, RichYak said:

TBH, Jim, I think "near the medical center" is complete gaslighting. It's how they explain away isolating in an outside instead of balcony cabin.

I as being politically correct and quoting their word as I said BS under my breath.   LOL   By putting it in "  "   I thought others would get my tongue and cheek comment.

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, JFontaine said:

I would ask to stay in my cabin in a nice way, and continue to ask and not be dragged away.  Mental health is just as important as anything else. 

Me too

Quarantine is ok if you test positive.  However, with recent cdc changes, will you be tested? With increased capacities on ships,  being quarantined might not be an option.  You may be disembarked at the next port.  That’s what happened to my friends who were sailing on HAL.  Husband fell on the ship. Went to infirmary to clean up his wounds. Got tested. It was positive. He and his wife were disembarked at the next port.  They were taken by ambulance to a hospital, released next day.  Then it was their problem to arrange to get home. Quarantine on the ship was not an option. 

On 7/19/2022 at 4:14 AM, zitsky said:

He plans to mask and is vaccinated.  He just gets crazy thinking about quarantine.  Any suggestions for calming him down?  I asked him, why not cancel our 2022 cruise and do our 2023?  He said, no I want to go on this year’s cruise.

Where’s the best place to find the protocols for quarantine?  Here or on Celebrity.com?

Just be antisocial like us and treat everyone as if they have cooties and he’ll be fine and won’t have to worry about being quarantined. We do. 😂

But when doing so, treat it like a game so you can be in sync with each other while doing it. When going to the dining room when it first opens, ask to be seated away from other people. When going to the theater, find out of the way places on the second and third levels to sit and watch the show where people can’t sit behind you. When the hallways are crowded and you need to get from one end of the ship to the other, either use the partial promenade walkways outside, or go up a few flights of stairs and use the cabin hallways to get to the other end.

And, of course, only use the elevators when absolutely necessary and always wear your mask, like after eating and you have to go up 4+ flights of stairs. But if you have to use an elevator and there are 4+ people already in it, take the next one, or a group decides to get on at an in-between floor, get off and walk the rest of the way up. And of course make sure you book at least a balcony, preferably on the side of the ship that has the most shade base on the map of the itinerary, and don’t forget the aft-facing cabins if they’re still available. This way you can enjoy your downtimes on your balcony rather than hanging out in the crowded public areas.

We have cruised over 100 days since cruising started back up, including four B2Bs and have avoided testing positive while on a cruise so far. Knock on wood as we’re on a B3B right now, which is almost done, and are booked on another B2B in a few weeks. 😁

I know this strategy sounds extreme, but we love to cruise and will do what we feel is necessary to stay safe. And, yes, we have no issues wearing a mask in crowded areas as most folks we are finding don’t wear them anymore. On the Med cruise we’re on right now, maybe 5% wear a mask when going to a show or while on an excursion bus. Of course, that’s why we always mask up and sit in the back of the bus when we’re on a tour.

But, anyway, hope this helps.

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@zitsky I literally just had this conversation with my husband over coffee this morning. I'm a little stressed about our upcoming travel plans, as well, and not thrilled with the idea of being moved from our Sky Suite to a cabin with no fresh air.

But, we do not have to fly for our next cruise, and it's "only" 10 days. We will follow the same protocol as our last 4 pandemic era cruises: self-isolate for at least 2 weeks before boarding, test 2 days before boarding (whether the cruise lines drop that requirement or not), once aboard stay outdoors in the open air and away from crowds as much as possible indoors and out, enjoy our balcony (which we do a lot anyway), avoid elevators, mask in all crowded indoor spaces and on any public transportation for excursions, etc. Sort of a variation on @Ken the cruiser's recommendation.

This has served us well on 4 cruises thus far (5 if you count our B2B as 2), and at home for the past 2.5 years. We are 2 of the few people we know who have not yet contracted Covid, including after our recent Alaska cruise on which we knew and interacted with several people who ultimately tested positive and became ill.  Hoping that following this personal protocol will keep us healthy at least during the cruise and/or minimize the numbers of days we would be isolated on the ship if we do become ill. Then we can simply drive home afterward. So ... 🤞

To be honest, though, if we had to fly to embark and/or fly home, I might well consider cancelling. The stress of dealing with all this, especially with the BA.5 variant running rampant, sort of negates the relaxation I'm seeking from a cruise vacation. Your mileage may vary.

Just a few personal thoughts to the extent they may help.

Edited by 5:00_Somewhere
  • Like 2