RC Assigned Check-in Time - Flexable?

If you're a suite guest you can arrive an hour early. From what I've read it's either no issue or you are stuck waiting in terminal and not allowed to check in. Flip of a coin.  The check in times are there to allow for a more coordinated flow of passengers  so there's less bottleneck

Edited by CruiseWendy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, CruiseWendy said:

If you're a suite guest you can arrive an hour early. From what I've read it's either no issue or you are stuck waiting in terminal and not allowed to check in. Flip of a coin.

Our last cruise they made people wait outside the terminal until check in. Hopefully all the ports continue to do this process. Makes things so much smoother!

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, CruisingHogFan said:

Our last cruise they made people wait outside the terminal until check in. Hopefully all the ports continue to do this process. Makes things so much smoother!

And our last cruise, they were telling people outside waiting to come and get checked-in, and don't wait for your check-in time.

Obviously this is dependent on how busy check-in is at any given time. There were no lines when we arrived (at our scheduled time), so it made sense to get the queued people in and thru, to prevent backups later in the day.

• Like 1

Here's the issue. I live in Cape Canaveral. I stopped by Port Canaveral and viewed the line to get in the terminal- Harmony of the Seas, because we have family sailing on her next week.  The line was HUGE - HOURS long in a very hot parking garage.

I spoke a security guy. He said the line looks like that from noon to 3:00 p.m.  He said that there is absolutely NO line from about 10:00 am to noon and the doors to the terminal open at 10:00 a.m.  From noon to 3:00 p.m, the line is monsterous. Then after 3:00 p.m. there is no line once again.

So if we can get them there at 10:00 a.m. if would actually help shorten the busiest time of noon - 3:00 p.m.  Again, I witnessed this first hand.

Just wondering if they got there when the doors open at 10:00 a.m., would they let them check in or at least wait in the air conditioned terminal.

Here's a video of the line I'm speaking about.

In answer to why they didn't choose an earlier time. Noon was the earliest time available.  

Edited by susanf31
grammar

I had the opposite experience. My check in time was 10:30 and because everyone decided to show up early the line was down the sidewalk and around the building outside in the blaring sun. So, I guess it could go either way. 

• Like 2

That's why I spoke to the security guy. He told me that at that particular cruise terminal that houses Harmony of the Seas, the line is always zero at 10:00 a.m. and the doors open. He suggested to get there then or after 3:00 p.m., and he is there every week.

24 minutes ago, susanf31 said:

That's why I spoke to the security guy. He told me that at that particular cruise terminal that houses Harmony of the Seas, the line is always zero at 10:00 a.m. and the doors open. He suggested to get there then or after 3:00 p.m., and he is there every week.

It probably varies from sailing to sailing.  I mean, you could always show up at 10 and try your luck, but if they don't let you, that is a long time to wait outside.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, susanf31 said:

How strict is RCL on assigned check-in times?

We have a check-in at noon, but would prefer to arrive at 10:00 am. Is that possible?

From my three check-in experiences thus far with RCI over the last few months, they are strict with arrival times. Stick to your assigned times to be fair to everyone please. Edit to add that on each cruise we have received notice on the morning of the cruise to “stick” to the assigned times for check-in. 

• Like 4

We have sailed out of Terminal One at PC 4 times since the restart. We always had 11 or 11:30 check in and there was always a line. Never huge but maybe 15 minutes or so until you could get inside.

• Like 1

Again, let's not get off on a "that's not fair" tangent.

I'm not asking to cut in line. I've been told by a security agent who works at this terminal every week that there is NO LINE at 10:00 a.m.

The question is - if the doors open at 10:00 and we are allowed inside AND THERE IS NO LINE, has anyone ever been able to check-in before their check-in time?

I would think that if there is NO LINE and a people with a noon check-in get there early, they might want to go ahead and board them since such a huge line will soon be building around noon.

If no, then if they arrive at 10:00, right when the doors open, perhaps they will be able to have a seat in the terminal instead of standing in line outside in the heat.

One good thing about Port Canaveral is even if they aren't allowed in, there are several restaurants within walking distance to hang out in while waiting on assigned check-in times.  🙂

Ironically I am the opposite of most, I need a late check in time for our Alaska cruise in Sept.  Ship departs at 8pm and our shuttle service to Seward will have us there around 4pm.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, susanf31 said:

I'm not asking to cut in line. I've been told by a security agent who works at this terminal every week that there is NO LINE at 10:00 a.m.

The question is - if the doors open at 10:00 and we are allowed inside AND THERE IS NO LINE, has anyone ever been able to check-in before their check-in time?

I would think that if there is NO LINE and a people with a noon check-in get there early, they might want to go ahead and board them since such a huge line will soon be building around noon.

If no, then if they arrive at 10:00, right when the doors open, perhaps they will be able to have a seat in the terminal instead of standing in line outside in the heat.

One good thing about Port Canaveral is even if they aren't allowed in, there are several restaurants within walking distance to hang out in while waiting on assigned check-in times.  🙂

I have a 10:30 time in a couple weeks for Harmony, so yes if you arrive early you are essentially cutting the line because you chose a later check in time. If you and all the other 12:00 people show up two hours early, it’s not fair to people who were on the ball and got earlier times. 

I can’t believe grown adults don’t understand this. Nobody likes a line cutter, don’t be that person. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, JuliaSugarbaker said:

I have a 10:30 time in a couple weeks for Harmony, so yes if you arrive early you are essentially cutting the line because you chose a later check in time. If you and all the other 12:00 people show up two hours early, it’s not fair to people who were on the ball and got earlier times. 

I can’t believe grown adults don’t understand this. Nobody likes a line cutter, don’t be that person. 

"Nobody likes a line cutter, don't be that person"? When I specifically said "IF THERE IS NO LINE".  <Shaking my head>. If there is NO LINE then there is NO LINE to cut.  If there is a line, then can they sit in the air conditioned terminal while awaiting their assigned time? Is this question really that opaque or are people really just trying to make this about something that is not even being asked?

5 minutes ago, susanf31 said:

"Nobody likes a line cutter, don't be that person"? When I specifically said "IF THERE IS NO LINE".  <Shaking my head>. If there is NO LINE then there is NO LINE to cut.  If there is a line, then can they sit in the air conditioned terminal while awaiting their assigned time? Is this question really that opaque or are people really just trying to make this about something that is not even being asked?

You’re clearly not getting it. Go at your assigned time and wait your turn like everyone else, so that people who are scheduled before you don’t end up having to wait behind you.

• Like 9

42 minutes ago, susanf31 said:

en·ti·tle·ment
/inˈtīdlmənt,enˈtīdlmənt/
noun

the belief that one is inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment.

How is showing up at 10 to check in at 10 because you want to when your assigned time is 12:00 anything but wanting to cut in line? Just because some random security person told you there was no line at 10am?  Was this person in a position to give you permission from Royal Caribbean to change your check in time?  If everyone cut in line, there would be a huge line at 10am. That is the reason people are assigned times. Just because you don't "prefer" your assigned time does not mean you can just do whatever you want.  Pure sense of entitlement.  For the record, my children knew by kindergarten what entails cutting the line.

If early boarding was so important to you, why didn't you stay up until midnight and check in then?

And it is absolutely unfair to everyone who did plan accordingly and got the early boarding times. Only they are entitled to show up at 10am.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, susanf31 said:

Actually, they won't be sitting in the air conditioned terminal. They will have to wait outside till their assigned noon time.

Nowhere in your original post nor in the title do you even mention "if there is no line."  Your excuses evolved as you received more and more negative feedback.  And you are relying on one single security guard's word. I would be curious to know how many other security guards you queried before you got one that told you what you wanted to hear.

This is a common phenomenon on social media platforms. People ask about breaking rules, get feedback they don't want to hear, and then change and evolve their story, hoping to get just one post that will validate their reason to break the rules.

You may want to view the many, many videos out there that show enormous lines early on for boarding Harmony. None of them back up your security guard's statement.

Edited by cured
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, susanf31 said:

The security guard told you there is no line after 3pm.

If your concern is really about not wanting to stand in line and it is not at all about getting on at your preferred early time as you stated in your original post, then your parents won't mind waiting until 3pm when your security guard says the line dies down.  They can check in and board immediately. No having to wait in that concerning long line.

However, I highly suspect this is more about wanting to board early than it is about any lines.

• Like 2