Alaska Cruises and Blankets

This seems like a silly question, but I’m wondering about blankets on an Alaska sailing (Ovation). I’m planning on spending some morning time on my balcony with a cup of coffee and I expect it to be cold. I’d just wrap up in a blanket. I don’t want to buy one and have assumed that if I ask my cabin steward he can get me an extra for this purpose. Is this correct?

I also have seen lots of pictures of people walking the ship wrapped in blankets. Is this a thing (a sailing homeless encampment)?

The pool decks will have blankets and towels for use.  That is likely the pics you see of people bundled up in blankets.  I guess you could bring one back to the room for use p, but if you are not using the couch as a bed there should be some linens, likely under the bed, you could use.

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

Log into your account and go to Royal Gifts. They sell a fleece for $25 that'll be in your stateroom when you board.

It's a legit fleece, too, not some cheap thing.

I might do that, but it does not seem to be available for my cruise.

51 minutes ago, Jam0610 said:

Agree. Wife wanted a Bear Blanket. Will be delivered to stateroom. Better than trying to pack one and bring it on the plane. Think it was $ 25.00.

But are you taking it back with you?

• Like 1

If you have room in your luggage to bring it home, keep checking if the bear blanket becomes available.  I got one for my daughter and she loved it.  It's a really nice blanket but I didn't realize it would be so large and it was a challenge to get in the suitcase for the trip home.

20220620_184213.thumb.jpg.1419de7e705a151fc9ce720ca202b6e3.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jobe20 said:

Bear blanket doesn’t seem to be available to order before August cruises, can you buy it onboard?

No, you can not buy the nice bear blankets onboard.  They did sell other, much cheaper quality fleece blankets on the ship though.  

I just looked at available "Gifts & Gear" for our August 28 sailing and no blankets of any kind to be seen.  You can buy a beach set though.  just what one wants/needs for Alaska in August/September.  

We were one of 4 couples sailing on the Radiance in July. I ordered a blanket for each cabin and 2 for myself. It was better than expected, cozy and soft. I was concerned with getting it home since we are from Florida but no issues. It it was very lightweight. The only problem was we had such great weather we never used it. If you can’t find it online you should try to call. Best souvenir ever.

• Thanks 1

My cousin found the twin comforters in her cabin and wrapped my aunt up in that (she looked so cute).  Or, you could do what I did the first time.  $4 blanket from Walmart, and I left it with a crew member I had just met who seemed like she would want it (in fact, we had two and when I brought it to her, her friend was staring at it with wide eyes and I looked at the friend and went "want the other one?").  But I never really felt like I needed a blanket.

We borrowed blankets from the towel stand on the pool deck for the duration of our Ovation cruise. They are lightweight fleece. We used both our hoodies and the blankets on our balcony several times. 

I came close to buying the polar bear blanket in advance, but I'm glad I didn't because many people who ordered them didn't receive them.